Author Topic: ‘We Are Still the Mountain’: An Interview with Chris Bohjalian  (Read 452 times)

Offline CoptoGeek

• of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
  • OC.net guru
‘We Are Still the Mountain’: An Interview with Chris Bohjalian
Posted by Tom Vartabedian on July 5, 2012

I try to remind myself of something I saw written as part of a Musa Dagh mural on a column in Anjar, Lebanon, where the survivors of Musa Dagh were resettled: “Let them come again. We are still the mountain.

http://www.armenianweekly.com/2012/07/05/we-are-still-the-mountain-an-interview-with-chris-bohjalian/
"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa

Offline CoptoGeek

• of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
  • OC.net guru
Re: ‘We Are Still the Mountain’: An Interview with Chris Bohjalian
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 12:40:42 PM »
Here's a review of the book in the WashPost

Chris Bohjalian’s ‘The Sandcastle Girls’ relives the Armenian genocide
By Eugenia Zukerman, Published: July 16

The Armenian genocide during World War I is the subject of Chris Bohjalian’s 14th novel, “The Sandcastle Girls.” Inspired by his grandparents’ background, the author explores the suffering and atrocities of that time with astounding precision, compassion and grace.

“How do a million and a half people die with nobody knowing?” ponders Laura Petrosian, the book’s modern-day narrator. The answer, she will discover, is really very simple: “You kill them in the middle of nowhere.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/chris-bohjalians-the-sandcastle-girls-relives-the-armenian-genocide/2012/07/16/gJQA1oLOpW_story.html
"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa