Author Topic: Akathist or Canon to St. Mary of Egypt  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Cantor Krishnich

• High Elder
  • Mar Ahmed the Daftadar
Akathist or Canon to St. Mary of Egypt
« on: July 14, 2012, 08:32:42 AM »
If it exists. Does anybody know where I can find the online text of an Akathist or Canon to St. Mother Mary of Egypt?
Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
Re: Akathist or Canon to St. Mary of Egypt
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:07:08 AM »
If it exists. Does anybody know where I can find the online text of an Akathist or Canon to St. Mother Mary of Egypt?

I am sure there is an Akathist out there for her some place, try Romania they seem to love them. Her canon is part of the Great Canon that is sung the first and fifth week of lent.
Joseph

Offline Benjamin the Red

• Recovering Calvinist
  • OC.net guru
  • Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 09:10:45 AM »
According to a post over on the ByzCath forums (which can be found by putting "Book of Akathists" table of contents into Google. It's the first non-sponsored link), an Akathist to St. Mary of Egypt is in the Book of Akathists, Vol. II.
"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy

Offline Cantor Krishnich

• High Elder
  • Mar Ahmed the Daftadar
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 12:26:02 PM »

I am sure there is an Akathist out there for her some place, try Romania they seem to love them. Her canon is part of the Great Canon that is sung the first and fifth week of lent.
Case closed! 
Thanks for the suggestions...I used Google Search Romanian and Google Search Russian to find several sites with the Akathist. Then I translated them to English using Google Translate.

http://www.pravoslavie.ks.ua/rubric/akafisty/article/akafist-prepodobnoj-marii-egipetskoj
http://www.crestinortodox.ro/acatiste/acatistul-sfintei-maria-egipteanca-67070.html
Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!