OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 09:55:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Salvation for an Atheist?  (Read 1676 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2012, 04:11:01 PM »

My friends, these are not cut and dry comparisons. No serious comparitive religion scholar supposes that these deities are carbon copies of one another. We're looking at archetypal symbols in the mythos. Variations on themes. Compare the story of Dionysus in The Bacchae with Christ before Pilate.

They were both questioned in a court-like setting? Is that an archetypal symbol?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2012, 06:38:04 PM »

There are some true atheists in the world, but I think most that make the claim are really agnostic.  A true atheist doesn’t care what someone else believes and would not have a hatred of any religion going around attacking them, which we see in many modern self-proclaimed atheists (really agnostics who just hate God).
I don't think they hate God. They are just not brought up well and have no concept of manners and ettiquette.
I have always maintained that there can be no dialogue between Orthodoxy and Atheism. There can only be dialogue between Heterodoxy and Atheism, since in most cases they speak the same language (as can be seen with the pathetic attempts of a certain poster here to engage using the only tools he knows). When pure, real, Atheism meets Orthodoxy, dialogue is impossible and Atheism seeks to assert itself through political power and violence as we saw in the USSR, China and elsewhere. Internet Atheism on the other hand which tries to engage Orthodoxy  is simply unresolved teenager angst entering a battle of wits unarmed.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2012, 07:08:13 PM »

There are some true atheists in the world, but I think most that make the claim are really agnostic.  A true atheist doesn’t care what someone else believes and would not have a hatred of any religion going around attacking them, which we see in many modern self-proclaimed atheists (really agnostics who just hate God).
I don't think they hate God. They are just not brought up well and have no concept of manners and ettiquette.
I have always maintained that there can be no dialogue between Orthodoxy and Atheism. There can only be dialogue between Heterodoxy and Atheism, since in most cases they speak the same language (as can be seen with the pathetic attempts of a certain poster here to engage using the only tools he knows). When pure, real, Atheism meets Orthodoxy, dialogue is impossible and Atheism seeks to assert itself through political power and violence as we saw in the USSR, China and elsewhere. Internet Atheism on the other hand which tries to engage Orthodoxy  is simply unresolved teenager angst entering a battle of wits unarmed.
This is a very interesting analysis with which I really have no serious disagreement.  Much of either of our views is dependent on the individual atheist/agnostic.  I appreciate your comment.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2012, 09:04:31 PM »

When pure, real, Atheism meets Orthodoxy, dialogue is impossible and Atheism seeks to assert itself through political power and violence as we saw in the USSR, China and elsewhere. Internet Atheism on the other hand which tries to engage Orthodoxy  is simply unresolved teenager angst entering a battle of wits unarmed.

So there's never been a really-nice well-adjusted pure-atheist mostly-pacifist fairly-virtuous type guy?  Come on George, you know there's been at least one or two!  police

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2012, 09:08:06 PM »

When pure, real, Atheism meets Orthodoxy, dialogue is impossible and Atheism seeks to assert itself through political power and violence as we saw in the USSR, China and elsewhere. Internet Atheism on the other hand which tries to engage Orthodoxy  is simply unresolved teenager angst entering a battle of wits unarmed.

So there's never been a really-nice well-adjusted pure-atheist mostly-pacifist fairly-virtuous type guy?  Come on George, you know there's been at least one or two!  police
Nope. They just like to think they're Atheists or try to portray themselves as such either for shock value or  other secondary gains.
A true Atheist is a sociopath since they have utterly silenced the voice of God which is the human conscience.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2012, 09:16:49 PM »

I think that's a pretty sweeping generalization, even above Achronos' level, ozgeorge.

But I share your sentiment regarding internet atheism, however.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2012, 09:30:56 PM »

I think that's a pretty sweeping generalization, even above Achronos' level, ozgeorge.

"Atheist" literally means "Godless". Someone who doesn't believe in the existence of God is not necessarily "Godless", since their conscience can still operate, and the conscience is the voice of God in every person. Christ is "the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world" -whether they believe in the existence of Christ or not.
A true Atheist, someone who is Godless, is one who extinguishes this light in himself. A true Atheist, therefore, is Nietzsche's Übermensch - something which internet "Atheists" may fantasize about but never dare to achieve because of the God within them. And those who do strive to achieve it become the monsters of history that we all know.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2012, 09:40:37 PM »

"Atheist" literally means "Godless". Someone who doesn't believe in the existence of God is not necessarily "Godless", since their conscience can still operate, and the conscience is the voice of God in every person. Christ is "the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world" -whether they believe in the existence of Christ or not.
A true Atheist, someone who is Godless, is one who extinguishes this light in himself. A true Atheist, therefore, is Nietzsche's Übermensch - something which internet "Atheists" may fantasize about but never dare to achieve because of the God within them. And those who do strive to achieve it become the monsters of history that we all know.

In short, I am an A-Atheist. I don't believe Atheists exist. Smiley

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2012, 09:46:37 PM »

Well why didn't you say so from the start?  Grin

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2012, 09:59:16 PM »

Well why didn't you say so from the start?  Grin
Would you have believed me?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2012, 10:01:49 PM »

Would you have believed me?

I don't know  angel

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2012, 10:03:40 PM »

And I can't disagree with any of the above TBH. But you are right.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: