OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 12:39:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heterodox Baptismal Certificate/letter  (Read 629 times) Average Rating: 0
Hurdle

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: N/A

« on: July 01, 2012, 12:31:32 AM »

Since I have listened to everyone's advice on the issue regarding baptism and Chrismation, I decide that I should follow Father's advice now and see if I can obtain the baptismal certificate or a certified letter of my previous heterodox baptism, and discuss with him what should be the proper way for me to be received into Orthodox Church, according to the Will of God, either Baptism or Chrismation.

Since my heterodox baptism was done in an evangelical, low Church protestant community, I guess the possibility for it to be recognized by Orthodox Church is very little...  But I will still try to obtain it first and see if Orthodox Church recognizes it.

So, I guess the follow ones are quite important for me to know in obtaining a certificate/certified letter
1. Date when I was been baptized?
2. How I was been baptized? Immersion or Sprinkles?
3. What formula I was been baptized with? (e.g., in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit)?
4. the name of Christian Community, The statement of faith of the community who I was been baptized?

What else I should be pay attention or be awared of? Thank everyone for advice!

My Aunt, uncle and my grandmothers on my mother side are regular attendants of the same Christian community I have mentioned above. They asked me why I need to obtain it and I haven't told them anything about Orthodoxy. They kept asking me what kind of Church I want to attend but I did not answer them, since I think they highly dislike Catholic Church and I fear that they might mix their thoughts regarding Catholicism and Orthodoxy together. I fear they might against Theotokos, Icons, Saints. So I guess I would just not tell them now.

Again, thanks everyone!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 12:33:42 AM »

Why not just get re-baptized in the Orthodox Church?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:35:35 AM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 12:44:20 AM »

Is the pastor who baptized you still with that church? Or if he's not would the current pastor/clerical staff have contact information for him?

I presume this church is like the low-church evangelical churchess that I'm familiar with that don't issue baptismal certificates and don't keep church records as to who they've baptized. If that's the case, I think the only chance you have of fulfilling your priest's request is to find a minister or equivalent who remembers you and your baptism and getting a letter from them to that effect. Getting a basic statement of belief (if the church has one--the church I was raised in was actively anti-creedal as a creed was, by definition, written by men and outside of 'sola scriptura') from the same source would also probably be useful.

(Not to mention that asking your relatives how to get hold of the minister/church office is likely to cause less awkward questions about things you are not ready to discuss yet).

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Hurdle

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 12:50:56 AM »

Is the pastor who baptized you still with that church? Or if he's not would the current pastor/clerical staff have contact information for him?

I presume this church is like the low-church evangelical churchess that I'm familiar with that don't issue baptismal certificates and don't keep church records as to who they've baptized. If that's the case, I think the only chance you have of fulfilling your priest's request is to find a minister or equivalent who remembers you and your baptism and getting a letter from them to that effect. Getting a basic statement of belief (if the church has one--the church I was raised in was actively anti-creedal as a creed was, by definition, written by men and outside of 'sola scriptura') from the same source would also probably be useful.

(Not to mention that asking your relatives how to get hold of the minister/church office is likely to cause less awkward questions about things you are not ready to discuss yet).
The community where I was been baptized believes no need for having a pastor. I was been baptized by "lay people", if "laity" is a term that exists in evangelical/Protestant "dictionary."

Lord, have mercy if I am wrong.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:52:57 AM by Hurdle » Logged
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 01:13:31 AM »

The community where I was been baptized believes no need for having a pastor. I was been baptized by "lay people", if "laity" is a term that exists in evangelical/Protestant "dictionary."

Does the church have no official positions (preacher, elder, evangelist) at all, no one who's recognized as some kind of leader or organizer? If that's the case then I don't see how you can get anything resembling what Father asked for--if no one speaks for the church, there's no one who can either certify a letter or say officially what the community believes (or does in the case of baptismal practice). And you may just need to tell Father that what he's asking for doesn't exist--he's thinking in the terms he's used to, where church actually keep track of this stuff. In my case, my Protestant baptism was at the hands of my father (who did not hold any official position in that church at the time, though he is now an 'elder'), so I know who I could get as witness--but if my father had passed away, I wouldn't be able to provide what your priest is asking for either. So you may just have to tell him that.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 01:27:40 AM »

Is there no one that "leads" the service? A regular speaker/preacher? Someone has to administrate something...

May God guide you as you seek Him. I pray things go all right with you family, as eventually they will have to find out what you're planning. I've known a lot of converts and seen many people go through a lot of struggles with their parents over their conversion, but let me assure you that, no matter how much strain it puts on you and your family, it will not be the end of the world and they are your family. They may never come to understand or even accept your new faith, but they will eventually at least tolerate it for the sake of maintaining a relationship with their child.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 01:34:01 AM »

What the Orthodox Church looks for, at least in the Western Hemisphere, mostly, is whether the heterodox baptism was conducted with water, and whether the candidate was baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 01:36:37 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: