OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:22:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: anyone tired of explaining themselves?  (Read 2135 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 05, 2012, 09:49:34 PM »

Are there any other converts who have dealt with the following?  If so, what helped you deal with it?

I have some friends who arent super comfortable with my conversion.  I have an episcopalian buddy in particular who isnt cool with it.  Hes one of my best friends, who I dont get to see very often anymore, but when we do hang out, we always have the best conversations.  Hes super smart and knows his stuff too when it comes to Church history, theology, etc.  Obviously, we have some disagreements, but why do I have to be the one whos pinned down answering all the questions?  Its not just him.  It happens with family too.  Its like we have to explain why we do the things we do. Example: "why do you have confession? thats not in the Bible..."

I dont respond harshly or hatefully, but it starts to wear on you a little bit.  I just wanna say, "No... why dont YOU answer ME this!! Why dont you have confession anymore?"

Anyone dealt with this?  Do I just need to suck it up and get used to it?  I dont mean to sound like a jerk.  Just need to vent and make sure im not the only one out there whos ever felt like this.

Pray for me.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 09:52:17 PM »

Timon, I'm just curious -- why would an episcopalian, of all people, be critical of your conversion?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 10:10:41 PM »

Your guess is as good as mine.

This particular friend is one that I grew up in the same evangelical church with.  We were in a band together and all that.  Still one of my best friends.  When I first told him that I wanted to convert, I thought he would be pumped for me because I know hes into theology and all that too.  (The college he went to had a pretty Roman Catholic leaning, so he tends to side with them when it comes to the RC or Orthodox...) 

In college, he and some friends had a little "communion mass" they would do by themselves on wednesdays before class.  It wasnt actually a Catholic school, so there werent priests or anything.  However, 2 people from that group did convert to RC.  They were excited, but the rest of their friends were kind of upset about it because they were leaving communion with them and they had always taken communion together.  My guess would be that he wouldnt want me to convert because he wouldnt want me to leave communion.  Personally, I dont see why its a big deal.  We live in different states now.  And it also doesnt help that hes more sympathetic to the RC than OC.  Dont know why... guess we interpret history differently.  He is smarter than me though.

But like I said, thats just one example that sticks out.  It happens with others too though. 

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 10:35:24 PM »

The triumphalism in me was very tiring after awhile. I just keep religion to myself at this point, because I swear everytime it is brought up it becomes into an argument.

Mormons are the worst to talk to about religion.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 10:36:51 PM »

This particular friend is one that I grew up in the same evangelical church with.  We were in a band together and all that.  Still one of my best friends.  When I first told him that I wanted to convert, I thought he would be pumped for me because I know hes into theology and all that too.  (The college he went to had a pretty Roman Catholic leaning, so he tends to side with them when it comes to the RC or Orthodox...) 

In college, he and some friends had a little "communion mass" they would do by themselves on wednesdays before class.  It wasnt actually a Catholic school, so there werent priests or anything.  However, 2 people from that group did convert to RC.  They were excited, but the rest of their friends were kind of upset about it because they were leaving communion with them and they had always taken communion together.  My guess would be that he wouldnt want me to convert because he wouldnt want me to leave communion.  Personally, I dont see why its a big deal.  We live in different states now.  And it also doesnt help that hes more sympathetic to the RC than OC.  Dont know why... guess we interpret history differently.  He is smarter than me though.

But like I said, thats just one example that sticks out.  It happens with others too though. 

If it's any consolation, he sounds like a theological basketcase.

I'm sorry for the stresses you are experiencing. I can't imagine being in your position.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 10:38:36 PM »

Some people have been more accepting of my conversion than others- and it's usually the ones I was expecting to be more sympathetic that tend to be more critical. What surprises me is the violence of the disagreements- one person actually ended up screaming at the top of his lungs regarding Orthodox practices, and not out of any reaction to my own tone or any particular smugness in my explanation, just due to the vehemence they had to the very idea that someone might sincerely believe in something other than the standard Evangelical line (this particular person is also known to scream over disagreements in political policy- I heard him loudly berate someone for voting for a different candidate in the Republican primaries- so I suppose the violent disagreements over religion shouldn't be too surprising).

I think a big part of the reason Orthodox converts tend to be on the defensive is that we (as a Church) are so rarely on the offensive. Our entire "mission plan" tends to revolve more on living an Orthodox life than preaching Orthodoxy to one and all.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 10:41:53 PM »

I think a big part of the reason Orthodox converts tend to be on the defensive is that we (as a Church) are so rarely on the offensive. Our entire "mission plan" tends to revolve more on living an Orthodox life than preaching Orthodoxy to one and all.
That's pretty much it. I was tired of always been on the defensive about my faith. But wow at your story though. I try to calm down any debate/argument if I forsee it becoming a shouting match.

Once it did with a Mormon. Seriously it took every fiber of my being not to create a physical altercation against him. I've never encountered ignorance that was so detestable and somebody who was acting defensive to the point of resorting to ad hominems.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 10:45:55 PM »

The triumphalism in me was very tiring after awhile. I just keep religion to myself at this point, because I swear everytime it is brought up it becomes into an argument.

I actually do the same thing.  But when the discussions do come up, thats when I deal with this stuff.  I never start the discussions, but theres just a certain vibe out there.  Its like im wrong and therefore need to explain myself.  If anything, its the other way around, but I dont think I could ever say that to anyone.  So why do people say it to me?

Oh i know.  They come to my door.  Once I told em they were just another one of the thousands of branches of protestantism to me...  Probably wasnt the nicest thing, but they interrupted my Sunday afternoon football watching/nap time.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 10:47:02 PM »

If it's any consolation, he sounds like a theological basketcase.

I'm sorry for the stresses you are experiencing. I can't imagine being in your position.

I just want to ask him why hes a member of a Church that so blatantly disregards 2000 years of Catholic tradition. 

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 10:49:34 PM »

I had a friend who I thought would be the most aggressively against me converting who has in fact turned out to be the one who asks the most honest, sincere questions. This guy is normally a bulldog for Calvinism, but the hardest thing he has asked me was, "Practically speaking, what do you get out of Orthodoxy?"

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 10:51:48 PM »

I don't talk about my faith. I practice it as quietly as possible, and when someone asks me about it, I answer their question and go no further. If anyone becomes argumentative, I brush it off and walk away, making it clear that I'm happy to explain but I won't debate. People catch on quickly, and either just keeping asking questions instead of trying to debate or just leave it alone. I'm fine with that.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 10:53:55 PM »

I actually do the same thing.  But when the discussions do come up, thats when I deal with this stuff.  I never start the discussions, but theres just a certain vibe out there.  Its like im wrong and therefore need to explain myself.  If anything, its the other way around, but I dont think I could ever say that to anyone.  So why do people say it to me?

Wait you mean why do they call you out on supposedly being wrong?

Oh i know.  They come to my door.  Once I told em they were just another one of the thousands of branches of protestantism to me...  Probably wasnt the nicest thing, but they interrupted my Sunday afternoon football watching/nap time.
I have yet to meet a single Mormon who hasn't been brainwashed and those that aren't later disband from the Mormon church.

Seriously if there is one religion I despise with a passion it's that one. That same guy I was talking about claimed his Christ was the same as mine, and that's when we got into it.

It's amazing how fabricated their piousness is and that charade of being such a nice family is such a farce. I can't even count the numerous times they shun away their own family members.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 10:55:59 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 10:54:03 PM »

That's pretty much it. I was tired of always been on the defensive about my faith. But wow at your story though. I try to calm down any debate/argument if I forsee it becoming a shouting match.
Unfortunately, some people can't be calmed down- they are so certain that they are right that any disagreement means you have to be either lying or stupid.

Oh i know.  They come to my door.  Once I told em they were just another one of the thousands of branches of protestantism to me...  Probably wasnt the nicest thing, but they interrupted my Sunday afternoon football watching/nap time.

Nicer than some of my stock replies. A particularly persistent Mormon, upon my telling him I wasn't interested, asked "Well, have you ever read the book of Mormon?"

"Yes. It's the most boring sci-fi ever."

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 10:57:26 PM »

Unfortunately, some people can't be calmed down- they are so certain that they are right that any disagreement means you have to be either lying or stupid.
You know I really do thank God I am not around the evangelical fundamentalists. I would lose my mind, if it's not already lost by now.

Nicer than some of my stock replies. A particularly persistent Mormon, upon my telling him I wasn't interested, asked "Well, have you ever read the book of Mormon?"

"Yes. It's the most boring sci-fi ever."
The most boring plagarised sci-fi ever.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 11:04:12 PM »

Thats a good point.  Also, people in the states just arent as familiar with Orthodoxy.  I think when they see something so different than what theyre used to, it automatically raises a red flag.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 11:10:07 PM »

I don't talk about my faith. I practice it as quietly as possible, and when someone asks me about it, I answer their question and go no further. If anyone becomes argumentative, I brush it off and walk away, making it clear that I'm happy to explain but I won't debate. People catch on quickly, and either just keeping asking questions instead of trying to debate or just leave it alone. I'm fine with that.

I think this is the best way to handle it.  And I actually have gotten better about this. 

And to clarify to everyone once again, I dont argue or fight with people about it.... anymore.  Ha.  Ive gotten really good about just keeping it to myself but it is still frustrating how people seem to assume that were wrong.  (at least thats what it seems sometimes...)

Im perfectly willing to admit that this may still be an attitude issue on my side that I still need to work on.  So if anyone else has dealt with this before and thinks thats it, then please tell me!

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 11:15:23 PM »

I actually do the same thing.  But when the discussions do come up, thats when I deal with this stuff.  I never start the discussions, but theres just a certain vibe out there.  Its like im wrong and therefore need to explain myself.  If anything, its the other way around, but I dont think I could ever say that to anyone.  So why do people say it to me?

Wait you mean why do they call you out on supposedly being wrong?

Yes

— Chrysostom

BLOG
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 11:19:05 PM »

Thats a good point.  Also, people in the states just arent as familiar with Orthodoxy.  I think when they see something so different than what theyre used to, it automatically raises a red flag.

That is one thing I've never understood. I can understand the confusion that the Orthodox Church has "denominations" and I can understand the confusion that the Orthodox Church has a "pope" in Constantinople. What I don't get is how Orthodoxy is "so different" than anything else. Certainly it is worlds away from the standard Evangelical cross-denominational services (a few hymns, pass the plate, read a little Bible verse, long sermon, altar call) and there is more pageantry than the lower-church mainline groups. But I've never really seen how Orthodox practice is all that different from the liturgies of the Lutherans, Anglicans (and especially the higher church variants of the two), and Roman Catholics.

Aside from that, the theology is the same, minus a hyper-juridical soteriology. The ecclesiology can be a little slippery at first- one keeps expecting either rigid Roman hierarchy or gooey Anglican fudge only to find that it is softer than the one yet harder than the other. And there is worlds more depth to explore, but a quick glance at Orthodoxy certainly doesn't reveal that. But "different"? In a country where you still have snake handlers and Oneness Pentecostals I have never seen how Orthodoxy could be the one labeled "strange".

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 11:22:55 PM »

Are there any other converts who have dealt with the following?  If so, what helped you deal with it?

I have some friends who arent super comfortable with my conversion.  I have an episcopalian buddy in particular who isnt cool with it.  Hes one of my best friends, who I dont get to see very often anymore, but when we do hang out, we always have the best conversations.  Hes super smart and knows his stuff too when it comes to Church history, theology, etc.  Obviously, we have some disagreements, but why do I have to be the one whos pinned down answering all the questions?  Its not just him.  It happens with family too.  Its like we have to explain why we do the things we do. Example: "why do you have confession? thats not in the Bible..."

I dont respond harshly or hatefully, but it starts to wear on you a little bit.  I just wanna say, "No... why dont YOU answer ME this!! Why dont you have confession anymore?"

Anyone dealt with this?  Do I just need to suck it up and get used to it?  I dont mean to sound like a jerk.  Just need to vent and make sure im not the only one out there whos ever felt like this.

Pray for me.
It can be difficult.  The easiest way I found to deal with it is simply to say, “My priest can explain it better than I can and I am too new to try to help you understand.”

My normal reply when asked why I converted is to say this:

Suppose you really believed something, anything, it really doesn’t matter, but one day someone proves to you that you have always been wrong and displays what you consider to be indisputable evidence to support his claim and reveal yours to be faulty.  Will you still believe or will you alter your views to match the evidence?  You would believe the truth, right?  Well, that is what happened to me.  Enough proof was provided for me to, as uncomfortable as it was, to see the truth and accept it.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 11:26:45 PM »

Pray for me.

Ask them questions.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 11:26:55 PM »

That is one thing I've never understood. I can understand the confusion that the Orthodox Church has "denominations" and I can understand the confusion that the Orthodox Church has a "pope" in Constantinople. What I don't get is how Orthodoxy is "so different" than anything else. Certainly it is worlds away from the standard Evangelical cross-denominational services (a few hymns, pass the plate, read a little Bible verse, long sermon, altar call) and there is more pageantry than the lower-church mainline groups. But I've never really seen how Orthodox practice is all that different from the liturgies of the Lutherans, Anglicans (and especially the higher church variants of the two), and Roman Catholics.

Aside from that, the theology is the same, minus a hyper-juridical soteriology. The ecclesiology can be a little slippery at first- one keeps expecting either rigid Roman hierarchy or gooey Anglican fudge only to find that it is softer than the one yet harder than the other. And there is worlds more depth to explore, but a quick glance at Orthodoxy certainly doesn't reveal that. But "different"? In a country where you still have snake handlers and Oneness Pentecostals I have never seen how Orthodoxy could be the one labeled "strange".

Agreed.  A lot of the people that Im friends with, excluding my episcopalian friend here, attend churches without a formal liturgy.  Its more like 3 rock songs, (and the big churches here pay good bands, so the music, for what it is, sounds good) a 45 min sermon, some announcements, then leave.  And if theyre kicking off a new sermon series, there may be a funny video or something between the band and sermon.  These churches have staff positions like "producers", "directors", etc.  Also people riding fancy cameras.  haha.

So being compared to that, yes Orthodoxy looks extremely different.  But the Anglican Church I used to attend pretty much wishes it was Orthodox.  It doesnt look much different.  Its certainly not much different theologically.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 11:27:58 PM »

Pray for me.

Ask them questions.

Simple, yet wise.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 11:28:41 PM »

Suppose you really believed something, anything, it really doesn’t matter, but one day someone proves to you that you have always been wrong and displays what you consider to be indisputable evidence to support his claim and reveal yours to be faulty.  Will you still believe or will you alter your views to match the evidence?  You would believe the truth, right?  Well, that is what happened to me.  Enough proof was provided for me to, as uncomfortable as it was, to see the truth and accept it.

Yup.  Thats accurate too.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 11:48:24 PM »

It becomes really tiring. Why should we have to be on the defensive? For crying out loud, we are the original Church! I should be asking them why they don't venerate Ikons or don't worship liturgically! The worst are Mormons and Evangelical Protestants. Well, actually the Evangelical Protestants. I consider Mormonism to be a strange Evangelical offshoot of Protestantism.

I think the problem is that these Churches are so casual and modern that people immediately judge any liturgical Church as being evil or polluted by the 'traditions of man', which, I find rather strange. How can you accuse us of being weird when you have Pentecostals rolling on the floor speaking gibberish like they are schizophrenic or something?

I notice that ironically when it comes to theology, people are more open to Orthodoxy about these elements then they are about the externals. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't they be less concerned about the externals and more so about the theology? But from what I have observed, they aren't. Other than Sola Scripture, most American Evangelical Christians don't give a heck about theology and will listen to the Orthodox perspective. Sola Scriptura is pretty much the only theological position that they will not abandon.

I've noticed that if I discuss Orthodox theology with Evangelicals before precisely explaining to them that I am Orthodox, they seem fascinated by it and we do not run into many problems until it comes to Sola Scriptura. They're not even as dogmatic about 'faith-alone' salvation anymore from what I have observed. But, the moment they find out I am Orthodox and see that it is liturgical, they immediately go on the offensive and see Orthodoxy as a strange cult that 'worships idols' and makes us act liturgical in Church.

This is not just with Orthodoxy. Every liturgical Church suffers from this no matter what their theology is like. Other than Sola Scriptura and Faith Alone salvation, Protestantism is much more similar to Roman Catholicism than they would like to admit. Except, America has become so anti-Roman Catholic that people immediately hate the Roman Catholic Church because of the liturgical elements of worship. Hell, I've even met Protestants that see Lutheranism as being evil because it is semi-liturgical even though they practically have the same theology and they are the ones who started Protestantism!

Only non-liturgical Christians give me problems about my Orthodoxy, like the standard American Evangelical Protestant/Baptist, whereas I have never had any problems with any liturgical type of Christian whether they were Roman Catholic, Lutheran or Anglican/Episcopian. In fact, many of them seem to be even closer to me the moment I tell them that I am Orthodox. It is like they find it more comforting knowing that they are around another liturgical Christian and don't have to worry about having their religion bashed like they would by a non-liturgical Christian. Heck, in many instances I find myself in the presence of both Roman Catholics and Lutherans and all of us are laughing at contemporary, non-liturgical forms of Christianity. We're all a minority so we all get along pretty well.

The only thing that sometimes bothers me about other liturgical Christians is the false Ecumenism I see among some Roman Catholics. My best friend's father being an example. We love to laugh at Protestantism together and bash Reformed theology and practices (rudely in front of his Reformed daughter) but then he also goes on to say that me and him are the same and that EOs and RCs are really no different at all and that we could worship together and take Communion together. And the entire time I am thinking in my head that while we are more similar with each other than we are Protestantism, there are still some significant issues that need to be addressed before we are really 'the same' and can take Communion together.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
britgirl
I'm a smarmy college student.

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Antiochian?

إسمي عائشة وأنا طالبة في جامعة :)

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 02:23:13 AM »

It becomes really tiring. Why should we have to be on the defensive? For crying out loud, we are the original Church! I should be asking them why they don't venerate Ikons or don't worship liturgically! The worst are Mormons and Evangelical Protestants. Well, actually the Evangelical Protestants. I consider Mormonism to be a strange Evangelical offshoot of Protestantism.

I think the problem is that these Churches are so casual and modern that people immediately judge any liturgical Church as being evil or polluted by the 'traditions of man', which, I find rather strange. How can you accuse us of being weird when you have Pentecostals rolling on the floor speaking gibberish like they are schizophrenic or something?

It's not really up to us to berate people with our faith. The reason so many people dislike Christianity across all its interpretations is because of attitudes of the faithful in their pride are simply off-putting. When you put down or laugh at one sect within Christianity, you're not doing the entire religion any favors. It's just another reason for those who do not believe to distance themselves further and you certainly don't make those outside the fold of Orthodoxy feel as if Orthodoxy is any different from the other sects in terms of pride. How is your attitude any different from those that you're criticizing?
We believe we're right. That should be enough.  Someone can tell you all day long that Communion is only symbolic, one must wear blessed underwear or speaking in tongues is a gift of the Spirit to which that everyone on the planet is entitled, but at the end of the day, such open derision on our part is not only useless, it's damaging. We do not need to cause pain on another Christian's part in order to prove our belief in Jesus is correct.
I've not met a person yet who's been converted because they were told that they were acting like a schizophrenic in their belief of communication with God or anything of the like.

My advice to the OP is to do your best to disengage conversations like that. Religion's private--simple as that. If you don't want to discuss it, don't feel compelled to, especially if people are going after you in a spirit of anger or hate. You have the right to tell people "no, I do not want to discuss my personal beliefs with you. I respect your opinions, but I disagree with you." End of discussion. My mother (who is in the charismatic movement) will put her beliefs out there as fact and I've long since learned not to engage with it, even when asked my opinion. It always ends up with my faith berated and my mother's pride hugely inflated and both of us angry. Not worth it. I choose to live my life as an example and that is more than enough.

"Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established." - Proverbs 16:3

"There never was a good war or a bad peace." --Ben Franklin

يا ربّ ارحم

It ain't me talking fast, it's just you listening slow.

International Relations: Middle East/Africa; Muslim Studies (B.A. 2014)
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 02:36:33 AM »

Why should we have to be on the defensive?

Good question. Why would you choose to be defensive? (and yes, it is a choice--a bad one).

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 03:08:13 AM »

Same for me...
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 03:14:11 AM »

And that's what I swore to do.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 03:15:14 AM »

This is probably a dumb thing to say, but...if you don't like doing that, then why not stop doing that? St. Peter tells us that we must be prepared to give a defense for the hope that is within us, but I wouldn't think that this means to be defensive in the arguing sense, since the tail end of that verse (1 Peter 3:15) tells us to be meek about it. So why not calmly say your piece and leave the naysayers to their naysaying? Believe me, there are many, many (many!) times in which I am very tempted to react defensively to negative reactions to my faith (especially when they come from people like my own father, because Orthodoxy conflicts with the anti-Christian cult he is in...Lord have mercy), but whenever I have done so, I've always been the loser as a result. Just keep doing what you're doing, pray for those who unfairly malign you and the faith, and move on. It's hard, it may feel like you're being weak-willed or otherwise not standing up for the truth, but in many instances it is the best thing to do (and if you're anything like me, when you're dealing with people close to you you have to be reminded that you are not the best judge of when you should abandon this principle!). Shake the dust from your feet and move on. Prayer is always better than argument.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 03:15:49 AM by dzheremi » Logged

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 03:16:49 AM »

I'd like to be on the defensive once in a while, but no one I know really cares what denomination you are as long as you're Christian.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 03:26:27 AM »

Ironically, all of my friends are staunch atheists, except two who are Muslims. I never had an argument with these two ; but with the atheists, I did... And I knew before it even starts that it would be a fruitless "debate"... I mean, he will never make me change about Christianity, nor I will make him change about his atheism... so it's pointless ; that's why I try to avoid debate as much as possible... or I just end a potential debate by a simple answer and I clearly say that the following debate would be fruitless for both of us.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 03:27:03 AM by WeldeMikael » Logged
truthseeker32
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 03:54:36 AM »

It may be because I am a former Mormon, but the worst experiences I ever had discussing religion have been with fundamentalist evangelical Christians.
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 03:58:56 AM »

It's hard, it may feel like you're being weak-willed or otherwise not standing up for the truth

It teaches you humility too  Cheesy
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2012, 04:11:50 AM »

It may be because I am a former Mormon, but the worst experiences I ever had discussing religion have been with fundamentalist evangelical Christians.
I'm just one state away from their Mecca. I don't hear too many fundamentalist evangelical Christians, thank God.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2012, 07:15:31 AM »

There is something else to consider.  Sometimes, though it may be rare, the person asking questions is actually seeking answers.  They may sense something is amiss in their current denomination and in their heart, have a longing for the Church.  At first they may seem harsh, but time will tell.  I know I was once one of these people and went looking for the Apostolic Church with no idea where to find her.  The patience and kindness of Orthodox Christians was a blessing.
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2012, 10:03:42 AM »

There is something else to consider.  Sometimes, though it may be rare, the person asking questions is actually seeking answers.  They may sense something is amiss in their current denomination and in their heart, have a longing for the Church.  At first they may seem harsh, but time will tell.  I know I was once one of these people and went looking for the Apostolic Church with no idea where to find her.  The patience and kindness of Orthodox Christians was a blessing.

This is true.  I have discussed with a couple people who are genuinely asking questions.  I have a friend whos evangelical, but hes pretty open minded when it comes to this sort of thing.  Weve had calm, civil, fruitful discussions before.  When I think of my in-laws though, its not the same.  A couple years ago when I first realized I wasnt a protestant, something about the RC church came up in discussion with them.  As baptists, they arent huge fans of Catholics, but I was quick to defend the Catholics at that point bc I thought I might become one.  Now, I havent even told them about my conversion to Orthodoxy yet because I dont feel Im ready.  I need to get even better about responding gently to questions or attacks before I tell them.  Ha!

But even when I was defending Catholics... Why do baptists think that Catholics owe them an explanation?

After sleeping on all of this, I think I need to continue to work on my own heart.  I guess I should be glad that people are asking me about Orthodoxy, even if it is at times in a condescending way.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2012, 10:21:53 AM »

Just in response to your first posting, I find it laughable that an Episcopalian talks about what isnt in the bible.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2012, 10:27:12 AM »

Just in response to your first posting, I find it laughable that an Episcopalian talks about what isnt in the bible.

PP

To clarify, the confession example didnt come from my episcopalian friend.  I think hes pretty pro-confession.  But thats a common criticism I hear from orther evangelicals or family members.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2012, 03:28:49 PM »

That's weird because they seem almost identical to each other at least in terms of externals. They are both heavy right-wingers, dream of rural, 19th century America, see liturgical Christianity as being evil and allow a single book to govern their faith. Both are annoying and aggressively trying to convert people etc.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2012, 03:29:33 PM »

PP

To clarify, the confession example didnt come from my episcopalian friend.  I think hes pretty pro-confession.  But thats a common criticism I hear from orther evangelicals or family members.

Sad for them because Confession is in fact in the Bible.

Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2012, 03:51:33 PM »

Ask him why he's in the same church as John Shelby spong, that might do something.

Thank you.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2012, 04:31:25 PM »

To clarify, the confession example didnt come from my episcopalian friend.  I think hes pretty pro-confession.  But thats a common criticism I hear from orther evangelicals or family members
Oh, sorry. My bad Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
wayseer
Disciple

Faith: No longer Anglican

- a student

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2012, 03:32:12 AM »

I just want to ask him why hes a member of a Church that so blatantly disregards 2000 years of Catholic tradition. 

The short answer - politics. 

We can get into all sorts of arguments about what is 'in', or not 'in', the Bible.  For instance, the Trinity is not 'in' the Bible,  Crossing oneself is not 'in' the Bible. If you want to follow this line of thinking to any depth you need to study the patristic fathers.  They argued over this stuff and it's been done to death - literally in many cases. 

The point is - you should follow you own lead from the Holy Spirit and not worry too much about what others may say. 

Not all those who wander are lost.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2012, 08:55:55 AM »

This is true.  I have discussed with a couple people who are genuinely asking questions.  I have a friend whos evangelical, but hes pretty open minded when it comes to this sort of thing.  Weve had calm, civil, fruitful discussions before.  When I think of my in-laws though, its not the same.  A couple years ago when I first realized I wasnt a protestant, something about the RC church came up in discussion with them.  As baptists, they arent huge fans of Catholics, but I was quick to defend the Catholics at that point bc I thought I might become one.  Now, I havent even told them about my conversion to Orthodoxy yet because I dont feel Im ready.  I need to get even better about responding gently to questions or attacks before I tell them.  Ha!

But even when I was defending Catholics... Why do baptists think that Catholics owe them an explanation?

After sleeping on all of this, I think I need to continue to work on my own heart.  I guess I should be glad that people are asking me about Orthodoxy, even if it is at times in a condescending way.

I should add it will be clear in a short period of time (mostly likely) if the person is seriously interested (even if they don’t know it yet) or if they are simply being combative.  If they are just trying to argue, disengage.  Far more than not will and it just isn’t worth it.  Many Protestants just want to prove you are wrong.  It can be difficult to tell at first which is which; however, in all things be obedient to God.
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2012, 09:05:33 AM »

Obey God and stay true to the traditions. With that, all discussions can be done in a honourable way.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: