Author Topic: Deacon, no priest  (Read 502 times)

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
Deacon, no priest
« on: July 05, 2012, 09:05:57 AM »
If a Matins or Vespers is being served without a priest, but a deacon is present, can he intone the litanies, or are they omitted since he cannot vest without the priest's blessing?

Thanks

Offline Personna

Re: Deacon, no priest
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 09:43:30 AM »
I have been to a ROCOR Vigil Service with no priest present but there was a deacon.  The deacon vested and intoned the Litanies as he would if a priest were present.

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 10:11:36 AM »
I have been to a ROCOR Vigil Service with no priest present but there was a deacon.  The deacon vested and intoned the Litanies as he would if a priest were present.

I would dare say that this is an incorrect practice no matter what background. The litanies need a priest in order to complete them with the exclamation.
Joseph

Online primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 10:13:09 AM »
My priest went away to his grandson's baptism, and our deacon performed only the matins on Sunday (no liturgy). It sounded (and was performed) pretty much the same.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Monk Vasyl

• High Elder
    • Web site of our parish, St. Andrew UOCof USA
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 01:05:03 PM »
When I am doing Typica, when the priest is away, I am vested and intone the litanies and finish with the exclamation, "Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of God, through the prayers of your All Holy Mother, the Holy Fathers and all the Saints, have mercy on us and save us."
The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl