OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 05:25:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assyrians in Turkey Offered Land Already Belonging to Other Minorities  (Read 302 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: July 14, 2012, 12:54:44 AM »

Not a surprise:

Controversy has risen over plots of land that Turkey's Syriac [Assyrian] community has claimed were offered to them for the establishment of their first church in Istanbul. Two alternative spaces also offered to the Syriac community by the Istanbul municipality belong to the Armenian and Greek foundations respectively, it has emerged.

One of the land plots offered is allegedly a historical cemetery belonging to the Armenian community and the only property belonging to the Surp Stephanos Church Foundation in Istanbul's Yeşilköy district. The other piece of land belongs to the Greek Hagios Stephanos Foundation.

http://www.aina.org/news/20120713185954.htm

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 01:54:48 AM »

Not a surprise:

Controversy has risen over plots of land that Turkey's Syriac [Assyrian] community has claimed were offered to them for the establishment of their first church in Istanbul. Two alternative spaces also offered to the Syriac community by the Istanbul municipality belong to the Armenian and Greek foundations respectively, it has emerged.

One of the land plots offered is allegedly a historical cemetery belonging to the Armenian community and the only property belonging to the Surp Stephanos Church Foundation in Istanbul's Yeşilköy district. The other piece of land belongs to the Greek Hagios Stephanos Foundation.

http://www.aina.org/news/20120713185954.htm

such is the justice of a kangaroo court. setting more crafty longterm trap to snare the rest of the minorities as well..

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 01:59:20 AM »

Well they're certainly not going to be giving up any Muslim-owned land, are they?

kijabeboy03
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 11:55:51 PM »

I could not believe the audacity of it! God grant us unity in the face of such things!

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Suryoyutho

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Suryoyo (Syriac)

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 03:54:05 PM »

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/syriacs-offered-land-already-belong-to-other-minorities.aspx?pageID=238&nID=25469&NewsCatID=339

Controversy has risen over plots of land that Turkey’s Syriac community has claimed were offered to them for the establishment of their first church in Istanbul. Two alternative spaces also offered to the Syriac community by the Istanbul municipality belong to the Armenian and Greek foundations respectively, it has emerged.

One of the land plots offered is allegedly a historical cemetery belonging to the Armenian community and the only property belonging to the Surp Stephanos Church Foundation in Istanbul’s Yeşilköy district. The other piece of land belongs to the Greek Hagios Stephanos Foundation.

The land options were proposed to the Syriac community 10 days ago, according to K.H., one of the leading figures of the Syrian community.

“They present us lands belonging to other minority communities,” K.H said. “They aim to create polemics by giving us land which belongs to another minority community. This is a scandal in its true sense.”

Officials from the Surp Stephanos Church Foundation expressed disapproval at the municipality’s recent offering. “This is the only property belonging to our foundation. We have difficulties in meeting our needs, so how could we give this land to someone else?” Arev Cebeci, one of the administrators of Yeşilköy Surp Stephanos Church Foundation, said.

The Surp Stephanos Church Foundation is currently involved in a legal case against the municipality over the return of property. “Just after the approval of the new foundation law to return properties, we opened a legal case against the municipality and won. However, the Metropolitan Municipality brought the case to the Court of Appeal. We believe that the court’s decision will be in our favor,” Cebeci said.
The foundation would consider releasing the land on only one condition, Cebeci said. “If the Syriac community wants to buy the land, we could consider delivering it.”

Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality refused to comment on questions from the Hürriyet Daily News.
“As an individual, I believe in the importance of cooperation between the different minority groups in Turkey,” said Greek-origin Laki Vingas, who is in charge of minority foundations in the Foundations Directorate General.

“The Syriacs have been struggling to establish their own church for a long time. Their struggle should be supported, but I insist on the fact that my individual opinion does not interest my community,” he said.

The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.
Tags: Turkish Republic 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: