OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 07:08:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian verb question  (Read 1212 times) Average Rating: 0
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« on: June 01, 2011, 10:11:03 PM »

Christ is ascended!

I purchased Rosetta Stone Russian for my birthday to help me get ahead for my Russian courses next academic year. So far I love it, but I am confused with some grammar. I emailed the woman who will be my professor in the Fall so I can get the book to supplement the Rosetta Stone program, but I wanted to ask a question here as well:

One picture has people swimming and it says: взрослые плавают. While the picture next to it has a few guys swimming, saying: мужчины плывёт. Up until this point, I've seen плывёт for more than one. What is the significance of плавают? Any help would be appreciated. Cheesy

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 11:06:59 PM »

The hairy details will come later, I'm sure, but Russian verbs of motion (to go, to drive, to fly, etc.) have unidirectional and multidirectional forms. (It's the difference between "I am driving to New York" and "I am driving around New York". The verbs are different in Russian.)

Your first example, the verb is conjugated to mean "they are swimming (around)", while the second, it means "he is swimming (to a certain place)".

Also, you may wish to check if it actually says your second example, as that's a singular verb paired with a plural noun.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:10:03 PM by yBeayf » Logged
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 06:31:43 AM »

After years of experience with Russian, I'd say that the language's verbs of motion are probably the most challenging aspect for English speakers. Beyond whatever your class is using, you'll need a workbook dedicated specifically for motion verbs and you'll need to do hundreds of exercises before they can sink in.

I'd recommend Murav'eva's Verbs of Motion in Russia, cheap used copies of which are easily available at Amazon.com. When I started researching verbs of motion in Russia's minority languages and needed to understand the Russian system first to use various works of scholarship, I'd always start my day with a few exercises from her book.
gonefishing
Banned

Faith: None

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 03:16:10 AM »

My study of Russian was in college.  It was only two years in length and took place 31 years ago.  Stumbling around in here trying to remember even the sounds of the alphabet, I realize that sadly, most of it has gone away from me now but I do seem to remember getting an awful lot of mileage out of the phrase "Ya nyeh zna-yoo."
Vladik
High Elder

From the CIS with love

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 12:49:17 PM »

мужчины плывёт

It must be a misprint. Here is how it's correctly:

(singular) мужчина плывёт (a man is swimming)
(plural) мужчины плывут (some men are swimming)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: