OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 06:00:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A lurking curiosity...  (Read 1048 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: July 06, 2012, 11:26:34 PM »

Do all of you act as theologically erudite outside of this forum as well?

I'd love to encounter an Orthodox layman that has alot of knowledge like many of you.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 11:33:11 PM »

I don't know whether you consider me "theologically erudite," but to the extent that I am that here, I think I am more or less everywhere. I do talk about theology with anyone who'll listen...

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 11:35:18 PM »

I like to talk about it a lot too, but im kind of an idiot who doesnt really know what im talking about.  Im still learning to just be quiet.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 11:39:54 PM »

So do you guys have conversations on a daily/weekly/monthly basis with people about Orthodoxy and the deeper parts of the faith? I wish I had a friend I could talk to IRL about it but my parish is so small and alot of older people.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 12:03:38 AM »

Do all of you act as theologically erudite outside of this forum as well?

I'd love to encounter an Orthodox layman that has alot of knowledge like many of you.

Depends on what you mean.  I don't normally go around talking about theological issues, but when I'm with someone interesting, I don't mind bringing up some point or another and holding a discussion on it. 

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 12:10:59 AM »

So do you guys have conversations on a daily/weekly/monthly basis with people about Orthodoxy and the deeper parts of the faith? I wish I had a friend I could talk to IRL about it but my parish is so small and alot of older people.

I actually used to quite frequently.  It was great.  Really helped reinforce that we were trying to live the faith.  Comparing and explaining readings, talking about difficulties, hang-ups, etc.  I thought it was very helpful.  I'm sure some of our resident trolls would think that's rather like a hip Evango Bible Study.  I don't think it was, but I wouldn't know. 

If I'm not serious about the faith and engaging it regularly, it's a waste of my time.

Alas, the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.  No mas on that front, and my faith has suffered, in part, because of it.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 12:19:44 AM »

That's great Cognomen but sorry to hear it has affected your faith. I really would like a friend who is supportive and we can help each other in living the faith.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 12:25:25 AM »

That's great Cognomen but sorry to hear it has affected your faith.

Thanks.  Hopefully things will improve on that front. 

I really would like a friend who is supportive and we can help each other in living the faith.

At least from my experience, I can't recommend it enough.  Obviously that may not be so helpful, as its more difficult for some to find a good one.  There are some great people on this website, but it just can't compare.  Similarly, some parishes are just limited in that regard.  That said, it took me some time to find my friend at my last parish.  Hold out hope!

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 12:31:57 AM »

It really doesn't compare sadly, don't get me wrong I love everyone here but there is much more of a comaderie.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 12:38:53 AM »

I can talk spiritual, look spiritual, and write spritual sounding pontifications online; but when my character and Christian faith are truly tested, then I am exposed as the tin man that I truly am.

Selam
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:39:38 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »

but when my character and Christian faith are truly tested, then I am exposed as the tin man that I truly am.

That's a shame.  Hard for me to empathize with summat like that.   Wink  I'll queue up behind you, if you don't mind.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 12:42:13 AM »

I can talk spiritual, look spiritual, and write spritual sounding pontifications online; but when my character and Christian faith are truly tested, then I am exposed as the tin man that I truly am.

Selam
Can you flesh this out more please?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 12:50:09 AM »

I spent about 5 minutes explaining to my brother a few weeks ago that I haven't converted to Judaism. Does that count?

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 01:06:21 AM »

It really doesn't compare sadly, don't get me wrong I love everyone here but there is much more of a comaderie.

Have you tried your priest?  Depending on his personality and time, he may enjoy a parishioner who is interested in discussing theology beyond the very basic.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 03:56:24 AM »

Selam

I am going through some difficulties right now, all due to my own sins and failures. Here's what I penned the other day. The rest must be fleshed out in Confession (if I truly have the faith to do so.)

What do I do when the moment of truth comes, when I’m all alone- with God or sin as my only choice? I can do well when surrounded by love and support, goodness and strength. But who am I really, behind my words and exhortations, behind my pontifications and righteous rhetoric? I have failed every spiritual test that truly matters; I have forsaken Christ at every crossroad; I have spurned truth and chased lies; I have conveyed wisdom while becoming a fool. I look in the mirror and wonder whether I see a struggling Christian or the antichrist himself. I am worse than the godless, for they neither pretend to be virtuous nor presume to teach others. But I have created a façade of spirituality, an outward garment of godliness that cloaks a spirit of defilement and sin. The evils that I thought I had conquered continue to conquer me time and again. My fasting is in vain, and my prayers are hollow cries to a God who knows me all too well. Why do I forsake the love of Christ for that which only torments my soul? I inevitably hurt the people I love the most. I lead others to believe in me, only to disappoint them in the end. So, please take every word I write with a grain of salt. Assume that I am a fool, and test all my opinions and views by the truth of Christ and His Church. Perhaps I may be right about a few things, but I am too often wrong in the actions of my own life. What good are wise words from a fool’s lips?

But in spite of these realities, I know and cling to these greater truths: God loves mankind; His mercy endureth forever; and the Cross conquers all sin. This is the greatest miracle I know. (At least I try hard to believe this.)

Pray for me, a sinner.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 04:27:42 AM »

Selam

I am going through some difficulties right now, all due to my own sins and failures. Here's what I penned the other day. The rest must be fleshed out in Confession (if I truly have the faith to do so.)

What do I do when the moment of truth comes, when I’m all alone- with God or sin as my only choice? I can do well when surrounded by love and support, goodness and strength. But who am I really, behind my words and exhortations, behind my pontifications and righteous rhetoric? I have failed every spiritual test that truly matters; I have forsaken Christ at every crossroad; I have spurned truth and chased lies; I have conveyed wisdom while becoming a fool. I look in the mirror and wonder whether I see a struggling Christian or the antichrist himself. I am worse than the godless, for they neither pretend to be virtuous nor presume to teach others. But I have created a façade of spirituality, an outward garment of godliness that cloaks a spirit of defilement and sin. The evils that I thought I had conquered continue to conquer me time and again. My fasting is in vain, and my prayers are hollow cries to a God who knows me all too well. Why do I forsake the love of Christ for that which only torments my soul? I inevitably hurt the people I love the most. I lead others to believe in me, only to disappoint them in the end. So, please take every word I write with a grain of salt. Assume that I am a fool, and test all my opinions and views by the truth of Christ and His Church. Perhaps I may be right about a few things, but I am too often wrong in the actions of my own life. What good are wise words from a fool’s lips?

But in spite of these realities, I know and cling to these greater truths: God loves mankind; His mercy endureth forever; and the Cross conquers all sin. This is the greatest miracle I know. (At least I try hard to believe this.)

Pray for me, a sinner.

Selam

Wow, not to be sentimental, but that was a very moving, Gebre. Thank you for your honesty and I will pray for you.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 09:29:58 AM »

I used to spend a lot of time discussing faith with co-workers, friends, and family, but over the last couple of years I have become somewhat of a recluse, not sure why.  I actually did bring up the subject of death with a friend yesterday.  It was a short conversation attempted to plant a seed to get him thinking.  What I have found is it is easier to talk in depth in this type of forum as it provides time to reflect on your answers and adjust them as you see fit.  In person, it’s all off the cuff, which can cause hesitation.  I do miss a former co-worker who was Roman Catholic.  We would spend many hours discussing religion and faith.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 10:24:59 AM »

The only person I talk to about theology outside this forum is my therapist. The only person I talk to outside this forum is my therapist.  Cheesy
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 12:16:56 PM »

Selam

Pray for me, a sinner.

Selam
Salam,

While I am not Orthodox I hope you welcome not only my prayer but my love and appreciation for what you just wrote. Surely you must realize you are not alone! I just finished reading a sermon that by God’s grace forced me to look at myself in similar light. IMHO it is the actual participation of the Living God that reveals these things for us to struggle through and progress on in our journey. God will never abandon us brother if we seek Him in truth and humility right? Truth is what I just read from a man with courage and how could this be written without humility I ask.

Pray for me too for I am a repenting sinner and a fool. You are not alone!

May Lord God Jesus Christ have mercy upon us and continue to refine us into who we are created to be.

Much Love!

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 02:20:46 PM »

i talk theology with a lot of people.  Sometimes even deeper theology...

Sometimes they just end up looking at me funny.  Tongue

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 03:20:12 PM »

...and alot of older people.

The older people are the best to talk to about this type of stuff! They always seem so wise and full of wisdom compared to the younger people at my Parish. And they seem to always be impressed whenever they see a young person (like us) interested in Orthodox theology.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 06:47:47 PM »

I like discussing theology, especially when I'm drunk.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 06:50:56 PM »

Welll...   you seeeee.... GOD...   is...    he's... God is.... like.... unFATHomAble!   WOH....  but  if   --hey hey hey  hey      hey   i.. if I can talkabouthim t ehn     then he isn't     .. isn't unfathom .. able...    Grin
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 11:43:27 PM »

I'm remembering a particularly...interesting conversation I once had with an atheist.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 01:34:10 PM »

I bet many members of this board could rightly be called "a lurking curiosity"  Grin
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 01:39:43 PM »

I don't know whether you consider me "theologically erudite," but to the extent that I am that here, I think I am more or less everywhere. I do talk about theology with anyone who'll listen...

Same here. Though I lay no claim to being theologically erudite. You guys are the only ones I've found who want to talk about theology. Everyone else either falls asleep or gives me funny looks while walking rapidly in the opposite direction.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 03:03:44 PM »

The only person I talk to about theology outside this forum is my therapist. The only person I talk to outside this forum is my therapist.  Cheesy

You're not your own therapist, are you?  Grin  laugh

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »

You're not your own therapist, are you?  Grin  laugh

The man who serves as his own therapist has a fool for a client. 

Wait, that doesn't answer your question!

No, no, I go see a real, flesh-and-blood human being for my craziness.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 03:46:13 PM »

FWIW, I am a lot more theological IRL than I am online.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: