OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 09:36:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do OO Hold Funeral Services For Individuals Who Have Taken Their Own Lives?  (Read 282 times) Average Rating: 0
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« on: July 15, 2012, 05:01:14 PM »

?

(5 Characters)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 05:02:07 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 08:16:48 PM »

Some years ago there was a homeless guy who used to hang around our church.  He was very obviously not in his right mind and sometimes his behavior was bizarre.  As I recall, people helped him out as they could.  One day we found out that the police had arrested him for some reason and that he had hanged himself in his prison cell.  My priest gave him a funeral.

I have no idea what the official rules are with regard to suicide.  The impression I have is that if there is evidence the person was mentally unstable when he committed suicide, he will have a funeral.

DavidI

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 09:10:27 PM »

While I'm not familiar with the other Oriental Orthodox jurisdictions, in the Coptic Church, there is some discretion made in regards to mental fitness. HG. Bishop Youseff's full answer can be found here: http://www.suscopts.org/q&a/index.php?qid=1541&catid=689 but here's a short quote:

Suicide is seriously denounced in the church. In these horrific situations, the grief stricken family naturally needs special comfort through intense prayer and closure, which only the church can provide through the traditional funeral and burial services. The church uses wisdom, discretion, and compassion to first determine the cause of death. If it is known and documented that the person who committed suicide was mentally ill, the church will pray over the person in the common tradition of the prayers on the reposed. If in fact, it is determined that it was indeed suicide, the church may refuse the customary prayers for the reposed.

"A dog is better than I am, for he has love and he does not judge." - Abba Xanthios
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: