OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 05:16:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christian Fellowship and Frustration  (Read 1020 times) Average Rating: 0
Gary

Faith: Orthodox

« on: July 01, 2012, 12:59:19 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this subject, so I will not complain if it is moved.

I am currently working overseas, and my wife is with me. Eventually we will return to the States. But since we do not have a mortgage, and I can probably find some work in most major metropolitan areas, we are not tied to any specific locale. When we do return to the States we would like to share fellowship with other Orthodox Christians, and feel like we are part of a community. To that end I have emailed several Orthodox Churches in a few parts of the USA asking if they have any members who would correspond with us. All but one have completely ignored my request. The exception was a Greek Orthodox parish in North Carolina.  At first I received several responses, but it seems that after they understood that we were not moving to their parish in the immediate future they lost interest, despite polite attempts to further communicate on my part. Though one man in this parish still seems willing to communicate. I find myself feeling frustrated by this lack of fellowship. Is this unwillingness to communicate normal?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:59:52 PM by Gary » Logged
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 02:11:10 PM »

Maybe some of them thought you were running some type of 419 scam?

Proverbs 22:7
Gary

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 02:28:20 PM »

What is a 419 scam?
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 02:39:15 PM »

"Nigerian scams (also called Nigerian 419 scams), are a type of fraud.."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/419_scam
they freq contact churches and clergy.

Proverbs 22:7
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 08:10:07 PM »

I can't speak for every Orthodox Christian, but I'm not personally always the most outgoing when it comes to socializing. I live in Cincinnati. If you have any questions about the area or the parish I attend, feel free to PM me.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
arnI

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 04:14:31 PM »

I live in Maryland. Also feel free to send me a message, I am more than willing to exchange emails. Where overseas are you currently?

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
Gary

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 12:43:39 PM »

Thanks to all who responded to my post.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 12:56:14 PM »

I live in southern Missouri (down here, it's Mizzur-ah! Smiley) in the Ozarks.  Can't answer your questions about the other churches... Shoot me a PM if you'd like.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Gary

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 01:36:16 PM »

Garbriel, I appreciate the offer, and I have distant relatives in your area, but MO is not a place we're interested in moving to.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 03:22:24 PM »

roughly where are you working?
are u just looking for usa penfriends or anyone?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 03:27:33 PM »

What do you mean by share fellowship?

Can you copy and paste your email to this thread please?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gary

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 12:40:35 PM »

Hello all,

I am not looking for pen pals per se. We would like to find a parish where my wife and I feel welcome, and become part of a real community of Orthodox Christians. What I meant by Christian fellowship is people who not only worship together, but form a support network. That is why I wrote to various parishes in a few areas we are interested in, to see if people were welcoming. For the most part, with a few exceptions, it has been a disappointing experience.  This is why Protestant evangelicals, and other non-Orthodox groups often attract more people. They are more welcoming.

Someone asked me to post my email. I will not do this due to lurkers who might abuse it. However, I will try to respond to any PMs that are sent to me.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 01:10:09 PM »

If you are currently attending an Orthodox parish, you may want your priest to contact the priest at the other parishes.  That may open the doors a little.
Gary

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 11:30:06 AM »

If you are currently attending an Orthodox parish, you may want your priest to contact the priest at the other parishes.  That may open the doors a little.

That's a problem at my current location. The only Orthodox Parish where we understand some of the language, and won't be stared at,  is a couple hour drive away, a Russian speaking parish. I tried to speak with the priest a couple of times, but he hurried out once the service was done.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 11:41:29 AM »

We have a rather active circle of Orthodox churches in the Detroit area.

Any particular jurisdiction you are interested in?

We've got all flavors here....Ukrainian, Greek, Serbian, Macedonian, OCA, Romanian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Russian, etc.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 11:58:19 AM »

Garbriel, I appreciate the offer, and I have distant relatives in your area, but MO is not a place we're interested in moving to.

Bunch a'uppity snobs!  LOL, It's hot and humid here and the town pretty much shuts down around 9pm or 10pm so I don't blame you.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Gary

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 01:49:48 PM »

We have a rather active circle of Orthodox churches in the Detroit area.

Any particular jurisdiction you are interested in?

We've got all flavors here....Ukrainian, Greek, Serbian, Macedonian, OCA, Romanian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Russian, etc.

LizaSymonenko,

Thanks. Ukrainian Orthodox would be perfect, though the others you mentioned would be acceptable. One of the parishes I wrote to , and never received a response from, was a Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Connecticut. As for the Detroit area, the especially poor economy for that area makes it unlikely that we would move there.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 01:58:15 PM »

Sad

Oh come on!  You don't have to live in Detroit proper.  The suburbs are great!
If you want to give it a try, let me know.

We have a Council of Orthodox Christian Churches that incorporate all the churches and put on events, do fundraisers, etc.

If you are looking for Ukrainian, check here:  http://www.uocofusa.org/directories_parishes.html

There are some VERY active churches and congregations! 
The UOCofUSA has summer camps for kids, a youth league, etc....if you have children.

Some parishes are more Ukrainian, some are more English.

Let me know if I can help!
Smiley

I LOVE the Ukrainian Church!  Cheesy (completely unbiased - not!)

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Gary

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 02:00:05 PM »

Bunch a'uppity snobs!  LOL, It's hot and humid here and the town pretty much shuts down around 9pm or 10pm so I don't blame you.

LOL. I doubt where your at is more hot or humid than our current location. As the saying goes "It may not be Hell, but you can see it from here." Gabriel, I married a big city girl, that's why the backwoods of MO would be a nonstarter.
Gary

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 02:09:49 PM »

LizaSymonenko,

Thanks. I'm willing to look past my initial reaction, and at least investigate the Detroit area. Ukrainian Orthodox would be our preferred choice as both of us were baptized in Kyiv. I'll check out the website you mentioned, and may write to a few other UOC parishes.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 10:19:18 AM »

As you can see, you'll probably get more welcome from the forum as the people here are obviously interested in communicating...hence them being on a forum.  If you are interested in Omaha, NE send me a PM.  There are a couple people on here from the area.

Best of luck!
Gary

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 12:28:15 AM »

My wife has expressed interest in San Diego, CA. Is anyone on this forum from that area?
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 01:40:06 AM »

My wife has expressed interest in San Diego, CA. Is anyone on this forum from that area?

I've visited there twice.  The weather always seemed to be 'just right'.  The ocean, palm trees, beautiful flowers.  I believe almost every ethnic cuisine is represented as well (big plus for me!)  OTOH, you'd better really like people and traffic.  They also have an odd weather phenom they call 'June Gloom' where it's cloudy a good percentage of the time.  I don't know that it rains every day though.  My dad moved out there for a job and this is what he's told me.  I also believe CA real estate is rather high, but that's just based on my opinion about really big cities; for all I know, it might just be perfect for y'all.  One last thing, I don't know your political leanings, but they don't call CA the 'Left Coast' for nothing...  Tongue

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 02:04:00 AM »

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this subject, so I will not complain if it is moved.

I am currently working overseas, and my wife is with me. Eventually we will return to the States. But since we do not have a mortgage, and I can probably find some work in most major metropolitan areas, we are not tied to any specific locale. When we do return to the States we would like to share fellowship with other Orthodox Christians, and feel like we are part of a community. To that end I have emailed several Orthodox Churches in a few parts of the USA asking if they have any members who would correspond with us. All but one have completely ignored my request. The exception was a Greek Orthodox parish in North Carolina.  At first I received several responses, but it seems that after they understood that we were not moving to their parish in the immediate future they lost interest, despite polite attempts to further communicate on my part. Though one man in this parish still seems willing to communicate. I find myself feeling frustrated by this lack of fellowship. Is this unwillingness to communicate normal?

I'd say Chicago, but IL is a sinkhole.  Anything more might land this in politics.  Of course, you can (and I know those who do) live in IN or WI and commute.

Btw, if I may ask, where are you now?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 02:06:21 AM »

LizaSymonenko,

Thanks. I'm willing to look past my initial reaction, and at least investigate the Detroit area. Ukrainian Orthodox would be our preferred choice as both of us were baptized in Kyiv. I'll check out the website you mentioned, and may write to a few other UOC parishes.
In that case, Chicago has a few (he he) Ukrainians.  But they are very Ukrainian. I don't recall hearing English ever in any of the Ukrainian Orthodox Churches (which is OK, as they don't speak English at the coffee hour either).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Gary

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 08:39:40 AM »

I've visited there twice.  The weather always seemed to be 'just right'.  The ocean, palm trees, beautiful flowers.  I believe almost every ethnic cuisine is represented as well (big plus for me!)  OTOH, you'd better really like people and traffic.  They also have an odd weather phenom they call 'June Gloom' where it's cloudy a good percentage of the time.  I don't know that it rains every day though.  My dad moved out there for a job and this is what he's told me.  I also believe CA real estate is rather high, but that's just based on my opinion about really big cities; for all I know, it might just be perfect for y'all.  One last thing, I don't know your political leanings, but they don't call CA the 'Left Coast' for nothing...  Tongue

Yes, I'm aware of CA politics, and my throat tenses when I think about it.

My wife and I briefly visited San Diego several years ago, and liked it. We toured the USS Ronald Reagan and had some good Turkish food downtown. It turned out I had visited the city in eastern Turkey where the waitress was from many years before. She was thrilled that I actually knew where it was.

From a brief scan of the Internet I found a couple small Ukrainian and Russian parishes, and a sizable Greek parish. Does anyone in this forum have contacts within these parishes?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:41:20 AM by Gary » Logged
Gary

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2012, 08:46:02 AM »

I'd say Chicago, but IL is a sinkhole.  Anything more might land this in politics.  Of course, you can (and I know those who do) live in IN or WI and commute.

Btw, if I may ask, where are you now?

For security reasons I'm not going to describe my current location, anymore than I already have, over the open forum. But if you're still curious, PM me.

My wife has read some good things about Chicago from Russian/Ukrainian women who live there, but I think we would prefer an area with nicer weather.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: