OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 04:43:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our Lady of Guadalupe appears on a tree?  (Read 2063 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2012, 11:26:50 AM »

Before we hop on this too hard an hack it to bits, though, if just one of these people turns to the Lord, is it not possible that they see an icon of the Mother of God there?  The guy who cut the tree limb was not trying to be an iconographer, but if the most humble and unintentional icon brings one to faith--have we no mercy?  May the Lord move them to His Faith.  

Hack me to bits instead of hacking these people to bits.  Whether it is OLO Guadalupe or not, I have no doubt that the Theotokos has not chosen this tree as the only place where she will not give intercession to those inclined to the Lord.  

I agree, Father.

Amen. Week after week  for the past ten months, hundreds are flocking to an Orthodox Church in Northeast PA to bring witness to and honor towards the Theotokas. By now it is estimated that over 25,000 have venerated her image which is shedding myrrh. What is significant is that most of them would never have stepped foot in that particular church but for this icon. People from the BCC, OCA, ROCOR , UOC, UGGC, RCC - even some Protestants - and elsewhere in the region who would have crossed the street before EVER entering that Church (the community had one of the most bitterly divisive series of schisms during the 20th century) have come and respectfully paid their respects to the Mother of God. Father is spot on here.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:32:15 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2012, 01:53:17 PM »

I find it very, very difficult to believe that someone as green as this was given a commission to paint a church, or even part of it. Really? To whom was he praying to as he was painting the "icon"?

I once attended an OCA cathedral whose iconostasis was painted by a Protestant, sadly enough.  Hopefully such a thing is extremely rare.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2012, 05:01:08 PM »

I find it very, very difficult to believe that someone as green as this was given a commission to paint a church, or even part of it. Really? To whom was he praying to as he was painting the "icon"?

I once attended an OCA cathedral whose iconostasis was painted by a Protestant, sadly enough.  Hopefully such a thing is extremely rare.
I hope you didn't venerate them, because they can't possibly be svyataya ikona   Wink.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I must have seen Our Lady of Guadalupe 100 times as a kid walking around in the neighborhood woods (mostly around neighbor's yards). 

Before we hop on this too hard an hack it to bits, though, if just one of these people turns to the Lord, is it not possible that they see an icon of the Mother of God there?  The guy who cut the tree limb was not trying to be an iconographer, but if the most humble and unintentional icon brings one to faith--have we no mercy?  May the Lord move them to His Faith. 

Hack me to bits instead of hacking these people to bits.  Whether it is OLO Guadalupe or not, I have no doubt that the Theotokos has not chosen this tree as the only place where she will not give intercession to those inclined to the Lord. 

"..These are Her mountains and skies that she radiates, and through history's rivers of blood she regenerates, and like the Sun disappears only to reappear, she is eternally near.."
Thank you father! Sometimes folks get so caught up in their stone throwing, the forget they are hurting the very innocent and sincere people who may be flocking towards this tree to experience Our Lady.  I experience Our Lady all the time, I wouldn't discount one person's experience over another! There are billions of trees in the world to be sure, and millions more in New York City, and yet for whatever reason folks seem to be experience the Virgin at this one, why should we so cynical? Instead, shouldn't we say Glory be to God that folks are soul-searching in the first place?  In all reality, this tree incident is no more or less reasonable or sensible than any Orthodox Icon streaming myrrh, the difference is a sense of cultural bias and chauvenism which permeates this thread suggesting that one appiration of the Virgin is more legitimate or truer than another, when in all actually, all are equally matters of faith. As I said before, Our Lady is free to appear to whomever and however She wants too Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: