OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 12:09:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About Classical music  (Read 3700 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2012, 05:57:02 PM »

So you think there's no possibility that in becoming man in order to save man, Christ didn't also seek to redeem human culture and make even what we call secular a means of our salvation? Why do you hold so strongly to such an ascetic view of the world that you deny that worldview based on our belief in the Incarnation of the Word? Asceticism is not a uniquely Orthodox phenomenon, but the dogma of the Incarnation certainly is.

I wouldn't say Christ redeemed human culture.
Then you don't believe that He came to redeem the whole of man.

What?! Where did you hear that?
Where did you hear that He came only to redeem each individual?

That He can also work through human culture and so on, He does so because He has no choice, but this fallen world will never be His construction because it is mixed with sin, it is man-made.
That's why it needs redeeming. I never said this fallen world is His construction. I only said that He can sanctify this fallen world.

You have seen quotes from St. Basil the Great that speak of the value of "secular" learning, to include exposure to classical music, to the Orthodox Christian. Do you ignore his words in favor of the words of those Fathers whom you read as supporting your view that we should make no room for "secular" music in our lives?

Orthodoxy is not man-made, it is Divinely inspired. And by the way, people who do not come to Orthodoxy in this life, they will in the next; they will not enter Heaven playing AC/DC, writing romantic poems, or holding on to, say, capitalism.  (to give random examples). Smiley
But is that ALL Christianity is about: redeeming people for the life of the age to come? Jesus Christ didn't just forgive sin; He also healed the sick and raised the dead. Though Jesus Himself lived the celibate life of a monastic, He blessed marriage by turning water into wine at a wedding feast. This tells me that Jesus gives just as much thought to our material welfare in this world as to our spiritual welfare in the next.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:16:48 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
WPM
Archon

« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2012, 06:15:27 PM »

I purchased the Russian chant CD but it was stolen.  Undecided
Tags: music 
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: