OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 04:13:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Molinism  (Read 271 times) Average Rating: 0
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« on: July 22, 2012, 08:00:45 AM »

Is this a good way to describe Orthodox Christian faith?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molinism

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 03:30:18 PM »

I've heard some describe it as "heretical" but I fail to see how. I think Molinism is a fine theological opinion, and I've certainly used some of Molina's arguments when dealing with both Arminians and Calvinists.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 03:45:40 PM »

I've heard some describe it as "heretical" but I fail to see how. I think Molinism is a fine theological opinion, and I've certainly used some of Molina's arguments when dealing with both Arminians and Calvinists.
It's not exactly "heretical" but I don't see it being compatible with our faith tradition.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 04:07:45 PM »

It's not exactly "heretical" but I don't see it being compatible with our faith tradition.

It's certainly grounded in Scholasticism which isn't directly part of the Orthodox mystic tradition...but then again, I don't bear a torch in the anti-scholasticism lynch mob. I think scholasticism is very useful, as long as we don't let it cloud our vision and we always remember that our ability to reason still ultimately falls short of the ineffable mystery of God.

As long as we remember to stand at awe, instead of trying to define and dissect that which exists beyond our ability to reason, I have no issues with scholasticism and see no reason why people can't maintain views such as transubstantiation, Molinism or other scholastic teachings...as long as we don't make them doctrines and realize that such reasoning and cataphatic theology has its limitations.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: