OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 09:33:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOUSE FIRE  (Read 540 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: July 01, 2012, 01:34:17 AM »

Brothers/sisters,

Our next-door neighbors' house caught fire about 45 minutes ago.  Thank God they weren't home, but it's a total loss.  Another neighbor alerted us as I was viewing the credit card thread.  I immediately had my wife call 911 (my neighbor is elderly and was too frightened) while I went to the back yard where the flames were coming through the windows upstairs.  I couldn't just stand around waiting so I turned on my water hose and began dousing the flames as best I could.  My wife is entertaining their little boy while the parents decide what to do next.  We've offered our spare bedroom for as long as they need it.  My God, the flames were pouring out of the windows like an orange waterfall.  Very very scary.  The firefighters are still trying to put it out completely out.

Please pray for my neighbors.  They're a young family with a little boy and this has got to be devastating for them.  They just returned from their honeymoon last week.  Secondly, pray for the safety of the firefighters and pray the fire will be put out for the sake of all the surrounding homes.  I haven't been that scared in years...

Lord, have mercy on all those affected by this fire.  Most Holy Theotokos, give solace to the young family.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 01:44:33 AM »

Lord have mercy!!
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 01:55:15 AM »

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 02:06:03 AM »

Lord have mercy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 02:15:01 AM »

Thank God, everyone is physically OK.  I just feel sick to my stomach for my neighbors as their house is a total loss from the fire, smoke and water damage.  I just feel totally helpless as I want to do something, anything, for them but there's nothing I can do except open my house and heart to them, but I just feel like it's not enough.  For a while there, I was afraid the embers that were landing on our house in yard were going to catch fire because we haven't had rain in a month.  Forgive me from rambling on and on... I guess I'm still pumped up with adrenaline. 

Please continue to pray for the young family and this devastating loss.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 04:00:49 AM »

Lord have mercy !
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 04:58:04 AM »

How terrible! Lord have mercy on this family and comfort them in this time of great need.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 12:02:12 PM »

Lord have mercy.

St. Michael, pray for us.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 12:12:07 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
marigold
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 05:38:19 PM »

Lord, have mercy on GabrieltheCelt's neighbors and on all those affected by this fire!
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 06:14:12 PM »

LORD have mercy!
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 07:21:18 PM »

Update:  The fire dept. believes the fire was started by an outdoor grill that wasn't properly extinguished.  My heart is too crushed for them to be too irritated with that.  The young lady told us last night that she has family in town and will be dividing time between kinfolk and a motel room.  When I got home earlier I found all kinds of debris in our yard- I'm so glad I doused the yard with water last night.  I haven't spoken to them today (I don't want to seem nosy and be in their business) so I'm not sure what their plans are for the house.  It went from a beautiful two-story home to looking like an old burned out haunted house in the space of two hours.  My wife and I are still in a state of shock, but it's nothing compared to what the young couple must be going through.  I understand that they do have fire insurance so there is a silver lining...  Please continue to pray for them as this has got to be a major interruption and stressor in their lives.  Sad

Major kudos to my amazing wife- I learned that after I went to bed at 230am, she brought their little boy over and comforted him with juice and cookies.  He's only 7 and I'm sure he doesn't know how to process this. 

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 07:37:10 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 10:50:52 PM »

Lord have mercy.

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Hurdle

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 11:50:04 PM »

Κύριε, ἐλέησον! Lord, have mercy!
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Katerina, my sister, dear beyond measure

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 12:23:10 AM »

Update:  The fire dept. believes the fire was started by an outdoor grill that wasn't properly extinguished.  My heart is too crushed for them to be too irritated with that.  The young lady told us last night that she has family in town and will be dividing time between kinfolk and a motel room.  When I got home earlier I found all kinds of debris in our yard- I'm so glad I doused the yard with water last night.  I haven't spoken to them today (I don't want to seem nosy and be in their business) so I'm not sure what their plans are for the house.  It went from a beautiful two-story home to looking like an old burned out haunted house in the space of two hours.  My wife and I are still in a state of shock, but it's nothing compared to what the young couple must be going through.  I understand that they do have fire insurance so there is a silver lining...  Please continue to pray for them as this has got to be a major interruption and stressor in their lives.  Sad

Major kudos to my amazing wife- I learned that after I went to bed at 230am, she brought their little boy over and comforted him with juice and cookies.  He's only 7 and I'm sure he doesn't know how to process this. 

Kyrie Eleison!

Yes it must be devastating and something that I have not experienced. Just repeat your offer of support often, such that they will have someone that they should trust when unforeseen circumstances arise in this evolving crisis situation.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 12:12:22 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Gabriel, God bless you and your family for being there the best you could for your neighbors at this difficult time for them.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 01:04:06 PM »

Scary!

Lord have mercy and help them cope with their loss, rebuild their lives and reward those who help their neighbor in their time of need!

Gabriel, you just had the chance to be the Good Samaritan and you did it!

I am glad the embers didn't land on your property.  We too, are VERY dry!  Forget about the grass, the bushes have all wilted and this whole week is in the 90's. 

Michigan has just legalized fireworks.  Bad timing.  Every time I hear them start popping, I run to the window to keep an eye on everything.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: