OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 11:48:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slow Computer  (Read 1143 times) Average Rating: 0
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« on: November 22, 2004, 08:42:42 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Okay, here's the story:

I have a nice little laptop with Windows XP and a dial-up ISP.  It used to be nice and fast, but now all of a sudden, it moves like molasses in January.  How slow?  So slow that I can't even see these words as I type them.  I just keep typing, and then they all appear in one big bunch a couple of seconds later.  And its not just on the internet, its even with other basic functions.

I thought that maybe it was because I installed a large Encarta Encyclopedia on here the other day (600+ KB) but that wasn't it.  I unistalled the encycolpedia, and still no dice.  I tried deleting a whole bunch of old term papers and other files, as well as unistalling all of my card and board games, etc (including Risk  :'().  I went to the control panel and defragmented my files, as well as "cleaned up" the hard drive by compressing and deleting tons of old files.  I scanned for viruses w/ PC-Cillin and it said there were none.  What else can I do?

I am about to throw this thing at a wall.  Angry

Thanks!

P.S. - It seems like that little orange light down at the bottom is always on or at least flashing.  I don't know what the heck that is.  The icon next above it looks like a nondesript little cylinder.

"According to the Orthodox Faith, the teachings and traditions one upholds and believes in will necessarily influence and inform one's spiritual orientation and the way one worships..." - Harry Boosalis
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 03:42:07 AM »

The nondescript cylinder represents your hard drive.

Your hard disk may be failing. Major slowdowns are one of the symptoms of a hard disk about to die. Make sure you have your important stuff backed up and find out if it is under warranty.

The other possibility is a virus
Download the Sysclean Package from here and then the latest virus definition pack from here (it is a zip file, extract the definition file into the same directory as you saved sysclean.com) then run sysclean.com to do a thorough check for viruses.

John.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 03:45:55 AM by prodromos » Logged
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 09:39:34 AM »

Thanks John!  I'll try it tonight when I get home from work and let you know how it goes.  (I really hope the hard drive isn't going.  I just finished paying the thing off!)

"According to the Orthodox Faith, the teachings and traditions one upholds and believes in will necessarily influence and inform one's spiritual orientation and the way one worships..." - Harry Boosalis
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: