OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 05:12:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Howdy, another newbie here :)  (Read 840 times) Average Rating: 0
CatherineBrigid

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

@MamaKatOrr
« on: July 19, 2012, 03:04:53 PM »

Grin Hi everyone!  Grin Another Protestant inquirer here.  I have a friend who comes from an orthodox background, which is what initially sparked my curiosity, and have also been listening to Ancient Faith Radio regularly for well over a year, which has further deepened my curiosity.  laugh

Earlier this month I got a copy of The Orthodox Study Bible and started digging in...I feel like I'm discovering the Scripture all over again for the first time (tho I've read the protestant bible cover to cover several times, the notes, etc. in this one - not to mention the "extra" books included - are a whole different perspective.  It's kinda like looking at a gorgeous diamond from a whole 'nother side that you previously hadn't noticed before and learning about whole new facets you didn't even know where there).

I have also just started reading "The Orthodox Church."   Only about 65 pages in but am learning much so far. (and yes, before it's suggested, I did order "The Orthodox Way," several weeks ago from Amazon.com.  Snail-mail is being rather...snailish... it should, in theory, arrive by the end of next week.) 

At this moment I don't have any questions per se; I'm just sorta lurking and reading and absorbing.  Smiley

I do know that you can only read 'so much' about Orthodoxy...it must be experienced and lived as well.  I have not yet had opportunity to visit a church but am prayerfully considering that next step.  I am very active in my current home church, where I've only been for a little more two years (I'm not a church-hopper...was at my previous church for nearly a decade before God very clearly led us to where we are today...so I won't make a move unlessI am confident of God's Will and His timing.  

Spiritually speaking, I'm kind of a "mutt" LOL! Born in very nominal episcopalian family - went to church MAYBE once a year if that.  "Made a decision for Christ" when I was approximately 10 years old, and in my teens took that decision very seriously…have always loved to read the Bible, pray, and seek God's will etc…which made teen life pretty difficult, to say the least, haha.  Anyway, I spent the vast majority of my Christian life in non-denominational charismatic churches, until in early 2003, God planted us in a local Methodist church after the birth of my last child.  We were there until two years ago this past Pentecost Sunday, when God planted us in an amazing Anglican church that I love dearly.  Which, interestingly, is how I first  encountered Orthodoxy - and here I am today.  

As a practicing "third order" Benedictine (meaning, I don't live in a monastery, but do live out the Rule of St. Benedict in my day-to-day life as much as possible and am part of an Anglican/ecumenical Benedictine/Franciscan religious order), I am used to praying morning, evening, and often Compline  prayers (or other hours as possible).  I think many things that drew me to the Benedictine life are at least in part what draws me to Orthodoxy…prayer, surrender, accountability, connectedness, and so forth.  Besides that, as was pointed out to me the other day, Benedict was pre-schism and thus orthodox. Wink LOL.  As a side-note, that's where my screen name came from... IMy abbot named me after Catherine of Sienna, adn my Prior feels that Brigid is also a saint that is very relatable to me, as well.  Thus...Catherine Brigid.

So, yeah, I'm a spiritual mutt curious to find out what God is up to and how He leads me and my little family next.

Nice to meet y'all!  Grin

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 03:08:55 PM by CatherineBrigid » Logged

http://www.SNMOC.org
(St. Nicholas of Myra WR parish)

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
the rain fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of his han
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 03:05:26 PM »

Vwelcome to the forumz!  Grin

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 03:35:34 PM »

Thanks for the wonderful introductory post and welcome aboard.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 04:06:20 PM »

Catherine, I absolutely loved your story,thank you for sharing it.  welcome to the Forum  Grin

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 04:50:55 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Look forward to your discussions.

Once again, welcome!

Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 06:09:46 PM »

Welcome!
Deborah

Faith: Newbie Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Never look back

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 07:31:46 PM »

CatherineBrigid, welcome to the forum and for sharing your wonderful story. 

You're right, the Orthodox faith has to be experienced and lived, not just read about.  Books like Met. Kallistos Ware's are good introductions.  However, the best way to 'get' Orthodoxy is to attend Divine Liturgy.  The first time I went to a DL and in the days following, God "grabbed" me on a deeper level than any reading about Orthodoxy up to that point had done, and confirmed that Orthodoxy was the place where I could meet with God and participate in the Divine Nature in the fullest sense. 

When you are ready, contact the priest of the parish you want to visit, then go.  You will not regret it.

This is a good article to read before going to an Orthodox church for the first time: http://www.frederica.com/12-things/

May God guide and bless you on this journey. Smiley

Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 12:52:59 AM »

Welcome, good story, it reminds me a bit of my own, except of course for the parts where it doesn't, Grin. You've come to a good place. Glad to have on board.  Smiley

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 04:06:47 PM »

Welcome and may the Lord bless your spiritual journey.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 09:33:50 AM »

welcome,
sounds like yr half way to orthodoxy already!
 Wink
may God guide u and yr family (be sure to include them in your journey)
 Smiley
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 10:00:59 PM »

Welcome, good story, it reminds me a bit of my own, except of course for the parts where it doesn't, Grin. You've come to a good place. Glad to have on board.  Smiley

ROFLOL!!!! This made me literally LOL Smiley thanks for the welcome! And nice bike in profile pic!!!!! Ride safe...

and until we meet again,
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 10:02:13 PM »

welcome,
sounds like yr half way to orthodoxy already!
 Wink
may God guide u and yr family (be sure to include them in your journey)
 Smiley

LOL - thank you! Well, as a single mom, my two lill ones kinda HAVE to go where I go.. no worries about forgetting them! Wink

and until we meet again,
Knee V

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 02:21:35 AM »

Welcome!
elephant
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 08:16:44 AM »

Dear CatherineBrigid,

May the prayers of St. Benedict be with you.

Children have a very special place in the Orthodox Church. 

love, elephant
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 12:06:21 PM »

Thank you, Elephant and anyone else I may have missed! Smiley  Grin

and until we meet again,
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 09:45:35 PM »

Welcome to the Convert Issues Forum!

The purpose of the Convert Issues Forum is to provide a a place on the OC.Net where you as an inquirer or newly converted may ask your questions about the  Orthodox Faith in a safe and supportive forum without retribution or recrimination. We wiil try to provide direct and simple answers with sourceswhenever possible..

Once again Welcome to the Convert Issues Forum!

In Christ,
Thomas
Convert Forum Moderator

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
CatherineBrigid

@MamaKatOrr
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 10:26:49 AM »

Grin Grin Grin Thank you for the welcome! I'm really loving it here. Smiley