OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 08:30:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't believe you can use "heavy swingers" and Catholic Answers in the same sentence.  (Read 2944 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2012, 06:15:43 PM »

...If I were to chose to go back on that forum, which is not happening, I would have to reduce myself to a non_Catholic portion of the forum which I consider an Insult.

Here I agree Joe.  And it is not in the spirit of the Church's teaching concerning Orthodoxy.  The management of that Forum needs to back off the tit-for-tat.

Mary
^Here here.

Message to CAF: REPENT! RESTORE THE OLD FORUMS! "Force" and "annihilation" is not a very impressive "Catholic Answer," though one might argue it is not without centuries of historical precedent.

(As a forum admin myself (not here) I'd wager the extensive deleted content still exists there but has simply been made invisible).

Message to Orthodox: if you don't want to risk your posts being "rebutted" by removal from the internet, extensive banning and the like, post on an Orthodox, Protestant, or General Theology forum!

CAF doesn't have a forum specifically for Catholic/Orthodox dialogue, but they do have a "Non-Catholic Religions forum".
It use to, but it was simply deleted, along with with all its extensive and informative content

See the thread "Catholic Answers Forum [CAF] Bars Orthodox Discussion" here

No need, I've heard/read a great deal about various people being upset with CAF. And it's not that I'm unsympathetic -- in fact, I think the whole "Non-Catholic Religions forum" thing is unfair, inasmuch as it lumps Orthodoxy together with e.g. Buddhism.
But at the same time, I don't really understand the whole "Eastern Christianity forum" thing either. At present they have an "Eastern Catholicism forum" and I seriously doubt they will change the name to "Eastern Christianity forum" (notwithstanding the fact that they've used that name before) regardless of how many people request it, and more-to-the-point I can't see why you would want them to anyhow.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2012, 06:53:41 PM »

I'd like to see the heavy swingers on CA come here for a debate-off...

Yes.

Perhaps you should go over there and extend an invitation  angel.

They have taken a great dislike to us.  We are not welcome there.
CAF is not welcoming to a whole lot of people, not just Orthodox.  For example, they have banned at least one Catholic, on the grounds that he believed that the present practice of granting easy marriage annulments,  for the most trivial of reasons, is a serious abuse in the American Church.   And they ban you forever.
However, there is another Catholic forum,  where (I think)  Orthodox and all Eastern Christians are welcome:  

Links advertising another forum removed pursuant to the rule quoted below

* No Forum Plugging -- You shall not have banners in signatures to other forums, or advertise your other web forum on our forum, or private message others to solicit them to join your forum.  You may link to another forum or website in your signature (without comment), and you may post links to threads on other forums, as long as they are pertinent to discussions here.
(highlighting mine)

-PtA

Do not be too hasty!!   My co-religionist, Mr. Vernosky on the ByzCathForum has banned me for life for any number of reasons most of which are reserved for those he does not like,  for I and my friends there have observed that the same behaviors, and worse, are acceptable from those of whom he approves and with whom he is personal friends.

There is no end to man's humanity to man...

M.
"Does not play well with others."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2012, 08:47:30 PM »

it's not that I'm unsympathetic -- in fact, I think the whole "Non-Catholic Religions forum" thing is unfair, inasmuch as it lumps Orthodoxy together with e.g. Buddhism.
But at the same time, I don't really understand the whole "Eastern Christianity forum" thing either. At present they have an "Eastern Catholicism forum" and I seriously doubt they will change the name to "Eastern Christianity forum" (notwithstanding the fact that they've used that name before) regardless of how many people request it, and more-to-the-point I can't see why you would want them to anyhow.

That's not the issue we're referring. to. No one said they wanted CAF to change the name of their "Eastern Catholicism" forum to "Eastern Christianity."

CAF deleted the Eastern Orthodox section which use to be there with all of its valuable content and with no discussion or warning. They also are infamous for banning thoughtful Orthodox Christians under questionable circumstances. Their "heaiest swing" with regard to the Orthodox seems to be hiding the content they don't like and banning Orthodox members.

It's their forum -they can do what they like, and we can remain unimpressed and disappointed.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 08:52:31 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2012, 09:23:44 PM »

Uhh, this is going to sound strange, but I don't remember starting this thread.

In fact I have yet to start a thread on this forum, something  weird is going on.

Or my mind is starting to slip.  Grin

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2012, 09:38:35 PM »

In fact I have yet to start a thread on this forum, something  weird is going on.

Looks like the original post (or several posts) were split off from another thread by a moderator. Though the fact that you are posting here is indeed evidence that your mind is starting to slip... get out while you can!  Grin

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2012, 09:52:13 PM »

Though the fact that you are posting here is indeed evidence that your mind is starting to slip... get out while you can!  Grin
+++

Silly Stars
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2012, 10:00:37 PM »

Looks like the original post (or several posts) were split off from another thread by a moderator. Though the fact that you are posting here is indeed evidence that your mind is starting to slip... get out while you can!  Grin
Ah, that's a good possible explanation, thank you.

As for my sanity, I'm too far gone to really be that concerned at this point.  Wink

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2012, 01:39:01 AM »

Yes.

You may be right -- in fact, there's quite a lot of evidence to make the closing of the "Eastern Christianity Forum" seem suspicious. But at the same time, I'm not entirely clear on the reasons that they had an "Eastern Christianity Forum" there to begin with.

They had an Eastern Christianity forum because, when I was asked to moderate the then newly created Eastern Catholicism forum there, I convinced them that it should instead be labeled as Eastern Christianity, so as to make our Orthodox brethren welcome to post there as well - pointing out that almost all of the Eastern and Oriental Catholic Churches had their origins in Orthodoxy, that Orthodoxy should not be relegated to the Non-Catholic Religions forum, and that Eastern and Oriental Christians - Catholic and Orthodox - had more in common and, thus, more to discuss, dialogue, and debate about than either did with Latin Catholics or anyone else regularly posting there. I actually took a lot of heat at the time from a few folks who took umbrage with the notion that the forum was to be inclusive of both Orthodox and Catholics. But, I won, for quite a while ...

Many years,

Neil (aka 'Joe Monahan', as the mod of the Eastern Christianity forum)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 01:40:21 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
JoeS2
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2012, 07:51:11 AM »

Yes.

You may be right -- in fact, there's quite a lot of evidence to make the closing of the "Eastern Christianity Forum" seem suspicious. But at the same time, I'm not entirely clear on the reasons that they had an "Eastern Christianity Forum" there to begin with.

They had an Eastern Christianity forum because, when I was asked to moderate the then newly created Eastern Catholicism forum there, I convinced them that it should instead be labeled as Eastern Christianity, so as to make our Orthodox brethren welcome to post there as well - pointing out that almost all of the Eastern and Oriental Catholic Churches had their origins in Orthodoxy, that Orthodoxy should not be relegated to the Non-Catholic Religions forum, and that Eastern and Oriental Christians - Catholic and Orthodox - had more in common and, thus, more to discuss, dialogue, and debate about than either did with Latin Catholics or anyone else regularly posting there. I actually took a lot of heat at the time from a few folks who took umbrage with the notion that the forum was to be inclusive of both Orthodox and Catholics. But, I won, for quite a while ...

Many years,

Neil (aka 'Joe Monahan', as the mod of the Eastern Christianity forum)

Hi Joe,
I was bumped off after some 4,000 posts there.  You were very fair and we do appreciate your tenure at CAF.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 07:51:47 AM by JoeS2 » Logged
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2012, 11:42:52 AM »

Hi Joe,
I was bumped off after some 4,000 posts there.  You were very fair and we do appreciate your tenure at CAF.

Joe,

Thanks very much for the kind words - but, much as I admire and venerate your sainted namesakes, both Righteous Joseph and the Noble Joseph (and Father Joe Monahan, of blessed memory, the pastor of my childhood and whose name I used back then), I'm actually 'Neil' in real life - honest Cheesy .

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »

The biggest problem with the Catholic Answers forum was the "Eastern Christianity" forum. Neil/joe would regularly moderate me simply for defending the Catholic Church against EO attacks, while he allowed particular EO guests to behave horribly.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »

it's not that I'm unsympathetic -- in fact, I think the whole "Non-Catholic Religions forum" thing is unfair, inasmuch as it lumps Orthodoxy together with e.g. Buddhism.

That's not the issue we're referring. to. No one said they wanted CAF to change the name of their "Eastern Catholicism" forum to "Eastern Christianity."

CAF deleted the Eastern Orthodox section which use to be there with all of its valuable content and with no discussion or warning. They also are infamous for banning thoughtful Orthodox Christians under questionable circumstances. Their "heaiest swing" with regard to the Orthodox seems to be hiding the content they don't like and banning Orthodox members.

It's their forum -they can do what they like, and we can remain unimpressed and disappointed.

Much of what you're saying here makes sense. What I've heard, at least from some posters, makes it seem like CAF regretted earlier decision, and kind of took it out on you guys.

But I do think I have to take issue with your referring to the old Eastern Christianity Forum as "the Eastern Orthodox section". "Eastern Christianity" isn't synonymous with "Orthodox Christianity" (or at least, if it is, then the Orthodox should stop complaining when Eastern Catholics are called "Orthodox in communion with Rome", and get rid of terms like "Western-Rite Orthodox").

BTW, I thought "Neil in Real Life" was great. Great chance to see a different side of Steve Carell.

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2012, 01:54:12 AM »

The biggest problem with the Catholic Answers forum was the "Eastern Christianity" forum. Neil/joe would regularly moderate me simply for defending the Catholic Church against EO attacks, while he allowed particular EO guests to behave horribly.

Chris,

Are you still waiting for me to make the announcement that I was really an Orthodox mole in the CAF ranks? Amazing! You saw right through my disguise and disinformation campaign! What will I do now? My cover is blown! I'll have to tell Metropolitan Philip and get him to spirit me out of this Melkite community in which I've been a sleeper for these 45 years past. Oh, woe is me!  Roll Eyes

Many years,

Neil

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2012, 02:50:52 AM »

Chris,

Are you still waiting for me to make the announcement that I was really an Orthodox mole in the CAF ranks? Amazing! You saw right through my disguise and disinformation campaign! What will I do now? My cover is blown! I'll have to tell Metropolitan Philip and get him to spirit me out of this Melkite community in which I've been a sleeper for these 45 years past. Oh, woe is me!  Roll Eyes

Many years,

Neil
Well one way of seeing what was going on would be to look at the statistics of how many Catholics were banned [or moderated/censored]  by Mr. Monahan, and compare that number to how many Orthodox Christians he banned [or moderated/censored].
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2012, 03:11:59 AM »

Chris,

Many years,

Neil
Well one way of seeing what was going on would be to look at the statistics of how many Catholics were banned [or moderated/censored]  by Mr. Monahan, and compare that number to how many Orthodox Christians he banned [or moderated/censored].

Yeah, that certainly sounds like a method for testing impartiality which would stand up to scrutiny, since the job of a moderator is simply to ban posters indiscriminately without any regard for their conduct.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2012, 08:02:46 AM »

That thinking would suggest there should be some kind of quota system.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2012, 05:28:15 PM »

There is the same anti-Latin bias on ByzCathForum.  It simply goes with the territory and is worn as a badge of honor...or dishonor depending  Wink

Oddly enough...no...not so oddly at all, this is the most balanced forum that includes Catholics and Orthodox, in dialogue, on the Internet today.

M.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2012, 05:30:34 PM »

Yes.

CAF is not welcoming to a whole lot of people, not just Orthodox.  For example, they have banned at least one Catholic, on the grounds that he believed that the present practice of granting easy marriage annulments,  for the most trivial of reasons, is a serious abuse in the American Church.   And they ban you forever.
However, there is another Catholic forum,  where (I think)  Orthodox and all Eastern Christians are welcome:  

Links advertising another forum removed pursuant to the rule quoted below

* No Forum Plugging -- You shall not have banners in signatures to other forums, or advertise your other web forum on our forum, or private message others to solicit them to join your forum.  You may link to another forum or website in your signature (without comment), and you may post links to threads on other forums, as long as they are pertinent to discussions here.
(highlighting mine)

-PtA

Do not be too hasty!!   My co-religionist, Mr. Vernosky on the ByzCathForum has banned me for life for any number of reasons most of which are reserved for those he does not like,  for I and my friends there have observed that the same behaviors, and worse, are acceptable from those of whom he approves and with whom he is personal friends.

There is no end to man's humanity to man...

M.
"Does not play well with others."

I notice when you are over there with the big boys you mewl appropriately and post no pictures and no maps...takes the shine right off your message.  Cheesy...but you do get to stay.    Only here do you dare to be you... Roll Eyes

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2012, 09:39:14 AM »

Chris,

Many years,

Neil
Nope, just pointing out that you were the biggest problem about that forum. If there had a been a moderator who was not a "Catholic-in-name-only" from the beginning, none of the controversy surrounding the the Eastern Christianity sub-forum would have ever happened. In fact, that subforum probably would still be around. But since you attacked faithful Catholics, and allowed threads in which people celebrated their defection from the Catholic Church, the sub-forum had to be shut down.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2012, 09:40:34 AM »

There is the same anti-Latin bias on ByzCathForum.  It simply goes with the territory and is worn as a badge of honor...or dishonor depending  Wink

Oddly enough...no...not so oddly at all, this is the most balanced forum that includes Catholics and Orthodox, in dialogue, on the Internet today.

M.
Agreed. The OC.net moderators are extremely fair to us, their Catholic guests.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2012, 02:47:02 PM »

Chris,

Many years,

Neil
Nope, just pointing out that you were the biggest problem about that forum. If there had a been a moderator who was not a "Catholic-in-name-only" from the beginning, none of the controversy surrounding the the Eastern Christianity sub-forum would have ever happened. In fact, that subforum probably would still be around. But since you attacked faithful Catholics, and allowed threads in which people celebrated their defection from the Catholic Church, the sub-forum had to be shut down.

It seems to me, and I admit I was nowhere near the controversy, that if the CAF administration had selected Neil to moderate and Neil was the root of the problem, then the reasonable response would have been to de-select Neil as moderator...thereby dumping the bath water and preserving the baby.

So the fact that the bath-water and the baby went out the door, points to an internal problem for which I have no speculative response.  Wink  But seriously...I do think the problem was greater than any of Neil's failings or strengths.

M.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2012, 05:12:25 PM »

Chris,

Many years,

Neil

I realize that different people had different experiences with the Eastern Christianity Forum (and I do value your testament regarding your impressions of said forum) but I think you are much mistaken to think that Neil is "Catholic-in-name-only". I base that on reading quite a lot of his writings on various fora.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »

Chris,

Many years,

Neil

I realize that different people had different experiences with the Eastern Christianity Forum (and I do value your testament regarding your impressions of said forum) but I think you are much mistaken to think that Neil is "Catholic-in-name-only". I base that on reading quite a lot of his writings on various fora.
I would agree with you, if I wouldn't be giving him the kiss of death by doing so.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2012, 06:53:20 PM »

Chris,

Many years,

Neil

It seems to me, and I admit I was nowhere near the controversy, that if the CAF administration had selected Neil to moderate and Neil was the root of the problem, then the reasonable response would have been to de-select Neil as moderator...thereby dumping the bath water and preserving the baby.

So the fact that the bath-water and the baby went out the door, points to an internal problem for which I have no speculative response.  Wink  But seriously...I do think the problem was greater than any of Neil's failings or strengths.

M.

Hmm. Something to ponder indeed. But be careful not to commit any thought crimes. police police laugh

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Tags: CAF 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: