Author Topic: Early Church Fathers  (Read 178564 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Early Church Fathers
« Reply #630 on: March 17, 2019, 06:30:53 PM »
You called yourself a sinner, but in your deeds you did not consider yourself as such. For one who considers oneself a sinner and the cause of evil is neither contentious nor angry against anyone else, but considers everyone to be better and wiser than oneself...

If anyone loves the person who rebukes him, that person is wise. But if anyone says that he loves, yet does not do what he hears from that person, then this is actually hatred.

-- St. Barsanuphius the Great, Letters From the Desert 17

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• To yield and give way to our passions is the lowest slavery
  • OC.net guru
  • even as to rule over them is the only liberty
  • Faith: Catholic, Carmelite
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Raleigh
Re: Early Church Fathers
« Reply #631 on: April 06, 2019, 01:40:04 AM »
Do you not see how He punished Adam for one single sin?

"Yes," you will say; "but He had given him Paradise and caused him to enjoy much favor." Nay, surely it is not all as one, for a man to sin in the enjoyment of security and ease, and in a state of great affliction. In fact, this is the dreadful circumstance that your sins are the sins of one not in any Paradise but amid the innumerable evils of this life; that you are not sobered even by affliction, as though one in prison should still practise his crime. However, unto you He has promised things yet greater than Paradise. But neither has He given them now, least He should unnerve you in the season of conflicts; nor has He been silent about them, lest He should quite cast you down with your labors. As for Adam, he committed but one sin and brought on himself certain death; whereas we commit ten thousand transgressions daily. Now if he by that one act brought on himself so great an evil and introduced death; what shall not we suffer who continually live in sins, and instead of Paradise, have the expectation of heaven?

The argument is irksome and pains the hearer: were it only by my own feelings, I know this. For indeed my heart is troubled and throbs; and the more I see the account of hell confirmed, the more do I tremble and shrink through fear. But it is necessary to say these things lest we fall into hell. What you received was not paradise, nor trees and plants, but heaven and the good things in the heavens. Now if he that had received less was condemned, and no consideration exempted him, much more shall we who have sinned more abundantly, and have been called unto greater things, endure the woes without remedy.

St.  John Chrysostom, Homily IX on 1 Corinthians
Wishing to grant pardon for ancient debts, he who cancels the debts of all people came himself and dwelt among those who were estranged from his divine grace; and tearing apart the record of sin, he hears from everyone: Alleluia.