OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 01:56:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Predominate Orthodox Church in America  (Read 5759 times) Average Rating: 0
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #135 on: July 19, 2012, 04:47:33 PM »

So being American is only associated with the passport?

No.  Many Americans do not have passports.  To a great extent it has to do with an attitude of identification with America (meaning the United States of America) as one's home, one's culture, one's citizenship.  Some of this is very difficult to define concisely, and as was said previously, has nothing to do with ethnicity.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #136 on: July 19, 2012, 04:53:50 PM »

How culture is not related to ethnicity?
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2012, 05:00:21 PM »

It is to a certain extent, but this is the distinctive American experience. There is also an overarching "American" culture. For example, you will see a group of second generation [insert immigrant group or ethnicity here]teenagers who are more "American" than they are [original ethnic group].
My American-born Greek friends complain that when they go to Greece they are treated like Americans!

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2012, 05:02:59 PM »

J Michael is spot on with this.  There are pockets of authentic ethnic culture throughout the U.S., often in cities or suburban enclaves.  There is also a decent amount of faux-ethnic culture, with families trying to re-establish ethnic ties.  But by in large, a lot of 'American culture' is not tied directly to ethnicity.

Edit: By the way, Michal, your current avatar is pure class. Love it!   
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 05:05:30 PM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOCA

« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2012, 05:06:47 PM »

As I quoted from the Wikipedia article:
"Americans, or American people, are the citizens of the United States of America. The country is home to people of different national origins. As a result, Americans do not equate their nationality with ethnicity, but with citizenship. With the exception of the Native American population, nearly all Americans or their ancestors immigrated within the past five centuries."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americans

Take from it what you want I guess...
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2012, 07:08:43 PM »

If you live in a country, you must follow the rules, regulations, and guidelines of being there, or you have the right to leave. If he is born in America, he is an AMERICAN. DUH, just like you are Polish, get over it.

At least you don't force him to wear armbands with some fancy pictures (yet).

That's a huge, and ridiculous jump. That's like: "I don't like stars -> You hate Jews."

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2012, 07:08:43 PM »

Why can't he be a Serbian living in the USA? Why does that bother you? Why do you want to force him to become American?

Well he is an American citizen.

Can't Serbians be American citizens?

If a 20+ man approached my kid and told him he must be a Pole, I would punch that chauvinist straight in his face.

You are taking Devin the wrong way. There are many idioms in the States and he just used one to give more oomph to his statement. He did not mean that he would actually assault the kid.

I understood him well. Adult chauvinists telling children that they must become Americans are bad enough.

What I'm saying is the Serbian Kid I was speaking about is already an American citizen. There isn't a reason to divide or distinguish between a Serbian American and an Anglo American or a Russian American and a Greek American. He and I are both simply Americans. He has Serbian ancestry, I have English, Scottish, Irish, Native American and Dutch ancestry. Yet both of us are simply Americans. That doesn't mean he has to "assimilate" and forget his Serbian background, in fact he can still retain it all and be simply an American.

If a 20+ man approached my kid and told him he must be a Pole, I would punch that chauvinist straight in his face.

Why can't he be a Serbian living in the USA? Why does that bother you? Why do you want to force him to become American?

If you live in a country, you must follow the rules, regulations, and guidelines of being there, or you have the right to leave. If he is born in America, he is an AMERICAN. DUH, just like you are Polish, get over it.

I disagree celtic, I think the United States is different than most of Europe in that aspect. If my German friend moved to France and became a French citizen, I don't think that necessarily makes him French. Over there in Europe, nationality is more closely tied to ethnicity whether for good or for bad.

No, not at all. If your parents are from Ghana, and you are born and raised Norwegian, you are an African-ethnic Norwegian. If your parents are Serbs and you are born and raised in the US, you are Serbian-ethnic American.

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2012, 07:08:43 PM »

I don't have US passport or citizenship, and I consider myself part American.

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2012, 07:08:43 PM »

If you live in a country, you must follow the rules, regulations, and guidelines of being there, or you have the right to leave. If he is born in America, he is an AMERICAN.

Of course people who live in US must obey US laws and all but why an Earth people should base their identities on political entities?

Because you'd be lieing to yourself if you grew up in a country and denied being part of it.

Forgive my sins.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2012, 08:29:16 PM »

This is just me, of course, but I kind of think that other peoples' behavior in church, rude or otherwise, is none of my beeswax.

True in theory, difficult to put into practice when you are literally being physically shoved while in line to commune.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2012, 08:31:27 PM »

I am Greek

That's something new for me.

Of the self-loathing variety, Michal. <3

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2012, 09:03:12 PM »

(and I say all of this while wearing a "got ouzo?" shirt, while I'm not Greek, that doesn't mean I can't enjoy aspects of their culture,  Grin)
I doubt that is part of the Greek culture Huh Shocked Roll Eyes
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2012, 11:27:54 AM »

This is just me, of course, but I kind of think that other peoples' behavior in church, rude or otherwise, is none of my beeswax.

True in theory, difficult to put into practice when you are literally being physically shoved while in line to commune.

See, this is where I derive great pleasure from bowing to the shover, and saying quietly, "would you like to go ahead of me?" It doesn't faze them a bit, of course, I feel better!  Grin

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2012, 10:58:38 PM »

If you live in a country, you must follow the rules, regulations, and guidelines of being there, or you have the right to leave. If he is born in America, he is an AMERICAN.

Of course people who live in US must obey US laws and all but why an Earth people should base their identities on political entities?

Because you'd be lieing to yourself if you grew up in a country and denied being part of it.

Being part of something is not the same as identifying as something.  Smiley

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #149 on: July 22, 2012, 12:26:30 PM »

Mayhaps not, but if you grew up in the states as a Serb, you should call yourself Serbian-American atleast. Because you are an ethnic Serb raised in America.

Forgive my sins.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #150 on: July 22, 2012, 03:35:19 PM »

Being part of something is not the same as identifying as something.  Smiley

Mayhaps not, but if you grew up in the states as a Serb, you should call yourself Serbian-American atleast. Because you are an ethnic Serb raised in America.

I think that Celtic is quite right. Besides, it would be exceedingly odd (unusual) to have lived in America all your life without some kind of "Americanism" rubbing off on you. Hence, Serbian-American, which may seem strange in other, more homogeneous countries but in this one, thank God, you are not forced to change your ethnicity. Indeed, there are quite a few scholars of all disciplines who believe that there is no such thing as American ethnicity but there is a more diffuse, harder to pinpoint, American identity, which over-arches ethic identities without subsuming them. In this situation, there is no question that the individual ethnicity and the American identity influence and change each other to some degree. Thus, one can speak of oneself as Irish-, Italian-, German-, etc,. and Serbian-American.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 03:37:42 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #151 on: July 22, 2012, 04:01:32 PM »

Why do you refuse people to choose fr themselves whoever they'd like to be?
Taxiarches

« Reply #152 on: July 22, 2012, 04:27:48 PM »

I do not think that any red-blooded American would ever do that. You are simply misinterpreting what Celticfan1888 and others have been saying. Folks can choose whatever they would like but that does not immunize them from criticism. It seems to me that you are saying that folks can do whatever what they want and be free of any criticism.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #153 on: July 22, 2012, 05:44:16 PM »

I think there lies the heart of misunderstanding in this. It could be that European national identities tend to be a lot more exclusive than the American ones so maybe from Serbian/European perspective there is no such thing as "Serbian-American". There is only "Serbian" or "American". It's a topic of another discussion whether US or European discourse is more correct one but anyway IMHO the could be a difference between US and European perspective.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2012, 07:03:38 PM »

Because sometimes people want to be something they are not.  Men deciding they want to be women, etc.  Reality must be maintained.  I remember some time ago there was a fellow who believed he was Napoleon, but he wasn’t.  I don’t see it so much as a refusal, rather more a balancing of reality.

But, in truth, if it doesn't hurt anyone, to include the person, I see no serious problems with it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:07:14 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2012, 07:05:14 PM »

I’m a Scottish-Irish-English-Norwegian-Swedish-Native American.  Did I win anything?

In all seriousness, when I hear _____-American it’s like nails on a chalk board.  Unless a person was born in another country and then became an American citizen, it’s an inaccurate title.  If born in America, you are American.  If you live in America, but are not a citizen, you are whatever country citizen you came from.  If you were born somewhere else and became an American citizen, then the title would fit.  

I laugh when I explain to people Charlize Theron is African and Aboriginals are not African-American, and then see a perplexed look on their face.  Ethnicity and Nationality are no longer intertwined, especially after so many centuries of interracial/intercultural mingling.  

Please do not misunderstand.  I have no problem (not that it would make any difference Smiley )when using these things as a way to identify oneself, as you see Scottish is first on my list after finding out my Great-Grandmother belonged a Sept of the Clan MacLean, thus I barely qualify for membership.  Its heritage, but it’s an inward (I think) identity, not an outward.

Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:05:55 PM by Kerdy » Logged
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #156 on: July 22, 2012, 10:59:31 PM »

I’m a Scottish-Irish-English-Norwegian-Swedish-Native American.  Did I win anything?

In all seriousness, when I hear _____-American it’s like nails on a chalk board.  Unless a person was born in another country and then became an American citizen, it’s an inaccurate title.  If born in America, you are American.  If you live in America, but are not a citizen, you are whatever country citizen you came from.  If you were born somewhere else and became an American citizen, then the title would fit.  

I laugh when I explain to people Charlize Theron is African and Aboriginals are not African-American, and then see a perplexed look on their face.  Ethnicity and Nationality are no longer intertwined, especially after so many centuries of interracial/intercultural mingling.  

Please do not misunderstand.  I have no problem (not that it would make any difference Smiley )when using these things as a way to identify oneself, as you see Scottish is first on my list after finding out my Great-Grandmother belonged a Sept of the Clan MacLean, thus I barely qualify for membership.  Its heritage, but it’s an inward (I think) identity, not an outward.

Just my two cents.

So I don't have the right to call myself part American despite living here?

Forgive my sins.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #157 on: July 23, 2012, 10:32:10 AM »

Just my two cents.

What does "part American" *mean*?

In America, freedom of speech is guaranteed by our constitution.  You may *call* yourself anything you like, but that doesn't necessarily make it true.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #158 on: July 23, 2012, 12:15:38 PM »

Just my two cents.

Sure you can, if you want.  But if I moved and lived in Scotland the rest of my life, I would still be American unless I became a British subject.
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #159 on: July 23, 2012, 12:23:05 PM »

If you don't speak the language of whatever ethnicity you identify with, then you are just an American and you aren't [fill in the blanks] in any meaningful sense.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2012, 12:30:05 PM »

If you don't speak the language of whatever ethnicity you identify with, then you are just an American and you aren't [fill in the blanks] in any meaningful sense.

Tell that to Belgians, Cypriots, Swisses...
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2012, 03:08:04 PM »

I mean in an American context.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #162 on: July 23, 2012, 03:25:33 PM »

There are not Belgian, Cyprtiot, or Swiss languages. Duh.

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #163 on: July 23, 2012, 03:25:33 PM »

Just my two cents.

Sure you can, if you want.  But if I moved and lived in Scotland the rest of my life, I would still be American unless I became a British subject.

Well I never denied being Norse, I am and I am proud of it. But I am just as much American living here for the past 10 years (since I was 12).

You told me because I am not a citizen, I am not American, your words. lol

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #164 on: July 23, 2012, 03:25:33 PM »

Just my two cents.

What does "part American" *mean*?

In America, freedom of speech is guaranteed by our constitution.  You may *call* yourself anything you like, but that doesn't necessarily make it true.

I've spent half my life here... So Norse-American makes sense...

Forgive my sins.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #165 on: July 23, 2012, 03:26:18 PM »

There is no American language too.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #166 on: July 23, 2012, 03:29:01 PM »

Not anymore.  It used to be English.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #167 on: July 23, 2012, 05:12:10 PM »

Americans speak English; Belgians speak German, French, or Dutch; and Swiss speak Italian, German, or Spanish. Those are their languages.

Forgive my sins.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #168 on: July 23, 2012, 07:31:12 PM »

Cypriots who identify as such are pretty bizarre, in my opinion.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #169 on: July 23, 2012, 08:49:33 PM »

The OCA should be the unchallenged organization in the Americas.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #170 on: July 23, 2012, 09:06:04 PM »

Do Austrians speak Austrianeese?
Taxiarches

« Reply #171 on: July 23, 2012, 09:14:53 PM »

The OCA should be the unchallenged organization in the Americas.

Welcome back!

Taxiarches

« Reply #172 on: July 23, 2012, 09:18:06 PM »

Could you live with the following revision?

If you don't speak the language of whatever ethnicity you identify with, then you may be a hyphenated American and you aren't only [fill in the blanks].

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #173 on: July 23, 2012, 09:36:36 PM »

Perhaps it's time to rename this thread. Or split it.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Paisius
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #174 on: July 23, 2012, 10:44:29 PM »

Agreed. I see the Greeks getting a bad rap often, and I don't want to diss anyone's experience, but this has definitely not been mine. The first Divine Liturgy I attended was at a Greek Orthodox parish..

Like you, the first Divine Liturgy I ever attended was at a Greek parish; and although I am a member of an OCA parish I still love to attend that Greek parish on a fairly regular basis. I would point out that this parish is heavily ethnic in it's makeup and never once have I felt unwelcome. In fact if not for the courtesy of a nice lady who saw me looking lost in the parking lot the very first time I went there and invited me to sit with her and her family during the liturgy I may not be Orthodox today. It was an experience of hospitality that I remember to this day, especially when I see a new person at my parish looking lost...... Wink
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #175 on: July 24, 2012, 01:08:08 AM »

Perhaps it's time to rename this thread. Or split it.

I concur

Forgive my sins.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #176 on: July 24, 2012, 10:57:06 AM »

Wrong--just ask the English.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:02:49 AM by J Michael » Logged

gzt

Jurisdiction: OCA, then GOA, now OCA

« Reply #177 on: July 24, 2012, 11:01:35 AM »

In the last neighborhood I lived in, if I walked around, there were signs in English, Spanish, and Arabic. In my current neighborhood, it's English, Spanish, and Polish. Other neighborhoods, other languages. I suppose English and Spanish were the common denominators throughout.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: