OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 08:15:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question from an Inquirer  (Read 657 times) Average Rating: 0
kiloelectronVolt

Faith: 12-Step Recovery
Jurisdiction: N/A

« on: July 06, 2012, 03:28:46 AM »

I accidentally attended my first Orthodox service on, of all mornings, Easter.  I wandered inside the church because I saw lights and the door was unlocked.  The priest greeted me and said that services would be starting shortly.  When I explained that I was not Orthodox, he invited me to have a seat.  After the service I was invited by him and a couple of others to return for the nighttime service.  I did.

I have been exploring the Orthodox Church, and tonight on a podcast I heard a priest teach that the Gospel of John is never read during any services except between Easter and Pentecost.  This is because that Gospel is for the baptised and only the baptised would be attending those particular services.

Obviously I was not baptised (not by the Orthodox Church, anyway), so here is my question: was it appropriate for me to attend the Easter services and even a couple more services before Pentecost?  

I ask because I am trying really hard not to show disrespect for the Orthodox Church while I explore it.

Interesting Note: I made it about halfway through the nighttime service and had to leave due to becoming very sick to my stomach. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 03:31:56 AM by kiloelectronVolt » Logged
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 03:38:58 AM »

and tonight on a podcast I heard a priest teach that the Gospel of John is never read during any services except between Easter and Pentecost.  This is because that Gospel is for the baptised and only the baptised would be attending those particular services.

This is quite incorrect. There are Gospel readings from St John's Gospel which are appointed for days outside the Easter-Pentecost period, notably during the Matins of Great Friday at Holy Week, and for various saints' days. There are also eleven Resurrectional Gospels which are read in sequence during Sunday Matins, on consecutive weeks - five of these are from St John's Gospel.
kiloelectronVolt

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 03:55:19 AM »

This is quite incorrect. There are Gospel readings from St John's Gospel which are appointed for days outside the Easter-Pentecost period, notably during the Matins of Great Friday at Holy Week, and for various saints' days. There are also eleven Resurrectional Gospels which are read in sequence during Sunday Matins, on consecutive weeks - five of these are from St John's Gospel.

Yes, I should have mentioned that the priest did mention that it is read during the things you just stated.  Perhaps he meant that it is not read during Divine Liturgies except between Easter and Pentecost?  Maybe I should re-listen and get my facts straight before reporting things he said, but really I'm just wondering if it was appropriate for me to attend services during the Easter season when I am not Orthodox.

Quoting tags editted - MK.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 07:11:09 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 04:07:19 AM »

No, there is no barrier to you attending any Orthodox services, whatever the time of year. The only thing you are forbidden to do while unbaptized is receive Holy Communion.

There is an ancient and venerable tradition of Great Lent being a favored period for the instruction of catechumens (those preparing for baptism), culminating in their baptism at Easter. But the Paschal period is not off-limits to the unbaptized. Indeed, this liturgical period contains much that is rich and beneficial for those seeking entry into the Church. The great feasts of the Ascension and Pentecost fall during this period; their teachings are very edifying to newcomers.
kiloelectronVolt

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 04:09:26 AM »

Thank you!
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 04:15:00 AM »

Happy to help.  Smiley
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 11:32:40 AM »

I accidentally attended my first Orthodox service on, of all mornings, Easter.  I wandered inside the church because I saw lights and the door was unlocked.  The priest greeted me and said that services would be starting shortly.  When I explained that I was not Orthodox, he invited me to have a seat.

Welcome to OC.net kiloelectronVolt!

While I am not Orthodox please allow me to point out accidents are not always accidental!  Wink

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 12:09:12 PM »

Welcome to the forum, kiloelectronVolt!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 12:19:45 PM »

Welcome!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
kiloelectronVolt

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 08:43:52 PM »

Haha!  You make a valid observation, Alan.  Thank you for it, and thank you, Ben and Liza, for your warm welcomes. 
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 08:45:29 PM »

Kilo, that's a pretty cool name. Are you an electrician?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
kiloelectronVolt

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 10:29:23 PM »

No, I'm not.  I can't even install a ceiling fan.  My name is Kevin, Kev for short.  One day I found 'keV' in the dictionary and discovered that I'm an abbreviation.

Now you know mine, so what about yours?  What's biro, and what's a Melopsittacus undulatus?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 10:30:39 PM by kiloelectronVolt » Logged
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 10:37:49 PM »

As long as you are willing to accept and follow any rules provided to you inside the church, I have never heard of any visitor being unwelcome.  Attend as much as you like.  It sounds as if the priest is very approachable, in the event you have any future questions.
kiloelectronVolt

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 11:05:49 PM »

As long as you are willing to accept and follow any rules provided to you inside the church, I have never heard of any visitor being unwelcome.  Attend as much as you like.  It sounds as if the priest is very approachable, in the event you have any future questions.

That's good to know, Kerdy.  The priest is very friendly and approachable, and seems very wise and knowledgeable.  I trust him and I trust God.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 01:37:04 PM »

No, I'm not.  I can't even install a ceiling fan.  My name is Kevin, Kev for short.  One day I found 'keV' in the dictionary and discovered that I'm an abbreviation.

Now you know mine, so what about yours?  What's biro, and what's a Melopsittacus undulatus?

A biro is a ballpoint pen. A melopsittacus undulatus is a parakeet.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: