OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:23:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shooting at the premiere of Dark Knight Rises..  (Read 4657 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2012, 04:52:58 PM »

Edit
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 04:53:41 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2012, 04:58:37 PM »

Moved to Politics.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:03:49 PM by Νεκτάριος » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2012, 05:01:20 PM »

I want to comment on this but I'll wait until it gets moved into Politics first.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2012, 05:08:33 PM »

If lax gun laws were to blame for shootings like this, there would be many more of them. We (and the rest of the world) have the problems we have not because of laws, but because of moral corruption, which the moral superiority of non-Americans and ex-pats does not negate.

At the very least the wide availability of guns and a culture that worships guns are contributing factors to a serious problem.  In this and other cases mental illness was likely a factor.  In other cases socio-economic issues are at the fore.  But to pretend that the American gun culture has nothing to do with the high rate of violent crime in the US seems a bit far fetched.  The low prices and 24 hour availability of vodka are also not contributing factors to alcohol abuse in Ukraine. 

But the mass-shooting is quite different than the daily murders with guns by gangs of one sort or another. If you look at the elements of the crime, you will find few, if any, commonalities other than the use of a firearm. You cannot fix either, however, without addressing the underlying problems, both of which are also different.

Also, I think the accusation that America worships guns is lame and highly inaccurate.

See the "Guns in Church" and "Show off your guns" threads.  They accentuate the difference between American and European culture pretty accurately.  The very idea that guns are an intrinsic human right is completely foreign to people in many countries around the world - countries which score higher on the varies indices of freedom, HDI, etc.  Whether you agree with American gun policy or not, I think it is a fair statement to make that gun culture is radically different in the US.  Again, I agree with you that to some extent simply clamping down on guns is meaningless without addressing the underlying issue.  On the other hand the complete unwillingness to take a step back and realize that there might be a serious problem is frustrating.  

If you want to keep on the theme, then there are several "gun cultures" in America, and they do not pose the same threats to societal well-being. The "gun culture" intrinsic to American culture from the beginning had primarily to do with self-sufficiency and protection. The "gun culture" that exists in the criminal world is quite different. Then there is the "gun culture" amongst those with violent predilections. That is quite different from the other two. The first gun culture is going to oppose gun regulation as a matter of course in that it infringes on their rights as responsible, law-abiding gun owners. The second gun culture isn't going to care because they can obtain guns easily through the black market, as opposed to the alleged supermarket of gun-buying myth. The third can accomplish their homicidal fantasies through other means.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2012, 05:17:08 PM »

Since this not in a prayer forum I feel it not too far out of bounds to ask

For once you are correct, for at least a sentence fragment.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2012, 05:25:28 PM »

While access to guns is to blame for sure, that is not what is most interesting from a critical ideological perspective.

After all, it is impossible to argue that the sort of access to firearms we have in this country is part of the equation here. You have to be in denial to think otherwise and you would have to be analyst of the magnitude never known to convince those in that degree of denial otherwise.

Given that.

I am especially interest in the non-political political rhetoric now being used. 

I wrote a draft as soon Achronos posted here that I may or may not post. It already critiqued the way the speech would revolve around this "tragedy".

Dunno what "politics" is except everything that humans engage in.

Too many fires in the iron at the moment to go any further, to offer an apt malapropism.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2012, 06:19:45 PM »

For those of you who think of this incident solely as a gun control issue, consider also that the suspect, PhD student James Holmes, has his apartment so thoroughly booby trapped that the triggering of one of his traps may very likely blow up his whole apartment building.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 06:21:34 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2012, 06:22:44 PM »

Honestly I know people are quick to judge James, but I really want to know why he did it and what caused it. Just from some of the background that is emerging he seems like a normal kid but in June 2012 he dropped out of pursuing a PhD. Maybe dropping out caused him to be disillusioned and used the Joker's terrorism from the Dark Knight in some manner. Maybe he blurred reality from imagination by depression or something.

I'm very much interested in the motive here.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2012, 06:27:59 PM »

Honestly I know people are quick to judge James, but I really want to know why he did it and what caused it. Just from some of the background that is emerging he seems like a normal kid but in June 2012 he dropped out of pursuing a PhD. Maybe dropping out caused him to be disillusioned and used the Joker's terrorism from the Dark Knight in some manner. Maybe he blurred reality from imagination by depression or something.

You are falling into the trap . . .

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2012, 06:30:46 PM »

What trap is that? Sympathy for the killer?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »

Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2012, 08:04:29 PM »

But what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2012, 08:18:17 PM »

the question being, who should we blame.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2012, 08:29:46 PM »

This isn't just any old rhyme, though. Wink Achronos and I were quoting an old Rolling Stones song.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2012, 08:40:39 PM »

This isn't just any old rhyme, though. Wink Achronos and I were quoting an old Rolling Stones song.

Ah! peter  laugh that one just passed me by, I will let you get the right come back to Achronos from the Rolling Stones then.  Grin

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2012, 09:06:16 PM »

If lax gun laws were to blame for shootings like this, there would be many more of them. We (and the rest of the world) have the problems we have not because of laws, but because of moral corruption, which the moral superiority of non-Americans and ex-pats does not negate.

At the very least the wide availability of guns and a culture that worships guns are contributing factors to a serious problem.  In this and other cases mental illness was likely a factor.  In other cases socio-economic issues are at the fore.  But to pretend that the American gun culture has nothing to do with the high rate of violent crime in the US seems a bit far fetched.  The low prices and 24 hour availability of vodka are also not contributing factors to alcohol abuse in Ukraine. 

I think meanness is one of the greatest factors.  Should we attempt to regulate a person’s disposition by laws as well?  I have spent most of my life in America and met no one who worships guns.  Violence on the other hand... 

I know some "gun nuts" of the highest degree and some of those are borderline "the government is out to get me", but none of them worship their guns.  I know of one specific person who has a Charlton Heston type gun room, but even he (in his post-apocalyptic scenario based preparation) does not worship guns, unless he also worships bottled water, solar panels, and MRE’s.  Sex and violence fuels far too much of our culture, but nothing shows Americans worship guns.  This is a blatant over exaggeration and ignores the fact people use whatever is at their disposal to hurt someone regardless of what country they live in.  Some of the bloodiest engagements in human history were prior to the manufacture of guns. 

I am sure you have heard this before, but I will repeat it.  “Blaming violence on guns is like blaming obesity on the spoon.”
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2012, 09:09:19 PM »

I am sure you have heard this before, but I will repeat it.  “Blaming violence on guns is like blaming obesity on the spoon.”

Yeah yeah I've heard the argument before, it's the one who pulls the trigger, the gun itself is neutral. But take away the gun and we don't have to worry about the violent aspect of it right? Just like if we took away the McDonalds and fast food we can get rid of the obesity.

However that would remove man's choice, which is something I am diametrically opposed to.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2012, 09:12:31 PM »

For those of you who think of this incident solely as a gun control issue, consider also that the suspect, PhD student James Holmes, has his apartment so thoroughly booby trapped that the triggering of one of his traps may very likely blow up his whole apartment building.

Yes, and if I remember correctly, he had acquired body armor as well.  This was a seriously disturbed individual who had premeditated his murderous actions.  Some of his actions are similar to those who operate clandestine labs, at least with his apartment.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2012, 09:15:18 PM »

As am I.  I would not be surprised to find he suffered from some sort of dependency issues, but who knows.  With the amount of synthetic drugs available to people today it would make sense, but then we have people with nothing in their system chewing off the face of another person for no apparent reason.  Satan's grip is tightening.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2012, 09:19:09 PM »

I am sure you have heard this before, but I will repeat it.  “Blaming violence on guns is like blaming obesity on the spoon.”

Yeah yeah I've heard the argument before, it's the one who pulls the trigger, the gun itself is neutral. But take away the gun and we don't have to worry about the violent aspect of it right? Just like if we took away the McDonalds and fast food we can get rid of the obesity.

However that would remove man's choice, which is something I am diametrically opposed to.

Also, it would not solve the problem.  Without fast food, people would still be fat.  Without guns, people would still commit horrid acts of violence to each other.  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:19:46 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2012, 09:53:17 PM »

But I think people, out of the goodness of their hearts would not choose violence. I'm not that cynical about human nature.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2012, 10:04:24 PM »

But I think people, out of the goodness of their hearts would not choose violence. I'm not that cynical about human nature.

This is where you and I differ.  You (and correct me if I misspeak) believe people are inherently good, while I believe people are inherently bad.  It is easy to do the wrong thing, but we must learn to do the right thing.  This is evident in children and young people.  If a child has a toy taken from them from another child, how often do we see the first child strike out at the second in anger?  Very often, and at such a young age, this is not a learned behavior, it’s already there.  Then you hear mom say, “NO (insert name here)!  We don’t hit other people.”

Granted, there are those who are absolute pacifists and have been their entire lives, but I see them as the minority.  The older I get, the more experience I obtain and the more exposure I have with random people, the more I realized the average person is continually resisting the bad within them, and as our society dissolves around us, the harder they must fight to keep it in (myself included).  Sadly, more and more people are succumbing to that bad, evil, dark, or whatever term you choose to use, which has been there since birth and strike out against the world.  I once believed people would do the right thing when given the opportunity, but I now know that is a rare thing indeed.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2012, 10:23:57 PM »

Just woke up to the news 12 people dead and many wounded in an Aurora, CO. None of my friends involved, thank God. However I did have one friend who was supposed to go but didn't, he's in shock right now.

Truly disgusting stuff and that dude who shot up the place looks exactly how I imagined Satan to look.

Colorado is just insane, now do you see why I want out of this state? Bring on the National Guard to public goings.

No, it happens everywhere.   I think they should have the "comfort quilt" unfortunately.   It's actually a beautiful story.

It was a quilt given by Catholic students made a quilt and gave it to the children of the victims of 9/11 and displayed.
When the Mad Wisconsin shootings happened, it was sent there.
When Katrina happened, it was sent there, and displayed.
When Nickle Mines shooting happened to the Amish, it was displayed at the fire house.  The Amish built a wooden box for it.
When Virginia Tech happened, the quilt was sent there, and displayed.

Well.... Here - http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/209108_From-Nickel-Mines-to-Va--Tech.html

Very beautiful story, and wonderful thing, but I SURE HOPE I never get it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 10:24:55 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2012, 08:15:39 AM »

I have not heard such a stupid argument before.

Obesity is a result of mishandled human natural necessity. Killing is not a natural necessity.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2012, 09:37:43 AM »

Obesity is a result of mishandled human natural necessity. Killing is not a natural necessity.

Yet it is the second thing humans learned to do, right after learning to screw.  Pity you are so ignorant of human nature. 

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2012, 09:41:11 AM »

Michal, your arguments againsts guns (ad nauseum, I might add) will never bear fruit; the right to bear arms is in our constitution. Sooooo, your opinions don't mean diddly.  Kiss

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2012, 10:02:59 AM »

the right to bear arms is in our constitution.

If you had in constitution you can defecate on the streets would you do it too?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2012, 12:09:04 PM »

Perhaps as a result of it not being stupid. 

If we eliminate all guns in the world and people start using bricks to kill, will you argue of the intrinsic evil nature of the brick and promote a brick free society?
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2012, 12:09:47 PM »

But it doesn't say that.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2012, 12:12:04 PM »

He would have found a way without guns

With a teaspoon or a pencil...

Had someone inside been carrying they may have been able to save some lives, as did the 71 year old.

But no one did despite the fact everyone can buy a gun in Colorado.

I wonder why I haven't ever heard about such things in Poland and in the USA they happen every two months. Any ideas?

Teaspoon or pencil?  Give a few moments while I research which one Tim McVey or Eric Rudolph used.  Or the group of Satan worshipping teens decided to use a few years back in North Carolina we found under an old ladies propane tank next to her house.  All I know is its a good thing none of them had guns.  Someone may have gotten hurt.

No response?  Nor any reply about the old man in the cafe?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2012, 12:22:34 PM »

But it doesn't say that.

Yor constitution makes the USA no safer than Somalia.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2012, 12:32:05 PM »

But it doesn't say that.

Proof?  Not to mention that was not the design or purpose of the constitution.  By the way, I've been to that part of the world.  It must be nice to sling around empty one liners.  If I may have a go at it...Polands gun laws do not make Poland safer.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2012, 12:34:07 PM »

Polands gun laws do not make Poland safer.

I don't go to the University with fear I got shot.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2012, 12:36:28 PM »

Nor do I.  What was your point?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2012, 12:39:42 PM »

Nor do I.  What was your point?

You are a brave man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Spree_shootings_in_the_United_States

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2012, 12:43:02 PM »

Michal, your arguments againsts guns (ad nauseum, I might add) will never bear fruit; the right to bear arms is in our constitution. Sooooo, your opinions don't mean diddly.  Kiss
So it's the old Solā Constitutione argument. I guess we're beat. Tongue
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2012, 12:57:10 PM »

Mike, do you have anything of substance to contribute to this discussion?
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2012, 01:59:40 PM »

This cannot be blamed on video games, gun control or anything else.
I don't see the support for that.
http://articles.cnn.com/2008-11-03/health/healthmag.violent.video.kids_1_violent-video-video-games-game-genres?_s=PM:HEALTH

http://islandia.law.yale.edu/ayers/Ayres_Donohue_article.pdf
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »

EDIT - I forgot that I didn't want to sully this thread.  In politics.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:36:00 PM by vamrat » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »

Please don't.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2012, 04:44:43 PM »

But it doesn't say that.

Your use of logic makes you appear no smarter than an amoeba.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2012, 10:09:41 PM »

There's nothing more disgusting about this case than the fact people like Alex Jones are concocting conspiracy theories that the government was involved somehow. Is everything just some big conspiracy theory? He obviously planned this for months and there is virtually no evidence, yet, to confirm he had any relations with the FBI or such.

He was an extremely bright student, at the top of class, and I still can't connect the dots to what happened and the person he supposedly is based on his background. I hope more concrete information surfaces that may indicate prior issues.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2012, 10:13:48 PM »

There's nothing more disgusting about this case than the fact people like Alex Jones are concocting conspiracy theories that the government was involved somehow. Is everything just some big conspiracy theory? He obviously planned this for months and there is virtually no evidence, yet, to confirm he had any relations with the FBI or such.

He was an extremely bright student, at the top of class, and I still can't connect the dots to what happened and the person he supposedly is based on his background. I hope more concrete information surfaces that may indicate prior issues.
Yes, the painstaking level of detail shown in his preparations for this dastardly act are consistent with someone at the top of his PhD class. However, genius intellect does not imply angelic character.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2012, 10:21:03 PM »

Yes, the painstaking level of detail shown in his preparations for this dastardly act are consistent with someone at the top of his PhD class. However, genius intellect does not imply angelic character.
No it doesn't, however I want to know what triggered him to do this. We've only scratched the surface so far on Holmes' background which doesn't show any apparent character issues or psychological problems. I'm sure things will surface more in time and hopefully he admits why he did it instead of his lawyer trying to get him to plead for insanity. Which I'm not denying the latter, by the way, but you know how defense lawyers are in this situation...

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2012, 10:27:41 PM »

BTW CNN practically made a how-to guide on doing the same thing Holmes did.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/justice/colorado-shooting-weapons/index.html

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: