OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 09:24:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For my Grandfather  (Read 308 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: July 18, 2012, 05:00:05 PM »

As some of you may recall, a few weeks ago I made a topic asking for prayers for my father's half sister who was in the hospital. Well, unfortunately, she passed away a couple days ago and her funeral is tomorrow (7/19) and I feel pretty bad for my grandfather since this is the second child he lost. He has been really down about it lately. I went over to visit him (he lives close-by) and he was just sitting inside of a large tent all alone in his backyard, very quiet and depressed. My grandmother says he has been like that for like two days now and only comes in to use the bathroom and go to bed, barely talking to anyone. He is an ex-alcoholic and I'm kind of worried that he will start drinking again. In fact, the reason he first became an alcoholic was because of the death of his first child years ago. Old habits tend to try and come out during difficult situations.

We've been giving him food, and even a carton of his favorite cigarettes since he loves tobacco and smokes like two packs a day. But, nothing really seems to be helping him. I've thought of maybe inviting him to liturgy sometime, since many people find comfort in religion during tough times, but I'm not so sure what he will say and I do not want to make him feel pressured to come with me just to be polite when he really does not want to. He was raised a Mormon, but for the most part has been pretty irreligious for most of his life, not necessarily rejecting God or religion, but just not caring about any of it or giving it any mind.

Also, maybe a prayer for my father too if you have time. He has been taking this pretty well and has not been too down about it, since he barely knew his half-sister, but deep down I can tell he is a little but upset about it. On a more positive note, I think that this has been a good wake-up call for him and fighting his addictions since him and his half-sister shared similar addictions and those addictions were partially responsible for her death.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 07:18:57 PM »

Lord have mercy on the spirit of James aunt, and and his grandfather, and on his father, and on his whole family, and on James himself.

Lord have mercy, Lord have mercy, Lord have mercy.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
marigold
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 08:03:28 PM »

May JamesR's aunt's memory be eternal.
Lord, have mercy on JamesR and all his family.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 08:57:10 PM »

Memory Eternal!

May the Lord show mercy to you and your family, ease their mourning, grant them peace and strength to endure.

Now would be a great time to introduce them to God....and the notion of everlasting life.

Why don't you just tell your grandfather that you are going to church to pray for your aunt, and invite him to join you.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 01:50:48 PM »

Lord have mercy on you and your fam.

Memory eternal to your aunt.

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 10:38:47 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Memory Eternal!

Dear James, please consider what Lisa have said. Let your light shine for those in need of it. May God grant you the grace you need. amen.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 12:01:06 AM »

Lord have mercy!

Memory eternal!

elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 08:36:27 AM »

Lord have mercy, Lord have mercy, Lord have mercy.
Most Holy Theotokos save us.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: