OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 06:22:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Abortion actually murder?  (Read 22478 times) Average Rating: 0
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #675 on: March 28, 2013, 09:22:52 AM »

I was speaking with a fellow yesterday who told me he had a child aborted behind his back and he was never able to forgive her.  It destroyed their relationship.  She knew he wanted the child and she killed it anyway.

Lord have mercy!  How incredibly sad and awful.  May God grant that one day he will be able to forgive her.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #676 on: March 28, 2013, 09:33:02 AM »

I was speaking with a fellow yesterday who told me he had a child aborted behind his back and he was never able to forgive her.  It destroyed their relationship.  She knew he wanted the child and she killed it anyway.

Sounds like this is their own Private Business that you shouldn't meddle in or repeat in public.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #677 on: March 28, 2013, 09:37:42 AM »

Sounds like this is their own Private Business that you shouldn't meddle in or repeat in public.

Meddle??

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #678 on: March 28, 2013, 12:56:22 PM »

This post makes no sense.  He shared it with me and I provided no detailing information.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #679 on: March 28, 2013, 12:57:34 PM »

Lord have mercy!  How incredibly sad and awful.  May God grant that one day he will be able to forgive her.
It apparently was some time ago but I could tell it was difficult for him to think about it.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #680 on: March 28, 2013, 01:06:10 PM »

This post makes no sense.  He shared it with me and I provided no detailing information.
+1

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #681 on: March 28, 2013, 01:42:12 PM »

An anonymous poster sharing a story about two people whom he doesn't name?
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #682 on: March 29, 2013, 12:19:56 AM »

+1
+2

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #683 on: March 29, 2013, 01:01:12 AM »

I'd sue her for the sperm  Cheesy seeing how silly American courts have become, I imagine I'd have a shot at winning.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #684 on: March 29, 2013, 04:10:17 AM »

Why you capitalize what you do is one of the greatest mysteries to more than a few of us.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #685 on: March 29, 2013, 04:12:18 AM »

You should hear the dozens (hundred?) of people I've heard tell me about how a child ruined their marriages or relationships and they could never forgive the other party for allowing the pregnancy to occur in the first place.

Do I win?

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #686 on: March 30, 2013, 12:23:57 PM »

Poor argumentation.. Crude to say the least. I guess once you run through all your arguments that is what you're left with...   

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #687 on: March 30, 2013, 02:30:34 PM »

Poor argumentation.. Crude to say the least. I guess once you run through all your arguments that is what you're left with...   
What are you talking about?
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #688 on: March 30, 2013, 03:28:15 PM »

Hey.. use weak argumentation all you want. If you cant tell the difference, even better.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #689 on: March 30, 2013, 08:42:51 PM »

Hey.. use weak argumentation all you want. If you cant tell the difference, even better.

Again, what are you talking about?
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #690 on: April 01, 2013, 10:31:25 AM »

I'd like to know that, too.

I'd also like to know how you posting something anonymously about anonymous people, i.e. reporting an anecdotal occurrence without mentioning names, dates, locations, etc. is "meddling", according to Marc.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #691 on: April 01, 2013, 10:48:56 AM »

I'd also like to know how you posting something anonymously about anonymous people, i.e. reporting an anecdotal occurrence without mentioning names, dates, locations, etc. is "meddling", according to Marc.

I thought  it was really skeezy...

It is also juvenile to cough up a vague story like that as some sort of evidence in a serious debate.. It's how a 15 year old debates.

Injecting your personal religious idea's into people's private lives is meddling.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #692 on: April 01, 2013, 11:28:51 AM »

It is also juvenile to cough up a vague story like that as some sort of evidence in a serious debate.. It's how a 15 year old debates.

Injecting your personal religious idea's into people's private lives is meddling.

First making laws about abortion is meddling.

Next, discouraging abortion on a personal level is injecting beliefs into private lives. So much for condemning sin, I guess.

What's next? Is preventing your daughter from aborting your grandchild over the line, too? Maybe a girl gets pregnant and thinks abortion is wrong, but she doesn't want to force her "personal beliefs" on her parents or on society at large by having a baby she can't afford. Wouldn't want that pesky belief about abortion to actually affect real life now.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #693 on: April 01, 2013, 01:30:08 PM »

Wow.  You are really reaching here.  And what's sad about it is that you're not even close.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #694 on: April 01, 2013, 02:08:50 PM »

First making laws about abortion is meddling.

Next, discouraging abortion on a personal level is injecting beliefs into private lives. So much for condemning sin, I guess.

What's next? Is preventing your daughter from aborting your grandchild over the line, too? Maybe a girl gets pregnant and thinks abortion is wrong, but she doesn't want to force her "personal beliefs" on her parents or on society at large by having a baby she can't afford. Wouldn't want that pesky belief about abortion to actually affect real life now.

I think the issue is more about imposing your religious idea's via State Power, on people who are not really asking for your help.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #695 on: April 01, 2013, 02:13:26 PM »

Wow.  You are really reaching here.  And what's sad about it is that you're not even close.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Actually, I have every right to think something is skeezy or not without amendment from the likes of you.

Imposing laws based on religious concepts that are highly debatable and forcing them upon people is pretty close to being meddlesome, to put it mildly.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #696 on: April 01, 2013, 02:29:45 PM »

I was speaking with a fellow yesterday who told me he had a child aborted behind his back and he was never able to forgive her.  It destroyed their relationship.  She knew he wanted the child and she killed it anyway.

I thought  it was really skeezy...

Wow.  You are really reaching here.  And what's sad about it is that you're not even close.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Actually, I have every right to think something is skeezy or not without amendment from the likes of you.

Imposing laws based on religious concepts that are highly debatable and forcing them upon people is pretty close to being meddlesome, to put it mildly.

LOL!!

Is the 6th Commandment a highly debatable religious concept?

Kerdy was in no way meddling or imposing his beliefs on anyone in the anecdote he reported.

Христос Воскрес!!

Enjoy your Great Lent. 

Kalo Pascha.   
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:41:14 PM by J Michael » Logged

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #697 on: April 01, 2013, 04:08:42 PM »

I was speaking with a fellow yesterday who told me he had a child aborted behind his back and he was never able to forgive her.  It destroyed their relationship.  She knew he wanted the child and she killed it anyway.

Wow.  You are really reaching here.  And what's sad about it is that you're not even close.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

LOL!!

Kerdy was in no way meddling or imposing his beliefs on anyone in the anecdote he reported.

Христос Воскрес!!

Enjoy your Great Lent.  

Kalo Pascha.  

Did you lose track of the conversation again Smiley

You have to accept several highly defined religious concepts in order to believe a early term abortion is the taking of a human life.

Forcing your religion on others is a nonstarter here in the USA.

Kerdy had no business repeating that vague story third, fourth or maybe fifth hand.. just to go for a cheap point. He sounded to me like a busy body.

If that impressed you or moved you in some way then I will leave you to it.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:09:28 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #698 on: April 01, 2013, 04:19:46 PM »

LOL!!

Христос Воскрес!!

Enjoy your Great Lent.  

Kalo Pascha.  

You have to accept several highly defined religious concepts in order to believe a early term abortion is the taking of a human life.

Kerdy had no business repeating that vague story third, fourth or maybe fifth hand.. just to go for a cheap point. He sounded to me like a busy body.

You're the one off track.

You're entitled to your opinion about Kerdy's remark.  I can't see that anyone else here has agreed with you about that, but never mind....

When did the 6th Commandment become debatable?

Kalo Pascha.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:20:40 PM by J Michael » Logged

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #699 on: April 01, 2013, 05:49:49 PM »

LOL!!

Христос Воскрес!!

Enjoy your Great Lent.  

Kalo Pascha.  

You're the one off track.

You're entitled to your opinion about Kerdy's remark.  I can't see that anyone else here has agreed with you about that, but never mind....

Kalo Pascha.

You really dont ever "never mind".. Rather you push and push and push.

It    was   an   uncalled for    unnecessary     busy body    thing to throw into the discussion IMHO

Youre on something like your 10th comment about it.

If you were moved to tears, then good for you.. I wasnt.. What more would you like to discuss about it?

News flash: there is no official religion in the Untied States. Thanks for sharing yours.

Furthermore, it is absolutely reasonable for a person to disagree with you about when life begins. No human life taken = No violation of the 6th commandment.

Therefore, you should tread lightly and not be so quick to point a judgmental finger at anyone if they have different idea's from you about when life begins.

You say a zygote is a full blown person with a 'soul'. A person isnt necessarily a Nazi genocidal killer, or a homicidal manic, or a mass murderer if they don't accept that..  

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:50:26 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #700 on: April 01, 2013, 06:59:25 PM »

Wow!!!

I can't really say much else without being rude.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #701 on: April 01, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »

Wow!!!

I can't really say much else without being rude.

..Self restraint is a virtue.

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #702 on: April 02, 2013, 09:36:27 AM »

Marc, would this modification of your statement also not hold true?

Forcing your ideas on people is meddling?

SCREW BON JOVI!
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #703 on: April 02, 2013, 10:30:08 AM »

In what context? If you brow beat someone who did not ask for your opinion, that is meddling.

If you offer your opinion when asked for or if it concerns your own personal business, then it isnt.

If you attempt to use the power of the State to impose a Moral dictum  based solely on religious tenets ("a zygote is a fully formed person with a soul") not accepted by large numbers of the population...That would be meddling
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:50:38 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #704 on: April 02, 2013, 11:30:43 AM »

Aren't all laws pretty much someone forcing their beliefs on someone else?  If everyone believed and acted the same way, what use would there be for any laws at all?  If we all believed that we should give 30% of our income to the government why would there be a need to tax?  If we all believed that killing someone is wrong then why would there be laws against murder?  If we all believed that non-consensual sex is wrong why would rape be illegal?

If someone believes that they have a right to do something and the rest do not we make laws to impose our will on that person.  It is only natural for Christians (and decent human beings of other religions) to be opposed to the murder of an unborn person.  Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.  So are we forcing our morality on others?  I hope we do someday.  That is the only way atrocities are ever thwarted. 
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #705 on: April 02, 2013, 11:33:07 AM »

In what context? If you brow beat someone who did not ask for your opinion, that is meddling.

If you offer your opinion when asked for or if it concerns your own personal business, then it isnt.

If you attempt to use the power of the State to impose a Moral dictum  based solely on religious tenets ("a zygote is a fully formed person with a soul") not accepted by large numbers of the population...That would be meddling
First part, I didn't meddle.  Glad we agree on that.

Second part, what you are saying should happen, by your definition, is meddling.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #706 on: April 02, 2013, 11:37:21 AM »

Aren't all laws pretty much someone forcing their beliefs on someone else?  If everyone believed and acted the same way, what use would there be for any laws at all?  If we all believed that we should give 30% of our income to the government why would there be a need to tax?  If we all believed that killing someone is wrong then why would there be laws against murder?  If we all believed that non-consensual sex is wrong why would rape be illegal?

If someone believes that they have a right to do something and the rest do not we make laws to impose our will on that person.  It is only natural for Christians (and decent human beings of other religions) to be opposed to the murder of an unborn person.  Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.  So are we forcing our morality on others?  I hope we do someday.  That is the only way atrocities are ever thwarted. 

True enough.. Laws influence/force behavior. However, we have a separation between Church and State and so if you want to command people to abide by a law that is solely based on impossible to prove religious idea's ( like the soul enters the body at conception) then you better have a large consensus of agreement on that point.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #707 on: April 02, 2013, 11:38:09 AM »

Second part, what you are saying should happen, by your definition, is meddling.

Huh ?

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #708 on: April 02, 2013, 12:13:04 PM »

Thanks for your assessment. I thought what you said was obnoxious and meddlesome. Are you the town busybody?

You have no business repeating someone else's private drama just to make a cheap point.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #709 on: April 02, 2013, 12:22:31 PM »

Thanks for your assessment. I thought what you said was obnoxious and meddlesome. Are you the town busybody?

You have no business repeating someone else's private drama just to make a cheap point.
You really should stop contradicting yourself. 
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #710 on: April 02, 2013, 01:38:45 PM »

But you wouldnt actually be able to point out a contradiction I'm betting

It was a silly, obnoxious , not to mention vague, little story to plop down in the middle of the conversation. Rubbed me the wrong way. There is nothing more to it than that. 

Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #711 on: April 02, 2013, 03:03:05 PM »

You say a zygote is a full blown person with a 'soul'. A person isnt necessarily a Nazi genocidal killer, or a homicidal manic, or a mass murderer if they don't accept that..  

This ranks as probably one of the most stupid statements on this thread.  So, per your belief, Nazis are not necessarily genocidal killers because they did not believe Jews to be fully human.  The KKK should continue decorating trees with black people because they do not belive black people to be fully human.  The idea of what constitues a human has been behing nearly every mass killing.  Abortion is no different.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #712 on: April 02, 2013, 03:20:18 PM »

This ranks as probably one of the most stupid statements on this thread.  So, per your belief, Nazis are not necessarily genocidal killers because they did not believe Jews to be fully human.  The KKK should continue decorating trees with black people because they do not belive black people to be fully human.  The idea of what constitues a human has been behing nearly every mass killing.  Abortion is no different.

By any measure Nazi idea's were not reasonable and tainted by hatred and predudice and easily refutable by credible Scientific methods.

On the other hand, it is perfectly reasonable for a person to not accept your religious idea's about what a soul is or when it enters the body.

The reason is, there is absolutely no evidence or is there anything observable about those contentions. They are totally and completely faith based. You accept them because your religion says so. You take those contentions on Faith and Faith alone.

Thanks for sharing your religious idea's. They don't really translate well into the secular World where people need to be persuaded of such things. If you try to enforce your religious idea's at the point of a gun, then people will resist and rightly so.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 03:21:15 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #713 on: April 02, 2013, 03:28:46 PM »

It was a silly, obnoxious , not to mention vague, little story to plop down in the middle of the conversation. Rubbed me the wrong way. There is nothing more to it than that. 
The funniest contradiction here is your doing the very thing you claim is wrong, but of course you wouldn't recognize that because you agree with yourself.  You make one claim, when shown it is not true, you continue to make that claim.  All you have accomplished here is revealing you allow your emotions to control your thoughts and how you interact with opposing opinion.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #714 on: April 02, 2013, 03:32:02 PM »

The funniest contradiction here is your doing the very thing you claim is wrong, but of course you wouldn't recognize that because you agree with yourself.  You make one claim, when shown it is not true, you continue to make that claim.  All you have accomplished here is revealing you allow your emotions to control your thoughts and how you interact with opposing opinion.

Please list the claims that you think have been shown to be untrue.. I must have missed them

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #715 on: April 02, 2013, 04:10:23 PM »

Kerdy and marc spending their time in a single thread going back and forth?

Win.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #716 on: April 02, 2013, 04:12:58 PM »

This ranks as probably one of the most stupid statements on this thread.  So, per your belief, Nazis are not necessarily genocidal killers because they did not believe Jews to be fully human.  The KKK should continue decorating trees with black people because they do not belive black people to be fully human.  The idea of what constitues a human has been behing nearly every mass killing.  Abortion is no different.

By any measure Nazi idea's were not reasonable and tainted by hatred and predudice and easily refutable by credible Scientific methods.

On the other hand, it is perfectly reasonable for a person to not accept your religious idea's about what a soul is or when it enters the body.

The reason is, there is absolutely no evidence or is there anything observable about those contentions. They are totally and completely faith based. You accept them because your religion says so. You take those contentions on Faith and Faith alone.

Thanks for sharing your religious idea's. They don't really translate well into the secular World where people need to be persuaded of such things. If you try to enforce your religious idea's at the point of a gun, then people will resist and rightly so.

What you don't seem to get, Marc, is that we are discussing "Is abortion actually murder?" as Christians amongst Christians on a Christian discussion board. (The answer, as has been posted, is yes, btw.)

Over and over again you say that pushing one's religion on others, etc., etc., won't work, and while you may well be right (or not, perhaps--depending on the individuals in the discussion), there is no one on this board pushing their religious beliefs on anyone else on this board, that I can determine, anyway.  Speaking of "push, push, push..." this really is the pot calling the kettle black!  What we do, and how we do it "out in the world" amongst non-believers may well be, and probably IS a different matter altogether.  The Church teaches us that abortion IS murder, and that has to be part of our frame of reference, no matter who we're talking to about it.  I don't turn my Christianity on and off out of convenience or a pseudo-consideration for others who aren't Christian.  But that does NOT mean that I also shove it down their throats out in the world.

"There is more than one way to skin a cat", the saying goes.  So, when dealing with the abortion issue with those who are non-believers, anyone with any sense or compassion will frame their argument in a way that the other will be able to hear and understand (hopefully!).  They will not at the same time, however, abandon their Christian belief, which is the very foundation upon which they approach the matter to begin with.  In fact, knowing full well that there is no state religion in this country (duh!!), try not to forget that many of our laws, including those forbidding murder, are Scripturally based.  So, in a sense, when we legislate against murder, we are forcing religious beliefs on those who don't have them but would murder if it weren't illegal.  So, the task becomes "how do we, as Christians, convince those who are not and want to murder their unborn children, that what they are doing constitutes murder, i.e. the killing of a defenseless human being?"  From what I've been able to see, there's plenty of science around that can show that a fetus (or zygote, if you prefer), is a human being.  I even posted some links to that effect earlier in this thread which it seems you have either overlooked or ignored.  And, speaking of meddlesome, God forbid that we "meddle" in anyone else's life and try to prevent them, believer or non-believer, from killing unborn babies!! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

So, if it really bothers you to insert any kind of Christian framework into a discussion about abortion, I found this which may or may not interest you:
“As a materialist, I think it has been demonstrated that an embryo is a separate body and entity, and not merely (as some really did used to argue) a growth on or in the female body.  There used to be feminists who would say that it was more like an appendix or even-this was seriously maintained-a tumor. That nonsense seems to have stopped.  Of the considerations that have stopped it, one is the fascinating and moving view provided by the sonogram, and another is the survival of ‘premature’ babies of feather-like weight, who have achieved ‘viability’ outside the womb. … The words ‘unborn child,’ even when used in a politicized manner, describe a material reality.”
-Christopher Hitchens, God is Not Great (pp. 220-21)
http://www.lifenews.com/2012/02/28/confessions-of-a-pro-life-atheist-why-i-fight-abortion/

Draw your own conclusions.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:41:02 PM by J Michael » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #717 on: April 02, 2013, 05:27:41 PM »

JMichael gets it!  We are discussing abortion from a Christian point of view.

I mean politically, I think it's great.  Can anyone here think of a more efficient way of killing off unwanted future democrats and non-producers than by framing it as a "woman's freedom to chose"?  Seriously, it's not Christians and responsible people out there needing to have abortions done.

But we're Christians here.  It has been demonstrated numerous times on this thread the soul and the baby are already one.  Abortion is Murder.  Period.

All that's left to argue now are politics and semantics. 
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #718 on: April 02, 2013, 06:10:48 PM »

What you don't seem to get, Marc, is that we are discussing "Is abortion actually murder?" as Christians amongst Christians on a Christian discussion board. (The answer, as has been posted, is yes, btw.)

Over and over again you say that pushing one's religion on others, etc., etc., won't work, and while you may well be right (or not, perhaps--depending on the individuals in the discussion), there is no one on this board pushing their religious beliefs on anyone else on this board, that I can determine, anyway.  Speaking of "push, push, push..." this really is the pot calling the kettle black!  What we do, and how we do it "out in the world" amongst non-believers may well be, and probably IS a different matter altogether.  The Church teaches us that abortion IS murder, and that has to be part of our frame of reference, no matter who we're talking to about it.  I don't turn my Christianity on and off out of convenience or a pseudo-consideration for others who aren't Christian.  But that does NOT mean that I also shove it down their throats out in the world.

"There is more than one way to skin a cat", the saying goes.  So, when dealing with the abortion issue with those who are non-believers, anyone with any sense or compassion will frame their argument in a way that the other will be able to hear and understand (hopefully!).  They will not at the same time, however, abandon their Christian belief, which is the very foundation upon which they approach the matter to begin with.  In fact, knowing full well that there is no state religion in this country (duh!!), try not to forget that many of our laws, including those forbidding murder, are Scripturally based.  So, in a sense, when we legislate against murder, we are forcing religious beliefs on those who don't have them but would murder if it weren't illegal.  So, the task becomes "how do we, as Christians, convince those who are not and want to murder their unborn children, that what they are doing constitutes murder, i.e. the killing of a defenseless human being?"  From what I've been able to see, there's plenty of science around that can show that a fetus (or zygote, if you prefer), is a human being.  I even posted some links to that effect earlier in this thread which it seems you have either overlooked or ignored.  And, speaking of meddlesome, God forbid that we "meddle" in anyone else's life and try to prevent them, believer or non-believer, from killing unborn babies!! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

So, if it really bothers you to insert any kind of Christian framework into a discussion about abortion, I found this which may or may not interest you:
“As a materialist, I think it has been demonstrated that an embryo is a separate body and entity, and not merely (as some really did used to argue) a growth on or in the female body.  There used to be feminists who would say that it was more like an appendix or even-this was seriously maintained-a tumor. That nonsense seems to have stopped.  Of the considerations that have stopped it, one is the fascinating and moving view provided by the sonogram, and another is the survival of ‘premature’ babies of feather-like weight, who have achieved ‘viability’ outside the womb. … The words ‘unborn child,’ even when used in a politicized manner, describe a material reality.”
-Christopher Hitchens, God is Not Great (pp. 220-21)
http://www.lifenews.com/2012/02/28/confessions-of-a-pro-life-atheist-why-i-fight-abortion/

Draw your own conclusions.

You are not correct.
We have been discussing if Murder is a proper way to view abortion AND the implications of doing so in society.

The definition breaks down when you get to the penalty, Many of you have participated in that end of the conversation so the topic is clearly broader than you suggest. Your suggestion is probably based on your weak ability to debate the issue so you have to pretend the question is being violated somehow. That is a false assertion.

Let's review  shall we?

The definition of abortion as murder breaks down when you take it to it's logical conclusion which would be the jailing or execution of Women who have abortions.

That is squarely on topic..

The reason it is unthinkable to punish abortion as murder is that it is not at all clear that in the early stages a human life is being taken.

Good people..reasonable people, can disagree on that point.

I realize the teachings of your religion say that even the newest zygote is a full blown person with a "soul".

That is a religious doctrine... Thanks for sharing but to threaten people with jail or execution based on a supernatural religious formulation is a non starter here in the USA..

I hope that clears things up.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 06:11:51 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #719 on: April 02, 2013, 06:46:20 PM »

Please list the claims that you think have been shown to be untrue.. I must have missed them
You've been missing a lot in this thread.
Tags: abortion cheval mort totes pferd horseus mortus 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: