OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 09:04:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joint EO-OO Prayer Service  (Read 625 times) Average Rating: 0
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« on: July 06, 2012, 07:00:49 AM »

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pZF2XQR72vg

Discuss. This event happened relatively recently.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 07:02:22 AM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 07:10:55 AM »

Grin
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 12:55:20 PM »

Here's another link to the video.   For some reason, the one posted earlier played on a very small screen on my computer.  Maybe it's a problem with my computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZF2XQR72vg

Here's an article about the service:

http://www.armenianchurch-ed.net/news-details/annual-orthodox-prayer-service-held-at-st-vartan-cathedral/

From the article:

Annual Orthodox Prayer Service Held at St. Vartan Cathedral

19 October 2011

Members of the United Nations community and Orthodox Christians in the New York metro area gathered for the annual Orthodox Prayer Service and reception at St. Vartan Armenian Cathedral on Tuesday, October 18.

The evening began with a procession of clergy from the cathedral plaza to the beat of a kebero—a traditional drum used in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, which organized this year’s service. In the narthex of the cathedral, families and children welcomed the procession with dance and song.

The service was led by Archbishop Abuna Zakarias, the head of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church in the eastern and central United States. Other participating church leaders included Archbishop Demetrios, Primate of the Greek Orthodox Church in America; Bishop Savas, head of the Greek Orthodox Office of Society and Culture; and Bishop Antoun Khouri of the Antiochian Orthodox Church.

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 10:58:25 PM »

It seems that the so-called "Eastern" clergy were simply in attendance and that the service was prayed by the so-called "Orientals"?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 11:01:41 PM »

It seems that the so-called "Eastern" clergy were simply in attendance and that the service was prayed by the so-called "Orientals"?

It seems the service is lead by a different local church every year. This time it was the Ethiopians.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 11:29:30 AM »

there is a joint EO / OO day of lectures next saturday (14/7) in southampton, uk.
please pray for this exciting venture and send personal message if u are in the area and would like details.
 Smiley
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 08:01:50 PM »

there is a joint EO / OO day of lectures next saturday (14/7) in southampton, uk.
please pray for this exciting venture and send personal message if u are in the area and would like details.
 Smiley

Lord have mercy.  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 08:57:52 AM »

Smiley

Lord have mercy.  angel
--bump--

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 03:30:09 PM »

it was cool. i only managed to make half of it (quite far away) but it was nice to bump into abba seraphim again (i am trying not to actively stalk him!) and i had a warm welcome from the 2 eastern orthodox clergy members i spoke to.
i always like to hear metropolitan seraphim talk, he seems to know all the local saints personally and he understands the british culture perfectly (wish i did, but i've not been alive as long as he has, so i have time to improve!)

we had a fascinating talk from an anglican professor who has written a book on the history of Christianity in britain and ireland (michelle brown, who i didn't get to talk to, but when i got home i realised i already had her book! i thought some of the slides were familiar!) she seemed delighted to hang out with a relatively small group (i suppose about 50 people were there) of orthodox Christians and seekers. i imagine she is quite famous and gets to speak at much bigger events.

at the end, i had a lovely chat with a group of 3 EO converts who were all really new to orthodoxy (one only baptised days before) and who were active in their faith despite the language barrier. the priest is working hard on his english, and one of the converts was studying greek. their stories were in some ways similar to my own and we all encouraged each other.
i managed to restrain myself in the bookstall (it helped having only £3 on me!) and it was nice to see the church members (from different nationalities) doing their part to educate the people of britain about their faith. they even had some booklets in different languages.

i would encourage everyone to run a similar day in your parish (ideally together with other neighbouring parishes).
you just need 3 or 4 speakers, some drinks and snacks, a small collection of books and a few people willing to welcome visitors.
advertise in all the local churches (of different denominations who are interested in church history) and in the local newspaper and people will come as God draws them.

thanks to anyone who prayed - please post your events here so we can pray for you too!
 Smiley
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 03:43:44 PM »

Has there ever been any joint OO-RC services?

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 03:54:49 PM »

Has there ever been any joint OO-RC services?
Unfortunately, yes (or so I have been told). Lord have mercy!

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 05:42:12 PM »

Wrong thread
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 05:42:53 PM by Severian » Logged

Tags: unity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: