Author Topic: Hardest Parts of Being Orthodox?  (Read 8305 times)

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
Re: Hardest Parts of Being Orthodox?
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2018, 02:02:55 AM »
Always felling that after I buy something for pleasure that I should've given the money to the Church.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2018, 10:07:07 AM »
Always felling that after I buy something for pleasure that I should've given the money to the Church.
One need also master the virtue of accepting blessings with humility and doxology.

Offline platypus

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2018, 03:17:54 PM »
The hardest part: eating large quantities of beans never ends well. But how else shall we consume adequate proteins during the fast?

That, and chastity, concentrating during prayer, and treating everyone with Christ-like love.
"Eternal truth finds no favorable soil where one encounters at every turn the skeptical, sarcastic query 'what is truth,' where life insurance takes the place of eternal hope." -Hieromonk Antonius

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. -Ecclesiastes 12:8

Offline NicholasMyra

• Antivoluntarist evangelist
  • Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2018, 06:48:15 PM »
The hardest part: eating large quantities of beans never ends well.
Gotta discard that soaking water and cook at high temp! Beans aren't supposed to hurt.
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
  • If you die before you die, then you will not die
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2018, 07:10:36 PM »
Gotta discard that soaking water and cook at high temp! Beans aren't supposed to hurt.
Thats right! Preparation is 9/10s of the battle.  Blanche the beans first. Discard the water than use fresh water and boil till tender..
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 07:11:06 PM by Tzimis »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: TUOCOUIA
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2018, 07:11:18 PM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2018, 09:31:50 PM »
The hardest part: eating large quantities of beans never ends well. But how else shall we consume adequate proteins during the fast?

Boiled shrimp.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2018, 09:41:21 PM »
Tofu.  Locusts, if you're biblical.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Online Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Met. of Atlanta
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2018, 10:39:51 PM »
I think GOARCH is OK with arthropods (land or sea), mollusks, and bivalves. Strict jurisdictions like ROCOR may disagree though.
Quote from: Michael, Pope of Rome
We should fortify ourselves with the truths of the Faith. Our main focus should be to become saints. Unfortunately some spend much of their time in either trying to sort things out or what is worse, trying to convince the world that they are right. If we all aim at sanctifying ourselves, God will intervene and He will straighten things out. We cannot do it without Him.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2018, 10:44:39 PM »
The soy-sauced sauteed crickets were too ascetic for the ROCOR parish in the local area.

Offline platypus

• Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2018, 11:40:32 AM »

I always discard the soaking water, but I've never cooked them at a high temperature. I'll try that today. Thank you!
"Eternal truth finds no favorable soil where one encounters at every turn the skeptical, sarcastic query 'what is truth,' where life insurance takes the place of eternal hope." -Hieromonk Antonius

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. -Ecclesiastes 12:8

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2018, 01:14:54 PM »
Beans are staple food here, most people eat them twice a day, we're fine so it really won't do any harm if you cook them well. Unfortunately I suck at doing them, but you may listen to Nicholas.  :P
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2018, 01:25:18 PM »
I think GOARCH is OK with arthropods (land or sea), mollusks, and bivalves. Strict jurisdictions like ROCOR may disagree though.

Gross.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2018, 02:12:02 PM »

I don't think that's a matter of laxness versus strictness... that's just the ancient fasting categorization. Lobsters and shrimp are considered relatively luxurious now but it was not always so.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2018, 02:43:12 PM »
* Loud Fart *

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2018, 02:56:54 PM »
* Loud Fart *

Yes, Lent can be difficult.
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2018, 03:17:33 PM »
* Loud Fart *

Yes, Lent can be difficult.

It is best to do prostrations before going anywhere.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2018, 03:27:22 PM »
Yes, Great Lent is 40 days.

Online Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Met. of Atlanta
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2018, 03:34:53 PM »

I don't think that's a matter of laxness versus strictness... that's just the ancient fasting categorization. Lobsters and shrimp are considered relatively luxurious now but it was not always so.
Probably saw someone ranting somewhere and figured ROCOR was to blame. Actually I don't know their rules.

I am aware of the change in seafood's perception though. We should all complain how expensive our prison food has gotten  ;)
Quote from: Michael, Pope of Rome
We should fortify ourselves with the truths of the Faith. Our main focus should be to become saints. Unfortunately some spend much of their time in either trying to sort things out or what is worse, trying to convince the world that they are right. If we all aim at sanctifying ourselves, God will intervene and He will straighten things out. We cannot do it without Him.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2018, 05:44:37 PM »
For me the hardest part is how culturally foreign it is and how numerically small Orthodoxy is in America. That makes me all the more aware of how statistically probable it is that my children will not hold to the religion as adults. It's difficult and irrelevant, with no general cultural backing like you would get in the Orthodox countries. All in all, with a 45 minute commute to the church and almost total lack of the religion in my region of the country, it feels very lonely.

But it is true, and it is beautiful. Those things keep me coming back every week and keeping faith. It's very unlikely I would have been able to sustain faith as an Evangelical Protestant as an adult.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2018, 05:55:35 PM »
For me it has been zealousness. As a convert who finally found the true Faith and the true Church, I have struggled to simply live a consistent spiritual life. I was warned about "convertitis," and I certainly fell prey to that. I am an all or nothing person, and I've struggled to just live out the Faith one day at a time. So for me, the hardest thing has been learning to make it to Liturgy consistently, to go to Confession (which I don't do enough), and to fast even if I don't keep the fasts as strictly as I should. As the old adage goes: "The race belongs not to the swift, but to those who endure." So if you enter into Orthodoxy, be prepared to struggle; but when you fall just keep getting back up and keep clinging to the Cross.

Selam
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 05:56:49 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Frank J

• Faith: Russian Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2018, 07:31:17 PM »
Hello when I attend an Orthodox Christian Church during my early days of wanting to convert I was told of any of the rules that would be required for me to follow. The priest took upon himself to make the choice not to tell me before converting me to the Orthodox Christian faith. I didn't find it out 9 or 10 years later,  I was so upset with him for giving the chance to make that choice for myself. I kind of blow my stack at him ,but in the end I forgave his kind pushing me into the Church. It is now 20 years ago that I converted to the faith, I still have issues with the fast but I'm trying my best I can to do what faith tells me to do. I'm not to good at living the fast but keep trying to do so... I will more then like struggle with the faith for a very long time...

Offline Frank J

« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2018, 07:34:44 PM »
I do believe in the faith that I have and won't leave the Church because of what happened so long ago. When I think of it where would I go , so I relented and except my faith in full..

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2018, 12:26:43 PM »
Yes, Great Lent is 40 days.
40 days of loud fart!
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2018, 12:59:02 AM »
Hello when I attend an Orthodox Christian Church during my early days of wanting to convert I was told of any of the rules that would be required for me to follow. The priest took upon himself to make the choice not to tell me before converting me to the Orthodox Christian faith. I didn't find it out 9 or 10 years later,  I was so upset with him for giving the chance to make that choice for myself. I kind of blow my stack at him ,but in the end I forgave his kind pushing me into the Church. It is now 20 years ago that I converted to the faith, I still have issues with the fast but I'm trying my best I can to do what faith tells me to do. I'm not to good at living the fast but keep trying to do so... I will more then like struggle with the faith for a very long time...

What rules?
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2018, 02:14:28 AM »
Huuuummmh ~ never knew anything from outside of the Orthodox faith ~ I saw others and tried to understand what they believed ~ who they thought Christ was ~  when they would say things like : "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal savior" as if Jesus was his first name an Christ was his family name ~ some times the way they spoke of the Lord ~ it was too familiar ~ rude or vulgar ~ know what I mean ```

I think there is no thing hard about being of our faith ~ it would be hard to think differently ~ to look at the Church from outside ```

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 02:20:27 AM by Sethrak »

Offline Frank J

« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2018, 08:35:10 PM »
On Wednesday and Friday no relationship with the wife and Saturday the night before Divine Liturgy that one and half the year we fast from meats and dairy plus a few other things....

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2018, 03:05:01 AM »
On Wednesday and Friday no relationship with the wife and Saturday the night before Divine Liturgy that one and half the year we fast from meats and dairy plus a few other things....
And those are "the rules", huh?

Doesn't sound like your first priest kept anything from you. Sounds like a second or third priest put quite a yoke on you though.

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2018, 07:35:32 PM »
There are no requirements under the pain of death should you not fast ~ keep yourself from sin ~ Love the Lord ~ Keep the commandments ~ being Orthodox is the easiest life on earth ~ Yes ~ we can put ashes in our hair and walk bare footed up the mountain and eat nothing but stale bread and water But all that not required ~  Yes ~ fasting the few hours before Communion ~ but ~ there are no ~ do this or that or God won't Love you or you can't sing the Sharagans if you've driven over the speed limit on the way to work on Friday ```

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:39:48 PM by Sethrak »

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #119 on: December 13, 2018, 04:19:41 PM »
Myself.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.