OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 05:29:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Andy Griffith Dies At Age 86  (Read 503 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« on: July 03, 2012, 12:10:21 PM »

Andy Griffith Dies At Age 86

Former UNC President Bill Friday says The Andy Griffith Show and Matlock actor died at his home in Dare County, North Carolina around 7 a.m...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 12:47:55 PM »

Memory Eternal!  Cry

Man, what sad news this is.  Mr. Andy was such a great man and actor.  His show The Andy Griffith Show is rated #6 in IMDb's top 50 sitcoms of all time while his gospel album "I Love To Tell The Story: 25 Timeless Hymns", was certified platinum by the RIAA.  Like all of us do, he had his share of vices and problems, but he said he always tried to live a Christian life.  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew Samuel "Andy" Griffith (June 1, 1926 – July 3, 2012) was an American actor, director, producer, Grammy Award-winning Southern-gospel singer, and writer. He gained prominence in the starring role in director Elia Kazan's epic film A Face in the Crowd (1957) before he became better known for his television roles, playing the lead characters in the 1960–1968 situation comedy The Andy Griffith Show and in the 1986–1995 legal drama Matlock. Griffith died on July 3, 2012 at the age of 86.

Griffith was born in Mount Airy, North Carolina, the only child of Geneva (née Nunn) and Carl Lee Griffith. At a very young age, Griffith had to live with relatives until his parents could afford to get a home of their own. Without a crib or a bed, he slept in drawers for a few months. In 1929, when Griffith was three years old, his father took a job working as a carpenter and was finally able to purchase a home in Mount Airy's "blue-collar" southside.

Like his mother, Griffith grew up listening to music. His father instilled a sense of humor from old family stories. By the time he entered school he was well aware that he was from what many considered the "wrong side of the tracks". He was a shy student, but once he found a way to make his peers laugh, he began to come out of his shell and come into his own.

Beginning in 1960, Griffith starred as Sheriff Andy Taylor in The Andy Griffith Show for the CBS television network. The show took place in the fictional town of Mayberry, North Carolina, where Taylor, a widower, was the sheriff and town sage. The show was filmed at Desilu Studios, with exteriors filmed at Forty Acres in Culver City, CA.

From 1960 to 1965, the show co-starred character actor and comedian — and Griffith's longtime friend — Don Knotts in the role of Deputy Barney Fife, Taylor's best friend and partner. He was also Taylor's cousin in the show. In the series première episode, in a conversation between the two, Fife calls Taylor "Cousin Andy", and Taylor calls Fife "Cousin Barney". The show also starred child actor Ron Howard (then known as Ronny Howard), who played Taylor's only child, Opie Taylor.

Griffith sang as part of some of his acting roles, most notably in A Face In The Crowd and in many episodes of both The Andy Griffith Show and Matlock. In addition to his recordings of comic monologues in the 1950s, he made an album of upbeat country and gospel tunes during the run of The Andy Griffith Show, which included a version of the show's theme sung by Griffith under the title "The Fishin' Hole". In recent years, he has recorded successful albums of classic Christian hymns for Sparrow Records. His most successful was the 1996 release I Love to Tell the Story: 25 Timeless Hymns, which was certified platinum by the RIAA.

Griffith appeared in country singer Brad Paisley's music video "Waitin' on a Woman" (2008).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:05:33 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 01:06:13 PM »

Thanks for teaching me all those life lessons when I was a kid, Sheriff Taylor; and solving crimes, Matlock.

May God grant him mercy and memory eternal.

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 01:25:11 PM »

Thanks for teaching me all those life lessons when I was a kid, Sheriff Taylor;

This!  And I still learn a lot from Sherrif Taylor...

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 08:30:34 PM »

Memory eternal

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 11:27:47 PM »

"Eternal Memory."

"The Andy Griffith Show" was a big part of my youth (currently being rerun on TVLand), and then we had the pleasure of "Matlock" in the '90's (currently being rerun on WGNAmerica).  Andy Griffith has made a very substantial contribution to American television entertainment. 

God grant him eternal rest among the saints.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 12:05:31 AM »

The non-prayer remembrances of Andy Griffith have been moved to Other Topics.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=45638.0

Everyone, please remember that this is the Prayer Forum and refrain from submitting posts on this thread merely to reminisce. Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 12:08:07 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 10:46:31 PM »

May the Lord grant him rest with the Saints and make his memory to be Eternal! +++

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 12:35:57 AM »

Memory Eternal.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: