OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 07:26:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Koliva question  (Read 3875 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« on: June 30, 2012, 08:04:49 PM »

The koliva after Vespers and the subsequent memorial service tonight had a white, hard egg-shaped thing in it. Is it edible?

Also, how do you pronounce "koliva"?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 08:06:41 PM »

You mean almonds?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 08:12:52 PM »

You mean almonds?

It isn't an almond.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 08:13:22 PM »

The koliva after Vespers and the subsequent memorial service tonight had a white, hard egg-shaped thing in it. Is it edible?

Those are probably sugarcoated almonds. Koliva is pronounced like KO-lee-vah,  with the stress on the first syllable (at least in Greek that is)

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 08:14:51 PM »

co-lee-vah, emphasis on the second syllable, according to the Romanian crowd I hang out with.  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 08:16:50 PM by Agia Marina » Logged

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 08:15:08 PM »

Those are probably sugarcoated almonds. Koliva is pronounced like KO-lee-vah,  with the stress on the first syllable (at least in Greek that is)

Ok, maybe it is an almond, then. It tastes sweet.

William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 08:18:36 PM »

Yep, it was an almond. Yummy.

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 08:27:28 PM »

Is it edible?

With the exception of the candles for the service, I don't think I've ever seen anyone ever put anyting that wasn't edible into koliva.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 08:39:11 PM »

Is it edible?

With the exception of the candles for the service, I don't think I've ever seen anyone ever put anyting that wasn't edible into koliva.

I have seen Hersey Kisses still in the wrappers.

Joseph
John Ward

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 03:23:50 AM »

Jordan almonds
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 05:33:16 AM »

White sugared almonds are often used to decorate kollyva, as well as with other shapes made of white hard candy, or white candy coated in an edible silver-colored coating.

I prefer my kollyva without that stuff - it makes it too sweet, and biting into silver balls unawares can mean a trip to the dentist.  Shocked It's made in commemoration of the dead, not a festive occasion, so its sweetness should be barely noticeable, according to the venerable old Greek woman who taught me how to make it. Some folks sweeten it with a honey syrup - far too sickly.  Tongue

When I make it, I put in boiled wheat, toasted sesame seeds, chopped toasted almonds (or, if I have them, walnuts), raisins, toasted fine breadcrumbs, pomegranate seeds if available, and enough powdered sugar to just sweeten it.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »

Almonds are not edible because I'm allergic to them.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 06:53:04 PM »

Is it edible?

I have seen Hersey Kisses still in the wrappers.

Wasn't there a canon anticipating this? Surely there must have been one stating, "In the event that someone in the future should put weird, innovative substances in koliva, let him have a nice, long talk with the parish grandmothers."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 06:06:32 AM »

White sugared almonds are often used to decorate kollyva, as well as with other shapes made of white hard candy, or white candy coated in an edible silver-colored coating.

I prefer my kollyva without that stuff - it makes it too sweet, and biting into silver balls unawares can mean a trip to the dentist.  Shocked It's made in commemoration of the dead, not a festive occasion, so its sweetness should be barely noticeable, according to the venerable old Greek woman who taught me how to make it. Some folks sweeten it with a honey syrup - far too sickly.  Tongue

When I make it, I put in boiled wheat, toasted sesame seeds, chopped toasted almonds (or, if I have them, walnuts), raisins, toasted fine breadcrumbs, pomegranate seeds if available, and enough powdered sugar to just sweeten it.

I'm afraid that I can't bear koliva at all. I always feel bad not taking any due to the fact that it is in commemoration of the dead but, rather like with mamaliga, I kept trying some because I was always assured that I must have only had bad examples in the past, only to find that every time it was just as bad as I remembered. Nowadays I figure that politely declining is better all round than me fighting the urge to gag when I eat it out of politeness.

James
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:35:11 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 06:17:27 AM »

James, I've had hardened kollyva-haters asking me for the recipe. I'm not kidding.  Cheesy There is no resemblance whatsoever between my kollyva and mamaliga, which I also detest.  Tongue
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:19:17 AM by LBK » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 06:25:42 AM »

Romanians always have the most elaborate koliva. It normally only consists of about 4 grains of boiled wheat, while the rest is jelly babies, chocolate bars, m&ms, jam and icing.
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 06:29:16 AM »

Romanians always have the most elaborate koliva. It normally only consists of about 4 grains of boiled wheat, while the rest is jelly babies, chocolate bars, m&ms, jam and icing.

Not in my experience. There's usually some sort of sweet based decoration on top but that's about it. If there was as little actual koliva in the koliva as you describe I might possibly be able to stomach it (not if it contained jelly babies, though!). Admittedly, I've only ever been to two Romanian parishes in this country and 3 or 4 in Romania, but I've never seen what you describe in any of them.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 06:33:57 AM »

James, I've had hardened kollyva-haters asking me for the recipe. I'm not kidding.  Cheesy There is no resemblance whatsoever between my kollyva and mamaliga, which I also detest.  Tongue

I didn't mean that there was any actual resemblance, just that if you tell a Romanian you don't like mamaliga you might as well be saying 'I have two heads'. The same seems to be the case with koliva, but I detest them both equally. Given the attitude the obvious conclusion is that I must have simply only ever had bad mamaliga/koliva and if I just try theirs I'll be converted. I'm afraid that I've tried so many varieties of each now only to have my naive hopes dashed on every occasion that you'll have to forgive me if I say I don't believe that yours would be any more palatable.

James
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:35:48 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 09:32:28 AM »

There is no resemblance whatsoever between my kollyva and mamaliga, which I also detestTongue

rather like with mamaliga

Is outrage!  Shocked Angry Cry

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 09:54:56 AM »

There is no resemblance whatsoever between my kollyva and mamaliga, which I also detestTongue

I know. My wife's been trying to get me to like mamaliga for over 10 years now but to no avail. She also always insists on asking me if I want coliva (just did it to me yesterday actually) whenever any is available at church, even though I never say yes. I'm sure she does think it's weird, as I said, roughly equivalent to my possession of an extra head, but she probably has to put up with odder things than that from me and she rarely complains. Unfortunately she never seems to give up trying to convince me either.

James

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 09:56:46 AM »

I prefer my kollyva without that stuff - it makes it too sweet, and biting into silver balls unawares can mean a trip to the dentist.  Shocked It's made in commemoration of the dead, not a festive occasion, so its sweetness should be barely noticeable, according to the venerable old Greek woman who taught me how to make it. Some folks sweeten it with a honey syrup - far too sickly.  Tongue

Now, THAT'S a gourmet kolivo!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 09:59:32 AM »

Liza, I can send you the recipe if you like. It's very easy to make.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 10:13:22 AM »

... and mamaliga, which I also detest.  Tongue

Whaaa?!  Is outrage!  I love mamaliga.  Add feta and bacon and I'm in love. 

LBK, if you don't mind, I would love the recipe to your koliva.  Thank you.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 10:26:34 AM »

Please send!

We'll do a recipe swap!  Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 11:02:31 AM »

Please send!

We'll do a recipe swap!  Wink

Done.  Cheesy
ma2000
Elder

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 11:04:09 AM »

Adding pomegranate seeds to koliva is a Greek custom, as far as I know, but it tastes very good. Please send me you recipes, everyone, and I'll send you mine if you are interested.
Thanks.

James, have you tried mamaliga with home made butter?

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 11:18:31 AM »

Since when do men cook this stuff  Roll Eyes Huh Shocked?
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 11:51:30 AM »

Liza, I can send you the recipe if you like. It's very easy to make.
Could you please send me the recipe, too.  My non-Orthodox hubby loves it.   Smiley

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 11:57:32 AM »

Adding pomegranate seeds to koliva is a Greek custom, as far as I know, but it tastes very good. Please send me you recipes, everyone, and I'll send you mine if you are interested.
Thanks.

James, have you tried mamaliga with home made butter?

I think I must have tried it just about every way that Romanians ever cook it - all with the same result. I'm sorry but it truly is horrible. Although Gabriel's comment about Feta made me think of Telemea (sorry to any Greeks here, but it's far superior to feta). I like that so much I'd probably try and fish it out if someone put it in with mamaliga.

James

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 12:05:23 PM »

OK, folks, here it is:

Put 8oz/250g cleaned wheat (make sure there is no grit or other foreign matter in the wheat) into a generous amount of cold water. Bring to the boil, then simmer until the grains are round and softened but not mushy. I use a pressure cooker, so cook for 30 minutes from the time pressure is reached, then cool the cooker and release the pressure. If cooking in a normal pot, bring to the boil, then simmer for between an hour and 90 minutes (I'm only guessing here, as I've only ever used a pressure cooker for it).

Strain the cooked wheat, then spread it out on a tray lined with a cloth, and allow to cool completely. Once the wheat is cooled, add:

1/4 cup packaged toasted breadcrumbs

1 cup chopped toasted almonds (either spread on a tray and toasted in the oven, or dry-fried) or walnuts

1/2 cup sesame seeds, toasted (as for the nuts)

Dash of cinnamon

1 cup raisins

seeds from one pomegranate (if available)

Mix it all well, then taste for sweetness. If necessary, add small amounts of sifted powdered sugar a tablespoon at a time - put the sugar into a small mesh sifter or tea strainer, and dust the kollyva, it's easier to mix it through - and keep tasting. The final sweetness should be only just noticeable.

A couple of times I've not had to add any sugar at all, because of the sweetness of the pomegranate and the dried fruit, so always taste first.

EDIT: Whoops! Please note amended quantity of wheat in color.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:33:38 PM by LBK » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 12:06:45 PM »

YUM!!

—St. Isaac of Syria
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 03:49:28 PM »

OK, folks, here it is:

Put 8oz/250g cleaned wheat (make sure there is no grit or other foreign matter in the wheat) into a generous amount of cold water. Bring to the boil, then simmer until the grains are round and softened but not mushy. I use a pressure cooker, so cook for 30 minutes from the time pressure is reached, then cool the cooker and release the pressure. If cooking in a normal pot, bring to the boil, then simmer for between an hour and 90 minutes (I'm only guessing here, as I've only ever used a pressure cooker for it).

Strain the cooked wheat, then spread it out on a tray lined with a cloth, and allow to cool completely. Once the wheat is cooled, add:

1/4 cup packaged toasted breadcrumbs

1 cup chopped toasted almonds (either spread on a tray and toasted in the oven, or dry-fried) or walnuts

1/2 cup sesame seeds, toasted (as for the nuts)

Dash of cinnamon

1 cup raisins

seeds from one pomegranate (if available)

Mix it all well, then taste for sweetness. If necessary, add small amounts of sifted powdered sugar a tablespoon at a time - put the sugar into a small mesh sifter or tea strainer, and dust the kollyva, it's easier to mix it through - and keep tasting. The final sweetness should be only just noticeable.

A couple of times I've not had to add any sugar at all, because of the sweetness of the pomegranate and the dried fruit, so always taste first.

EDIT: Whoops! Please note amended quantity of wheat in color.
Thank you, LBK!  Hubby will be eternally grateful.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 03:50:06 PM »

Never heard of that.

I make mine with wheat, toasted almonds and walnuts, sesame seeds, parsley, coriander seed, cinnamon, mahlepi and mastica, and raisins soaked in brandy. Powdered sugar on top--but a layer of graham cracker crumbs in between to keep the sugar from dissolving. Jordan almonds on top, and sometimes those hard sugar silver balls that break your teeth.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 03:52:08 PM »

Since when do men cook this stuff  Roll Eyes Huh Shocked?

Since too many of the babushki took to living in the woods and reading tea leaves on weekends instead of going to church.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 03:53:36 PM »

Okay, enlighten the non-Romanian. What is mamaliga?

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 04:03:56 PM »

Polenta. It reminds me a little of 'ugali', a staple in East Africa.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2012, 04:05:55 PM »

It's made of cornmeal.  Like a porridge.  Depends who adds what to it, it can be rather bland...or truly tasty!

—St. Isaac of Syria
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2012, 04:18:38 PM »

It's made of cornmeal.  Like a porridge.  Depends who adds what to it, it can be rather bland...or truly tasty!

And this is in place of koliva, for the dead? If so, it sounds like using rice instead of wheat, something which I'll never understand.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2012, 04:27:17 PM »

No, no!!!

They were just making a statement that they don't like the flavor of kolivo, any better than mamaliga.

It's NOT a replacement, just a flavor, like/dislike comparison.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2012, 05:23:46 PM »

No, no!!!

They were just making a statement that they don't like the flavor of kolivo, any better than mamaliga.

Oh good. For a moment there, I thought we were on a trajectory to use Cheerios.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2012, 06:40:55 PM »

James, I've had hardened kollyva-haters asking me for the recipe. I'm not kidding.  Cheesy There is no resemblance whatsoever between my kollyva and mamaliga, which I also detest.  Tongue

My mother also made it like you (without the pomegranates however). I think that the main trick is to dry the berries just enough so that they are still chewable. However, since berries at that stage of dryness are still a bit moist, the bread crumbs are absolutely necessary to prevent their moisture to reach the top layer of powdered sugar. Is that also your technique?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2012, 07:39:16 PM »

My mother also made it like you (without the pomegranates however). I think that the main trick is to dry the berries just enough so that they are still chewable. However, since berries at that stage of dryness are still a bit moist, the bread crumbs are absolutely necessary to prevent their moisture to reach the top layer of powdered sugar. Is that also your technique?

I don't put a top layer of sugar, though the woman who taught me how to make it sometimes does. The breadcrumbs are mainly used to stop the wheat grains from sticking to one another, rather than to control moisture leached out by the sugar. At any rate, there's usually no more than a couple of tablespoons of sugar required in my method, so excess moisture has never been a problem, though I can see it being one when it's made much sweeter than it should be.

jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2012, 03:34:01 AM »

No, no!!!

It was also because the idea that anyone could dislike either of those two things appears to be truly incomprehensible to Romanians. In detesting both equally I appear to be admitting to my utter estrangement from the human race.

Strangely enough I've never actually seen mamaliga at an agape meal, not even in the village. I wonder why that is? Maybe because it's considered peasant food rather than something for a special occasion?

James

ma2000
Elder

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2012, 08:47:07 AM »

Thanks for the recipe, LBK!

Strangely enough I've never actually seen mamaliga at an agape meal, not even in the village. I wonder why that is? Maybe because it's considered peasant food rather than something for a special occasion?

James

Yes, probably. Also because is less practical than sliced bread and usually we eat it only with certain dishes.

jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2012, 09:02:38 AM »

Thanks for the recipe, LBK!

James

Yes, probably. Also because is less practical than sliced bread and usually we eat it only with certain dishes.

I'm not so sure on the practicality side. I've seen it served cold and set and sliced like bread. I've also seen it cut in slices and then fried.  Either of those ways would seem just as practical as bread really. I also can't really say I've noticed any particular pattern to what it's eaten with in Bucovina. I've seen it with everything from mushrooms to cheese to cream to sausages and even, hideous though it is to recall, strawberries! To be honest, out of boiled sweetened wheat and boiled cornmeal with fruit, I find it hard to pick a 'winner'.

James

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: