Author Topic: Anybody here follow competitive Pokemon battling?  (Read 1975 times)

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
  • No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...
Re: Anybody here follow competitive Pokemon battling?
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2012, 10:00:55 PM »
I mean this in all seriousness: Between this and the "bronies" thing, can someone explain to me when being a hip, cool guy or whatever you'd call it became all about liking things that 5-8 year olds like, despite being an adult man in your 20s (later? earlier?)? I absolutely don't get it. I don't even get it enough to judge it. It's just incomprehensible.

Jeremy, do you have a sensible hair-cut?

This world is too grey. I am surprised anyone prefers reading about the rise and fall of stocks to pitting Squirtle against Charmander, frankly. That is the real mystery.
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Torn apaaaht
  • Faith: Semi-Evangelical
  • Jurisdiction: Might become Orthodox
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2012, 10:05:52 PM »
E-Lo vs. Txrlegend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4rHWTz__uw

Another awesomely close battle. Chandelure is a force of nature...
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman

Offline dzheremi

• No longer posting here.
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2012, 10:14:18 PM »

Yes. It's hot where I live, so long hair is like wearing a feverish cat on your head at all times.

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2012, 10:15:29 PM »

Yes. It's hot where I live, so long hair is like wearing a feverish cat on your head at all times.

Another reason I detest my ancient enemy: the sun.

Thank you for the amusing image!
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Torn apaaaht
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2012, 10:19:30 PM »
Kristen Stewart is looking for you.
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2012, 10:48:59 PM »

I think she's a bit alright, personally.

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Torn apaaaht
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2012, 10:06:21 AM »

I think she's a bit alright, personally.
I don't think we can be friends anymore. jk. :p

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Torn apaaaht
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2012, 10:07:18 AM »
Ferriswheel32 vs. Superblah 411 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb6-yM7seh0

How do you guys like Ferris' commentary? I think he's pretty enjoyable.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian+Greek
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2012, 01:07:35 PM »
I mean this in all seriousness: Between this and the "bronies" thing, can someone explain to me when being a hip, cool guy or whatever you'd call it became all about liking things that 5-8 year olds like, despite being an adult man in your 20s (later? earlier?)? I absolutely don't get it. I don't even get it enough to judge it. It's just incomprehensible.

Dzheremi,

Being interested in childish things has always been the honest purview of the nerd, the accidental oddball, and the geek.

However, with the advent of "Indie" crowds, it became cool to awkwardly dredge up even the most childish nostalgia in the name of "spontaneity" or romance; perhaps in an attempt to re-create some of the emotional pleasures of childhood to compensate for the drifting malaise of their adult lives (or just to impress chicks who feed off of that stuff).

When the latest wave of 21st century hipsterdom emerged, it swallowed up the Indie crowd and with it, the awkward dredging was assimilated.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:10:49 PM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

Πλούσιοι επτώχευσαν και επείνασαν
Οιδε εκζητούντες τον Κύριον
Ουκ ελαττωθήσονται παντός αγαθού

Offline dzheremi

• No longer posting here.
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2012, 01:14:24 PM »
Hmm. Alright. Just curious. It would appear I'm not too much older than some of you (I'll be 30 in ~2 months), but I must've missed this development. But I also don't like/know indie music, so if it's something that happened specifically to those people then I guess it makes sense I don't get it. Have fun attracting self-consciously 'quirky' girls, I guess. :D

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Torn apaaaht
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2012, 01:17:26 PM »

Dzheremi,

Being interested in childish things has always been the honest purview of the nerd, the accidental oddball, and the geek.

However, with the advent of "Indie" crowds, it became cool to awkwardly dredge up even the most childish nostalgia in the name of "spontaneity" or romance; perhaps in an attempt to re-create some of the emotional pleasures of childhood to compensate for the drifting malaise of their adult lives (or just to impress chicks who feed off of that stuff).

When the latest wave of 21st century hipsterdom emerged, it swallowed up the Indie crowd and with it, the awkward dredging was assimilated.
That's probably the best explanation, yep.

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Torn apaaaht
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2012, 01:19:20 PM »
Hmm. Alright. Just curious. It would appear I'm not too much older than some of you (I'll be 30 in ~2 months), but I must've missed this development. But I also don't like/know indie music, so if it's something that happened specifically to those people then I guess it makes sense I don't get it. Have fun attracting self-consciously 'quirky' girls, I guess. :D
Thanks! Hopefully not too self-conscious (unless she's Zoey Deschanel), but I'm workin on it!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:19:42 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2012, 01:33:58 PM »

Dzheremi,

That I fear is a somewhat accurate however benign analysis. The more precise critique is more terrible.

I would suggest Wes Anderson's horrifying film Moonrise Kingdom as the distillation par excellence of the move toward "sincerity" as the critical text of this cultural tendency, which is not just limited to hipsterism and its bastard offspring like bronies.

Jeremy, in short, you should fear Starlight Sparkle more than any Islamist.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Torn apaaaht
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2012, 01:55:47 PM »

Dzheremi,

That I fear is a somewhat accurate however benign analysis. The more precise critique is more terrible.

I would suggest Wes Anderson's horrifying film Moonrise Kingdom as the distillation par excellence of the move toward "sincerity" as the critical text of this cultural tendency, which is not just limited to hipsterism and its bastard offspring like bronies.

Oh, so only the self-conciously quirky hipster fair that you like is ok. Got it. ::)

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2012, 01:57:31 PM »

Dzheremi,

Oh, so only the self-conciously quirky hipster fair that you like is ok. Got it. ::)

Actually you don't.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline christian7777

• Elder
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2012, 08:53:46 PM »
I thought a Pokey Mon was a Jamaican proctologist.  :P ;)

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2014, 04:56:13 PM »
Not competitive but still:

my recent Leaf Green postgame team:

my recent Crystal postgame team:

(Psyduck being available early in the grass is so awesome)

my current Emerald pre-Steven team:

(Linoone being a slave)

After beating Steven I'd like to start a Platinum run with a team more-less consisting of:
Torterra
Staraptor
Luxray
Golduck / Floatzel
Houndoom
Gallade

If anyone wants to have a match I am sometimes at Smogon simulator random battles.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 04:57:19 PM by mike »

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Torn apaaaht
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2014, 07:15:44 PM »
Wow. This thread is a blast from the past! I actually just ordered Omega Ruby.

Yeah, I might take you up on that one of these days.

Online TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2014, 11:13:59 PM »
Wow. This thread is a blast from the past! I actually just ordered Omega Ruby.

Yeah, I might take you up on that one of these days.

I want Omega Ruby sooo bad, i just dont have a 3DS

I <3 Hoenn, it is my Pokemon home and where(in the pokemon world) I am from

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Torn apaaaht
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2014, 12:01:20 AM »
Well, you could get a 2DS. They're a lot cheaper/

Ummmm...that's a little too fanficcy for my tastes.  :laugh: :P

Online TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2014, 12:57:54 AM »

hey, only natural to have an attachment to a certain region within a game, especially one like pokemon

and honestly? I'd rather save for the 3DS than the(my opinion) cheap plasticy 2DS

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Torn apaaaht
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2014, 02:12:41 AM »

hey, only natural to have an attachment to a certain region within a game, especially one like pokemon

and honestly? I'd rather save for the 3DS than the(my opinion) cheap plasticy 2DS
Yeah, that's true- both of your points.

Offline Porter ODoran

• "Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).
  • Protokentarchos
    • Facebook page
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2014, 02:36:32 AM »
Why is it every time I chance across this thread I read the title as "Anybody here follow competitive Pokemon bathing?"
One hides amid pornography, angry music, television that shows the worst of mankind, misanthropic politics, an internet populace led by all the passions: and then one asks, "Where is God?"

This member is no longer active.

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Torn apaaaht
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2014, 02:49:26 AM »
Why is it every time I chance across this thread I read the title as "Anybody here follow competitive Pokemon bathing?"
LOL

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2014, 04:57:08 AM »

Out of the 4 I've played I find it the worst. It was easy to navigate, it had Pokemons of various types quite early in the game (unlike Kanto or Johto that had good water types in the 2nd half of the game or Sinnoh that had no fire types at all), it had very good Pokemon designs mostly and some of them very good tacticallywise but something lacked.

And too much water.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 05:16:54 AM by mike »

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2015, 10:34:10 AM »
my recent Leaf Green postgame team:

my recent Crystal postgame team:

(Psyduck being available early in the grass is so awesome)

my current Emerald pre-Steven team:

(Linoone being a slave)

After beating Steven I'd like to start a Platinum run with a team more-less consisting of:
Torterra
Staraptor
Luxray
Golduck / Floatzel
Houndoom
Gallade

If anyone wants to have a match I am sometimes at Smogon simulator random battles.

beaten Steven (with Mons at 56), finished Platinum with (that was my first complete Gen IV run):

currently going with White. Preferable team:

Emboar
Unfezant
Excadrill
Zebstrika
Simipour
Reuniclus
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:36:41 AM by mike »