OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 11:19:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Akathist or Canon to St. Mary of Egypt  (Read 1236 times) Average Rating: 0
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« on: July 14, 2012, 08:32:42 AM »

If it exists. Does anybody know where I can find the online text of an Akathist or Canon to St. Mother Mary of Egypt?

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:07:08 AM »

If it exists. Does anybody know where I can find the online text of an Akathist or Canon to St. Mother Mary of Egypt?

I am sure there is an Akathist out there for her some place, try Romania they seem to love them. Her canon is part of the Great Canon that is sung the first and fifth week of lent.

Joseph
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 09:10:45 AM »

According to a post over on the ByzCath forums (which can be found by putting "Book of Akathists" table of contents into Google. It's the first non-sponsored link), an Akathist to St. Mary of Egypt is in the Book of Akathists, Vol. II.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 12:26:02 PM »

I am sure there is an Akathist out there for her some place, try Romania they seem to love them. Her canon is part of the Great Canon that is sung the first and fifth week of lent.
Case closed! 
Thanks for the suggestions...I used Google Search Romanian and Google Search Russian to find several sites with the Akathist. Then I translated them to English using Google Translate.

http://www.pravoslavie.ks.ua/rubric/akafisty/article/akafist-prepodobnoj-marii-egipetskoj
http://www.crestinortodox.ro/acatiste/acatistul-sfintei-maria-egipteanca-67070.html

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
Tags: akathist St. Mary of Egypt 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: