OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 08:44:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody here follow competitive Pokemon battling?  (Read 1393 times) Average Rating: 0
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2012, 10:00:55 PM »

I mean this in all seriousness: Between this and the "bronies" thing, can someone explain to me when being a hip, cool guy or whatever you'd call it became all about liking things that 5-8 year olds like, despite being an adult man in your 20s (later? earlier?)? I absolutely don't get it. I don't even get it enough to judge it. It's just incomprehensible.

Jeremy, do you have a sensible hair-cut?

This world is too grey. I am surprised anyone prefers reading about the rise and fall of stocks to pitting Squirtle against Charmander, frankly. That is the real mystery.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2012, 10:05:52 PM »

E-Lo vs. Txrlegend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4rHWTz__uw

Another awesomely close battle. Chandelure is a force of nature...
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2012, 10:14:18 PM »

Yes. It's hot where I live, so long hair is like wearing a feverish cat on your head at all times.

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2012, 10:15:29 PM »

Yes. It's hot where I live, so long hair is like wearing a feverish cat on your head at all times.

Another reason I detest my ancient enemy: the sun.

Thank you for the amusing image!

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2012, 10:19:30 PM »

Kristen Stewart is looking for you.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2012, 10:48:59 PM »

I think she's a bit alright, personally.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2012, 10:06:21 AM »

I think she's a bit alright, personally.
I don't think we can be friends anymore. jk. :p
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2012, 10:07:18 AM »

Ferriswheel32 vs. Superblah 411 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb6-yM7seh0

How do you guys like Ferris' commentary? I think he's pretty enjoyable.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2012, 01:07:35 PM »

I mean this in all seriousness: Between this and the "bronies" thing, can someone explain to me when being a hip, cool guy or whatever you'd call it became all about liking things that 5-8 year olds like, despite being an adult man in your 20s (later? earlier?)? I absolutely don't get it. I don't even get it enough to judge it. It's just incomprehensible.

Dzheremi,

Being interested in childish things has always been the honest purview of the nerd, the accidental oddball, and the geek.

However, with the advent of "Indie" crowds, it became cool to awkwardly dredge up even the most childish nostalgia in the name of "spontaneity" or romance; perhaps in an attempt to re-create some of the emotional pleasures of childhood to compensate for the drifting malaise of their adult lives (or just to impress chicks who feed off of that stuff).

When the latest wave of 21st century hipsterdom emerged, it swallowed up the Indie crowd and with it, the awkward dredging was assimilated.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:10:49 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2012, 01:14:24 PM »

Hmm. Alright. Just curious. It would appear I'm not too much older than some of you (I'll be 30 in ~2 months), but I must've missed this development. But I also don't like/know indie music, so if it's something that happened specifically to those people then I guess it makes sense I don't get it. Have fun attracting self-consciously 'quirky' girls, I guess. Cheesy

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2012, 01:17:26 PM »

Dzheremi,

Being interested in childish things has always been the honest purview of the nerd, the accidental oddball, and the geek.

However, with the advent of "Indie" crowds, it became cool to awkwardly dredge up even the most childish nostalgia in the name of "spontaneity" or romance; perhaps in an attempt to re-create some of the emotional pleasures of childhood to compensate for the drifting malaise of their adult lives (or just to impress chicks who feed off of that stuff).

When the latest wave of 21st century hipsterdom emerged, it swallowed up the Indie crowd and with it, the awkward dredging was assimilated.
That's probably the best explanation, yep.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2012, 01:19:20 PM »

Hmm. Alright. Just curious. It would appear I'm not too much older than some of you (I'll be 30 in ~2 months), but I must've missed this development. But I also don't like/know indie music, so if it's something that happened specifically to those people then I guess it makes sense I don't get it. Have fun attracting self-consciously 'quirky' girls, I guess. Cheesy
Thanks! Hopefully not too self-conscious (unless she's Zoey Deschanel), but I'm workin on it!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:19:42 PM by Volnutt » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2012, 01:29:21 PM »

Oh I love this.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2012, 01:33:58 PM »

Dzheremi,

That I fear is a somewhat accurate however benign analysis. The more precise critique is more terrible.

I would suggest Wes Anderson's horrifying film Moonrise Kingdom as the distillation par excellence of the move toward "sincerity" as the critical text of this cultural tendency, which is not just limited to hipsterism and its bastard offspring like bronies.

Jeremy, in short, you should fear Starlight Sparkle more than any Islamist.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2012, 01:55:47 PM »

Dzheremi,

That I fear is a somewhat accurate however benign analysis. The more precise critique is more terrible.

I would suggest Wes Anderson's horrifying film Moonrise Kingdom as the distillation par excellence of the move toward "sincerity" as the critical text of this cultural tendency, which is not just limited to hipsterism and its bastard offspring like bronies.

Oh, so only the self-conciously quirky hipster fair that you like is ok. Got it. Roll Eyes
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2012, 01:57:31 PM »

Dzheremi,

Oh, so only the self-conciously quirky hipster fair that you like is ok. Got it. Roll Eyes

Actually you don't.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
christian7777
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2012, 08:53:46 PM »

I thought a Pokey Mon was a Jamaican proctologist.  Tongue Wink

Tags: No this is Sparta Pokemon  video games This is Confusion! 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: