OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 02:41:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where have all the Christians gone?  (Read 1529 times) Average Rating: 0
Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« on: July 21, 2012, 12:09:08 AM »

"...Are Palestinian Christians living in the Gaza Strip being kidnapped by Muslims who force them to convert to Islam?

This is a story that is considered taboo among many Palestinians, who prefer to lay all the blame only on Israel.

According to the Greek Orthodox Church in the Gaza Strip, at least five Christians have been kidnapped and forced to convert to Islam in recent weeks.

If anyone has good reason to fear for his life it is Archbishop Alexios, head of the Greek Church in the Gaza Strip, who is spearheading the protests against persecution of Christians and forced conversions.

In the past few days the archbishop has come under sharp criticism from many Palestinians and the Hamas government for daring to speak out about the plight of his community.

Islamic groups and human rights activists in the Gaza Strip claimed that the Christians converted to Islam of their own free will..."

Read on: http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/3181/gaza-christians
kijabeboy03
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 08:41:03 AM »

Kyrie eleison...

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 09:02:58 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Antiochian OC N.A.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 11:01:55 AM »

Islamic groups and human rights activists in the Gaza Strip claimed that the Christians converted to Islam of their own free will..."
Oh, of course! Roll Eyes

"What on Earth was I smoking?"

-My personal reaction when re-reading half of the c**p I've written on this forum.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 11:47:52 AM »

Human rights activists?  What a joke.  They are really apologists for Muslim thuggery in the region especially when Christians are concerned.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 12:45:42 PM »

Kyrie eleison
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 08:45:39 PM »

Lord have mercy
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 08:51:08 PM »

ya Rabb urHam!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 05:02:25 AM »

One more reason why I support an entire full blown European/USA invasion of the Middle East  Roll Eyes One of the few right-wing thoughts that I actually support.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 05:19:54 AM »

One more reason why I support an entire full blown European/USA invasion of the Middle East  Roll Eyes One of the few right-wing thoughts that I actually support.

Thanks, but no thanks.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 05:35:50 AM »

Quite... extreme  Shocked
Zenovia
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 02:38:05 PM »

Quite... extreme  Shocked

I wouldn't wish such a thing as an invasion since our sympathies have always been towards the Islamists because that's where our self interests lie.  (Ex:  Our support for the Sunni's, the most intolerant Muslims in Syria.)  The West has never favored the Christians in the Near and Middle East as well as in the Balkans...and for that reason we're back into a cold war with Russia.  Roll Eyes 
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 02:58:12 PM »

That's not a right wing thought. It's not thought at all. It's something a drunk redneck uncle would say at a family BBQ.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 03:07:25 PM »

No! Enough damage has been done!

-My personal reaction when re-reading half of the c**p I've written on this forum.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 03:22:21 PM »

One more reason why I support an entire full blown European/USA invasion of the Middle East  Roll Eyes One of the few right-wing thoughts that I actually support.

Because these have worked SO well in the past (Crusades, anyone?) and white people (basically, that's what you're saying and there's no denying it so don't bother) have such a great track record.

Posts like this are one more reason why I think your parents should take your computer privileges away until you mature enough to actually think about what you spew across cyberspace before you hit the post button.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 03:23:44 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 03:48:45 PM »

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 05:10:30 PM »

I don't care if it's right-wing or left-wing; it's totally ill conceived.  Let's say, for sake of argument, that such an invasion does take place and Gaza is secured and Hamas is chased out and a new "democratic" government comes in.  What do you suppose will also come in? If you said Evangelical Christians, you'd be right.  They're the ones pushing for invasions of this region so that they can start evangelizing this area since they won't/can't evangelize in places like Iran or Saudi Arabia or any other place where there is a Muslim state government because to do so means death.  And whom do you think they'll try to convert first?  The Muslims?  Oh no. They'll go right after the Orthodox Christians in the area.

JamesR, I didn't realize you were all but 16.  That makes perfect sense as most of the stuff you post here is ludicrous and clearly devoid of thought.  Maybe you shouldn't post here until you're at least 21 and have actually lived a little outside of your sheltered home life.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 05:17:14 PM »

One more reason why I support an entire full blown European/USA invasion of the Middle East  Roll Eyes One of the few right-wing thoughts that I actually support.

I don't care if it's right-wing or left-wing; it's totally ill conceived.  Let's say, for sake of argument, that such an invasion does take place and Gaza is secured and Hamas is chased out and a new "democratic" government comes in.  What do you suppose will also come in? If you said Evangelical Christians, you'd be right.  They're the ones pushing for invasions of this region so that they can start evangelizing this area since they won't/can't evangelize in places like Iran or Saudi Arabia or any other place where there is a Muslim state government because to do so means death.  And whom do you think they'll try to convert first?  The Muslims?  Oh no. They'll go right after the Orthodox Christians in the area.

JamesR, I didn't realize you were all but 16.  That makes perfect sense as most of the stuff you post here is ludicrous and clearly devoid of thought.  Maybe you shouldn't post here until you're at least 21 and have actually lived a little outside of your sheltered home life.
That, on top of the fact that thousands of innocent lives would be lost. The unique cultures and values of the countries in that region would all but die out, as well.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 05:21:41 PM by Severian » Logged

WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 05:43:11 PM »

Don't be so harsh, I know what he said was extreme, but please...
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 05:46:26 PM »

I actually agree with what you are saying. We should try to be magnanimous despite the comment he made.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 07:10:03 PM »

I once felt the same way in my youth.  Then I realized Western culture has just as many problems as every other culture.

Full disclosure:  This REALLY sank in while I was deployed to Iraq and had a chance to meet the everyday people there.  They are no different than anyone else, trying to survive and do right by their family.  Governments seem to be in conflict more than people.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:12:34 PM by Kerdy » Logged
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 08:17:54 PM »

I'm glad 16 year olds can't vote.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 08:20:27 PM »

I'm beginning to think no one should until they are at least 25. Grin
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 08:35:25 PM »

And get student loans, but that's a different matter...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 08:51:41 PM »

I actually agree with what you are saying. We should try to be magnanimous despite the comment he made.
I disagree. The best thing my grandma and some of my classmates did for me back when I was a young, cocky, know-it-all was knock me over the head with the proverbial 2-by-4 a few times. The treatment was harsh, but I had it coming to me. (Has your grandmother ever taken you to the nearest department of transportation building, dropped you off there with all your luggage, and told you to find your own way to your college campus because you had the gall to tell her repeatedly to stop smoking inside her own car?)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 09:06:12 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Zenovia
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2012, 09:03:06 PM »

I don't think anyone should vote, no matter what age they are unless they study all the internal and external issues in depth...and by that I mean from different sources.  When it comes to foreign policy I skim through the spin of the BBC, and then go on to Russia Today, that way I can form a more balanced viewpoint.  Next I go on to my favorite Turkish Newspaper to find out all the information we're not being told...like the Russian war ships heading for the Eastern Mediterranean, and the Israelis  having naval war games with live ammunition outside of Athens... to the chagrin of the Turks of course.  Shocked
Balthasar
Elder

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »

Good question! Where are Syrian Christians heading now? The Alawites/Druze might go to the Iraqi border and settle there, or join the Hizbollah gangs to defend their sect from the Anglo-Saxon-Sunni coalition. Christians were foolish for not having their own enclaves in Syria, Iraq and Egypt. By the way, what role does the Alawite population in Turkey play? There are about 500,000 Alawites in Anatolia.

Let's pray for the safety and wellbeing of our Christian brothers and sisters!
Balthasar
Elder

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 06:48:14 PM »

The makers of the New York Times nowadays are busy with something else.
Perhaps, 100 years ago there were different species of Americans...

The Massacre in Syria / New York Time / 1860 [150 Years to '1860 massacre' of Christians]

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/bloggers/2615715/posts

And this sad story just came in...

Revolt against Assad: Syria’s Christians flee radical rebels

http://www.news-round.co.uk/business/revolt-against-assad-syrias-christians-flee-radical-rebels/

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.

Sorry for the lame translation (Software). The original report appeared on the German magazine "Der Spiegel"

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/aufstand-in-syrien-christen-fliehen-vor-radikalisierten-rebellen-a-845962.html

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:58:36 PM by Balthasar » Logged
Zenovia
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 02:11:15 PM »

Good question! Where are Syrian Christians heading now? The Alawites/Druze might go to the Iraqi border and settle there, or join the Hizbollah gangs to defend their sect from the Anglo-Saxon-Sunni coalition. Christians were foolish for not having their own enclaves in Syria, Iraq and Egypt. By the way, what role does the Alawite population in Turkey play? There are about 500,000 Alawites in Anatolia.

Let's pray for the safety and wellbeing of our Christian brothers and sisters!

France did establish the nation of Lebanon as a Christian nation, but the Muslim minority eventually became the majority as it did throughout the Near and Middle East.  This isn't only because of a  higher birthrate among the Muslims, but  because the Christians are forced to leave in order to escape persecution. 

The Alawites are moderate Muslims, and I know that Israel offered them the Golan Heights.  It is a smart move on Israel's part, because maintaining control of the Golan Heights has always been a problem for them, and if the Alawites (and Christians), are settled there, it would act as a buffer zone and protect them from the more extreme Islamists in control of Syria. 

The Syrian troops have pulled away from the border with Turkey in order to protect Damascus, and the control of the borders has been given to the Kurds.  I see a Kurdistan in the making, and it serves Turkey right.  Turkey created the rebellion and anarchy in order to grab a chunk of Syria, but with a Kurdistan building up next to them,  they might end up losing a chunk of their own nation.  Smiley

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: