OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 06:35:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which English version of the Septuagint do you use most?  (Read 1559 times) Average Rating: 0
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: July 17, 2012, 09:13:43 PM »

The versions I am aware of would be:

Brenton, OSB, NETS, Complete Apostle's Bible, Apostolic Bible Polyglot, Asser, Papoutsis, and Charle's Thomson's.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 09:48:30 PM »

I only have the OSB but I'd really like to look at the NETS.  Which version do you use the most?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:50:01 PM »

OSB

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Subdeacon Michael

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 10:10:10 PM »

I'd really like to look at the NETS.

Your wish is my command.

I have this on order thanks to somebody's pointing out to me what it actually is on another thread recently.  I look forward to its arrival, as a long-term lover of the NRSV, on which it draws heavily in many places.

Most often, I use the OSB because that is what I have, and that's fine for what it is. However, I would welcome the NETS, and indeed any worthy LXX translation into English that gives us Orthodox Christians a bible that is legitimate in our own tradition, without having to rely on Masoretic bibles produced for other people.

M

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
DavidH
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 10:11:47 PM »

I switch around a bit but mainly use Asser's because I prefer the older English. Of the modern English translations I like the Complete Apostle's Bible set up I have.

I keep trying to get into the OSB because I like many of the notes but as an accurate translation of the Septuagint has been a let down for me.
DavidH
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 10:17:28 PM »

I also like the NETS and sometimes use it in tandem with the RSV-CE2 for the NT.

My only complaints on the NETS is that it is theologically neutral (as in translating the "Spirit of God" over the waters in Genesis as the "divine wind" (as if Creation was the result of celestial flatulence- Big Bang theory anyone) and the overly zealous gender-neutral approach. It's not as bad as it is in the NRSV but it is still there more often than is warranted.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 07:35:39 AM »

SAAS, as published in the OSB. I took a look at NETS recently, but was immediately put off by "Happy is the man" rather that "Blessed..." I don't know Greek, let alone Hebrew, well enough to know which English word more accurately conveys the thought here. That aside, I will likely refer to NETS, Asser, and other online versions for comparison purposes simply because they are convenient.
Subdeacon Michael

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 07:54:38 AM »

SAAS, as published in the OSB. I took a look at NETS recently, but was immediately put off by "Happy is the man" rather that "Blessed..." I don't know Greek, let alone Hebrew, well enough to know which English word more accurately conveys the thought here.

Neither do I. However, in my reading of western liturgics, I have come across claims that the line in the Roman Mass "Blessed are they who are called to his supper" is better rendered as "Happy are they..." to convey the biblical sense of what is being said. I do not know what merit that has. Certainly "blessed" has become well established in both instances.

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 07:58:57 AM »

OSB
ipm

Faith: Serbian Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 10:00:25 PM »

I like the OSB as well. For me the language is important and I find OSB the most accessible.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 08:42:23 AM »

I also like the NETS and sometimes use it in tandem with the RSV-CE2 for the NT.

My only complaints on the NETS is that it is theologically neutral (as in translating the "Spirit of God" over the waters in Genesis as the "divine wind" (as if Creation was the result of celestial flatulence- Big Bang theory anyone) and the overly zealous gender-neutral approach. It's not as bad as it is in the NRSV but it is still there more often than is warranted.

Curiously, "divine wind" is an acceptable translation, as is "divine breath". Greek is so much fun.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Xenia
Harmless Little Fuzzball

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 04:28:17 PM »

The OSB.  I don't know if it's the best or not but it's the one I have.   Last year I read the whole OSB through from Gen to Rev including the books I had never read as a Protestant.  I found the Book of Tobit to be delightful!  And I discovered that there is a greater difference between the LXX and the Masoretic OT than I realized.
DavidH
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 07:58:53 PM »

Curiously, "divine wind" is an acceptable translation, as is "divine breath". Greek is so much fun.

Agreed: I know it is technically a possible translation but it ignores the traditional renderings which I think are important in any Christian translation of Scripture.
DavidH
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 07:59:31 PM »

Agreed: I know it is technically a possible translation but it ignores the traditional renderings/ understandings which I think are important in any Christian translation of Scripture.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 08:50:47 PM »

Agreed: I know it is technically a possible translation but it ignores the traditional renderings which I think are important in any Christian translation of Scripture.

Except that HERE the NETS version IS more faithful to the original.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
DavidH
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »

How so? If it the word in question can be translated as either "spirit" or "wind" then why not translate it in accordance with the Tradition instead of choosing "wind" just to be more academic and theologically neutral?

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 09:48:13 PM »

How so? If it the word in question can be translated as either "spirit" or "wind" then why not translate it in accordance with the Tradition instead of choosing "wind" just to be more academic and theologically neutral?

What "tradition"?  Translations are just that, approximations mostly when one is dealing with two very distantly, if at all, related languages.

DavidH
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 10:55:29 PM »

Why be deliberately obtuse? What do you mean "what tradition"? Has one Father (native Greek speaker or otherwise) in two thousand years preferred "divine wind" over "Spirit"  in his commentary on Genesis?

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:57:07 PM by DavidH » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 11:01:51 PM »

Why be deliberately obtuse? What do you mean "what tradition"? Has one Father (native Greek speaker or otherwise) in two thousand years preferred "divine wind" over "Spirit"  in his commentary on Genesis?

Chuckle...you really want to argue tonight? At least you did not ask for a Japanese translation: kamikazi  Cheesy

We native Greek speakers don't translate, we just read it.

DavidH
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 11:06:08 PM »

Chuckle...you really want to argue tonight? At least you did not ask for a Japanese translation: kamikazi  Cheesy

We native Greek speakers don't translate, we just read it.

My bad: I assumed that even native Greek Orthodox speakers read the Scriptures in harmony with the Fathers to avoid ambiguity when multiple translations were possible.

I have studied both Koine and Japanese BTW.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 08:50:19 AM »

The "Fathers" did not read translations.

DavidH
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 07:35:09 PM »

The Greek Fathers did not read translations but they still made choices when reading the original text as to which nuances of meaning were the proper reading to understand (in the case of "wind" vs. "spirit" we know which they habitually chose based on their commentaries)

The non-Greek Fathers both used and made translations (e.g. Blessed Jerome).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:47:42 PM by DavidH » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 07:43:13 PM »

The Greek Fathers did not read translations but they still made choices when reading the original text as to which nuances of meaning were the proper reading to understand.
True. And they did not experience this artificial ambiguity.
The non-Greek Fathers both used and made translations.
Sounds (or reads) logical, but is that true? Which ones, specifically?

DavidH
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 08:00:58 PM »

The Greek Fathers did not read translations but they still made choices when reading the original text as to which nuances of meaning were the proper reading to understand.
True. And they did not experience this artificial ambiguity.
The non-Greek Fathers both used and made translations.
Sounds (or reads) logical, but is that true? Which ones, specifically?

Precisely my point on the ambiguity- the NETS translators have added ambiguity in this verse where the Fathers had no ambiguity.

The short answer as to which Fathers used translations is: all the ones who could not read Greek. Which were more and more of them as time went on. Any article on early Bible translations will show that there were many translations in use in the early centuries. Blessed Augustine for example used the Old Italic version in Latin because he could not read Greek.

Blessed Jerome replaced this Old Italic version with his translation of the Vulgate which became THE version for the West for a millenium afterwards. Pope St. Gregory and all the Fathers of the West after Jerome based their commentaries on this one.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »

This is getting tedious. St. Augustine is the only one I really am familiar with (and the only one you specifically note).

And I have no opinion on the NETS version actually; only one about Greek.

Update: I will amend my post - the DO prefer 'Spirit of God' even if other renderings are acceptable.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:27:57 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

DavidH
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 03:04:46 PM »

This is getting tedious. St. Augustine is the only one I really am familiar with (and the only one you specifically note).

And I have no opinion on the NETS version actually; only one about Greek.

Update: I will amend my post - the DO prefer 'Spirit of God' even if other renderings are acceptable.

You asked a question requiring a factual answer which I gave.

I specifically named Bl. Augustine and St. Gregory Dialogos and mentioned all the pre-Jerome Western Fathers (using various versions) and post-Jerome Western Fathers (usually using the Vulgate) as well as the fact of translations from the earliest times (both in the West and the East (e.g. Syriac Fathers) to demonstrate that it was only the Greek Fathers who did not use translations.

You expressed an opinion on the NETS when you said its translation of "wind" over "spirit" was accurate, so you do have an opinion on it even though, thankfully, you prefer the traditional rendering.

It was the question that was tedious, not the answer.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:05:32 PM by DavidH » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 03:11:27 PM »

Chuckle...You're right there, DavidH.  Smiley

(Edit to insert comma)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:14:03 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 04:25:23 PM »

Btw, spiritus in Latin can mean breath and spirit, just like pneuma in Greek.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:29:18 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
DavidH
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 04:45:08 PM »

Btw, spiritus in Latin can still mean breath as well as spirit.

Yes, and in English "trunk" can mean any of these things http://www.thefreedictionary.com/trunk

I am only pointing out that rendering a word within a Bible verse in English in a way it was never understood by anyone in either the Jewish or Christian Traditions needlessly obscures the historical understanding of the verse for non-Greek readers.

I suppose that, faced with the two choices of "wind" or "spirit", the NETS translators picked the former solely because as academics they thought it was theologically neutral. Which is a silly thing to expect from a theological book which was written to be understood from within a particular theological tradition (whether Jewish or Christian).
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2012, 04:48:47 PM »

Btw, spiritus in Latin can still mean breath as well as spirit.

Yes, and in English "trunk" can mean any of these things http://www.thefreedictionary.com/trunk

I am only pointing out that rendering a word within a Bible verse in English in a way it was never understood by anyone in either the Jewish or Christian Traditions needlessly obscures the historical understanding of the verse for non-Greek readers.

I suppose that, faced with the two choices of "wind" or "spirit", the NETS translators picked the former solely because as academics they thought it was theologically neutral. Which is a silly thing to expect from a theological book which was written to be understood from within a particular theological tradition (whether Jewish or Christian).

I agree with you. The "wind" rendering of pneuma was the reason I didn't buy the NETS.

Besides, the Latin Fathers used the breath meaning quite often when talking about the Holy Spirit. They didn't deny that the Spirit was it's own hypostasis of course.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:50:46 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Randa

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Non Sectarian

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2012, 12:06:11 PM »

The versions I am aware of would be:

Brenton, OSB, NETS, Complete Apostle's Bible, Apostolic Bible Polyglot, Asser, Papoutsis, and Charle's Thomson's.

Joel Kalvesmaki lists almost every translation here: http://www.kalvesmaki.com/LXX/Texts.htm

The only one he missed, that I know of, is this brand new one: http://ebible.org/eng-lxx2012/

There's also the EOB (Eastern Orthodox Bible) but it hasn't been completed yet.

My favourite is NETS cause, even though I don't like all of it's readings (such as "divine wind" Genesis 1:2), it's one of the few that is an actual new translation not just a revision of Brenton's translation. Also a lot of these Brenton revisions don't include the Deuterocanon, the original Brenton edition didn't include it either.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:10:37 PM by Randa » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: