OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 05:44:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some questions about Coptic tradition  (Read 941 times) Average Rating: 0
Fotios1303

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - Archdiocese of Buenos Aires and South America

« on: July 08, 2012, 08:14:36 PM »

Hello everyone!

I have visited the Coptic Cathedral of Saint Mark in Sao Paulo - Brazil. Anba Agathon is a very nice man!

I saw some "strange" thing in this church, for example "the bishop and priest just use the alb,and the bishop use a veil,the priest use a "mitre",no stole,no cape,no cuffs..." and in the moment of communion of people,women entered the sanctuary by right door,for receive communion.

These are Coptic tradition or just a innovation(like latinization) in this parish?

Fotios
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:16:31 PM by Fotios1303 » Logged
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 08:58:51 PM »

Coptic Priests' vestments are simpler than those of Byzantine clergy. As per women communing in the sanctuary, this depends on the parish.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:59:03 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 09:29:30 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Fotios!   Smiley

Fotios1303

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - Archdiocese of Buenos Aires and South America

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 09:36:26 PM »

Thanks!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 09:53:38 PM »

Hello everyone!

I have visited the Coptic Cathedral of Saint Mark in Sao Paulo - Brazil. Anba Agathon is a very nice man!

I saw some "strange" thing in this church, for example "the bishop and priest just use the alb,and the bishop use a veil,the priest use a "mitre",no stole,no cape,no cuffs..." and in the moment of communion of people,women entered the sanctuary by right door,for receive communion.

These are Coptic tradition or just a innovation(like latinization) in this parish?

Fotios
They didn't enter the sanctuary. There are two rooms flanking the sanctuary, one for men, the other for women.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Fotios1303

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 10:14:25 PM »

But the sanctuary of this church is not divided.

It's one sanctuary,i didn't saw another room

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVrq5rSHLOg
A video of this church
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 10:16:45 PM by Fotios1303 » Logged
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 10:21:29 PM »

It is interesting to see this Bishop dressed with an imperial mitre. Most Coptic Bishops just wear the Qualansuwa, or Monastic cap, when serving the liturgy.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 10:22:38 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 12:23:02 AM »

The cape, epitrachelion, and cuffs are all part of the priest's liturgical vestments in the Coptic tradition. Coptic Studies scholar A. J. Butler in fact suggests that the cuffs originated in the Coptic tradition.

As per current practice--for reasons I don't know--the use of all three tend to be reserved for ceremonial occasions (most notably, festal liturgies). I know of some priests though who have a habit of at least wearing the stole when performing sacramental functions.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:23:26 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »

I wouldn't dream of celebrating anything without wearing my stole and mitre. I usually reserve the cape for festal services.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church vestments 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: