OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 02:17:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get up Stand Up  (Read 4665 times) Average Rating: 0
BrassMonkey
Sinful but hopeful

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Thyateira and Great Britain

Most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« on: July 06, 2012, 08:59:48 AM »

So I was listening to Legend by Bob Marley the other day (yeah, yeah... I know).

Anyone got an opinion on what this song is about? In particular, the bit that mentions Jesus.

http://www.lyricsoncall.com/lyrics/bob-marley/get-up-stand-up-lyrics.html

Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 02:54:01 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

In what context?

My free-association thoughts?

Get Up Stand Up is one of the ALL time greatest protest songs.  Protest against what? You have to read deeper than the surface view, or face value of the lyrics. It is not necessarily a civil rights' song, or an anti-facist song, though it has been readily adopted by these.  This song has been a rallying cry across the Americas, and across Africa, to rally folks around the cause of freedom.  Rastafari is a LIBERATION movement. However, what are we liberating ourselves from? Captivity of the devil and sin, not necessarily politics. 

That is the half of the story not told. How do we find ours on earth? The Divine Mysteries, where God comes to the earth and meets us where we are in the Holy Communion. Sick and tired of bs game, dying and go to heaven in Lord Jesus Name, unfortunately folks in the Caribbean politics, much like slavery in the US, wrongfully tried to convince people that living in bondage and subhuman oppression is divinely ordained, and that folks should be concerned more with finding redemption in the afterlife than in this life.  That is a cop-out for oppression.  We are oppressed spiritual by the devil, and by the weight of sin, and we simply CAN'T wait for the afterlife to be relieved of this burden, then it may be too late.  We must seek salvation actively, here and now, as Apostle James taught us, Faith interacting with Works.

Get Up Stand Up in the deepest reflection means the same thing as

"Stand up for Prayer" like the Deacons chant during Divine Liturgy.  The deacons are reminded us our faith in the Church, through the Mysteries, must be active, dynamic, living.  We must actively stand up and reach for God in prayer.  This is our inalienable right given by Jesus Christ at the Cross.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 02:59:11 PM »

"We're sick and tired of this game of technology ; humbly asking Jesus for his mercy"

Lyrics  Cool , plus the first couplet "you preacher man don't tell me"...

Love it...

(I know this post will not make the topic advance, but well  Grin )
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 03:01:23 PM »

A noble attempt, Habte.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 03:25:20 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
A noble attempt, Habte.

At what exactly is your insinuation?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 03:35:14 PM »

A noble attempt, Habte.

That you did well in trying to have the clearly Rastafarian and rebellion based lyrics jive with Orthodox beliefs. 

"You will look for yours on Earth"
ahh, but that's like what we do with the Divine Mysteries... right, I'm sure that's what they were on about too.

I'm similarly sure that the "Mighty God is a Living Man" bit was their insistence that Christ's humanity not be overlooked.

I'm not buying, but I appreciate your effort and creativity.  Great song, ridiculous and blasphemous lyrics included, and I still enjoy it.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 03:50:54 PM »

A noble attempt, Habte.

That you did well in trying to have the clearly Rastafarian and rebellion based lyrics jive with Orthodox beliefs.  

ahh, but that's like what we do with the Divine Mysteries... right, I'm sure that's what they were on about too.

I'm similarly sure that the "Mighty God is a Living Man" bit was their insistence that Christ's humanity not be overlooked.

I'm not buying, but I appreciate your effort and creativity.  Great song, ridiculous and blasphemous lyrics included, and I still enjoy it.

Where was the blasphemy?  Kindly quote the blasphemy you saw in those lyrics, I can't for the life of me fin any.  Is it the verse about Jesus?

Again I think you misunderstand what those brothers intended.  They are not mashing down against Jesus Christ, quite the opposite.  They are saying that Jesus is actual, real, living, not rhetorical or theoritical.  We don't have to wait or Jesus to come to our lives.  Even the  most ardent Rasta who worshipped HIM believed HIM to be Jesus, seen? So there is no confusion here.  Again, that verse is meant to attack those folks who have tried to mistakenly use Christianity to support colonialism, slavery, and racism.  Such is nonsense.  Jesus doesn't dig that kind of vibe, and neither to the Rastafari people.  This is the other half of the story left untold.  We are not waiting for some pie-in-the-sky God to come save us, and in the meantime suffer in our sins until then. God can save us here, and now, in this instant, in the present moment, where we are actually and currently living.

I wasn't trying to say that the intentions of the Wailers were an Orthodox lyric, but that as a Rastafari brother who has lived this life for some years now, and also lives in the Orthodox, I can easily see the bridge.  The point, which I think you lost in your hyperbole, is that the initial intentions of Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, and Bunny Wailer with this, that Rastafari is a LIBERATION movement, but the battle is spiritual.  

That is the other half of the story.  That is the reality of God being a Living Man, and seeking ours on earth in the present moment.  I combined Orthodox language and Rastafari language so folks here who speak Orthodox could understand,  but all out, the Rastafari purpose of that song was not politics, it was spiritual.  It is SIN that destroys humanity, and in this, both Rastafari and Orthodox openly and mutually agree.  The liberation which Rastafari promotes is SPIRITUAL.  I say this as a card-carrying Rastafari brother.  How do we win this spiritual battle? Many in Rastafari, the late Berhane Selassie (Bob Marley's baptismal name) and many other Elders agreed it is the Orthodox Church.

A lot of folks might read those lyrics and think that song is about politics, its not.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 03:54:36 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 07:11:21 PM »

So I was listening to Legend by Bob Marley the other day (yeah, yeah... I know).

Anyone got an opinion on what this song is about? In particular, the bit that mentions Jesus.

I've always understood it as being a reference to Rastafarian beliefs.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 11:50:54 PM »

A noble attempt, Habte.

I'm not buying, but I appreciate your effort and creativity.  Great song, ridiculous and blasphemous lyrics included, and I still enjoy it.

Where was the blasphemy?  Kindly quote the blasphemy you saw in those lyrics, I can't for the life of me fin any.  Is it the verse about Jesus?

"We know and we understand, that Mighty God is a living man."  This, as you well know, is about HIM, a man/dude (who was not Jesus).  Saying that God is a dude (other than Christ, who lived and died in the first century) is blasphemous (although perhaps truly misguided and harmful is easier to stick).  I'm sorry that you don't see it that way.

A lot of folks might read those lyrics and think that song is about politics, its not.

I would agree with that last bit, and I still think it's a great song, either way.  I still don't personally believe that Rastafarian beliefs and Orthodoxy jive, but I don't want to fight you on this. 

Not to sound condescending or what not, but without knowing you personally, I think you've done about the best job of mixing the two I've seen.  I mean that to reflect well on you, but not on most the Rasta buddies I've knows (speaking of their Xtian connection, not their personal traits).  Regardless of my opinions on Rastafarianism, I'm fairly confident that you're a better Christian than I am.

BrassMonkey
Sinful but hopeful

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 05:17:51 AM »

Thanks for your comments guys.

"We know and we understand, that Mighty God is a living man."  This, as you well know, is about HIM, a man/dude (who was not Jesus).  Saying that God is a dude (other than Christ, who lived and died in the first century) is blasphemous (although perhaps truly misguided and harmful is easier to stick).  I'm sorry that you don't see it that way.

This was my first thought- that the "living man" referred to HIM. But my subsequent reading has led me to understand, firstly, that Bob Marley was a rasta of the Twelve Tribes of Israel, who do not hold HIM to be God. Something close to a saint maybe, but not God. Secondly, Marley converted to OO before he died. Even if the song far predates his conversion, and the change of heart that presumably went with it, how do we explain away the first point?

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 06:11:33 AM »

Cool music.  Blasphemous lyrics.  Rastararianism is a cult.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 03:50:30 PM »

Thanks for your comments guys.

This was my first thought- that the "living man" referred to HIM. But my subsequent reading has led me to understand, firstly, that Bob Marley was a rasta of the Twelve Tribes of Israel, who do not hold HIM to be God. Something close to a saint maybe, but not God. Secondly, Marley converted to OO before he died. Even if the song far predates his conversion, and the change of heart that presumably went with it, how do we explain away the first point?

Lots of revisionism and assumptions there.  He and Peter Tosh were not Christians when they wrote that song (unless in some convoluted "deep in their hearts" way).  Who is this "living man" then?

If you prefer to think of the meaning in that way, I personally don't see any problems with that.  I love countless songs that I try to ignore or twist the lyrics so that they are a bit less, whatever.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 10:54:58 PM »

Bob Marley has a particular lyric that comes to mind about some of the comments on this thread:

A noble attempt, Habte.

Where was the blasphemy?  Kindly quote the blasphemy you saw in those lyrics, I can't for the life of me fin any.  Is it the verse about Jesus?

"We know and we understand, that Mighty God is a living man."  This, as you well know, is about HIM, a man/dude (who was not Jesus).  Saying that God is a dude (other than Christ, who lived and died in the first century) is blasphemous (although perhaps truly misguided and harmful is easier to stick).  I'm sorry that you don't see it that way.

I would agree with that last bit, and I still think it's a great song, either way.  I still don't personally believe that Rastafarian beliefs and Orthodoxy jive, but I don't want to fight you on this.  

Not to sound condescending or what not, but without knowing you personally, I think you've done about the best job of mixing the two I've seen.  I mean that to reflect well on you, but not on most the Rasta buddies I've knows (speaking of their Xtian connection, not their personal traits).  Regardless of my opinions on Rastafarianism, I'm fairly confident that you're a better Christian than I am.

Thank you for the compliment by the way.  I meant no disrespect Smiley

I blend Orthodox and Rastafari well because I was taught this syncretic blend by Rastafari Elders who also are part of the Orthodox Church, which is precisely how I found the Orthodox Church in the first place.  Many thousands of Rastafari brothers and sisters have been baptised into the Faith, and many thousands are practising members of Orthodox parishes.  Rastafari Elders have been part of boards, steering committees, associations, education programs, etc etc, in other words, many of us are part of the Church.  These are those who have introduced me to the Church directly, and who I fellowship with, and these Elders are who taught me by example what it means to be both Rastafari and yet Orthodox.  I assure you, Orthodox comes first, because Orthodox is the Faith, and Rastafari is a political-spiritual way of living, they are not necessarily mutually exclusive.  There is a diversity amongst Rastafari, as we say, there are many mansions there, I fellowship in particular with mansions such as the Ethiopian World Federation and the Twelve Tribes of Israel which have been directly interconnected with the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church since HIM Haile Selassie sent the first Ethiopian mission to the western hemisphere  to Trinidad at the specific request of EWF Rastafari members in 1956.  Since then, the EOTC and many mansions of Rastafari have worked together for mutual goals, as again, we are not inherently mutually exclusive.  I know we have had this debate before, and many here on the forum will try to argue otherwise, but myself and many thousands of people are living proof and witness that such are mistaken.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 11:00:18 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

BrassMonkey
Sinful but hopeful

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 10:28:53 AM »

I have to say I like HabteSelassie's interpretation best. But perhaps that is wishful thinking on my part.

I think the question that's really on my mind is: even if the original message is blasphemous, is there likely to be any spiritual harm in listening to the song and wilfully reinterpreting it as an affirmation of Orthodoxy?

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 08:41:45 PM »

In what context?

My free-association thoughts?

Get Up Stand Up is one of the ALL time greatest protest songs.  Protest against what? You have to read deeper than the surface view, or face value of the lyrics. It is not necessarily a civil rights' song, or an anti-facist song, though it has been readily adopted by these.  This song has been a rallying cry across the Americas, and across Africa, to rally folks around the cause of freedom.  Rastafari is a LIBERATION movement. However, what are we liberating ourselves from? Captivity of the devil and sin, not necessarily politics. 

That is the half of the story not told. How do we find ours on earth? The Divine Mysteries, where God comes to the earth and meets us where we are in the Holy Communion. Sick and tired of bs game, dying and go to heaven in Lord Jesus Name, unfortunately folks in the Caribbean politics, much like slavery in the US, wrongfully tried to convince people that living in bondage and subhuman oppression is divinely ordained, and that folks should be concerned more with finding redemption in the afterlife than in this life.  That is a cop-out for oppression.  We are oppressed spiritual by the devil, and by the weight of sin, and we simply CAN'T wait for the afterlife to be relieved of this burden, then it may be too late.  We must seek salvation actively, here and now, as Apostle James taught us, Faith interacting with Works.

Get Up Stand Up in the deepest reflection means the same thing as

"Stand up for Prayer" like the Deacons chant during Divine Liturgy.  The deacons are reminded us our faith in the Church, through the Mysteries, must be active, dynamic, living.  We must actively stand up and reach for God in prayer.  This is our inalienable right given by Jesus Christ at the Cross.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Great assessment! So many of Bob's lyrics seem to forshadow the fulfillment of truth that he finally embraced and received upon his Baptism into the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church. Sometimes the first step towards Christ is a rebellion against the many idols fashioned in His name. That's how I intepret much of Bob Marley's music: rebellion against the idols of politics, colonialism, injustice, racism, arrogance, atheism, war, death and destruction- anything that is essentially a manifestation of the demonic rather than the divine. 

There are many layers and meanings to his lyrics. For example: "Every time I plant a seed, they say kill it before it grows" (from "I Shot the Sheriff"). Most people recognize this line as a reference to ganja, but how many realize that this is also a deliberate indictment of abortion? See, that was the genius of Bob! Wink

A modern day Psalmist, decrying the infathomable evils of this world while invoking the ever sure hope of a merciful God.

JAH! RASTAFARI!!!

Bob Marley (Berhane Selassie):  MEMORY I-TERNAL

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »

JAH! RASTAFARI!!!

Selam

Waiting for Apocalyptic backlash in 3..2..1..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 11:12:50 PM »

what did our Lord say about the wolves with a sheep clothing? those who say they are speaking in the Holy Spirit and prophesying in His Name, when they are not?

All heresies for the most part, have preached peace, love and brotherhood, and many have done it in the Name of Jesus, but at the heart what propels their distortion of Scripture and lies against the Orthodox Faith and the Orthodox Church has always been that they were serving their ego that has gotten inflated by the Devil and not God. thus their teachings has been referred by the Savior as " the gates of hell" for instance in this thread, you can see the Rastafarian's rushing to defend this heretical and blasphemous song, and go far as far as to elevate it as equal to the call of the Deacon in the Divine Liturgy, and the singer equal to the man who has been called like the heart of God, the Prophet of the Lord, King David.

we are told by them that rastafarianisim is really not a political movement, rather one that preaches the Gospel as the need for liberation from sin and Satan's domination, they without shame will us to ignore all the facts that make this ' pseudospiritual political movement" and regard it as a spiritual movement of repentance and reconciliation with GOD. how is that for distortion?

I want you to know that the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church will call all men into repentance and salvation that is found in Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Thus to combat and correct the erroneous and heretical teaching of the Rastafarian's the Orthodox Church has sent messangers of the Gospel of The Lord, into the Caribbeans, and have baptised those who have renounced their former ways and heretical beliefs and distortions, however like the apostle says many have returned to their former vomits. and many still sit on their idols like Jacob's wife Rachel did on the way to Betel. thinking they can enter the kingdom while embracing their idols in their bosom and giving this reason or that as to why they are not casting it away. the ETOC will baptise those who confess Christ and vow to keep their baptismal vows, but has no association with those who like pigs return to their former filth or like dogs swallow their vomit.

yet these people continue to lie against the Faith, the Church and her Holy Tradition, and take glory in their shame.Rest assured they will account to the Lord for their lies.

In the Liturgy, the priest washes his hands and says if any one of you partakes this communion in unworthy manner then I am free of your blood. thus says the entire church to those that approach to commune in an unworthy manner, if you do not listen your blood is upon you. they will continue to ignore the truth and hold on to their idols and passions of their flesh, then they have no real communion with the Church the Body of Christ, they have anathematised themselves with their own mouth in their baptismal vow they have rejected. They claim communion in unworthy manner, without Communion in the Orthodox Faith there is No Communion. no matter what they wish to tell themselves or others in their inherent deception.

as to you , run from such  demonic attachments, work out your salvation with fear and trembling in the Orthodox Faith and the Orthodox Communion of the Faithful you are in. Glorify Christ above all things, and crucify the world and its lusts within you. let No One deceive you.

I will leave you with  the advise of the Apostle

Ephesians 5:1-20

1Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children 2and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

3But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. 4Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. 5For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a man is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.a 6Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7Therefore do not be partners with them.

8For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9(for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10and find out what pleases the Lord. 11Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. 12For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. 13But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, 14for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said:

“Wake up, O sleeper,
rise from the dead,
and Christ will shine on you.”
15Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. 18Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. 19Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, 20always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

With Love in Christ,
Hiwot.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 11:37:29 PM »

JAH! RASTAFARI!!!

Selam

Waiting for Apocalyptic backlash in 3..2..1..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

what is apocalyptic, or what continues to be revealed is how far you both ( habte and gebre) go in the blasphemy genre, when it comes to defending the Rastafarianisim you love. your comparative theology was quite apocalyptic as was gebre's that was accompanied by this blasphemous poster.

I say if you guys were attempting to unveil your allegiance to Rastafarian doctrine( that goes beyond the worship of the emperor) you have done quite well. but my country men have a saying , just because you have two legs does not mean you can climb two trees at the same time, there comes a point you will have to chose one way or another. good luck in that choice.

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 12:08:53 AM »

You called it Habte! I wonder what our dear sister will do when she meets our brother Berhane Selassie in the Kingdom? "No thank you Lord, I don't want to be here with this man. I judge his baptism to be ineffectual. How dare you let him in your kingdom?!"

Roll Eyes

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 12:18:13 AM »

Sometimes the first step towards Christ is a rebellion against the many idols fashioned in His name.

This is a great point and one that shouldn't ever be overlooked when encountering those "anti-Christians" out there of varying stripes.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 12:18:26 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 12:24:12 AM »

You called it Habte! I wonder what our dear sister will do when she meets our brother Berhane Selassie in the Kingdom? "No thank you Lord, I don't want to be here with this man. I judge his baptism to be ineffectual. How dare you let him in your kingdom?!"

Roll Eyes

Selam

First of all Gebre, I do not presume on the certainty of my entrance to the kingdom,I hope and trust in God's mercy however, that does not mean I will not strive to keep the Orthodox Faith that was handed over and entrusted to the Church, it is my baptismal vow that I will live and die keeping. the Faith I keep is beyond my personal weaknesses, that Truth of God is not to be lied about. now I will pray to be allowed to enter into the Kingdom but not only me but to see everyone in the Kingdom, that does not however mean I will allow the tares of heresies to be preached as Orthodoxy by the messengers of the Enemy. personally I do not know him from Adam, yet I know what he sung about, what he advocated in that song was not the Orthodox Faith or the Hymn of David. no matter what the Father of Lies tries to twist it into looking and imitating the Orthodox Faith and the Psalm of David. those that say so, reveal who they serve when they lie it is as simple as that.

there is No fear to speak the Truth,Christ is risen!

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 12:32:49 AM »

I want you to know that the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church will call all men into repentance and salvation that is found in Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Amen Amen!

That is what I go there for Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 12:51:51 AM »

Roll Eyes

Selam

First of all Gebre, I do not presume on the certainty of my entrance to the kingdom,I hope and trust in God's mercy however, that does not mean I will not strive to keep the Orthodox Faith that was handed over and entrusted to the Church, it is my baptismal vow that I will live and die keeping. the Faith I keep is beyond my personal weaknesses, that Truth of God is not to be lied about. now I will pray to be allowed to enter into the Kingdom but not only me but to see everyone in the Kingdom, that does not however mean I will allow the tares of heresies to be preached as Orthodoxy by the messengers of the Enemy. personally I do not know him from Adam, yet I know what he sung about, what he advocated in that song was not the Orthodox Faith or the Hymn of David. no matter what the Father of Lies tries to twist it into looking and imitating the Orthodox Faith and the Psalm of David. those that say so, reveal who they serve when they lie it is as simple as that.

Truly He is risen!

I encourage you to read our posts again. Notice that I said I think that Bob Marley's lyrics foreshadowed the fullness of truth that he received at his Baptism. I did not say and never will say that his songs and lyrics are liturgical or without flaw. But his songs are laced with biblical scriptures and imagery, and they paved the way to Orthodoxy for me and many others.

"Who feels it knows it Lord..."

Selam

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 12:52:15 AM »

I want you to know that the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church will call all men into repentance and salvation that is found in Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Amen Amen!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

then I hope you start to show the fruit of that repentance and stop giving false witness as to say what the singer said is the same as what the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church says in her Divine Liturgy.or that comparative theology of yours that argues Rastafarianisim is similar and compatable with Orthodoxy,  stop merging an idol with Christ. Repent of your former ways and be Transformed in Christ, be a True Freed Man in Christ, and call all Men into Freedom in Christ. He asks us to be Holy /Separate/ from all that false spirituality that does not have The Holy Spirit in it. once you are free, do not be held into slavery once more to your old attachments and lusts spiritual or otherwise. because the Church always proclaims the Kingdom before the reading of the Holy Gospel saying in the words of the Forerunner " Repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand!" so let us all bear fruits Worthy of our Repentance in the Peraclete ( He is the Only One Who Sanctifies and Strengthens) and no other.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 12:57:29 AM »

Amen Amen!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

then I hope you start to show the fruit of that repentance and stop giving false witness as to say what the singer said is the same as what the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church says in her Divine Liturgy.or that comparative theology of yours that argues Rastafarianisim is similar and compatable with Orthodoxy,  stop merging an idol with Christ. Repent of your former ways and be Transformed in Christ, be a True Freed Man in Christ, and call all Men into Freedom in Christ. He asks us to be Holy /Separate/ from all that false spirituality that does not have The Holy Spirit in it. once you are free, do not be held into slavery once more to your old attachments and lusts spiritual or otherwise. because the Church always proclaims the Kingdom before the reading of the Holy Gospel saying in the words of the Forerunner " Repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand!" so let us all bear fruits Worthy of our Repentance in the Peraclete ( He is the Only One Who Sanctifies and Strengthens) and no other.

I respect your zeal dear sistren. It is tuly needed in these perilous times. But please be careful not to uproot the wheat with the tares.

Selam

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 12:57:33 AM »

I did not say and never will say that his songs and lyrics are liturgical or without flaw.

You referred to him as a "modern day Psalmist" 8 posts up from this claim.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 01:08:24 AM by Cognomen » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 01:03:38 AM »

Thank you for your concern and your kind prayers my sister.  As a delightful priest taught me, "Please pray for me, I have a terrible problem.  I worship the Holy Trinity Father, Son and Holy Spirit, so please pray for me, a sinner."

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 01:07:44 AM »

Sorry, I missed your reply, Habte.

Ok so remembrance of action against Jesus Christ
& then remembrance of action against Marcus Garvey

I don't see the Christianity in these lyrics.  Instead, I see him equating the two or getting confused again between the Lord and dudes.

Again, while I love the guy, Tosh (relevant to "Get up Stand up") was pretty dern anti-Christian.  Maybe Marley came all around, but I still think a lot of his lyrics are a stretch (at best).

Thank you for the compliment by the way.  I meant no disrespect Smiley

You are most welcome; I meant it.  None taken whatsoever.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 01:11:31 AM »

Roll Eyes

Selam

Truly He is risen!

I encourage you to read our posts again. Notice that I said I think that Bob Marley's lyrics foreshadowed the fullness of truth that he received at his Baptism. I did not say and never will say that his songs and lyrics are liturgical or without flaw. But his songs are laced with biblical scriptures and imagery, and they paved the way to Orthodoxy for me and many others.

Selam

and I ask you to read what you have been posting in here, including that poster. I have no expectation of the truth out of you gebre, if one can dare to lie against God , what can one fear against man? he was a heretic and he repented of his ways and got baptised into Orthodoxy, before he was baptised he was not moved by the spirit when he distorted the meaning of scripture and blasphemed. you seem not to see the blasphemy because you willfully closed your eyes to it and are in adamant denial of it. you think quoting scripture makes one a holy man who prophesied? the orthodox Church sent the messanger of the Gospel and confronted the lies that were being disseminated by bob and the cult he was engaged in, with the message of Orthodoxy. the usage of the name of God or the biblical words magnifies the nature of the blasphemous teaching and intensifies the attachment to the heresy. because it occupies both the political and the spiritual side of the person. what is fulfilled in Christianity is not the prophesy of rastafarianisim, what is fulfilled is God's plan for the Entire Humanity in His Only Begotten Son through the Holy Spirit. so please spare me , the fulfilled Rastafarian speech, no such thing as fulfilled Zoroastrian, fulfilled, Asteratian, fulfilled Athenian( if there were such a thing in Orthodoxy the Greeks would have had dibs on it)

Stop with all the excuses, fake is not real, the fake spirituality of rastafarianisim is the lie of the Devil its imitation of orthodoxy is the Devil's joke and his mockery. The Orthodox Faith is the True Faith. Period.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 01:17:48 AM by Hiwot » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 01:17:39 AM »

Roll Eyes

Selam

Truly He is risen!

Selam

and I ask you to read what you have been posting in here, including that poster. I have no expectation of the truth out of you gebre, if one can dare to lie against God , what can one fear against man? he was a heretic and he repented of his ways and got baptised into Orthodoxy, before he was baptised he was not moved by the spirit when he distorted the meaning of scripture and blasphemed. you seem not to see the blasphemy because you willfully closed your eyes to it and are in adamant denial of it. you think quoting scripture makes one a holy man who prophesied? the orthodox Church sent the messanger of the Gospel and confronted the lies that were being disseminated by bob and the cult he was engaged in, with the message of Orthodoxy. the usage of the name of God or the biblical words magnifies the nature of the blasphemous teaching and intensifies the attachment to the heresy. because it occupies both the political and the spiritual side of the person. what is fulfilled in Christianity is not the prophesy of rastafarianisim, what is fulfilled is God's plan for the Enter Humanity in His Only Begotten Son through the Holy Spirit. so please spare me , the fulfilled Rastafarian speech, no such thing as fulfilled Zoroastrian, fulfilled, Asteratian, fulfilled Athenian( if there were such a thing in Orthodoxy the Greeks would have had dibs on it)

Stop with all the excuses, fake is not real, the fake spirituality of rastafarianisim is the lie of the Devil its imitation of orthodoxy is the Devil's joke and his mockery. The Orthodox Faith is the True Faith. Period.

If I am graced to enter the kingdom and shall meet you there, I shall be pleased but not surprised. I only hope that if you meet me there, you will not be disappointed even though you will surely be greatly surprised. I imagine we may join Bob and the angels singing, "Give thanks and praise to the Lord... " Smiley

Selam
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 01:19:26 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2012, 01:33:04 AM »

Thank you for your concern and your kind prayers my sister.  As a delightful priest taught me, "Please pray for me, I have a terrible problem.  I worship the Holy Trinity Father, Son and Holy Spirit, so please pray for me, a sinner."

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Indeed let us learn from that delightful priest and first admit our errors repent of them with sincerity and ask for forgiveness of God and His aid not to return to them. that is the path of true repentance. perhaps habte, you will one day say those things the priest have said too. In the mean time, May the Prayers of the Saints help all of us into a life of true repentance and purity. Amen.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2012, 01:52:58 AM »

Roll Eyes

Selam

Truly He is risen!

Selam

and I ask you to read what you have been posting in here, including that poster. I have no expectation of the truth out of you gebre, if one can dare to lie against God , what can one fear against man? he was a heretic and he repented of his ways and got baptised into Orthodoxy, before he was baptised he was not moved by the spirit when he distorted the meaning of scripture and blasphemed. you seem not to see the blasphemy because you willfully closed your eyes to it and are in adamant denial of it. you think quoting scripture makes one a holy man who prophesied? the orthodox Church sent the messanger of the Gospel and confronted the lies that were being disseminated by bob and the cult he was engaged in, with the message of Orthodoxy. the usage of the name of God or the biblical words magnifies the nature of the blasphemous teaching and intensifies the attachment to the heresy. because it occupies both the political and the spiritual side of the person. what is fulfilled in Christianity is not the prophesy of rastafarianisim, what is fulfilled is God's plan for the Enter Humanity in His Only Begotten Son through the Holy Spirit. so please spare me , the fulfilled Rastafarian speech, no such thing as fulfilled Zoroastrian, fulfilled, Asteratian, fulfilled Athenian( if there were such a thing in Orthodoxy the Greeks would have had dibs on it)

If I am graced to enter the kingdom and shall meet you there, I shall be pleased but not surprised. I only hope that if you meet me there, you will not be disappointed even though you will surely be greatly surprised. I imagine we may join Bob and the angels singing, "Give thanks and praise to the Lord... " Smiley

Selam

Oh Gebre, What is so surprising in the Mercifulness of God? would You be surprised to see anyone including the Devil be granted mercy were he to seek it?  for those who repent and seek mercy God is infinitely merciful. God is Love and His Mercy endures forever, may it be so you are granted that union with God my brother, may it be so for all, knowing God the union with Him will be in Truth, not in falsity. such is the Faith the Church has been entrusted with. It is not my place to say who enters the kingdom and who goes to hell, be it me or any other person. but It is my responsibility to guard and to care for , and to witness the Faith I have received with my very life if need be.

God seeks those that worship him in Spirit and Truth. and not simply by saying Abraham is our father. He is Merciful and Just. From those that much has been given much will be expected. let us not deceive ourselves.

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2012, 02:18:30 AM »

It must be that time of year again. Sorry, I still don't see how you can be Orthodox and Rastafarian, creative interpretations of Bob Marley lyrics aside.

EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2012, 02:22:12 AM »

In my opinion, a listener may and should be able to interpret a song however he/she wishes for his/her own private recreational listening, without any regard to the artist's intentions. I do this all the time. Such an approach reflects--again, in my opinion--respect for such music as 'art' in the fullest sense of the term.

Interpreting a song as being morally or spiritually compatible with Orthodoxy may be difficult to do naturally and in good conscience, however, if it is clear that the artist intended it in a contrary manner.

I'm not going to comment on the song under discussion, except to say that I would support HabteSelassie's decision to value it as part of his music collection if he in good conscience is naturally inclined to register its references to Christ in the Orthodox manner he believes them to have been intended--whether or not they were indeed so intended.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 02:23:25 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2012, 02:37:17 AM »

Roll Eyes

Selam

Truly He is risen!

Selam

Selam

Oh Gebre, What is so surprising in the Mercifulness of God? would You be surprised to see anyone including the Devil be granted mercy were he to seek it?  for those who repent and seek mercy God is infinitely merciful. God is Love and His Mercy endures forever, may it be so you are granted that union with God my brother, may it be so for all, knowing God the union with Him will be in Truth, not in falsity. such is the Faith the Church has been entrusted with. It is not my place to say who enters the kingdom and who goes to hell, be it me or any other person. but It is my responsibility to guard and to care for , and to witness the Faith I have received with my very life if need be.

God seeks those that worship him in Spirit and Truth. and not simply by saying Abraham is our father. He is Merciful and Just. From those that much has been given much will be expected. let us not deceive ourselves.

In all this we are in full agreement. And I am glad that you now call me your brother.  Wink

Selam

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2012, 02:38:25 AM »

It must be that time of year again. Sorry, I still don't see how you can be Orthodox and Rastafarian, creative interpretations of Bob Marley lyrics aside.

yeap its a vicious cycle, of attempted grafting of rastafariansim into orthodoxy, then when challenged ,back pedaling with false piety etc, then come again on another day with the same argument worded differently and try again to pass rastafarianisim and its manifestations as orthodoxy, then when challenged back pedal again with bunch of words that can pass for piety, only to come back again and try next time....

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2012, 02:42:54 AM »

Roll Eyes

Selam

Truly He is risen!

Selam

Selam

In all this we are in full agreement. And I am glad that you now call me your brother.  Wink

Selam

Gebre, we are all human beings are we not, we are brothers and sisters. we are not however in agreement when it comes to the Orthodox Faith. I am sorry to say, and I have no union with how you believe in your rastafarian way. I follow the Orthodox Faith, If we were in agreement as you say, this conversation would not be happening. Re read the Thread if you have forgotten what the point of disagreement was and how important it is. Thank you.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2012, 02:47:03 AM »

Roll Eyes

Selam

Truly He is risen!

Selam

Selam

Oh Gebre, What is so surprising in the Mercifulness of God? would You be surprised to see anyone including the Devil be granted mercy were he to seek it?  for those who repent and seek mercy God is infinitely merciful. God is Love and His Mercy endures forever, may it be so you are granted that union with God my brother, may it be so for all, knowing God the union with Him will be in Truth, not in falsity. such is the Faith the Church has been entrusted with. It is not my place to say who enters the kingdom and who goes to hell, be it me or any other person. but It is my responsibility to guard and to care for , and to witness the Faith I have received with my very life if need be.

In all this we are in full agreement. And I am glad that you now call me your brother.  Wink

Selam

Gebre, we are all human beings are we not, we are brothers and sisters. we are not however in agreement when it comes to the Orthodox Faith. I am sorry to say, and I have no union with how you believe in your rastafarian way. I follow the Orthodox Faith, If we were in agreement as you say, this conversation would not be happening. Re read the Thread if you have forgotten what the point of disagreement was and how important it is. Thank you.

Well, I will treat and love you as my Orthodox sister regardless of how you choose to judge me.

When you get down and you quarrel every day
You're saying prayers to the devil I say
Why not help one another along the way
And make life much easier?

Bob Marley (Berhane Selassie)

Selam
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 02:47:43 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2012, 02:55:34 AM »

I don't get it. When did "I disagree with your point of view" become "you are judging ME"? Are you Rastafarianism, or is Rastafarianism a music-based political ideology/subculture (or whatever you think of it as) that you have adopted, and not inherently linked to Orthodox Christianity but by your insistence that they are somehow complementary?

I mean...what was Orthodoxy all about before Jamaica c. 1930s, when all this Rastafari stuff started? Before Bob Marley, even? It seems like the Rastafrian ideologies are extremely late innovations that at best obscure and distract from the true faith, and you know how Orthodoxy is about late innovations...

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2012, 03:06:27 AM »

Roll Eyes

Selam

Truly He is risen!

Selam

Selam

Oh Gebre, What is so surprising in the Mercifulness of God? would You be surprised to see anyone including the Devil be granted mercy were he to seek it?  for those who repent and seek mercy God is infinitely merciful. God is Love and His Mercy endures forever, may it be so you are granted that union with God my brother, may it be so for all, knowing God the union with Him will be in Truth, not in falsity. such is the Faith the Church has been entrusted with. It is not my place to say who enters the kingdom and who goes to hell, be it me or any other person. but It is my responsibility to guard and to care for , and to witness the Faith I have received with my very life if need be.

In all this we are in full agreement. And I am glad that you now call me your brother.  Wink

Selam

Well, I will treat and love you as my Orthodox sister regardless of how you choose to judge me.

Selam

what judges you is the heretical and blasphemous Words you have spoken in these threads in your defense of Rastafariansim Gebre and I will not repeat myself, you can read what you have wrote and what others have replied. The Truth that is God is above you and me. lie against Him then you judge yourself and no one else have to. you have successfully degraded this conversation on the Faith into a personal holiness display of sorts, how repulsive this act is. Lord have mercy.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2012, 03:36:45 AM »

I will treat and love you as my Orthodox sister regardless of how you choose to judge me.

Selam

What judges you is the heretical and blasphemous Words you have spoken in these threads in your defense of Rastafariansim Gebre and I will not repeat myself, you can read what you have wrote and what others have replied. The Truth that is God is above you and me. lie against Him then you judge yourself and no one else have to. you have successfully degraded this conversation on the Faith into a personal holiness display of sorts, how repulsive this act is. Lord have mercy.

I am content to let God judge between our words above. If I have erred on the side of loving and respecting you as my Orthodox Christian sister, then that is an error I can live with. If you erred in accidentally referring to me as your brother, then I hope that is an error that you won't regret.

Selam

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 03:41:07 AM »

I will treat and love you as my Orthodox sister regardless of how you choose to judge me.

Selam

What judges you is the heretical and blasphemous Words you have spoken in these threads in your defense of Rastafariansim Gebre and I will not repeat myself, you can read what you have wrote and what others have replied. The Truth that is God is above you and me. lie against Him then you judge yourself and no one else have to. you have successfully degraded this conversation on the Faith into a personal holiness display of sorts, how repulsive this act is. Lord have mercy.

I am content to let God judge between our words above. If I have erred on the side of loving and respecting you as my Orthodox Christian sister, then that is an error I can live with. If you erred in accidentally referring to me as your brother, then I hope that is an error that you won't regret.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 03:48:38 AM »

Selam

Selam

What more can I say other than what I have said above?

Peace and Love my sister.  Smiley

Besime Ab, WeWolde, WeMenfesQidus, Ahadu Amlak, -amen-

Selam

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2012, 04:11:35 AM »

Selam

Selam

Peace and Love my sister.  Smiley

Selam

what you can say is that the next time you try to support a rastafarian ideology you will not attempt to give it the veneer of Orthodoxy. just speak your rastafarian thoughts as they are and I will stay out of your way. is that too much to ask? do not pretend that rastafarianisim is compatible with orthodoxy. away with the egotistical comments of false piety When talking about the Faith we must talk in Truth. Orthodoxy heals the broken ego of man by transfiguring it in Christ so the New Man in Christ is capable of dying to himself and capable of True humility and Love.  these two are not compatible or similar in any way whatsoever. so while you have a right to follow rastafariansim to your heart's content but for God sake stop trying to pass it as orthodox or even remotely similar to Orthodoxy. Thank you.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2012, 04:17:48 AM »

Selam

Selam

Peace and Love my sister.  Smiley

Selam

what you can say is that the next time you try to support a rastafarian ideology you will not attempt to give it the veneer of Orthodoxy. just speak your rastafarian thoughts as they are and I will stay out of your way. is that too much to ask? do not pretend that rastafarianisim is compatible with orthodoxy. away with the egotistical comments of false piety When talking about the Faith we must talk in Truth. Orthodoxy heals the broken ego of man by transfiguring it in Christ so the New Man in Christ is capable of dying to himself and capable of True humility and Love.  these two are not compatible or similar in any way whatsoever. so while you have a right to follow rastafariansim to your heart's content but for God sake stop trying to pass it as orthodox or even remotely similar to Orthodoxy. Thank you.

I acknowledge your words above that I have highlighted in bold. I hope you will heed your own admonition. Forgive me if I have come across as falsely pious or self-righteous. I am only a sinner in need of much prayer.

Selam
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:19:51 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: