OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 02:21:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Giving to the Church and asking saints to help Biology/pre-medical education?  (Read 523 times) Average Rating: 0
Hurdle

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: N/A

« on: July 08, 2012, 11:52:55 PM »

Dear all,

I feel much better after attending Divine liturgy today.

I finally had a chance to know some parisioners in the Greek Orthodox Church where I attend. Before that, I had a feeling that I might have to switch a different parish that has more Converts and using more English in liturgy, but now I feel that this parish is really a warm, welcoming parish to stay.

I have not yet talked to father the manner I shall be received into Church, and I think that it might be better to talk to him after obtaining my baptismal certificate from the Christian community where I was being initially baptized. Father is very nice and tells me to keep updates so he can sure I will stay on track.

Here are some of many questions I have:

In my first three liturgies, I was a little uncomfortable with the donation box being moved around by parisioners at the end of liturgy. I feel I can accept this kind of practice now, but I do not know why that asking donations is being done in this particular manner, at least in some parishes? Is it fine for me to give what I am able to give? I feel kind of embarassed because I am only able to give a little amount, comparing what other parisioners can do. 

This question is a little bit wild. Are there any Orthodox Saints can "help/assist" me to study Biology or becoming a Physician? I would want to become a physician if it is possible but I don't really know if there are any Saints I can pray to or any Orthodox writing can help me to continue my pre-medical undergraduate education, and Biology is my weakest studying field in college.

Thanks all!

LBK
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 12:00:18 AM »

Is it fine for me to give what I am able to give? I feel kind of embarassed because I am only able to give a little amount, comparing what other parisioners can do. 

What you give, be it a little or a lot, is nobody's business but your own. Remember the story of the widow and her meagre coins.

This question is a little bit wild. Are there any Orthodox Saints can "help/assist" me to study Biology or becoming a Physician? I would want to become a physician if it is possible but I don't really know if there are any Saints I can pray to or any Orthodox writing can help me to continue my pre-medical undergraduate education, and Biology is my weakest studying field in college.

Your question isn't "wild", it's perfectly sensible. There are many saints who were physicians and healers you could pray to, such as Sts Luke the Apostle, Cosmas and Damian the Unmercenaries, and, from our times, St Luke the Surgeon of Simferopol' and the Crimea. He was a monk, later a bishop, and a professor of surgery in Soviet Russia. There's plenty online in English about him.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 12:55:07 AM »

In my first three liturgies, I was a little uncomfortable with the donation box being moved around by parisioners at the end of liturgy. I feel I can accept this kind of practice now, but I do not know why that asking donations is being done in this particular manner, at least in some parishes? Is it fine for me to give what I am able to give? I feel kind of embarassed because I am only able to give a little amount, comparing what other parisioners can do.

I'm glad that you are meeting people.   Smiley

Passing the collection plate after the conclusion of liturgy is standard operating procedure for most Orthodox Churches.  Parishioners make their stewardship contributions (e.g. those who pledge a certain amount of money over a year) at that time and/or individuals make free-will offerings.  At this point, if you're able to give something, you are welcome to give what you can afford.  If you are unable to make a donation, the people are tactful and respectful and should not say anything.

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 02:00:21 PM »

I wouldn't worry about what you can and can't give. Do your best. There have been times where I didn't feel like I could give anything financially (and this sometimes even after a pledge). I've been unemployed for awhile, and so my "giving" has come in the form of attending and serving as many services as I can get to, and helping out anywhere and everywhere I can. Such duties range from polishing church furniture to compiling documents to cleaning out storage closets. I can't give money, but I can still invest my time and energy into the parish. It's not ideal, as tithing is very important, but almsgiving towards the church in this manner at least makes me feel better and proves that I care about it.

As for saints to pray for about becoming a physician...there are many! Of course, St. Luke the Apostle and Physician comes to mind as well as Ss. Cosmas and Damian the Unmercenary Physicians. One that hasn't been mentioned yet that I see is St. Panteleimon the Greatmartyr and Healer. Ss. Cyrus and John should also be mentioned, along with St. Sampson the Hospitable, who turned his Constantinopolitan home into a free clinic.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 08:38:30 PM »

Dear all,

I feel much better after attending Divine liturgy today.

I finally had a chance to know some parisioners in the Greek Orthodox Church where I attend. Before that, I had a feeling that I might have to switch a different parish that has more Converts and using more English in liturgy, but now I feel that this parish is really a warm, welcoming parish to stay.

I have not yet talked to father the manner I shall be received into Church, and I think that it might be better to talk to him after obtaining my baptismal certificate from the Christian community where I was being initially baptized. Father is very nice and tells me to keep updates so he can sure I will stay on track.

Here are some of many questions I have:

Thanks all!

My patron saint, St. Panteleimon, is the patron for Physicians. The Holy Unmercenaries, Sts. Cosmas and Damian, St. Tryphon, St. Anastasia Deliverer from Potions, St Agapit the Physician of Kievo-Pechersk, and St. Luke the Evangelist could also be added to the list as patrons for physicians.

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
thetraditionalfrog
Traditional Frog

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 02:30:01 PM »

The "collection" practice at my parish is simple. There is a small wooden donation box near the entrance with a slot on top. Donations for candles, stipends w/ requests, and weekly donations are all placed here. This is usually done before Liturgy when candles are purchased. The nice thing about this is no one notices who gives or not, and it keeps from disrupting the service. In my parish some folks give weekly, some monthly, etc. Some also give their money to the parish office directly. Also candle donations are not strict at my parish, some people donate for several weeks worth of candles at one time (I've done this), others may light a candle then make the donation later as they have it.

I would second Sts. Luke, and Comas and Damian as patrons for your field of studies. There are many others as well.

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: