OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 02:54:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eastern Orthodox as "mother Church"  (Read 577 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« on: July 22, 2012, 08:15:04 AM »

From Dr. Anthony Dragani's Q&A, Eastern Catholics Being Drawn to Orthodoxy: I'm Byzantine Catholic, but lately I've been feeling drawn to Eastern Orthodoxy. I feel like I'm stuck in the middle between Rome and Constantinople, and am very uncomfortable. What should I do about this?

(Unfortunately, the A is to long to quote, per forum rules, so please read it at the link. It's down near the bottom of that page.)

I've been scratching my head lately about the idea (expressed by Dragani as well as some other people I've spoken with) that the Orthodox are the "mother Church" of Eastern Catholics. (I don't mean this as any kind of put down to the Orthodox, I'm just saying.) Can anyone offer any helpful thoughts or arguments?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
soderquj

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 01:32:26 PM »

In a way that is true. Eastern catholics were part on the Orthodox church until they were lured away by Rome. You will see a lot of views from the Orthodox side that do not look on this as anything good.

It seems to establish a dualisity when looking at church doctrine.

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 02:11:58 PM »

A lot of Eastern Catholicism derives from the Orthodox Church (whether it be Byzantine, Oriental or even Assyrian) and has a shared history. So, in that sense, it's very true that some Eastern Catholic jurisdictions are "daughters" of one Orthodox Church or another.

I think a lot of Eastern Catholics are very close to Orthodox theology, but I see in this serious divisions in the Faith between them and Rome, so I do not understand why they insist on a union with Rome when they openly understand and define their faith in contradictory ways.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 02:35:54 PM »

Well, I don't have any problem with that part of Dr. Dragani's statement, that the Eastern Catholic Churches came from Orthodoxy (past tense); but that's not all he means by "mother Church". For example, in the first paragraph:

The fact that you are feeling drawn to Orthodoxy is a sign that you are becoming "one of us," for real. I experienced this draw myself several years ago, with great intensity. I was advised by a certain subdeacon that ALL Eastern Catholics should experience a draw toward Orthodoxy, or else something is wrong. Although we are in communion with Rome, the Orthodox Church is our mother Church, from which we came, and we are supposed to feel a longing for her.

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 03:12:01 PM »

Well, I don't have any problem with that part of Dr. Dragani's statement, that the Eastern Catholic Churches came from Orthodoxy (past tense); but that's not all he means by "mother Church". For example, in the first paragraph:

The fact that you are feeling drawn to Orthodoxy is a sign that you are becoming "one of us," for real. I experienced this draw myself several years ago, with great intensity. I was advised by a certain subdeacon that ALL Eastern Catholics should experience a draw toward Orthodoxy, or else something is wrong. Although we are in communion with Rome, the Orthodox Church is our mother Church, from which we came, and we are supposed to feel a longing for her.

I think what he is aiming at is that Eastern Catholics should feel a strong draw to their "mother Church" as a spur toward reconciliation and reunion. He states as much at the end of his third paragraph:

But for us Eastern Catholics, we must live day in and day out with the discomfort of being separated from our mother Church. And this discomfort is the work of God, for it compels us to work toward unity.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 04:03:07 PM »

I think what he is aiming at is that Eastern Catholics should feel a strong draw to their "mother Church" as a spur toward reconciliation and reunion.

Exactly.

Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 04:46:13 PM »

From Dr. Anthony Dragani's Q&A, Eastern Catholics Being Drawn to Orthodoxy: I'm Byzantine Catholic, but lately I've been feeling drawn to Eastern Orthodoxy. I feel like I'm stuck in the middle between Rome and Constantinople, and am very uncomfortable. What should I do about this?

(Unfortunately, the A is to long to quote, per forum rules, so please read it at the link. It's down near the bottom of that page.)

I've been scratching my head lately about the idea (expressed by Dragani as well as some other people I've spoken with) that the Orthodox are the "mother Church" of Eastern Catholics. (I don't mean this as any kind of put down to the Orthodox, I'm just saying.) Can anyone offer any helpful thoughts or arguments?

I think it is pretty simple for the northern UGCC and the Ruthenians, there is no doubt, Constantinople is their mother Church (the one that gave them birth into Orthodox Catholic Christianity).  They may have skipped over to Rome, but Constantinople is their local mother Church.  It would be harder to argue this with regard to the Melkites and Maronites, who have Antioch as their local mother Church, etc.   
Paisius
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 08:25:36 PM »

The whole thing just seems like a very odd sentiment to me.  Undecided
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »

I think what he is aiming at is that Eastern Catholics should feel a strong draw to their "mother Church" as a spur toward reconciliation and reunion.

Exactly.
The tricky part is that both sides have very different understandings about what "reconciliation and reunion" entails, hence why we are still separated.
Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 10:57:08 PM »

Since I was the "certain subdeacon" I'll respond.  Not only have we come from the Orthodox Churches but they represent the fullness of our our tradition which we have often sqaundered and Latinized.  An Eastern Catholic wanting the fullness of his native tradition, faced with the Latinization of his Church, is certainly going to feel drawn to that from which his ancestors came and which has maintained the tradition.   

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: