OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 11:14:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deacon, no priest  (Read 452 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodox11
Archon

« on: July 05, 2012, 09:05:57 AM »

If a Matins or Vespers is being served without a priest, but a deacon is present, can he intone the litanies, or are they omitted since he cannot vest without the priest's blessing?

Thanks
Personna

Faith: I no longer post here.

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 09:43:30 AM »

I have been to a ROCOR Vigil Service with no priest present but there was a deacon.  The deacon vested and intoned the Litanies as he would if a priest were present.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 10:11:36 AM »

I have been to a ROCOR Vigil Service with no priest present but there was a deacon.  The deacon vested and intoned the Litanies as he would if a priest were present.

I would dare say that this is an incorrect practice no matter what background. The litanies need a priest in order to complete them with the exclamation.

Joseph
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 10:13:09 AM »

My priest went away to his grandson's baptism, and our deacon performed only the matins on Sunday (no liturgy). It sounded (and was performed) pretty much the same.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 01:05:03 PM »

When I am doing Typica, when the priest is away, I am vested and intone the litanies and finish with the exclamation, "Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of God, through the prayers of your All Holy Mother, the Holy Fathers and all the Saints, have mercy on us and save us."

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: