OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 07:24:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancient Eastern Church "Greek" - heresy?  (Read 382 times) Average Rating: 0
Sorgoros

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« on: July 24, 2012, 03:15:25 PM »

I have noticed that the 4 Apostolic Patriarchates are on the internet quite often referred to as "Greek Orthodox Churches". I was wondering, what is the justification of this i.e. is there any official documentation for such naming?

And more importantly, does this mean that it is an example of philetism?

Thanks in advance for everyone who can answer!
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 03:20:16 PM »

I have noticed that the 4 Apostolic Patriarchates are on the internet quite often referred to as "Greek Orthodox Churches". I was wondering, what is the justification of this i.e. is there any official documentation for such naming?

Reason 1: During the Turkokratia, the Phanar in Constantinople exported ethnically Greek bishops to Jerusalem, the Balkans, Antioch, and Alexandria.

Reason 2: In Arabic, for example, these patriarchates are known as "Roman Orthodox" patriarchates, because they were under the domain of the Eastern Roman Empire and later the Empire of Nicea and Kingdom of Constantinople before the Turks conquered those territories.

In the West, because the Eastern Roman Empire is known as "the Greeks/the Byzantines", they are often called "Greek Orthodox Patriarchates" (I.E. in English).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 03:20:36 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Sorgoros

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 03:31:03 PM »

Reason 1: During the Turkokratia, the Phanar in Constantinople exported ethnically Greek bishops to Jerusalem, the Balkans, Antioch, and Alexandria.

Reason 2: In Arabic, for example, these patriarchates are known as "Roman Orthodox" patriarchates, because they were under the domain of the Eastern Roman Empire and later the Empire of Nicea and Kingdom of Constantinople before the Turks conquered those territories.

In the West, because the Eastern Roman Empire is known as "the Greeks/the Byzantines", they are often called "Greek Orthodox Patriarchates" (I.E. in English).

So, there is absolutely nothing official in that?
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 03:46:18 PM »

So, there is absolutely nothing official in that?
The Patriarchate of Antioch identifies itself on its seemingly-permanently-under-construction website as "Greek Orthodox Patriarchate Of Antioch And All The East", though it has been pointed out that in this case "Greek" is a substitute for "(Eastern) Roman". That name does serve to distinguish itself from other claimants of the title "Patriarch of Antioch" as explained in this article.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »

For hundreds of years, depending on the time and place, all Orthodox (including Russians, Serbians, etc) were called "Greeks" or part of the "Greek church" or "Greek Orthodox" or celebrants of the "Greek rite." That's how Westerners had referred to Orthodox since at least the 9th century, and, at various times, the Orthodox adopted the nomenclature as well. Hence why Metropolitan Platon of Moscow's book was translated into English in 1815 as "The Present State of the Greek Church in Russia."

When it comes to today's discourse on Internet, the patriarchates in question are called "Greek" because they follow "Greek," i.e. Byzantine liturgical traditions, as opposed to the other liturgical traditions that have evolved in Russia, Serbia, etc.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Tags: Constantinople  Alexandria  Apostolic Patriarchate  Jerusalem  Antiochia  title 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: