OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 06:15:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Certificate  (Read 660 times) Average Rating: 0
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« on: July 11, 2012, 10:46:10 PM »

I was Christmated into the Orthodox Church at Pascha of last year.  As my current career comes to a close, I have inquired into attending one of our universities here in the USA.  Each school requires a certificate of Christmation, but I never received a certificate.  Is it normal practice to get one or is it something special for the universities?
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 11:24:38 PM »

In my jurisdiction at least, baptismal certificates are kept at the church in which one was baptized, and a second copy at the diocesan headquarters. Certified copies can be issued for certain reasons, such as prior to marriage.

My advice would be for you to request a copy of your certificate from the priest who chrismated you.
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:50:28 PM »

I was Christmated into the Orthodox Church at Pascha of last year.  As my current career comes to a close, I have inquired into attending one of our universities here in the USA.  Each school requires a certificate of Christmation, but I never received a certificate.  Is it normal practice to get one or is it something special for the universities?

I don't understand why a university would need your Chrismation certificate.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 07:57:41 AM »

You goin to St. Vladimir's or somethin?

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 01:53:41 PM »

PP

There or St. Tikons.  They are two of the three I know which provide a Masters program.  Are there others? 
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »

I guess it is to ensure I am actually Orthodox.  I can't think of any other reason.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 03:44:43 PM »

I guess it is to ensure I am actually Orthodox.  I can't think of any other reason.

Certificates are/were normal in some times and places, but if you don't have one, I'm sure something could be worked out between the school and your bishop.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 04:20:10 PM »

It's my parish's custom to give certificates, but I didn't get mine for a year after I was received! Some parishes don't issue them anymore, but of course still they still maintain a metrical book. Just inquire to your priest, I'm sure they can provide you with an appropriate certificate.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 06:43:40 PM »

Thanks, everyone! Grin
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 07:16:49 PM »

We were sent certificates from the Antiochian diocese for everyone in our family. You should have needed to fill out paperwork around your baptism/chrismation that would have been sent in for the document. If you didn't fill out some paperwork to go with your baptism/chrismation it is possible that it was never produced.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »

We were sent certificates from the Antiochian diocese for everyone in our family. You should have needed to fill out paperwork around your baptism/chrismation that would have been sent in for the document. If you didn't fill out some paperwork to go with your baptism/chrismation it is possible that it was never produced.

That makes a lot of sense.  I never filled out any paperwork.  I guess I will wait until the time comes and then do whatever the school asks.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 08:17:59 AM »

PP

There or St. Tikons.  They are two of the three I know which provide a Masters program.  Are there others? 

Holy Cross does as well: MTS, MDiv, and ThM.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: