OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 06:06:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Study The Syrian Orthodox Church With Father Samuel Issa  (Read 1873 times) Average Rating: 0
Suryoyutho

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Suryoyo (Syriac)

« on: July 16, 2012, 04:15:45 PM »

Dr Mary Cunningham talks about the Syrian Orthodox Church with Fr Samuel Issa (a priest in that church). This is a community of Christians who have lived in the Levant since the time of Jesus and whose language, Syriac, is a development of Aramaic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4BAXK4qdeI

The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 04:38:46 PM »

Welcome to the forum!   Smiley

Suryoyutho

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 04:44:37 PM »

Thanks  Smiley

The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 05:12:59 PM »

Very good interview. Tawdi saggi, Suryoyutho.

Suryoyutho

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 06:06:21 AM »

You're welcome!

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 08:13:43 AM »

What dzheremi said  Grin

Welcome to the forum, Suryoyutho!

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Suryoyutho

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 03:10:32 PM »

Happy to be here! Thanks ^^

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 04:45:59 PM »

Just for you, Suryoyutho  Cheesy 

"I'm Suryoyo And I Know It"

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 11:29:24 PM »

Welcome to the forum Suryoyutho!  angel

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 12:11:31 AM »

That video is hilarious.  The kids are having a lot of fun.   Smiley

Suryoyutho

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 03:00:07 PM »

haha, yeah, definitely having fun.  Grin

thanks Hiwot!

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 11:36:05 PM »

That video is hilarious.  The kids are having a lot of fun.   Smiley

speaking of fun... this is awesome!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBbse44qDG0&feature=related       very vibrant and beautiful culture!     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUNSVsMGw-M&feature=related         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j_WQFrzJVk&feature=related   there is more look it up  Grin

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 12:46:42 AM »

So...the reason to study the Syriac Orthodox Church is because of their cultural dances? Hmm...I don't recall Professor Sebastian Brock mentioning that in this interview on the Syriac tradition, but okay! laugh

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 01:10:42 AM »

So...the reason to study the Syriac Orthodox Church is because of their cultural dances? Hmm...I don't recall Professor Sebastian Brock mentioning that in this interview on the Syriac tradition, but okay! laugh

How cool!!!! awesome! thank you for this one dzheremi, he explains it so well. ok I will stop before I start bringing the soapbox as I am tempted to do when someone mentions st Isaac and St. Ephraim oh and st. Jacob of Serugh lol
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:15:43 AM by Hiwot » Logged

Suryoyutho

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 03:44:57 AM »

even though it's very similar (besides the language), those three videos (and music) are all people from either the Assyrian COE or Chaldean church.

a Syriac one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1GgrRLRCX8

a cool Football one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SNGLlF-Xyw

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 07:02:50 PM »

Thank you for those videos Suryoyutho  Grin

the Syriac fathers are very dear to Ethiopians, and your presence here is a wonderful thing to me my brother. The Lord blessed Ethiopia greatly when the Nine Saints came to her, from Constantinople,  Rome, and Syria . they are generally referred to as the Syriac Fathers. here is a brief account of the extent and magnitude of their Holy Work, the legacy of their faithful holy life is what is handed over to you and me,  so it is my honor to share it with you my dear brother so you may be  inspired and edified by it.

the major contribution in the missionary field was that of the nine Saints. They came to Axum about 480, and well received by the emperor Ella Amida and by the inhabitants of the city. The most outstanding figures among the Nine Saints were Za-Mikael Aregawi, Pantalewon, Afse, and Garima or Isaac (Yeshaq). As their names indicate, they came from different parts of the Eastern Roman Empire, such as Constantinople and Syria. They were all adherents of the same doctrine, however it seems that they left the countries of their origin because of religious differences; they were anti-Chalcedonian, and thus were persecuted by the roman emperor, who was an ardent supporter of the Chalcedonian doctrines. They went first to Egypt, and lived some years at the monastery founded by Pachomius, before proceeding to Ethiopia. In Axum they studied the language and became familiar with the people and customs. After this preparation they set out in different directions to proselytize and to introduce monastic institutions. Only two of them, Abba Libanos and Abba Pantalewon, remained near Axum itself, the others went further east of the capital and founded hermitages in the old pagan centres. Za-Mikael went to Debra Damo where the worship of the serpent had long flourished. He succeeded in eradicating the cult, and founded a monastery there. Abba Pantalewon transformed a pagan temple into a church. Abba Afse went to Yeha, the renowned Sabaean center, and likewise transformed the famous temple there into a church. The Afse went to Yeha, the renowned Sabaean center, and likewise transformed the famous temple there into church. The efforts of the Nine Saints to wipe out paganism did not result in their persecution, as had happened in the Roman Empire, since in Axum they had the protection and support of the sovereign.

The Nine Saints also contributed greatly to the development of the Ge’ez liturgy and literature. They introduced terms and vocabulary into Ge’ez, such as Haymanote, Religion, qasis, priest, and ta’ot, idols. But their major contribution was undoubtedly their great work of Biblical translation into Ge’ez. The work of translation had begun in part during the time of Frumentius, at that time only a few of the basic Books for worship, such as passages of the psalms, had been translated as revealed in contemporary inscriptions. The Nine Saints undertook the massive task of translating the whole Bible. Since they were familiar with both Syriac and Greek, they used a Syrio-Greek text for this purpose. Most probably each of the Nine Saints translated one portion of the Bible. This is why the Ethiopic version reveals considerable differences in style from one Book to another. The Ethiopic version is one of the earliest Bible translations, and as such it is great importance in textual criticism and in establishing the original text.

The Nine Saints also translated a number of basic religious works into Ge’ez. These are of both doctrinal and literary content. Under the title of Qerllos (Cyril) were translated dogmatical treatises and homilies of the Church Fathers, in particular the work known as de Recta Fide by St.Cyril, Patriarch of Alexandria. On this book which was translated from the Greek text, is based the teaching of the Ethiopian Church. Other works translated at this period include The Ascetic Rules of Pachomius, which still today regulate the monastic life of Ethiopia, and the Life of Saint Anthony by St, Athanasius, which is still widely read in Ethiopian Church circles.

Music and Art
The coming of the Nine Saints inaugurated a new era in the liturgical life of the Ethiopian Church and in cultural development in general. Music and art Flourished. To Yared, an Aksumite scholar of the time, is attributed the creation of Ethiopian church music. He was a disciple of the nine saints, probably of Aregawi, and composed music in three modes, which is still used in the Ethiopian church. The hymnary attributed to him is rich in inspiration and expression: perhaps it is one of the best of its kind in the orient. The influence of the nine saints extended also to art and architecture. The ruins of basilicas found in the ancient cities of Axum, Adulis and Hawlti may show a resemblance to Syriac churches. Of Aregawi at Debra Damo is the oldest existing example of Christian architecture in Ethiopia, and traces of this influence can be seen in it.

http://www.ethiopianorthodox.org/english/ethiopian/prechristian.html

With Love in Christ,
Hiwot.

Suryoyutho

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 03:01:10 AM »

That's a great read! Big thanks for the share. Your presence is as wonderful to me.

Religion is Haymonutho and priest is qasiso in Syriac so that's awesome to see that we share some words.  Smiley

Do you know what the word in Ge'ez and/or Amharic is for these people ("the Syriac Fathers") or "Syrian" or "Syriac"?

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 06:28:46 PM »

Thank you dear, we share quite a number of words besides those, my cousin was shocked when he read the Aramaic Lord's prayer , he told me, its amazing how much similar the Gi'iz is to the Aramaic and Syriac. the first words of the prayer for instance ' Abuna zaba samayat yitqadas simeke'.

as to your question, in the Gi'iz / Amharic, we call them neither Syrian nor Syriac.

They are referred as Sorawieen their language is called surist  , but among them were those who came from Constantinople , Caesarea, who spoke Greek,/ tsir/ and Hebrew/ hebrayist/.

peace to you  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:31:45 PM by Hiwot » Logged

Suryoyutho

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 11:25:40 AM »

Thank you dear, we share quite a number of words besides those, my cousin was shocked when he read the Aramaic Lord's prayer , he told me, its amazing how much similar the Gi'iz is to the Aramaic and Syriac. the first words of the prayer for instance ' Abuna zaba samayat yitqadas simeke'.

as to your question, in the Gi'iz / Amharic, we call them neither Syrian nor Syriac.

They are referred as Sorawieen their language is called surist  , but among them were those who came from Constantinople , Caesarea, who spoke Greek,/ tsir/ and Hebrew/ hebrayist/.

peace to you  Smiley
That's really interesting. In Syriac it's 'Abun d-bashmayo, Netqadash shmokh' which you probably know.

What exactly do those two words mean, "Sorawieen" and "surist"?

I'm currently reading a book on Father Abd el-Mesih el-Habashi. Very inspirational.  Smiley

FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 12:50:36 PM »

Here's a new blog my friend is just starting on the topic of the Church of the East vis-à-vis the Eastern Orthodox Church...

http://eastmeetseastblog.blogspot.com/

peace to you  Smiley
That's really interesting. In Syriac it's 'Abun d-bashmayo, Netqadash shmokh' which you probably know.

I'm currently reading a book on Father Abd el-Mesih el-Habashi. Very inspirational.  Smiley

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 08:21:40 PM »

peace to you  Smiley

May the intercession of our holy father Abba Gebre kiristos be with us my brother, his life is indeed inspirational.

Sorawieen/ sorawiyan = means those from syria

Surist is the Syriac language they spoke.

Suryoyutho

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 04:11:32 PM »

FatherGiryus, Looks very interesting and well-written. Thank you.

Hiwot, Indeed and thank you.

Tags: Syriac Orthodox 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: