OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 11:37:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mikhail Kalashnikov dies  (Read 1918 times) Average Rating: 0
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« on: December 23, 2013, 12:24:17 PM »

After a long illness the originator of the Kalashnikov assault rifle died today.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 12:49:20 PM »

Memory Eternal.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 12:58:39 PM »

Sad day.  Great man.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 01:15:26 PM »

Вечная память! Eternal memory!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 05:19:48 PM »

Why is his rifle called AK, then?  I thought AK were the inventor's initials, which obviously can't be the case if his first name as Mikhail.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 05:26:02 PM »

Avtomat Kalashnikova - Kalashnikov's machine

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 05:29:32 PM »

Why is his rifle called AK, then?  I thought AK were the inventor's initials, which obviously can't be the case if his first name as Mikhail.

Avtomat.  Means automatic, but was what the Russians called submachineguns in WWII.  Properly, they were called "pistolyet-polemyot" which means machinegun pistol, or Machine Pistol (as the Germans termed such weapons) - hence PPSh (Shpagin's Macine Pistol).  Most soldiers as far as I can tell called it an Avtomat, though (Submachinegunners = Avtomatchiki.)  Thus, AK-47 = Avtomat Kalashnikova obr 1947.  

(A note about Assault Rifles, the Ak-47 is the second rifle that fits the definition of Assault Rifle - selective fire, intermediate cartridge.  The first being the German MP-43/44/45 and some of the bizarre stop-gap Volksturmgewehrs.  Assault Rifle as a term was more of a nickname (Sturmgewehr).  Some referred to the German weapons using the designation Stg-44, etc, but as far as I can tell the official designation was MP-44, etc.  MP standing for Machinenpistole...)

Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 06:04:01 PM »

Memory eternal.

"According to the Orthodox Faith, the teachings and traditions one upholds and believes in will necessarily influence and inform one's spiritual orientation and the way one worships..." - Harry Boosalis
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 06:21:50 PM »

Isn't the AK47 a terrible weapon though, as far as accuracy?

It's iconic for sure but I never understood the appeal.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 06:42:04 PM »

Isn't the AK47 a terrible weapon though, as far as accuracy?

In WWII they found that most combat took place at 300 yards or less.  (In Vietnam it was often considerably closer.)  An AK47 can put out a metric crapton of fire.  When coupled with light machineguns and RPGs it is even more devastating.  Rifles like the FN FAL are much more accurate but have considerable recoil and are HEAVY AS ****!!!  For an intermediate cartridge, the 7.62x39 fired from the AK has quite a bit of punch.  Not as good as the FN FAL's 7.62x51mm, but you don't really need that much, typically to ruin someone's future hopes and dreams.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 06:53:51 PM »

Ingenuity in simplicity. It's more so the weapon's platform that's inspiring. Virtually every other military rifle that has come after it has been inspired by it in one way or another. It's also extremely easy to manufacture, and virtually any idiot can figure out how to use it. You could bury the gun in sand for a week and allegedly it would still fire just as well as if it had just come out of the box.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 08:50:35 PM »

It's a really great gun.  I just wish there was no wars or shooting people.

NOTE
AK-47's are much better than .22 Long Rifles (with 15 shots).
 Lips Sealed

Face a good 600 pounder with a .22 Long Rifle, and you'll know what I mean.  Shocked 

I would love to get an AK-47 for my cart if I run into one.  I just keep a simple .22 LR for small stuff....

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 10:01:50 PM »

NOTE
 Lips Sealed

Face a good 600 pounder with a .22 Long Rifle, and you'll know what I mean.  Shocked 

I would love to get an AK-47 for my cart if I run into one.  I just keep a simple .22 LR for small stuff....

Ugh.  I'd go with a .45-70 for anything that big!
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 01:01:39 AM »

May his memory be eternal.  After being seriously injured when his tank was destroyed by the Germans, he designed the AK-47.  He was a humble man and always said that his only reason for designing the AK was to protect the Motherland. I honestly have to say that I was greatly saddened to hear of his passing.  His weapon is so respected that I know of one nation that even has it as part of its flag (Mozambique).

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 07:46:15 AM »

You could bury the gun in sand for a week and allegedly it would still fire just as well as if it had just come out of the box.

Allegedly.  Like any weapon, keeping it clean will allow it to work perfectly.  If it was only dry sand, the lubricant could dry out too much, causing jams.  I've had a jammed up AK a few times and it was because it hadn't been cleaned in a long time.  That being said, you're right; any idiot can operate the rifle and clean it, since it has very few parts.

Anyway, Kalashnikov was a hero.

Fire-Bird2014

Jurisdiction: Russian/Serbian Church

Have Faith!

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 01:17:50 PM »

Very sweet, talented, humble man, who lived and died like other War veterans in Russia (very modest condo, no savings) There are 70 mln AK units sold  in 50 countries of the world. This gun belongs to the list of 20 c. greatest inventions.

He was an Orthodox Christian who helped to build Church of St Michael

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle.
Привнесите светлое, и тьма уидет!!!
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 02:48:34 PM »

You could bury the gun in sand for a week and allegedly it would still fire just as well as if it had just come out of the box.

Allegedly.  Like any weapon, keeping it clean will allow it to work perfectly.  If it was only dry sand, the lubricant could dry out too much, causing jams.  I've had a jammed up AK a few times and it was because it hadn't been cleaned in a long time.  That being said, you're right; any idiot can operate the rifle and clean it, since it has very few parts.

Anyway, Kalashnikov was a hero.

Not sure if it's true, I heard an anecdote from Vietnam about an American officer (platoon commander maybe?) who pulled an AK-47 out of a swamp, shook the muck off it, and then fired off the entire clip.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 03:00:15 PM »

NOTE
 Lips Sealed

Ugh.  I'd go with a .45-70 for anything that big!

Sometimes I keep a .357 magnum on my utility cart while going through the land, but it seems like ANY time I need it, I just have my .22 long rifle which is always on the cart.  LOL

600 pound hogs are NOT fun with a .22 long rifle!!!!   The .357 would do so much better, but I'd much rather have an ak-47 for the job.  Of course, there is always the perfect gun debate...  But I run into so many critters out there...  90% of the critters are fine with a .22LR.  8% are questionable such as 100-150 pound hogs.  

Now of course if I have my 12 gauge or .357 with me, I will only see mice, field rats, or possums.   LOL.   If I just have my .22 LR, then I drive up on a 600 pound hog.  

There is no feeling like getting chased into a tree by a insanely ticked off hog.  It's like 3 bullets left of 15.... Aim good.... pop... screech (and it gets madder).    

Sad part is you have to kill those or else they will literally break through barn wood and eat your goats/sheep.  I mean directly through the walls!

This is not me but these are like the hogs around here:  (I'd guess about 350 pounds)

I thank God I never crossed paths with one of these:

They say that was 1100 pounds (from Arkansas)!  I'd be in big trouble with that!  One of those suckers will kill you in a heartbeat if they get you.  If I saw one of those today, I'd go back for my 12 gauge, bring plenty of extra shells, and my .357 with plenty of extras.... Climb a tree near it, and start at it.

I'd MUCH rather have an AK-47 with 30 round clips for something like that.... Especially if it knocks over the tree you are in!  The reliability, the rapid shots, would be nice.

People just don't understand how dangerous these things are.  

The AK-47 I hate because of the use against people, as I hate all war.  But I'd love to get one in the event I'd have to tangle with a 1000+ pounder (or even the 600 pounders).  

One of my buddies said to me "There is no adrenaline like an angry hog coming at you, and I've been attacked by a bear"...  (He use to live in CO)

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 03:32:44 PM »

^^ Those wild hogs are becoming a big, big problem.  It's no wonder many states have 'shoot on sight' orders in regards to them.  My brother used to go just over the border to Arkansas to hunt them.  They'll charge you and, if given the chance, maul and eat you.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 04:54:56 PM »

What the...is that thing real?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 10:23:18 AM »

It was a creature God created only for the purposes of eventually being in a SyFy Chanel film.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 05:01:14 PM »

Not sure about those particular pics, but yes, wild pigs do get that big.  My state's conservation dept, the great state of Missouri, has issued a 'shoot on sight' Shoot 'Em On Sight .  They cause extensive damage to the land and eat just about anything they can catch.  If you come up on a male or even between a sow and her piglets, you better be armed or run like Usain Bolt.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 05:05:21 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2013, 07:39:28 PM »

Not sure about those particular pics, but yes, wild pigs do get that big.  My state's conservation dept, the great state of Missouri, has issued a 'shoot on sight' Shoot 'Em On Sight .  They cause extensive damage to the land and eat just about anything they can catch.  If you come up on a male or even between a sow and her piglets, you better be armed or run like Usain Bolt.

True.  I ran into a bunch of them in Southern Illinois when I was much younger.  They were nowhere near this size, but they were not happy to see me.  Thankfully I was hunting and had a shotgun with me.  The farmer who's land I was on had warned us that there were feral pigs in the area and to shoot them on sight.  None of us figured we would run in to them, and none of us were adequately armed since we were quail hunting.  The three of us did, however, come out better than two of the pigs.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 11:23:35 AM »

Apparently, Kalashnikov wrote the MP expressing guilt about his invention before he died.

http://news.yahoo.com/kalashnikov-repented-killings-letter-church-report-085934283.html

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 12:08:52 PM »

Apparently, Kalashnikov wrote the MP expressing guilt about his invention before he died.

http://news.yahoo.com/kalashnikov-repented-killings-letter-church-report-085934283.html

http://byztex.blogspot.com/2014/01/ak-47-inventor-kalashnikov-wrote.html

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: