OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 11:08:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Bucket List?  (Read 685 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: July 19, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »

Just out of curiousity, do any of you have a bucket list or have you at least started one? List things in this thread that you want to do at least once in your lifetime before you pass away. Below are some things that I hope to accomplish before my death.

-Visit Mt. Athos at least once
-Lose my virginity
-Attend the Super Bowl once in my lifetime, even though I don't even like football
-Release at least one album to demonstrate my music skills, even if it does not gain mainstream success
-Meet a Patriarch
-Read the entire Bible at least once
-Go sky diving at least once

If I can complete those things then I will die a happy man Smiley

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 09:50:34 PM »

I hated when the notion of a bucket list came to be popular. It ruined my list of things I wanted to have happened to me before I die. The consumerist slant to the bucket list takes away from one of rules I had about my running often forgotten list: I can't "make it happen".

Given that, I'll play along as long we keep in mind these are things I wish would happen to me before I die.

Tried for crimes against humanity. The verdict is really of no consequence. I just want to be tried for a crime against an essence.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:51:12 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 10:03:26 PM »

Never really thought about it for a list. Off the top of my head...

1) Be a Christian (stick to it).

2) Write a nonfiction book and have it published by a reputable publisher. Something by one of the presses in the Book Publishers (as opposed to Small Presses) section of the Writer's Market book would work.

3) Finish college.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 10:07:16 PM »

What instrument do you play, James?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 10:19:51 PM »

I hated when the notion of a bucket list came to be popular.
It could be worse. You know this could be caled The Rusty Bucket list.

Which my own has rusted out due to poor taste.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 12:27:19 AM »

What instrument do you play, James?

The voice, vocals, diaphgram; my heart belongs to hip-hop and funk, along with the electric guitar, although my guitar skills are a bit rusty.

Few more things to add to my bucket list:

-Live long enough to see a unified American Orthodox Church
-Have at least one child to carry on my legacy
-Become as smart as orthonorm
-Run a 5k

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 09:54:56 AM »

Just out of curiousity, do any of you have a bucket list or have you at least started one? List things in this thread that you want to do at least once in your lifetime before you pass away. Below are some things that I hope to accomplish before my death.

-Lose my virginity
Any chance that doing the first will cause you to rethink the second?   Roll Eyes
-Go sky diving at least once

I also wonder why you've put these two points adjacent to each other  Cheesy.

The next time Pascha falls on my birthday (May 7) is in the year 2051. That will be my 99th birthday. I plan to celebrate. You're all invited. Put that on your calendars.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 10:43:22 AM »

I'd like to get my house clean.  I don't mean just dusting...but, purge it of all the "stuff" that's accumulated when I wasn't watching.  I have a tendency to be a pack rat and envision all possible future uses to everything....and therefore, I can't possibly throw it out!  One day I may have to diffuse a nuclear bomb...and I would use parts from that old toaster oven to do so!   ...and don't even ask me what I could do with the old coat rack sitting in the garage...that's top secret.

I would like to make a positive difference in someone's life. 

After years of fruitless attempts, I would LOVE to be able to convince a non-believer, that Orthodoxy is the True Way....and they would actually "get it" and convert.  I would have failed miserably as an Apostle.

I would like to be a useful cog in the machinery of the Church.  Can you imagine, not just living "your" life, but, to do something for the Church?  Something useful and meaningful.  I'm waiting for that day.  Smiley

I would like to have the health and stamina .... and wisdom....to persevere and accomplish whatever God sends my way.

I would love to have the fortitude, wisdom, and patience....to not get so upset with some of the posters and posts on this site and elsewhere.  I want to turn "off" my neon flashing buttons.  Smiley

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 11:19:58 AM »

-Become as smart as orthonorm

Set your goals higher man!

Try to catch up with Cavaradossi then perhaps with a half dozen decades you will reach Opus118 levels of near inhuman understanding.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 11:21:09 AM »

To be disowned in a public display of spite by a wealthy relative and then to be written out of their will.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 11:25:33 AM »

I hated when the notion of a bucket list came to be popular. It ruined my list of things I wanted to have happened to me before I die. The consumerist slant to the bucket list takes away from one of rules I had about my running often forgotten list: I can't "make it happen".

Given that, I'll play along as long we keep in mind these are things I wish would happen to me before I die.

Tried for crimes against humanity. The verdict is really of no consequence. I just want to be tried for a crime against an essence.

The only goal in my bucket list is to become Emperor Vamrat I.  I want a reasonably decent sized nation.  Orthonorm, stick with me in my goal and if we loose I'm pretty sure yours will come to pass as well!   Wink

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 11:29:31 AM »

The only goal in my bucket list is to become Emperor Vamrat I.  I want a reasonably decent sized nation.  Orthonorm, stick with me in my goal and if we loose I'm pretty sure yours will come to pass as well!   Wink

If we win, just throw me under the bus (literally I hope) after running me through a kangaroo court (a literal one I hope (yes I almost wrote hop but not feeling quite that cute today)).

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 11:42:53 AM »

The only goal in my bucket list is to become Emperor Vamrat I.  I want a reasonably decent sized nation.  Orthonorm, stick with me in my goal and if we loose I'm pretty sure yours will come to pass as well!   Wink

Vamrat, you're already an emperor in my book!

Now we all have to practice our curtsy techniques.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:45:11 AM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 12:25:54 PM »

The only goal in my bucket list is to become Emperor Vamrat I.  I want a reasonably decent sized nation.  Orthonorm, stick with me in my goal and if we loose I'm pretty sure yours will come to pass as well!   Wink

Vamrat, you're already an emperor in my book!

Now we all have to practice our curtsy techniques.

Why, thank you!  One more Vamratocrat!  And yes, practicing curties will be necessary.

Orthonorm, you know I wouldn't throw you under the bus.  I might send you through a kangaroo court at some point just tomake sure they work properly.  But I will have use of you yet.  I intend on you being the crazy old guy in Julius Caesar who can warn me of assassination attempts but in such an obscure manner than I totally miss the point and end up getting offed by some Hyperdox Herman sort.  (I mean really, what's the use of being an emperor if you aren't going to get assassinated at some point.  All the cool ones are!)

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 01:12:48 PM »

- Graduate and have some interesting occupation
- Learn several languages fluently
- Move abroad at some point
- Be an armchair Historian, Theologian and Sociologist
- Grow old and start regular pipe smoking
- Have a nice collection of decent whiskeys

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »

I've so done a lot everyone's bucket list stuff.

You all need to find more interesting things to happen to you.

Arrested for Running Amok

Yes, it is possible and has happened to others. I have no idea why it hasn't happened to me yet.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:22:43 PM by orthonorm » Logged

elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 01:29:16 PM »

Dear Liza,

Does ironing wax out of carpeting count as "Something useful and meaningful"?

love, elephant
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 02:18:29 PM »

I suppose it does.  It's important to keep God's House spotless.

However, I've never done that.  I have scraped it off the tiles, and the candle-stand....but, somehow that doesn't seem to compare to actually using a heating element to accomplish the task.

One day I was trying to get wax out of my nephew's stichar at home, when my iron refused to heat up.  I resorted to using a curling iron.  Smiley  Does that count?

—St. Isaac of Syria
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 02:22:20 PM »

You all need to find more interesting things to happen to you.

At this point I would find a "normal" life to be as interesting as I need Smiley

Arrested for Running Amok

"I thought we got to run amok? I'm just standing amok!" - Eddie "Donkey Lips" Gelfen

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
elephant
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 03:07:04 PM »

Dear Liza,

I think we can just kick the thing today and not miss out on anything!

Love, elephant
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 03:41:35 PM »

I'm with you!!!   Grin

—St. Isaac of Syria
elephant
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 03:43:56 PM »

My "bucket list" :

-

love, elephant
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 03:50:54 PM »

My "bucket list" :

-

love, elephant

PotM!

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 04:04:21 PM »

If you just go for a quick few-day-stay it really has no value.  Try to arrange to actually spend a few months. 

Lose my virginity

Overrated.

Meet a Patriarch

Patriarchs are very holy.  Speaking of Patriarchs and holiness Pussy Riot got another six months in jail.  It's too bad the the MP doesn't have a watch so that he'd be able to count down the time.   

Read the entire Bible at least once

Much of it is surprising mundane and disappointing.  The liturgical services "edit" gives you everything of value, i.e Gospels, Epistles, Psalms and selected Prophecies. 

[/quote]
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 11:06:27 PM »

Become a father. Convert to Orthodoxy.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 11:07:08 PM »

Do it the other way around!  That way junior will be Orthodox from the get go!  Cheesy

—St. Isaac of Syria
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 11:14:19 PM »

See someone with a mullet driving an El Camino.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 11:25:20 PM »

A few months on Mt Athos eh?

Might have to find a way to make that happen.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2012, 08:38:21 AM »

- Try to live somewhat eco-friendly

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: