Author Topic: Grilled Cheese Sandwich bears Mary's image (yeah right)  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • St. Chrysostomos the New
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
Grilled Cheese Sandwich bears Mary's image (yeah right)
« on: November 17, 2004, 08:38:31 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/16/ebay.sandwich.ap/index.html

'Virgin Mary' sandwich back on eBay
Top bid reaches over $16,000 in second round of bidding
Wednesday, November 17, 2004 Posted: 3:54 AM EST (0854 GMT)

The grilled cheese sandwich is up for sale again.

MIAMI, Florida (AP) -- The people at eBay were no believers in this cheesy miracle: half of a 10-year-old grilled cheese sandwich whose owner claimed it bore the image of the Virgin Mary.

Diana Duyser put the sandwich up for sale last week, drawing bids as high as $22,000 before eBay pulled the item Sunday night. The page was viewed nearly 100,000 times before being taken down.

An e-mail Duyser received from eBay said the sandwich broke its policy, which "does not allow listings that are intended as jokes."

But, Duyser, a jewelry designer who has bought and sold items on eBay for two years, insisted this was not a laughing matter.

"How could eBay do this to me?" Duyser said Monday, hours before the online auction was supposed to have ended.

On Tuesday, the Web site allowed bidding to resume, with the top offer reaching over $16,000. Bidding is scheduled to end Monday.

Company spokesman Hani Durzy said the listing was mistakenly removed because officials doubted whether Duyser could deliver the product.

"After looking at it a second time, there's nothing to indicate that the seller isn't willing to give up this cheese sandwich to the highest bidder," he said. "We're going to allow it to stay up."

In mocking response, two similar items were posted later -- grilled cheese sandwiches bearing the images of the Virgin Mary's used chewing gum and Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen.

Duyser thought eBay would be the best place to show off the sandwich, made on plain white bread with American cheese. It was cooked with no oil or butter.

Duyser, 52, said she took a bite after making it 10 years ago and saw a face staring back at her from the bread. She put the sandwich in a clear plastic box with cotton balls and kept it on her night stand.

At first, she was scared by the image, "but now that I realize how unique it is, I wanted to share it with the world," Duyser said.

The sandwich, she added, has never sprouted a spore of mold.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
Re:Grilled Cheese Sandwich bears Mary's image (yeah right)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 08:44:47 PM »
Dude, you're way slow on this.  For a much more enlightening (or should I say entertaining) discussion on this, see here.

Offline J

• (another Justin)
  • OC.net
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 10:40:39 PM »
I will never get that five minutes of my life back.

Offline JoeS

• (aka StMarkEofE)
  • Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Global Warming Enthusiast.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 12:51:02 AM »
Is this just a Catholic thing. I mean grilled cheese, you got to be kidding.  I remember some Catholics seeing an image or what they thought was an image of the Virgin on a fence post. And then there was the image on a window on a building. Come on, enough is enough.  Eat the sandwich and be done with it.  I think this is very denegrating to the Theotokos.

JoeS

Offline Nacho

• OC.net guru
  • The face of Corporate America
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 12:55:22 AM »
Hmmmm....what a great idea for suckers, but also brilliant at the same time! I think I need to go onto ebay & upstage this chick with my peanut butter & jelly sandwich bore in the image of Christ :P
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity

Offline Arystarcus

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 01:06:23 AM »
I think I need to go onto ebay & upstage this chick with my peanut butter & jelly sandwich bore in the image of Christ  :P

Somebody already beat you to that, I'm afraid.

Just hop on eBay and do a search for "grilled cheese" - be sure to use the quotation marks.

Offline MsGuided

• Pharmakolytria
  • Elder
  • St. Anastasia
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 12:19:53 PM »
"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos

Offline gphadraig

• OC.net
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 12:51:15 PM »
Would a sober response, respectful of the Theotokos, be to ignore this reported phenomena?
Age is honourable and youth noble

Offline Strelets

• Стрелец
  • Elder
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 12:58:03 PM »
Is it just a coincidence that the Holy Mother appeared on a slab of LEAVENED bread?  I think NOT!
"The creed is very simple, and here is what it is: to believe that there is nothing more beautiful, more courageous, and more perfect than Christ; and there not only isn't, but I tell myself with a jealous love, there cannot be." ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky

Offline ania

• Life according to Abe Simpson:
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 01:40:53 PM »
I'm never gonna look at toast the same way.
Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • St. Chrysostomos the New
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 02:28:15 PM »
It's not just Catholics. When I grew up "Jesus" appeared on a water tank to some Protestants, until some guy screamed, "it's a demon!!!" and threw a bucket of paint on it.

Anastasios
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 02:28:38 PM by anastasios »
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.