OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 05:15:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it time for the OCA to stand up to the Synod? Or for MP to rescind the tomos?  (Read 3420 times) Average Rating: 0
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2012, 02:57:49 PM »

In his letter of resignation, Met. Jonah asks for an ecclesiastical position whereby he can support his parents and sister. Will they honor that request? I doubt it. He might not ever serve as a diocesan bishop again as the decision against him by the Synod was unanimous. Sounds like he is in a similar position as was St. Nectarios.
Certainly if he speaks out, Met. Jonah may not get such a position. Silence seems to be the only option for him.
Blackmail anyone?
I think that he'll get another episcopacy.
Am I correct in thinking that the diocese of the South has been under a locum tenens  bishop since +JONAH was elevated to metropolitan?

Because that's an episcopal chair that's been waiting to be filled for a while.

Close but not exactly.
Archbishop Dmitri was still in place as bishop of the South when his newly installed auxiliary was elected Metropolitan. He held on for a little while longer but his health was in rapid decline and so he retired (and then reposed) in fairly short order afterwards, and we've been without a bishop since.

I don't know anything about the divide between Metropolitan Jonah and the Synod, but I get the impression the diocese of the South would be happy to get the man Vladika Dmitri had chosen as his successor back.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2012, 04:54:52 PM »

In his letter of resignation, Met. Jonah asks for an ecclesiastical position whereby he can support his parents and sister. Will they honor that request? I doubt it. He might not ever serve as a diocesan bishop again as the decision against him by the Synod was unanimous. Sounds like he is in a similar position as was St. Nectarios.
Certainly if he speaks out, Met. Jonah may not get such a position. Silence seems to be the only option for him.
Blackmail anyone?
Am I correct in thinking that the diocese of the South has been under a locum tenens  bishop since +JONAH was elevated to metropolitan?

Close but not exactly.
Archbishop Dmitri was still in place as bishop of the South when his newly installed auxiliary was elected Metropolitan. He held on for a little while longer but his health was in rapid decline and so he retired (and then reposed) in fairly short order afterwards, and we've been without a bishop since.

I don't know anything about the divide between Metropolitan Jonah and the Synod, but I get the impression the diocese of the South would be happy to get the man Vladika Dmitri had chosen as his successor back.

I do think that it would be much better to give his Beatitude back to the Diocese of the South. We shouldn't allow any diocese to go without a bishop for a significant period of time.

This happened in the diocese of the Midwest and thugs began running rampant and they also began trying to innovate with their parishes. Archbishop Job of blessed memory had to deal with those thugs and the wild parishes and I'm certain that the stress is one of the reasons (besides him not going to the hospital like he was advised to) he died earlier than he should have. Now our new archbishop has to deal with the same thing and continue Job's cleanup. A lot of this was due to the incompetence (or corruption?) of the Metropolitans Theodosius and Herman, as well as the general corruption of the Holy Synod at the time. It was their fault we went 5 years without a Bishop.

I really hope the Diocese of the South gets a Bishop soon (hopefully his holiness Jonah) so they don't have to face the same problems that we had to deal with in the Midwest.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2012, 05:23:53 PM »

And if Jonah's frank and orthodox words on contemporary issues have insulted sponsors/donors to the OCA and it's institutions, then screw them, we don't need their money anyway. They should donate because they genuinely love God and want to help his Church not because they want recognition or they want issues like our anti-homosexuality stance to be muted.

If someone donates to receive a plaque or to quiet certain things, they are condemning themselves and their money should be rejected.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2012, 05:46:20 PM »

Blackmail anyone?

Close but not exactly.

I do think that it would be much better to give his Beatitude back to the Diocese of the South. We shouldn't allow any diocese to go without a bishop for a significant period of time.

This happened in the diocese of the Midwest and thugs began running rampant and they also began trying to innovate with their parishes. Archbishop Job of blessed memory had to deal with those thugs and the wild parishes and I'm certain that the stress is one of the reasons (besides him not going to the hospital like he was advised to) he died earlier than he should have. Now our new archbishop has to deal with the same thing and continue Job's cleanup. A lot of this was due to the incompetence (or corruption?) of the Metropolitans Theodosius and Herman, as well as the general corruption of the Holy Synod at the time. It was their fault we went 5 years without a Bishop.

I really hope the Diocese of the South gets a Bishop soon (hopefully his holiness Jonah) so they don't have to face the same problems that we had to deal with in the Midwest.

Abp. Job died in December 2009. Bp. Matthias was consecrated in May 2011. Are you using some sort of special architectural math to conclude that the Midwest Diocese went without a bishop for 5 years?

I agree about the thugs and wild parishes, though. The drive-by shootings were unnerving.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2012, 06:03:46 PM »

I belong to the OCA and what is this?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2012, 06:11:23 PM »

If you are referring to my comment immediately above, I was kidding. Otherwise, you'll have to be more specific.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2012, 06:14:41 PM »

If you are referring to my comment immediately above, I was kidding. Otherwise, you'll have to be more specific.

He is doing a play on a meme that was floating around in which someone said on a youtube video "I am 12 and what is this?" Sometimes it's used for trolling, but in this case it probably is just meant to express confusion or something along those lines.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:15:33 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2012, 06:15:16 PM »

Blackmail anyone?

Close but not exactly.

Abp. Job died in December 2009. Bp. Matthias was consecrated in May 2011. Are you using some sort of special architectural math to conclude that the Midwest Diocese went without a bishop for 5 years?

I agree about the thugs and wild parishes, though. The drive-by shootings were unnerving.
The diocese remained widowed for 5 years between Bp. Boris' retirement and Abp. Job of blessed memory. It was a problem.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2012, 06:28:05 PM »

Blackmail anyone?

Close but not exactly.

The diocese remained widowed for 5 years between Bp. Boris' retirement and Abp. Job of blessed memory. It was a problem.

Thanks for the clarification. I was confused because that gap occurred well before Devin's time and because Devin mentioned Abp. Job by name and implied Bp. Matthias.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2012, 06:30:12 PM »

He is doing a play on a meme that was floating around in which someone said on a youtube video "I am 12 and what is this?" Sometimes it's used for trolling, but in this case it probably is just meant to express confusion or something along those lines.

I am older than 12, and I seldom visit YouTube. I also use words like "seldom."
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2012, 06:34:51 PM »

since saints have been invoked, we might remember that Pope St. Athanasius was driven from his see five times, St. John Chrysostom deposed twice, St. Meletius of Antioch deprived of his see for decades, etc.  This might not be the end of Met. Jonah (although the fact that St. John died in exile can be sobering).  We shall have to see what happens, pray, and act as called.

Lord have mercy!

Now that you mention it, St Nektarios also comes to mind.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2012, 06:48:53 PM »

When did worshipping God become so complicated?   Sad

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2012, 06:49:02 PM »

I am older than 12, and I seldom visit YouTube. I also use words like "seldom."

Good on you!

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2012, 07:08:32 PM »

The book of Exodus.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2012, 07:58:22 PM »

The book of Exodus.

It wasn't THIS complicated

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2012, 08:10:50 PM »

The book of Exodus.

True. It was only later that kings were offering sacrifices and appointing high priests, and those not even of the line of Aaron...

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2012, 08:15:58 PM »

Moscow doesn't care about the OCA since they have the ROCOR.

Not correct. They also have an MP diocese in France, and they still care about Rue Daru.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2012, 08:17:29 PM »

Moscow doesn't care about the OCA since they have the ROCOR.

Not correct. They also have an MP diocese in France, and they still care about Rue Daru.

As current Korsun Bishop is a Rue Daru priest?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2012, 08:32:54 PM »

The book of Exodus.

I know, when there was a dispute, God opened the earth and it swallowed the ones who were in the wrong.

But honestly, this isn't really a matter of doctrine or even liturgical practice. I'm not saying that the misconduct of clergy or lack of cohesion is ever a good thing, only that when it comes to worshipping God, nothing has changed in the OCA, with the exception  of the commemoration of an interim primate on the dyptichs.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2012, 08:55:31 PM »

Do you presume to know what happened inside the Synod's decision to ask Metropolitan Jonah to resign? If not, don't you think you might be engaging in some premature judgment, possibly even gossip? I have a feeling that the details regarding His Beatitude's resignation will come out over the next few days. Can we not at least wait until then to pass judgment?
Thanks Fr. Peter.  I am not a member of the OCA but I am sick of all the speculation of events and politicking for Metr. Jonah from the former HOOM crowd.
Let's just wait & see.
Correction: I'm not a priest.

Your title, PtA,

"The Right Reverend Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart"

might have caused confusion.

Maybe you could substitute: "The Righteous Humble" for "The Right Reverend."
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 08:55:59 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2012, 08:57:20 PM »

Blackmail anyone?

Close but not exactly.

That would be a blessing, but I would not hold my breath.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2012, 09:04:26 PM »

Blackmail anyone?

Close but not exactly.

Did not Bishop Boris die a few years ago (sometime around the turn of the century)?
I remember his coming to our parish a few times after his retirement to visit his family.
He was a godly man.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2012, 01:15:54 AM »

Do you presume to know what happened inside the Synod's decision to ask Metropolitan Jonah to resign? If not, don't you think you might be engaging in some premature judgment, possibly even gossip? I have a feeling that the details regarding His Beatitude's resignation will come out over the next few days. Can we not at least wait until then to pass judgment?
Thanks Fr. Peter.  I am not a member of the OCA but I am sick of all the speculation of events and politicking for Metr. Jonah from the former HOOM crowd.
Let's just wait & see.
Correction: I'm not a priest.

Your title, PtA,

"The Right Reverend Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart"

might have caused confusion.

Maybe you could substitute: "The Righteous Humble" for "The Right Reverend."
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2012, 10:38:23 AM »

Lord, have mercy.  I hope it all works out for the best.  

This is my sentiments as well.  

Praying for the OCA and Bishops.  

I agree. Frankly, all of the 'looking for a conspiracy' etc... seems misplaced. In the end, it seems that electing a man without pastoral or administrative experience and putting him into the hot seat was too much for the Metropolitan and for the OCA. His own words in his letter of resignation mitigate towards that self-awareness. I wish him well in the years to come and I am sure the OCA will endure - after all it survived over the past century rising out of the struggles with Roman Catholic bigotry which drove thousands of Greek Catholics into Orthodoxy, enduring the pain of the loss of Russian patronage following the Revolution, the multiple schisms of the mid-century in America which occurred during the Communist period in Russia, the McCarthy era when all of us were 'suspects' and the latter third of the century, the Church prevailed - as promised by Lord Himself - the gates of Hell shall not prevail.

Take a deep breath and pray.

(Just my observation ,but returning him to the Diocese of the South may be problematic as both the entire OCA and the Metropolitan need time to reflect and heal themselves. We shall see, but I wouldn't get my hopes up down there.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:40:26 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2012, 11:31:40 AM »

If the Synod takes issue with his words about stepping down and abandoning autocephaly for jurisdictional unity then they can simply shut up and shove it.

The respect I have for the EP also doesn't mean I'm not happy when a canonical bishop openly calls him out on matters where he should be. If the Synod didn't like that they can also shut up and shove it.

If they didn't like the fact that he openly confronted and opposed immorality in our society like abortion and gay marriage then our bishops can shove it.

If they didn't like how he was speaking with conservative Anglicans with the hope of leading them to the churh then the synod can shove it...

Bishop Jonah was under a lot of stress and I will be willing to say that a lot of that is the fault of the Synod.

If any bishop in the synod took issue with his beatitude for any of the above, then that/those bishop(s) can simply take their staffs and shove them far up where the sun don't shine.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2012, 11:38:57 AM »

If the Synod takes issue with his words about stepping down and abandoning autocephaly for jurisdictional unity then they can simply shut up and shove it.

The respect I have for the EP also doesn't mean I'm not happy when a canonical bishop openly calls him out on matters where he should be. If the Synod didn't like that they can also shut up and shove it.

If they didn't like the fact that he openly confronted and opposed immorality in our society like abortion and gay marriage then our bishops can shove it.

If they didn't like how he was speaking with conservative Anglicans with the hope of leading them to the churh then the synod can shove it...

Bishop Jonah was under a lot of stress and I will be willing to say that a lot of that is the fault of the Synod.

If any bishop in the synod took issue with his beatitude for any of the above, then that/those bishop(s) can simply take their staffs and shove them far up where the sun don't shine.
You're not fired up about this, are ya? Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2012, 11:48:39 AM »

You're not fired up about this, are ya? Smiley

PP

When all that crap started last year I was in Greece and already in sort of a revolutionary spirit and got fired up about it. It's just been waiting to come out again once our bishops decide to screw up...

I'm sick of putting up with crap like this and I think we need to send our Bishops the message that we aren't the Roman Church and we so we have the ability to force them out of their positions and remind them that although they are our hierarchs, they are also meant to be in service to us, the chief servant among us even while they have the most authority. So if they want to continue the status quo of disgraceful men like Robert Kondratick and former Metropolitans Theodosius and Herman, then they are going to have to put up with a fight.

And if they still don't listen then we have the right to stop giving them money and to even leave for another jurisdiction.

I have faith Bishop Matthias will continue the fight Archbishop Job was fighting, but if not, then for some of us, Bishop Basil of the Antiochian Church is always a decent option.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2012, 11:59:19 AM »

How do you 'know' all of this to be the truth regarding your beliefs about the 'fault of the Synod'? A large majority of the current Synod consists of Bishops who were not a part of the prior mess and if my memory is correct three of the most recent Bishops were not even part of the OCA for their entire priestly careers prior to ascending the status of Bishop. The issue of somehow these men not being firmly opposed to the immorality and decadence of our society is a red herring and to perpetuate it as being the 'truth' is a calumny against them. Archbishop Job of thrice blessed memory allowed one of the persons in question to serve as your Diocesan representative - it was Bishop Matthias who removed him. That being said, I would never accuse the Archbishop of being part of some left-wing 'liberal' fifth column. That is absurd.

Only in Hollywood does the story of the young man speaking truth to power and being acclaimed to the throne always seem to end with a happy note. Generally speaking such ascendancy in the real world ends like that of the Metropolitan - with a sense of sadness and melancholy over what could or should have been.

Choosing leaders who are not vetted over time, often produces ones who are neither mature in temperment nor tested in the ways of being a leader (such as pastoral experience). Such cases usually do not end well.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2012, 12:15:08 PM »

How do you 'know' all of this to be the truth regarding your beliefs about the 'fault of the Synod'? A large majority of the current Synod consists of Bishops who were not a part of the prior mess and if my memory is correct three of the most recent Bishops were not even part of the OCA for their entire priestly careers prior to ascending the status of Bishop. The issue of somehow these men not being firmly opposed to the immorality and decadence of our society is a red herring and to perpetuate it as being the 'truth' is a calumny against them. Archbishop Job of thrice blessed memory allowed one of the persons in question to serve as your Diocesan representative - it was Bishop Matthias who removed him. That being said, I would never accuse the Archbishop of being part of some left-wing 'liberal' fifth column. That is absurd.

Only in Hollywood does the story of the young man speaking truth to power and being acclaimed to the throne always seem to end with a happy note. Generally speaking such ascendancy in the real world ends like that of the Metropolitan - with a sense of sadness and melancholy over what could or should have been.

Choosing leaders who are not vetted over time, often produces ones who are neither mature in temperment nor tested in the ways of being a leader (such as pastoral experience). Such cases usually do not end well.

Well how about taking about how men like their disgraces Theodosius and Herman were both from the same "neighborhood" in the sense of their state of origin and the fact that area of the country, at least for the OCA has been dying and parishes have been hemmoraging members. I think we ought to really look at ANY Bishop coming from that are of our nation, because if they can't manage their own parishes well, they have no hope for managing a diocese well...

I also wouldn't be surprised if the "old guard" and "good ol boys" are made up of Bishops and Clergy from that region.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2012, 12:42:30 PM »

Well how about taking about how men like their disgraces Theodosius and Herman were both from the same "neighborhood" in the sense of their state of origin and the fact that area of the country, at least for the OCA has been dying and parishes have been hemmoraging members. I think we ought to really look at ANY Bishop coming from that are of our nation, because if they can't manage their own parishes well, they have no hope for managing a diocese well...

I also wouldn't be surprised if the "old guard" and "good ol boys" are made up of Bishops and Clergy from that region.

-sigh- Nothing like casting a wide net of aspersions based on opinion and bias. No question that the two prior Metropolitans had issues and that resolving those issues was difficult. Do you think it is any easier for any other group of humans to weed out bad apples? Teachers? Cops? Lawyers? Doctors? etc..... But if you are implying that either their ethnic origin (both were Lemkos if my memory serves me right) or that the region from which they came - Pennsylvania- somehow was the cause of these issues - I have only one sentiment - stop being a bigot and grow up. Sorry if that is harsh, but it is easy to stand up and yell about something you care about, but a heck of a lot harder to deal with it intelligently and with understanding and compassion.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2012, 12:49:06 PM »

-sigh- Nothing like casting a wide net of aspersions based on opinion and bias. No question that the two prior Metropolitans had issues and that resolving those issues was difficult. Do you think it is any easier for any other group of humans to weed out bad apples? Teachers? Cops? Lawyers? Doctors? etc..... But if you are implying that either their ethnic origin (both were Lemkos if my memory serves me right) or that the region from which they came - Pennsylvania- somehow was the cause of these issues - I have only one sentiment - stop being a bigot and grow up. Sorry if that is harsh, but it is easy to stand up and yell about something you care about, but a heck of a lot harder to deal with it intelligently and with understanding and compassion
I think there is nothing wrong with being critical, as long as you're not disrespectful and hurtful. its rare that I agree with Devin on....well...anything but I understand the frustration. When you're on the outside looking in you cant see the whole picture, so you're forced to process what you can see. From many people's point of view, the episcopacy seems to be a bunch of inept do-nothings. Now, I know that is definitely NOT the case but, our emotions get carried away, and well...there ya go.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2012, 12:50:21 PM »

-sigh- Nothing like casting a wide net of aspersions based on opinion and bias. No question that the two prior Metropolitans had issues and that resolving those issues was difficult. Do you think it is any easier for any other group of humans to weed out bad apples? Teachers? Cops? Lawyers? Doctors? etc..... But if you are implying that either their ethnic origin (both were Lemkos if my memory serves me right) or that the region from which they came - Pennsylvania- somehow was the cause of these issues - I have only one sentiment - stop being a bigot and grow up. Sorry if that is harsh, but it is easy to stand up and yell about something you care about, but a heck of a lot harder to deal with it intelligently and with understanding and compassion.

I love how you think I don't actually know anything about what happened during the scandal... I bet you actually don't know a lot of what went on and what the supporters of Archbishop Job and opponents of Herman had to suffer.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2012, 12:56:07 PM »

That's not what I said - looking at the composition of the current Synod - at least the major players - they are not the ones who enabled the prior clerical administration of the OCA to mismanage and do what they did. You did not address my critique of your comment regarding the origin of Bishops and the issue of proper training and experience. Archbishop Job was not 'hatched' as a Bishop - he was a pastor for many years in western PA prior to becoming a Bishop and is of a similar background and ethnicity as the ones whom you criticize.
witega
OC.net guru

« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2012, 01:07:34 PM »

How do you 'know' all of this to be the truth regarding your beliefs about the 'fault of the Synod'?

I think that's the core of the 'problem'. We don't 'know' why Metropolitan Jonah was forced out. And while I disagree with Devin's aggressive framing of it, he's absolutely correct that none of the reasons being floated about are actually legitimate reasons to remove a bishop (including a primate) from his see--even if one thinks they are reasons to criticize his Beatitude which is certainly a point of debate.

That said, the Church is not a democracy and the bishops do not 'owe' us an explanation. But I think it is fairly clear that one of the reasons Metropolitan Jonah was elected in the first place was his willingness to speak frankly about things. Given the last few years, there is a lot of distrust of 'the Synod'/'the Central Church Administration'. I doubt this old-style Byzantine forced resignation is going to alleviate that.

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2012, 01:10:41 PM »

That's not what I said - looking at the composition of the current Synod - at least the major players - they are not the ones who enabled the prior clerical administration of the OCA to mismanage and do what they did. You did not address my critique of your comment regarding the origin of Bishops and the issue of proper training and experience. Archbishop Job was not 'hatched' as a Bishop - he was a pastor for many years in western PA prior to becoming a Bishop and is of a similar background and ethnicity as the ones whom you criticize.

I don't think I sought to disqualify everyone from that area, but that that we should question the Bishops who do come from there. I'll be honest, I and a few others I know of were very suspicious of Bishop Matthias initially. He seemed to be thronged by the disgraceful Priests who hated and opposed Archbishop Job and supported Herman. Plus he had spent some time in the same region that the two disgraceful Metropolitans had been (possibly with exposure to the same conditions and people who may have supported or influenced them).

It wasn't until the election that a few of us were finally able to warm up to him and despite the disgraceful Priests hanging around him, it seems that he is genuinely a good Bishop and a good successor to Archbishop Job, it seems he is just like Job and refuses to put up with their crap.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2012, 01:11:30 PM »

How do you 'know' all of this to be the truth regarding your beliefs about the 'fault of the Synod'?

I think that's the core of the 'problem'. We don't 'know' why Metropolitan Jonah was forced out. And while I disagree with Devin's aggressive framing of it, he's absolutely correct that none of the reasons being floated about are actually legitimate reasons to remove a bishop (including a primate) from his see--even if one thinks they are reasons to criticize his Beatitude which is certainly a point of debate.

That said, the Church is not a democracy and the bishops do not 'owe' us an explanation. But I think it is fairly clear that one of the reasons Metropolitan Jonah was elected in the first place was his willingness to speak frankly about things. Given the last few years, there is a lot of distrust of 'the Synod'/'the Central Church Administration'. I doubt this old-style Byzantine forced resignation is going to alleviate that.

They don't "owe" us an explanation, but we can certainly force one. (like we did with Metropolitan Herman and thankfully that disgraceful man was forced into retirement)
We may not be a democracy, but we aren't a monarchy or despotism/fascism either.

Title added, Second Chance
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:19:35 PM by Second Chance » Logged
witega
OC.net guru

« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2012, 01:31:36 PM »

but we aren't a monarchy.

You think not?

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2012, 01:39:06 PM »

but we aren't a monarchy.

You think not?

If the Bishop were to tell me to do something, unless it were confession, doctrine or canon, I don't think I'm really obligated to do it.

Also in a monarchy, you don't have the Christian system. That is, the highest authority is meant to be the greatest "servant". Therefore the Bishop is to act like the servant of the laity and the clergy (while the latter are to treat him as their leader). The Priests are to be the servants of the Bishop and the Laity (while the Laity are to treat him as their leader).

When in a monarchy do you see a system such as that? Also, where in a monarchy do you see the people given the ability to approve their monarch, and then force that monarch out of power?
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2012, 01:46:36 PM »

They don't "owe" us an explanation, but we can certainly force one. (like we did with Herman and thankfully that disgraceful man was forced into retirement)
We may not be a democracy, but we aren't a monarchy or despotism/fascism either.

We are such products of the modern age - we want, we demand, we believe we are entitled to a wrap up of life's important challenges, set-backs etc... in a sixty minute script or a 24/7 news cycle. Such a need for 'closure' is a bane of our times.

Should Bishop Mathias or Bishop Michael take to Twitter and give one a minute by minute, blow by blow explanation of all that is transpiring? Should the Synod take to Youtube for an excercise in Mea Culpa or self-flaggelation? (Wait, that's way toooo Roman....)

You are so certain that he was 'forced out.' Perhaps.... but perhaps he, himself, came to a personal epiphany regarding his life and his responsibilities. He would not be the first of us to do so.

Calm down, let the dust settle and wait. The Church is akin to a battleship in the middle of the ocean.....course corrections are often unnoticed as they occur, but the destination changes dramatically as a result. If the correction to too sudden or too obvious, unintended consequences may occur. Be patient and pray.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 01:47:37 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2012, 01:56:09 PM »

They don't "owe" us an explanation, but we can certainly force one. (like we did with Herman and thankfully that disgraceful man was forced into retirement)

We are such products of the modern age - we want, we demand, we believe we are entitled to a wrap up of life's important challenges, set-backs etc... in a sixty minute script or a 24/7 news cycle. Such a need for 'closure' is a bane of our times.

Should Bishop Mathias or Bishop Michael take to Twitter and give one a minute by minute, blow by blow explanation of all that is transpiring? Should the Synod take to Youtube for an excercise in Mea Culpa or self-flaggelation? (Wait, that's way toooo Roman....)

You are so certain that he was 'forced out.' Perhaps.... but perhaps he, himself, came to a personal epiphany regarding his life and his responsibilities. He would not be the first of us to do so.

Calm down, let the dust settle and wait. The Church is akin to a battleship in the middle of the ocean.....course corrections are often unnoticed as they occur, but the destination changes dramatically as a result. If the correction to too sudden or too obvious, unintended consequences may occur. Be patient and pray.

How can you think he was NOT forced out?

"To the Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church in America, Brothers, As per your unanimous request, as conveyed to me by Chancellor Fr. John Jillions, I hereby tender my resignation as Primate of the Orthodox Church in America, and humbly request another Episcopal assignment."

The fact that our Synod DIDN'T DEPOSE his disgrace the bastard Metropolitan Herman shows that they were spineless to standing up for the faith. Now they have removed a truly good man in a similar manner to how they remove a totally disgusting man.
You are warned for 60 days for (a) repeatedly not using a title when referring to clergy and (b) using profanity, and that against a retired Metropolitan. If you wish appeal my decision, you must send me a PM before going up the chain. Second Chance
[/b]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:43:54 PM by Second Chance » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2012, 02:04:24 PM »

Thread locked pending further review by this section's moderator
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2012, 10:36:33 PM »

Thread is unlocked. Please remember that it is an Orthodox Christian forum. Second Chance

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »

His Beatitude, the Most Blessed Jonah, Archbishop of Washington, Metropolitan of all America and Canada, already did stand up to the Synod. We need to remember that "even a cat may look at the king". +Jonah was the king, but he was treated like the cat. If Metropolitan Tikhon does not issue apologies to his predecessor of blessed memory, the OCA will probably go to the dogs, because the infighting will continue until someone stands up to the system, and if no-one stands up, the system will destroy itself.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2012, 02:38:02 PM »

His Beatitude, the Most Blessed Jonah, Archbishop of Washington, Metropolitan of all America and Canada, already did stand up to the Synod. We need to remember that "even a cat may look at the king". +Jonah was the king, but he was treated like the cat. If Metropolitan Tikhon does not issue apologies to his predecessor of blessed memory, the OCA will probably go to the dogs, because the infighting will continue until someone stands up to the system, and if no-one stands up, the system will destroy itself.

I had to reread this post to make sure of when it was posted and what exactly it said. Please allow me to make a few corrections:

Metropolitan Jonah has resigned and Metropolitan Tikhon was just elected to replace him.

All of Metropolitan Tikhon's predecessors as the elected primates of the OCA are still alive. No need to style them "of blessed memory."

The titles of all of the living OCA primates are:

The Most Blessed Theodosius, Former Archbishop of Washington,
Metropolitan of All America and Canada. Addressed as Your Beatitude.

The Most Blessed Herman, Former Archbishop of Washington and New York, Metropolitan of All America and Canada. Addressed as Your Beatitude.

The Most Reverend Jonah, Former Archbishop of Washington, Metropolitan of All America and Canada. Addressed as Your Eminence.

The Most Blessed Tikhon, Archbishop of Washington, Metropolitan of All America and Canada. Addressed as Your Beatitude.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2012, 03:42:29 PM »

The Most Reverend Jonah, Former Archbishop of Washington, Metropolitan of All America and Canada. Addressed as Your Eminence.

Why not "Beatitude"?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: