OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 09:30:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icons of the Blessed Virgin  (Read 1022 times) Average Rating: 0
AZCatholic

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Phoenix

« on: July 17, 2012, 07:24:48 PM »

I notice that many Ethiopian Orthodox have a version of the icon I posted below . I found two versions of this icon that can be printed and framed.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 08:08:54 PM »

Beautiful! you are very generous AZCatholic thank you! this type of Icon is referred to as ' mis'ele fiqur walda'/ with her beloved Son./ May the blessing of her unfailing motherly intercession, and the mercy of her Beloved Son be with all of us.Amen.

With love in Christ,
Hiwot.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
AZCatholic

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 08:39:08 PM »

Thanks for the information Hiwot! In the Catholic Church she is know as Our Lady of Perpetual Help. I have a version of this icon in my icon corner but is in a more "Byzantine" style. It seems that many Ethiopian Orthodox use this image of The Virgin. Look at the picture I posted below , the Church has an icon of The Virgin but she is standing up. Do you know where I can find a version like this?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:46:19 PM by AZCatholic » Logged
AZCatholic

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 08:46:58 PM »

Thanks for the information Hiwot! In the Catholic Church she is know as Our Lady of Perpetual Help. I have a version of this icon in my icon corner but it is in a more "Byzantine" style. It seems that many Ethiopian Orthodox use this image of The Virgin. Look at the picture I posted below , the Church has an icon of The Virgin but she is standing up. Do you know where I can find a version like this?

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 09:17:18 PM »

Thanks for the information Hiwot! In the Catholic Church she is know as Our Lady of Perpetual Help. I have a version of this icon in my icon corner but is in a more "Byzantine" style. It seems that many Ethiopian Orthodox use this image of The Virgin. Look at the picture I posted below , the Church has an icon of The Virgin but she is standing up. Do you know where I can find a version like this?

this Icon is imported mostly from Egypt, and middle east, and can be found in the religious article selling shops in Ethiopia,  because of the similarity to the Ethiopian Iconographic style it is easily adopted by Ethiopians more than other Icons on the market. its easy availability due to its being a print rather than a hand made icon like the Ethiopian ones have to be makes it cheaper to get so those icons are the ones which  lots of people bring as gifts to Church.

The printed ones are usually the European ones. ironically when people want to buy Ethiopian Icons they want the hand made ones so you see the hand made ones being Ethiopian and the print European pretty much everywhere you go.hand made does not necessarily translate into excellent iconography either, people who have no talent as icnographers take the task of painting an icon and brining it to Churches as gifts and the Church if there is space to display them will display them.  laugh 

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
AZCatholic

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 09:42:53 PM »

this Icon is imported mostly from Egypt, and middle east, and can be found in the religious article selling shops in Ethiopia,  because of the similarity to the Ethiopian Iconographic style it is easily adopted by Ethiopians more than other Icons on the market. its easy availability due to its being a print rather than a hand made icon like the Ethiopian ones have to be makes it cheaper to get so those icons are the ones which  lots of people bring as gifts to Church.

The printed ones are usually the European ones. ironically when people want to buy Ethiopian Icons they want the hand made ones so you see the hand made ones being Ethiopian and the print European pretty much everywhere you go.hand made does not necessarily translate into excellent iconography either, people who have no talent as icnographers take the task of painting an icon and brining it to Churches as gifts and the Church if there is space to display them will display them.  laugh 
I know what you mean. There is a local iconographer around here who has painted several icons for local churches but her style is not to my style.  Grin
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 10:50:53 PM »

I know what you mean. There is a local iconographer around here who has painted several icons for local churches but her style is not to my style.  Grin
laugh laugh

AZCatholic

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 12:51:58 AM »

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2011/12/st-mary-icon-weeping-holy-oil-at-st-mary-coptic-orthodox-church-ain-shams-cairo-egypt/
This miraculous icon is similar to the ones I posted above.
Tags: OO icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: