OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 25, 2014, 11:03:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did several monks just leave St. John's Monastery in Manton for Platina?  (Read 6618 times) Average Rating: 0
brittrossiter

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

jasonrossiter
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:10:49 PM »

I ran across a comment on the Monomakhos blog this morning that has troubled me greatly.  Since I had not heard anything about this anywhere, I wanted to ask the folks here at OC.net if they had heard anything.  A person saying he is Fr. Martin Gardner, formerly of St. John's Monastery in Manton, California, added a comment yesterday to a (lengthy) discussion in a post on Monomakhos.  The original post, and most of the earlier comments, concerned the recent kerfuffle regarding Metropolitan Jonah.  However, the post from Fr. Martin, if it's truly him, related to a different issue entirely.  Apparently Fr. Martin has left Manton, along with some other monks, and is levying some fairly serious accusations against Fr. Meletios Webber.  Here's an excerpt from Fr. Martin's comment (the link to the whole comment - as well as the other comments in the string - is below):

One should not bring an accusation against a priest without 2 or 3 witness. There are three of us who are now in Platina who can verify every word I have just written. In fact, as soon as we had the freedom in Platina to talk to each other, there seemed to be no end to the horrifying revelations of what Fr. Mel has said and done. May the Lord have mercy on him and on us all who have suffered. Pray especially for the 9 left behind. My heart grieves for a dream that has died.

I never ever ever thought that I would ever leave the place of my repentance. But I asked for his release after dialog had deteriorated into lies and denials. Contrary to what he has told the brothers, .he gave me his release. There were two witnesses: another monk and a person from outside the community.

Has anyone heard anything at all about any of this?  From some other comments in the thread, this appears to be genuinely Fr. Martin speaking, but I can't tell for certain.  I had been planning a trip to Manton, so needless to say this disturbs me greatly.  I don't want to cancel a trip based on rumor and innuendo, but I also don't want to walk into a hornets' nest, either. 

I don't post here too often, though I'm a frequent visitor - please forgive me if I've asked my question in the wrong place or transgressed any forum rules regarding links outside OC.net. 

Link to the full comment: http://www.monomakhos.com/ineptocracy/#comment-25811
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »

How reliable a witness is monomakhos? I'm not familiar with the web site, but from what little I've heard mentioned of it here at OC.net, it sounds like nothing more than a vicious rumor mill to me. If that is the case, then I wouldn't pay any attention to anything said there.
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 01:43:50 PM »

I have had little contact with the OCA.  I did however, contact St. John's once or twice.  Just the other day I received an email from a Fr. Martin unexpectedly.  The email does purportedly seem to imply what is mentioned above.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:46:47 PM »

I have had little contact with the OCA.  I did however, contact St. John's once or twice.  Just the other day I received an email from a Fr. Martin unexpectedly.  The email does purportedly seem to imply what is mentioned above.
Do be aware, though, that if his charges are not true, he may face some very serious canonical penalties for libel/slander. That's one reason why I wouldn't want to participate in any of this rumor mongering, if that's all it is.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 02:06:35 PM »

Well, this almost sounds too incredible to believe.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Orest
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 02:12:25 PM »

Various people on different internet Orthodox disussion groups have reported receiving the same e-mail directly from Fr. John Martin.
I suggest we just wait for more information and see what happenes before engaging in speculation in this group.
Paisius
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 08:57:19 PM »

Various people on different internet Orthodox disussion groups have reported receiving the same e-mail directly from Fr. John Martin.
I suggest we just wait for more information and see what happenes before engaging in speculation in this group.

Why on earth, if it is true, would he go on emailing multiple people about it? Sounds awfully suspicious to me.
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 10:39:28 PM »

Could someone have hacked into his email to stir trouble?
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 10:55:46 PM »

I hope that y'all do not mind a brief respite on this thread. I agree that these are serious allegations and also  that a monastic would not broadcast them as it has been done. So, I am locking this up for the time being lest we unwittingly become complicit in a malicious slander effort. I will unlock this thread once we have credible information one way or the other. Thanks, Second Chance

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 03:51:24 PM »

This thread will remain locked until such time as corroborating evidence is obtained. Thanks, Carl Kraeff

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags: Monastery 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: