OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 08:44:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our Lady of Guadalupe appears on a tree?  (Read 2133 times) Average Rating: 0
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: July 17, 2012, 08:31:48 AM »

July 13, 2012

WEST NEW YORK, N.J. -- Hundreds of Catholic faithful and curious onlookers descended on a West New York street Thursday, eager to visit a tree that many are convinced bears an image of Our Lady of Guadalupe, the Virgin Mary as worshipped in Mexico....

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/13/12723230-virgin-mary-image-on-tree-in-new-jersey-crowds-say-yes?lite

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 08:57:35 AM »

Wow!  Folks are desperate to see a "sign".

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 11:27:26 AM »

My wife once saw a cloud that looked like Bill Clinton.

I keep that in mind when I see stories such as this.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 12:27:56 PM »

This is pathetic, I guess you can imagine anything if you look hard enough. I am very familiar with the story of "Our Lady of Guadalupe" and this only lessens and belittles this belief..........Come on folks call it what it is:  The scar from a tree limb cutting.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:30:47 PM by JoeS2 » Logged
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 01:21:15 PM »

It looks more like a place to insert a miniature coffin than anything.

Thank you.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 01:26:23 PM »

Wow!  Folks are desperate to see a "sign".

True, but can you blame them?

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 02:13:39 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Y'all cynics stop hating on Our Lady, She can appear where and how and to whomever She likes Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 03:01:33 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Y'all cynics stop hating on Our Lady, She can appear where and how and to whomever She likes Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Oh, come one, are you serious?  We hate Our Lady, Im sure you are not serious.  Of course she can appear where and how whenever she likes, but this example is the same example as seeing her image in a grilled cheese sandwich, remember that episode??

But really, I have to give The Blessed Mother more credit than this especially since most of her apparitions occur to individuals of great faith and the Fatima appearance was to ONLY 3 children,  the multitudes DID NOT SEE HER only the manifestation of her appearance of the sun as reported in Portugal.

Or for another, on a country road fence post, or a foggy image on a building window, all of which were proven fakes.

This will have some substance if some miracles occur as the result of this happenstance of tree triming along a urban street.  
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 03:05:41 PM by JoeS2 » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 04:04:32 PM »

God works in mysterious ways... and so do people.  Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 04:23:06 PM »

I love the Blessed Virgin, and I love OL of Gaudalupe, but...c'mon...

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Babalon
Resident Occultist

Faith: Gnosis
Jurisdiction: A.'.A.'.

I am everywhere the centre.

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 04:53:20 PM »

I once met a man who said he was Your Lady.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 04:55:02 PM »

So stupid....so should I sell my kleenex if I sneeze and the Virgin shows up in my kleenex?

This is so retarded.....

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 05:49:10 PM »

I have a beautiful Icon of Our Lady of Gaudalupe written on a clay tile and was blessed by my OCA Priest. 

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 06:34:44 PM »

My grandmother came to this country from Mexico, and when I was growing up there my hometown was about evenly split between Latinos and Anglos, so I definitely grew up with this stuff about "la virgen", but I agree with the other poster...COM'ON. It's a freaking tree, people. The virgin is not appearing in a tree, or on a tortilla, or on an oil stain under a freeway overpass, or any of the many, many other places people have claimed to have seen here over the years. Quit making belief in St. Mary seem like something for crazy people. Heck, quit BEING crazy people. There is proper devotion to the Theotokos, but this is absolutely something else.

JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 06:38:47 PM »

I have a beautiful Icon of Our Lady of Gaudalupe written on a clay tile and was blessed by my OCA Priest. 

I am married to a beautiful women who is from Mexico. I am fortunate to have her and I thank God everyday for her.  The Food is FANTASTIC!
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 09:31:43 PM »

"Perceptions of religious imagery in natural phenomena, sometimes called simulacra, are sightings of images.."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perceptions_of_religious_imagery_in_natural_phenomena#Pareidolia

Proverbs 22:7
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 09:43:16 PM »

We had this one at our local beach:

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Bigsinner
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA  (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 12:15:53 AM »

Reminds me of the old Peanuts comic strip where Lucy, Linus, and Charlie Brown are trying to recognize shapes in clouds (sorry i only have the dialogue and not the actual strip):

Lucy Van Pelt: Aren’t the clouds beautiful? They look like big balls of cotton. I could just lie here all day and watch them drift by. If you use your imagination, you can see lots of things in the cloud’s formations. What do you think you see, Linus?
Linus Van Pelt: Well, those clouds up there look to me look like the map of the British Honduras on the Caribbean. That cloud up there looks a little like the profile of Thomas Eakins, the famous painter and sculptor. And that group of clouds over theregives me the impression of the Stoning of Stephen. I can see the Apostle Paul standing there to one side.
Lucy Van Pelt: Uh huh. That’s very good. What do you see in the clouds, Charlie Brown?
Charlie Brown: Well… I was going to say I saw a duckie and a horsie, but I changed my mind.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 12:39:55 AM »

I must have seen Our Lady of Guadalupe 100 times as a kid walking around in the neighborhood woods (mostly around neighbor's yards). 

Before we hop on this too hard an hack it to bits, though, if just one of these people turns to the Lord, is it not possible that they see an icon of the Mother of God there?  The guy who cut the tree limb was not trying to be an iconographer, but if the most humble and unintentional icon brings one to faith--have we no mercy?  May the Lord move them to His Faith. 

Hack me to bits instead of hacking these people to bits.  Whether it is OLO Guadalupe or not, I have no doubt that the Theotokos has not chosen this tree as the only place where she will not give intercession to those inclined to the Lord. 

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 01:20:55 AM »

Wait isn't OL of G a RC icon?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 02:13:15 AM »

Wait isn't OL of G a RC icon?

Yes, it is. The image is not part of Orthodox tradition, neither should it be. There are a couple of threads on the subject here.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 09:20:28 AM »

the Virgin Mary as worshipped in Mexico....
*Cringe*

Now, I obviously know RC's do not worship the Theotokos, but I wish the writer of the article used more appropriate terminology.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:21:23 AM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 10:45:31 AM »

the Virgin Mary as worshipped in Mexico....
*Cringe*

Now, I obviously know RC's do not worship the Theotokos, but I wish the writer of the article used more appropriate terminology.

Some folks dont know the difference between Adoration and Veneration.......
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 05:07:12 PM »

Of course if this were a myrrh streaming Ikon that had been written by an Orthodox person, nearly everyone would be pretty quick to accept it and proclaim it as proof of God's existence. 
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »

Of course if this were a myrrh streaming Ikon that had been written by an Orthodox person, nearly everyone would be pretty quick to accept it and proclaim it as proof of God's existence. 

Probably not if it was this obviously fake, but that wouldn't fit your caricature.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 05:51:51 PM »

I drove by this the other day on the way to something else:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/16/bleeding-virgin-mary-statue_n_1677729.html

No word yet on whether or not it was actual blood.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 06:18:50 PM »

The Icon of Our Lady of Guadalupe is in the OCA Cathedral in Mexico City.....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:19:13 PM by JoeS2 » Logged
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 06:39:37 PM »

Well, when she is not busy with the tree, she can do a little shopping. Tongue
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 04:57:26 AM »

Which it is not. Red herring.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 05:09:16 AM »

The Icon of Our Lady of Guadalupe is in the OCA Cathedral in Mexico City.....

A major mistake, like the painting of an icon of the 13th century Roman Catholic saint Anthony of Padua in the Holy Trinity Church in Oxnard, CA.

It's on the righthand column, the lowest of the three icons. It clearly shows the saint as he is depicted in RC religious art, with distinctive monastic tonsure, brown habit, and bearing the Christ-child.

Neither this image, nor OL of Guadalupe, are part of Orthodox tradition, and the images should have no place in any Orthodox church.

Moral of the story: It might look like an icon, but icon it ain't.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 05:10:25 AM by LBK » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 05:18:31 AM »

Beautiful Church though ^^

Surely someone has made a mention of such an error?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2012, 07:25:04 AM »

All I am saying is that we should subject ourselves to the same level of scrutiny as we do others.  That isn't a red herring. 
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2012, 07:29:07 AM »

NVM!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:50:58 AM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2012, 07:48:41 AM »

All I am saying is that we should subject ourselves to the same level of scrutiny as we do others.  That isn't a red herring. 

If more diligent scrutiny was paid to what is painted, there wouldn't be a problem with spiritual and theological confusion when folks see images in their churches which fall short of properly proclaiming and expressing what Orthodoxy teaches and espouses.

The presence of non-Orthodox images in churches and their bookstores is just as objectionable and wrong as inserting non-Orthodox hymns into the Divine Liturgy.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2012, 08:01:10 AM »

An icon is an image. Period.
Do a Google image search of the Greek word for icon ( εικονα ) and see for yourself. Now search the Greek term for "Buddhist icon" ( βουδιστή εικονα ) and see what comes up.
A photograph is an icon. The Mona Lisa is an icon. The Reclining Buddha is an icon. Shiva Nataraja is an icon.
It's just that none of these are Orthodox Christian Icons.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2012, 08:11:37 AM »

An icon is an image. Period.
Do a Google image search of the Greek word for icon ( εικονα ) and see for yourself. Now search the Greek term for "Buddhist icon" ( βουδιστή εικονα ) and see what comes up.
A photograph is an icon. The Mona Lisa is an icon. The Reclining Buddha is an icon. Shiva Nataraja is an icon.
It's just that none of these are Orthodox Christian Icons.

Another irrelevance, ozgeorge. We are talking about religious imagery (Guadalupe, etc) which is mistaken for proper Orthodox iconography because of its presence from time to time in Orthodox churches.

A Greek-speaker easily grasps the context of the word eikona from its use. Using the word aghia to precede eikona removes all doubt as to what sort of image is being referred to.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2012, 08:18:59 AM »

Surely someone has made a mention of such an error?
Many times.
This is Holy Trinity Church in Oxnard CA.
It was under ROCOR, but in the various schisms which effected ROCOR in recent decades, it split away and is currently, I believe, under the Synod in Resistance.
The offending icon was a mistake by the neophyte convert iconographer who thought his patron saint was Anthony of Padua rather than Anthony the Great.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2012, 08:25:06 AM »

Using the word aghia to precede eikona removes all doubt as to what sort of image is being referred to.
Really? I'm a Greek-speaker who attends a purely Greek-speaking church, and we never call it an "aghia eikona", we just call it an "eikona", which is what we also call the images on the evening news on TV.
But I guess you should know.

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2012, 08:32:24 AM »

The offending icon was a mistake by the neophyte convert iconographer who thought his patron saint was Anthony of Padua rather than Anthony the Great.

I find it very, very difficult to believe that someone as green as this was given a commission to paint a church, or even part of it. Really? To whom was he praying to as he was painting the "icon"? What podlinnik did he use as a reference as to how to paint St Anthony? Was he working alone, or with others? If the latter, why didn't they pull him up on the error?

Nope, don't buy that story.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2012, 08:33:17 AM »

Using the word aghia to precede eikona removes all doubt as to what sort of image is being referred to.
Really? I'm a Greek-speaker who attends a purely Greek-speaking church, and we never call it an "aghia eikona", we just call it an "eikona", which is what we also call the images on the evening news on TV.

Again, you are missing what I have written. Go back and read my post again on context.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2012, 08:37:30 AM »

Go back and read my post again on context.
You didn't write a post on context. You wrote one on your opinions of what is an isn't an icon.

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2012, 08:39:52 AM »

Go back and read my post again on context.
You didn't write a post on context. You wrote one on your opinions of what is an isn't an icon.

Ahem. Post #35:

A Greek-speaker easily grasps the context of the word eikona from its use. Using the word aghia to precede eikona removes all doubt as to what sort of image is being referred to.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:40:15 AM by LBK » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2012, 08:43:44 AM »

To which I replied:
Meaning: "Nobody actually does this LBK, so what's your point?"

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2012, 08:49:12 AM »

To which I replied:
Meaning: "Nobody ozgeorge knows actually does this LBK, so what's your point?"

Fixed it for you.

I've heard many, many Greek speakers, both here, and in Greece, and in written materials, refer to icons as aghies eikones about as often as just eikones. Russians are the same, they preface ikona or obraz with svyataya quite frequently.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:49:29 AM by LBK » Logged
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2012, 10:23:34 AM »

Before we hop on this too hard an hack it to bits, though, if just one of these people turns to the Lord, is it not possible that they see an icon of the Mother of God there?  The guy who cut the tree limb was not trying to be an iconographer, but if the most humble and unintentional icon brings one to faith--have we no mercy?  May the Lord move them to His Faith. 

Hack me to bits instead of hacking these people to bits.  Whether it is OLO Guadalupe or not, I have no doubt that the Theotokos has not chosen this tree as the only place where she will not give intercession to those inclined to the Lord. 

I agree, Father.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: