OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 07:24:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayers for Boyfriend/Girlfriend Relationship (First post)  (Read 2015 times) Average Rating: 0
UnderTruth

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Christian

« on: July 22, 2012, 01:09:58 PM »

Hello! I have been using the forums for a while, in the sense of coming here and searching for answers to my own questions, but have not posted.

I was wondering if there are any traditional prayers or contemporary books including prayers for boyfriend/girlfriend relationships.
My girlfriend and I have been dating for four months now, and I would like to be able to have the force of the traditions of the Church with me in prayer for her and for us as a couple, but I've not found much so far. Especially because we are getting more serious--though we're still a couple of years away from any big ceremonies!--I want to be able to pray strongly and rightly for the blessing she and our relationship are to me.

Thanks!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 01:41:47 PM »

Welcome to the forum (or to posting, anyway) Smiley   Fwiw a couple of the prayers here might be of interest to you. There is also a "Prayer For Purity" in book form, and I can dig up an online version if you want, but you didn't mention this issue specifically so I don't want to assume.  But I'm afraid that's all I have, except to say that reading about the marriage service might be helpful as well.
UnderTruth

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 01:52:14 PM »

Thank you! I guess prayers on that order are good as well, but I'm more looking for broader things, like for communication and for safety and for God's leading in our lives individually and together. Relationshippy stuff, you know? Tongue
It's seemed like the best Orthodox sources are those for couples already married, and I do want to be at least cautious about creating spiritual bonds at a level we are not at yet. But otherwise they have been good sources for inspiration to be modified in my personal prayers.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 01:56:59 PM »

Praying for your romantic relationship is certainly very honorable! I recommend the page that Asteriktos posted. That is a good source for occasional prayers in general.

As you get more serious, even though you say you're still a few years away from any "big ceremonies", it's a good idea to start praying about those ceremonies and asking our Lord and the saints to guide us towards it. Both in relationships and in singleness, I've found comfort in Ss. Kyril and Maria, the parents of St. Sergius of Rodonezh. Unfortunately, a cursory look through Google doesn't turn up anything for them except their lives, but the Hermitage of the Holy Cross in Wayne, WV puts out a booklet with their life, service and akathist. I highly recommend it if you can get it. You can find it here. These saints are very beloved in Russia, and are so because they lived both a pious married life and, afterwards, a holy monastic life, making them close to the hearts of both laity and monastics.

the hymns to them are more general too, (i.e., the whole book doesn't read "let me find my spouse, help me get married, etc.") and revolve generally around praying for your salvation and giving you wisdom and guidance...like the things you mentioned above. I hope that's helpful...

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: