Author Topic: From Mormonism to Orthodoxy  (Read 32709 times)

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
Re: From Mormonism to Orthodoxy
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2010, 12:20:40 AM »
Well, I figure the beliefs of Mormonism, while not good religion, aren't bad sci-fi.  A bunch of gods on a far-away planet, Lucifer as a son of God leading a rebellion and crashing to earth, Jesus as the good son being sent to earth, it's a doomed planet away from Superman.

Any DVD would have to be prime MST3K treatment.

You know, my Mormon friend said that the whole Jesus and Satan being brothers thing was Catholic and he never heard of it in the LDS.

Not bad sci-fi? Well it is better than what you can get on SyFy but it almost has a touch of Battlefield Earth to it...

Duh.  Battlefield Earth is the allegory of Dianetics, which is the holy book of Scientology.  Scientology is to Mormonism what Babylon 5 is to Star Trek.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline dcommini

• Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
  • OC.net guru
  • Beannachd Dia dhuit
    • Life of an Orthodox Soldier
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2010, 12:23:12 AM »
Well, I figure the beliefs of Mormonism, while not good religion, aren't bad sci-fi.  A bunch of gods on a far-away planet, Lucifer as a son of God leading a rebellion and crashing to earth, Jesus as the good son being sent to earth, it's a doomed planet away from Superman.

You know, my Mormon friend said that the whole Jesus and Satan being brothers thing was Catholic and he never heard of it in the LDS.

Not bad sci-fi? Well it is better than what you can get on SyFy but it almost has a touch of Battlefield Earth to it...

Duh.  Battlefield Earth is the allegory of Dianetics, which is the holy book of Scientology.  Scientology is to Mormonism what Babylon 5 is to Star Trek.

Yes, I know, bro... that is exactly the point I was trying to make... yeesh, siblings  ::)
OblSB

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2010, 12:23:54 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing Trey Park and Matt Stone's "Book of Mormon" production on stage, should be hilarious.

I miss MST3K
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Clancy Boy

« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2010, 01:01:32 AM »
As a result, I've seen stats that claim that Utah's sugar consumtion is the highest in the nation.

Funny true story I heard in marketing class.  For a while in the 70s there were no Red Lobsters in the state of Utah.  No one wanted to try opening one because the chain didn't make much profit on the food (which was not marked up very much at all,) but on alcohol (which was marked up 500% or more.)

The first restaurant to open up in Utah however made incredible amounts of money.  Why?  Because what it didn't earn in drink sales it more than made up for in dessert sales, which also have a high markup.

Utah consumes sugar the way other states consume liquor.

Also caffeine drinks were NOT the subject of endless debate 20 years ago.  It was forbidden.  Vending machines at BYU did not sell it, and neither did Provo convenience stores.

I remember this clearly because I left Utah around that time and missed everything that happened over the next 15 years  When I came back I felt like Rip Van friggin' Winkle.  Not only had this prohibition been lifted, but no one remembered there had been a prohibition in the first place.  My own parents who punished me once for bringing home a 2-liter bottle of coke now gleefully consume the stuff during family home evening.

What drives me nuts about the Mormons is their hivemind.  Overintellectualizing your religion is of course bad but they take it to the opposite extreme.  You've got to be completely switched off to be a good Mormon.

Offline Clancy Boy

« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2010, 01:06:06 AM »
Also, they don't drink tea (among other things) because its bad for your health,
As a result, I've seen stats that claim that Utah's sugar consumtion is the highest in the nation.

Here's a quick rundown of what's kosher for Mormons and what's not, food-wise:

Definitely okay:
Hot apple cider and hot cocoa.
Caffeine-free soft drinks.
Chocolate (which entertainer Marie Osmond has labeled "Mormon medication").
Moderate quantities of meat.
Postum (which is fine from the perspective of Mormon orthodoxy, though maybe not from the standpoint of good taste).
A diet rich in grains and vegetables.

Probably okay:
Herbal tea (according to the Word of Wisdom, herbs are "to be used with prudence and thanksgiving").
Cooking with wine, because the alcoholic content burns off during cooking. Some very conservative Mormons, however, won't use so much as a teaspoon of vanilla extract in a batch of chocolate-chip cookies.

Possibly okay: Nonalcoholic beer and sparkling cider rather than champagne. However, some Mormons think they should avoid even looking like they're drinking forbidden substances, because drinking them may confuse people.

Probably not okay, but no one knows for sure: Decaffeinated coffee. A June 1988 article in the official Church magazine never said that decaf is forbidden, but it did take pains to point out that decaf drinkers suffer elevated risk for ulcers and other gastrointestinal difficulties. However, bishops and stake presidents aren't supposed to deny a member a temple recommend for drinking decaf, and Apostle John Widtsoe advised members that consumption of decaffeinated drinks isn'tagainst the Word of Wisdom.

Definitely not okay:
Alcohol, including wine and beer.
Black tea, green tea,and other caffeinated teas.
Coffee and recipes that use it (which may even include desserts like tiramisu, though the authors hope not).
Iced coffee and iced caffeinated tea.
Illegal drugs, recreational drugs, and illicit prescription medications.
Tobacco.

The subject of endless debate: Caffeinated soft drinks.

You forgot that old Mormon bugaboo coffee ice cream.  Once coffee has been whipped and frozen it is no longer in the "definitely not okay" category.

Offline Clancy Boy

« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2010, 01:14:49 AM »

If one of the movies is the iMax film Legend that used to play at the visitors center, it's very MST3K-able. 

Awful, awful movie.

If one of the movies is the Singles Second Ward, locate an exorcist immediately.

Awful, just awful.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2010, 03:22:03 AM »
Don't mess with those Mormon girls.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline dcommini

• OC.net guru
  • Beannachd Dia dhuit
« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2010, 03:34:08 AM »

LMAO! Elder Tree is awesome!

Back to the topic of caffeine... I once heard that the LDS church owned Pepsi or some such hoopla, anybody know how true that is? I wonder what else they own (aside from every ancestral record starting with you and tracing back to Adam)...
OblSB

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2010, 03:42:40 AM »

Back to the topic of caffeine... I once heard that the LDS church owned Pepsi or some such hoopla, anybody know how true that is? I wonder what else they own (aside from every ancestral record starting with you and tracing back to Adam)...
The Mormons and the Patels own all the hotels in America.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline dcommini

• OC.net guru
  • Beannachd Dia dhuit
« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2010, 04:21:47 AM »

The Mormons and the Patels own all the hotels in America.

That would not surprise me.
OblSB

Check out my blog...

Offline WetCatechumen

• Roman Catholic
  • Elder
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2010, 04:32:19 AM »
I was a near casualty to Mormonism. The reason? Protestantism left me wanting with questions that the Mormons had answers too, in addition to most of my friends being Mormons and them being much holier and more pious in general than the Christians I knew.

Catholicism blew Mormonism's answers out of the water. I had just been so brainwashed in being raised Protestant to hate Catholicism and assume it was wrong that I never realized it held the answers the whole times.

Of course, the Orthodox Church could lay the same claim and blow the Mormons out of the water just the same - but obviously I went West for reasons in addition to this (which I obviously won't discuss here - we have a whole forum for that).
"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence

Offline Aidan

« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2010, 05:55:20 AM »
I was a near casualty to Mormonism. The reason? Protestantism left me wanting with questions that the Mormons had answers too, in addition to most of my friends being Mormons and them being much holier and more pious in general than the Christians I knew.

Catholicism blew Mormonism's answers out of the water. I had just been so brainwashed in being raised Protestant to hate Catholicism and assume it was wrong that I never realized it held the answers the whole times.

Of course, the Orthodox Church could lay the same claim and blow the Mormons out of the water just the same - but obviously I went West for reasons in addition to this (which I obviously won't discuss here - we have a whole forum for that).
Throughout my quite long life I have occasional come across Mormons and listened to what they had to say. In agreement with you I found them generally more holy and more pious than most Christians. They also put themselves out to try and convert you (as do the JWs).
When was the last time a member of the Orthodox (or even the RC) faith tried to convert you. I want to know what I have to do to avoid being accused of being a slouch by my Saviour when I come to be judged.
Any ideas
?

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #102 on: December 30, 2010, 07:44:41 AM »
When was the last time a member of the Orthodox (or even the RC) faith tried to convert you. I want to know what I have to do to avoid being accused of being a slouch by my Saviour when I come to be judged.
Any ideas
?

It is usually difficult and impossible to change anyone else at all.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Aidan

« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2010, 07:53:00 AM »
Any ideas
?

It is usually difficult and impossible to change anyone else at all.
But in Britain it's not easy to find your way into Orthodoxy. You meet little encouragement and you are unlikely to meet a glowing example of the Faith in the normal course of everyday life. So you probably come to it through reading and seeking people out.
Is this the way of the Apostolic church?

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2010, 08:03:40 AM »
It's the same in America. Superficially speaking, the "I think, therefore I am" thinking of the Western world is something that is extremely hard to breakthrough to someone. It is completely illogical and impractical to try to make other people change, particularily in the way we normally attempt to do it-by telling then to change. That simply doesn't work.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Aidan

« Reply #105 on: December 30, 2010, 08:51:48 AM »
It's the same in America. Superficially speaking, the "I think, therefore I am" thinking of the Western world is something that is extremely hard to breakthrough to someone. It is completely illogical and impractical to try to make other people change, particularily in the way we normally attempt to do it-by telling then to change. That simply doesn't work.
I suppose I'm thinking of Our Saviour's command to 'Let our light shine before men, that they may see your good works , and glorify your Father which is in heaven.' Maybe I'm judging people but I don't know any living examples of this. One good work would seem to be inviting people to Orthodoxy but I don't see it happening.

Offline WetCatechumen

• Roman Catholic
  • Elder
« Reply #106 on: December 30, 2010, 10:06:29 PM »

Throughout my quite long life I have occasional come across Mormons and listened to what they had to say. In agreement with you I found them generally more holy and more pious than most Christians. They also put themselves out to try and convert you (as do the JWs).
Any ideas
?
I know personally, in real life, three converts to Orthodoxy. I know many more to Catholicism (only because I am Catholic).

My very good friend, who is one of those three converts, is the only one who extended any effort towards converting me to Orthodoxy. I've not known many Orthodox Christians - I suspect that it just wasn't obvious, although there were obviously some.

My group of RC friends, many of whom are converts, are very evangelical. My friend was, in a way, converted by the young Protestant converts from Biola University.
"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2010, 11:00:08 PM »
I think this is pretty good regarding cults like Mormonism and JW

Encouraging people to verify claims and seek proof (and hence discouraging their gullibility) is a guaranteed way to get slammed if you are preaching lies. Let us suppose for a minute that you are trying to start a false religion. In order to support your false religion, you decide to make up a number of historical (i.e., testable) claims, and then hope that nobody would check up on them.

In other words, despite the advice given in factors #7 (i.e., don't make up historical claims) and #13 (i.e., that people will check out your claims), you've decided to take a punt and hope that people will be gullible enough to join your religion. What is the most important thing to do, if you have made up claims that are provably false? Well, of course, you don't go around encouraging people to check up on your claims, knowing that if they do so you will be found out!

Suppose, for example, you are starting a new UFO cult, where the faithful will be taken up into a UFO that is waiting for them. Such a cultist would usually follow advice from factor #7, and make sure the UFO is somewhere where people can't go and check up on it (e.g., assert that the UFO is hiding behind the Moon). But suppose you ignored this advice, and instead asserted that the UFO was waiting in a cave in a mountain not far from the city.

The last thing you would do is encourage people to go to the cave and check out your claim - thereby discouraging the very gullibility that your cult's survival depends on. If you wanted to attract people to join your cult, you'd have to do the direct opposite - discourage your potential recruits from checking it out (perhaps by throwing in a clause "If anyone goes to the cave before their time, they will not be taken.")

Throughout the NT, the apostles encouraged people to check seek proof and verify facts:

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
And when fledgling converts heeded this advice, not only did they remain converts (suggesting that the evidence held up under scrutiny), but the apostles described them as "noble" for doing so:

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

As if the apostles weren't making things hard enough for themselves by making extraordinary and testable claims in a social environment where it was difficult to keep secrets, they increased the odds significantly by actively encouraging people to check out their claims. Encouraging people to verify claims and seek proof is a guaranteed way of ensuring that your fledgling cult is a flop - unless, of course, those claims hold up under the scrutiny that your encouragement will undoubtedly generate.
http://www.oodegr.com/english/atheismos/impossible_faith.htm
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 11:00:49 PM by Achronos »

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline peteprint

• High Elder
« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2010, 11:50:14 PM »
A friend that I knew a number of years ago had converted to Mormonism.  I remember her proudly mentioning that their clergy did not take a salary.  That is very deceptive with regards to the top leadership of the LDS Church.

For most of the Church's history, it's leaders have run the Church owned businesses, which include Beneficial Life.  I read that a few years back they made some cosmetic changes in the boards that run these corporations, but the fact remains that the LDS Church is run as a business and is very wealthy.

This link is to a page put out by anti-Mormon Protestants but is still a good read regarding their properties and business concerns:

http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon410.htm

This is from a Time magazine article about the Mormon business empire:

"In the first century of corporate Mormonism, the church's leaders were partners, officers or directors in more than 900 Utah-area businesses. They owned woolen mills, cotton factories, 500 local co-ops, 150 stores and 200 miles of railroad. Moreover, when occasionally faced with competition, they insisted that church members patronize LDS-owned businesses. Eventually this became too much for the U.S. Congress. In 1887 it passed the Edmunds-Tucker Act, specifically to smash the Mormons' vertical monopolies."

http://www.lds-mormon.com/time.shtml

When Mormon leaders sit on the boards, or direct multi-million dollar corporations bought with church money, it is disingenuous for them to claim they are paid no salary for their Church work.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #109 on: January 01, 2011, 02:24:11 PM »
But in Britain it's not easy to find your way into Orthodoxy. You meet little encouragement and you are unlikely to meet a glowing example of the Faith in the normal course of everyday life. So you probably come to it through reading and seeking people out.

Well, evangelism is also a part of it, but I really am starting to wonder if spending all of your time arguing with other Christians constitutes evangelism:

"Hey, I've got some Good News! You're wrong about Jesus and I'm right!"

Offline Shlomlokh

• 主哀れめよ!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Bulgarian/GOA
« Reply #110 on: January 01, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »

Well, evangelism is also a part of it, but I really am starting to wonder if spending all of your time arguing with other Christians constitutes evangelism:

Very good point. There are many times when I go past these so-called "non-denominational churches" or have friends from there spouting off the newest heresies that their church is teaching that I just want to tell that entire church about Holy Orthodoxy. However, I don't think that would be the right approach and would probably end up being prideful and not Christ-like.

In Christ,
Andrew
"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos

Offline Aidan

« Reply #111 on: January 01, 2011, 02:48:42 PM »

Very good point. There are many times when I go past these so-called "non-denominational churches" or have friends from there spouting off the newest heresies that their church is teaching that I just want to tell that entire church about Holy Orthodoxy. However, I don't think that would be the right approach and would probably end up being prideful and not Christ-like.

In Christ,
Andrew
It may also be negligent! To hell with such worries! They might never hear except from you.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2011, 03:00:31 PM »
Well, I for one have enough perspective to realize that I am not God and it is not my job to spend all of my time arguing with all of the other Christians I know. All of my family is either Roman Catholic or Protestant and I don't go to family gatherings presuming to lecture any of them about how wrong their groups are. Many of them are my elders, and they have my respect and deference. Should any of them inquire about Orthodoxy to me, then I am always willing to discuss and in those cases would make a strong case for Orthodoxy. But I also know that my mind is limited, and one of my greatest temptations is to love to argue and try to prove that I'm right about everything. I did this a lot when I was into Calvinism about a decade ago, trying to convince everybody how right this system of thinking was. I realized years later after I was very disillusioned and burned-out that all of that arguing had very little to do with God and a whole lot to do with my ego. So I have to be careful in how I approach people.

Before we share Christ we have to have peace, and as my peace increases, so does my outward expression of my Orthodox faith. I presume to lecture no one, but only to share the life and peace inside of me. But in order to have something to share, there must be some measure of acquisition. If I am not peaceful, then how can I share peace? If I am not divine, then how can I share Divinity?

It is not enough to argue and lecture, but I agree that Orthodox Christians must be more vocal. We must evangelize.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 03:01:46 PM by Alveus Lacuna »

Offline Shlomlokh

• 主哀れめよ!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Bulgarian/GOA
« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2011, 03:36:14 PM »
Well, I for one have enough perspective to realize that I am not God and it is not my job to spend all of my time arguing with all of the other Christians I know. All of my family is either Roman Catholic or Protestant and I don't go to family gatherings presuming to lecture any of them about how wrong their groups are. Many of them are my elders, and they have my respect and deference. Should any of them inquire about Orthodoxy to me, then I am always willing to discuss and in those cases would make a strong case for Orthodoxy. But I also know that my mind is limited, and one of my greatest temptations is to love to argue and try to prove that I'm right about everything. I did this a lot when I was into Calvinism about a decade ago, trying to convince everybody how right this system of thinking was. I realized years later after I was very disillusioned and burned-out that all of that arguing had very little to do with God and a whole lot to do with my ego. So I have to be careful in how I approach people.

Before we share Christ we have to have peace, and as my peace increases, so does my outward expression of my Orthodox faith. I presume to lecture no one, but only to share the life and peace inside of me. But in order to have something to share, there must be some measure of acquisition. If I am not peaceful, then how can I share peace? If I am not divine, then how can I share Divinity?

It is not enough to argue and lecture, but I agree that Orthodox Christians must be more vocal. We must evangelize.
Amen!

In Christ,
Andrew
"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos

Offline Clancy Boy

« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2011, 03:54:49 AM »

Any ideas
?

Fr. Seraphim Rose said that it shouldn't be necessary to proselytize.  That the Christian faithful should convert by example.

Mormonism is a business.  Their image is carefully managed, and every member has been trained like a salesperson to respond to a specific set of common questions that Protestants often have.  That's why they're always johnny-on-the-spot with an answer.

Mormonism has extremely limited success converting Catholics because the message isn't tailored to them.  For example, one of the leading questions Mormons are taught to ask is "by whose authority does your church teach?"  
Protestant answer: gee, I dunno!  :o
Catholic/Orthodox answer: the apostles, dummy  ::)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 04:10:46 AM by Clancy Boy »

Offline Clancy Boy

« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2011, 04:03:16 AM »
A friend that I knew a number of years ago had converted to Mormonism.  I remember her proudly mentioning that their clergy did not take a salary.  That is very deceptive with regards to the top leadership of the LDS Church.

It's more accurate to say they don't pay their employees.

About 8 years ago the Mormon church decided to let all their custodians and groundskeepers go and make the members do their jobs instead.  They call it an "opportunity for service."

And yes, several million American Mormons bought that.

Offline Clancy Boy

« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2011, 04:09:50 AM »

We must be more Christian.

I think it's ironic that the overwhelming majority of Christians are shy about crossing themselves in public or blessing food at a restaurant yet think they need to go to some other extraordinary measure to advertise themselves.

If we want to get noticed we should probably spend less time trying to blend in.  Maybe?

Offline peteprint

• High Elder
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2011, 04:17:35 AM »

About 8 years ago the Mormon church decided to let all their custodians and groundskeepers go and make the members do their jobs instead.  They call it an "opportunity for service."

They also pressure their members to tithe.  My friend was proud of her "temple recommend" card, without which she could not enter the temple for temple ceremonies.  The Bishop has to sign it, and won't, unless the member is paid-up.

Offline Clancy Boy

« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2011, 05:12:14 AM »

They also pressure their members to tithe.  My friend was proud of her "temple recommend" card, without which she could not enter the temple for temple ceremonies.  The Bishop has to sign it, and won't, unless the member is paid-up.

That's a relatively new thing.  In the past they just threatened members with fire.  I remember in the 80s Mormons would jokingly refer to tithing as "fire insurance" because it was linked specifically with not being burned alive at the second coming.  I guess that didn't work quite well enough though.

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2011, 05:55:01 PM »

We must be more Christian.

I think it's ironic that the overwhelming majority of Christians are shy about crossing themselves in public or blessing food at a restaurant yet think they need to go to some other extraordinary measure to advertise themselves.

If we want to get noticed we should probably spend less time trying to blend in.  Maybe?

LOL *thumbs up*

I'm going to need this.

Offline ATX

« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2011, 03:52:46 PM »
I posted to this thread a while back.  I'm a former-Mormon convert to Orthodoxy.  I am currently a catechumen hoping for chrismation very soon, God willing.  The process is temporarily on hold though, as I'm moving from Texas to Germany for a federal job I have been offered with the Department of Defense.  I'm already in touch with an army chaplain who is an Orthodox priest and he will help to get me established over there so I can continue my journey into Orthodoxy.  It has been a fantastic journey, thus far.  I am so blessed to have finally found the true faith after many years of searching. 

Yours in Christ,
Andrew

Offline dcommini

• OC.net guru
  • Beannachd Dia dhuit
« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2011, 04:14:39 PM »
Would that chaplain be Fr. George by chance? I ask because a chaplain from Germany was at my parish a few weeks ago. I can not remember his last name though...
OblSB

Check out my blog...

Offline peteprint

• High Elder
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2011, 04:17:05 PM »
That's wonderful Andrew, good luck with your new position!

Offline ATX

« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2011, 04:28:53 PM »
Would that chaplain be Fr. George by chance? I ask because a chaplain from Germany was at my parish a few weeks ago. I can not remember his last name though...

The chaplain is Fr. Peter Baktis in Heidelberg, where I will be living and working.  He told me about two other Orthodox chaplains: Fr. Hill in Stuttgart and Fr. Lahue in Ramstein.   I plan to attend Divine Liturgy somewhere off-base as well, but services will be in Greek, Russian or German.  It will be interesting!  I know it is all one Liturgy, but one day I hope to speak German so I don't mangle the prayers when I pray them.

Yours in Christ,
Andrew

Offline dcommini

• OC.net guru
  • Beannachd Dia dhuit
« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2011, 04:47:42 PM »
Interesting, I wish you all the best! Good luck!
OblSB

Check out my blog...