OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 05:14:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't believe you can use "heavy swingers" and Catholic Answers in the same sentence.  (Read 3013 times) Average Rating: 0
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« on: May 28, 2012, 08:37:59 PM »

I'd like to see the heavy swingers on CA come here for a debate-off...

Yes.
I don't believe you can use "heavy swingers" ( I believe you mean heavy "hitters") and Catholic Answers in the same sentence. If you want some real comp go to an SSPX or trad site for  some real debate.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 08:44:50 PM »

Yes.
I don't believe you can use "heavy swingers" ( I believe you mean heavy "hitters") and Catholic Answers in the same sentence. If you want some real comp go to an SSPX or trad site for  some real debate.

I have. But I wouldn't call it a debate. (I lurk at Fisheaters)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:45:20 PM by Aindriú » Logged

I'm going to need this.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 08:47:53 PM »

Yes.

Alright, but my response is still the same.

Too much advantage, your dojo.
- Mr. Miyagi

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 09:01:17 PM »

Yes.

Not a debate, then what was it?

FE's kind of a liberal trad site, You might do a little better with Cathinfo, although there's much less traffic there.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 09:04:14 PM »

You can't debate people who's main response is pure emotion mixed with blind faith. There was no debate, it was only ever "nuh uh".

I'm going to need this.
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 09:04:39 PM »

Yes.

- Mr. Miyagi
You can never win the big one without some road wins.

Besides, competing in someones else's house makes you a better competitor. Wink

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 09:07:12 PM »

You can't debate people who's main response is pure emotion mixed with blind faith. There was no debate, it was only ever "nuh uh".
Sounds like you were on an Evangelical forum instead of a trad one. Grin

But I agree wholeheartedly.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 09:08:24 PM »

FE's kind of a liberal trad site, You might do a little better with Cathinfo, although there's much less traffic there.

I'll check it out.

BTW, how can you be a liberal trad?

I'm going to need this.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 09:14:07 PM »

Yes.

- Mr. Miyagi

That's why CAF, Fish Eaters et alia won't open the door to us Orthodox.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 09:15:39 PM »

I'll check it out.

Exactly!

It's a misnomer.

But that doesn't stop some anyway.

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 09:19:07 PM »

Yes.

- Mr. Miyagi

Shame on them then.

Truth is never afraid.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 09:45:31 PM »

Yes.

FE has always seemed ... I guess you could say "hardcore trad" to me. (But then, perhaps I'm not in a great position to say, since the only other one I've spent much time on is the "traditional" subforum of the Catholic Answers Forum.)

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 09:46:54 PM »

Yes.

- Mr. Miyagi

Have you already forgotten about the old EC (Eastern Christianity) subforum at CAF?

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 09:55:28 AM »

I'll check it out.

Exactly!

It's a misnomer.

But you have ever noticed that when some people say "So-and-so is a traditionalist" the way the say traditionalist sounds more like fundamentalist?

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 11:38:28 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I'll check it out.

Exactly!

It's a misnomer.

But you have ever noticed that when some people say "So-and-so is a traditionalist" the way the say traditionalist sounds more like fundamentalist?

Exactly, there is a world of difference between traditionalism and fundamentalism.  In regards to Liberal Trad, I'd say that blends just find, considering that in the Gospel Jesus both tells us to pay our taxes, not to gripe about the government, and most importantly to care for the needs of ALL people in our society regardless of merit.  
here exist also sinful inequalities that affect millions of men and women. These are in open contradiction of the Gospel:

Their equal dignity as persons demands that we strive for fairer and more humane conditions. Excessive economic and social disparity between individuals and peoples of the one human race is a source of scandal and militates against social justice, equity, human dignity, as well as social and international peace.44
The principle of solidarity, also articulated in terms of "friendship" or "social charity," is a direct demand of human and Christian brotherhood.45

An error, "today abundantly widespread, is disregard for the law of human solidarity and charity, dictated and imposed both by our common origin and by the equality in rational nature of all men, whatever nation they belong to. This law is sealed by the sacrifice of redemption offered by Jesus Christ on the altar of the Cross to his heavenly Father, on behalf of sinful humanity."46
1940 Solidarity is manifested in the first place by the distribution of goods and remuneration for work. It also presupposes the effort for a more just social order where tensions are better able to be reduced and conflicts more readily settled by negotiation.

1941 Socio-economic problems can be resolved only with the help of all the forms of solidarity: solidarity of the poor among themselves, between rich and poor, of workers among themselves, between employers and employees in a business, solidarity among nations and peoples. International solidarity is a requirement of the moral order; world peace depends in part upon this.

1942 The virtue of solidarity goes beyond material goods. In spreading the spiritual goods of the faith, the Church has promoted, and often opened new paths for, the development of temporal goods as well. And so throughout the centuries has the Lord's saying been verified: "Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things shall be yours as well":47

For two thousand years this sentiment has lived and endured in the soul of the Church, impelling souls then and now to the heroic charity of monastic farmers, liberators of slaves, healers of the sick, and messengers of faith, civilization, and science to all generations and all peoples for the sake of creating the social conditions capable of offering to everyone possible a life worthy of man and of a Christian.48
Catechism of the Catholic Church from vatican.va

Sounds a lot like a Leftist agenda too me Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:39:26 AM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 12:19:17 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I'll check it out.

Exactly!

It's a misnomer.

Exactly, there is a world of difference between traditionalism and fundamentalism.  In regards to Liberal Trad, I'd say that blends just find, considering that in the Gospel Jesus both tells us to pay our taxes, not to gripe about the government, and most importantly to care for the needs of ALL people in our society regardless of merit.  

I'm not so sure about the idea that someone can be both liberal and traditional*, but I absolutely agree with your first sentence.

* Although I guess your point is that the one word "liberal" can have different meanings.

truthseeker32
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA- Denver

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 04:48:30 PM »

I know that several on here were torn between the two for a long time. It's no easy decision for a person to make. I think it was much easier for me coming from Protestantism than if it would have been RC'ism.
This is where I have been stuck for years now.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 08:36:26 PM »

Yes.

- Mr. Miyagi

Shame on them then.

Truth is never afraid.

If the usual Orthodox suspects on the Catholic Forums held themselves to the same intellectual integrity that they demand with respect to the truth, I doubt seriously that either one of those two forums would be closed to them. 

It is when young minds are exposed to full lies and half truths about their faith that it comes time to protect your own.  At least that is how those on the sites approach it.  I don't believe at all that it is ill will. 

I would rather the owners buckle down and learn to talk around the muddle but ...They have choices to make when it comes to what hill to die on. 

I no longer bother dying on the Al Misry Hill for example.  Now there is a muddle.

M.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 09:06:08 PM »

Yes.

- Mr. Miyagi

Shame on them then.

Truth is never afraid.

If the usual Orthodox suspects on the Catholic Forums held themselves to the same intellectual integrity that they demand with respect to the truth, I doubt seriously that either one of those two forums would be closed to them. 

It is when young minds are exposed to full lies and half truths about their faith that it comes time to protect your own.  At least that is how those on the sites approach it.  I don't believe at all that it is ill will. 

I would rather the owners buckle down and learn to talk around the muddle but ...They have choices to make when it comes to what hill to die on. 

I no longer bother dying on the Al Misry Hill for example.  Now there is a muddle.
Yes, quite a mess down there, lying in your own vomit, writhing from sic dixit Maria failing to even to take an inch, yelling in vain with no truth to cover.

Your accusation of "half truth" is a total lie.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 09:07:37 PM »

Yes.

- Mr. Miyagi

Have you already forgotten about the old EC (Eastern Christianity) subforum at CAF?
No, I remember quite well why it was closed, and abruptly.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 09:17:53 PM »

lying in your own vomit

Classy.

Roll Eyes

JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 11:00:38 PM »

Yes.

Perhaps you should go over there and extend an invitation  angel.

They have taken a great dislike to us.  We are not welcome there.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 11:21:14 PM »

Yes.

You may be right -- in fact, there's quite a lot of evidence to make the closing of the "Eastern Christianity Forum" seem suspicious. But at the same time, I'm not entirely clear on the reasons that they had an "Eastern Christianity Forum" there to begin with.

Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 12:50:43 AM »

Wow...we're still harping about the Catholic Answers forum I see.  Roll Eyes
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 03:47:04 AM »

Catholic what?  Grin
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 03:47:59 AM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 07:12:47 AM »

Yes.

You may be right -- in fact, there's quite a lot of evidence to make the closing of the "Eastern Christianity Forum" seem suspicious. But at the same time, I'm not entirely clear on the reasons that they had an "Eastern Christianity Forum" there to begin with.

Closing the forum AND REMOVING IT is the real rub.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2012, 07:26:04 AM »

Catholic what?  Grin

Hey, it's their 'ballpark' and they can and do whatever they want to conserve their RC beliefs.  My only beef is that our answers to their enquiries were always met by accusations of trying to convert.   Personally, we tried to answer from our perspective and did a good job of it, maybe too good at times.  But, thats yesterday and far behind.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 07:32:01 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe they were at one time really interested in this "archane" and "novel" Faith, but you pose an interesting question here by asking why even have this type of forum if you are too thin skinned to listen to opposing theologies.   I guess we will never know for real.  But the early moderators there were interested in what we had to say.  It was the later moderators who put the clamps to our conversations, dropping us one by one without notice or reason from this forum.  Hey, it was good while it lasted.  At least they had the guts to listen. 
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2012, 07:34:38 AM »

I also see that we here at OCNET are still engaged in RC/OC dialogue which is more that I can say about CAF.   The strength of your faith will sustain you no matter which side one may be on.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2012, 08:43:09 AM »

Maybe they were at one time really interested in this "archane" and "novel" Faith, but you pose an interesting question here by asking why even have this type of forum if you are too thin skinned to listen to opposing theologies. 

That's not exactly what I asked, but you're welcome to ask it. What I was saying is more that I don't understand what they mean by "Eastern Christianity".

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2012, 09:01:39 AM »

I also see that we here at OCNET are still engaged in RC/OC dialogue which is more that I can say about CAF.   The strength of your faith will sustain you no matter which side one may be on.

CAF doesn't have a forum specifically for Catholic/Orthodox dialogue, but they do have a "Non-Catholic Religions forum".

JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2012, 09:10:58 AM »

CAF doesn't have a forum specifically for Catholic/Orthodox dialogue, but they do have a "Non-Catholic Religions forum".

How wonderful, us Catholics of the east must stoop to going on "non_catholic religions forum".   Is that a kick in the pants?
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2012, 09:40:46 AM »

How wonderful, us Catholics of the east must stoop to going on "non_catholic religions forum".   Is that a kick in the pants?

Well, the "Non-Catholic Religions forum" has existed for several years (at least since 2004, http://web.archive.org/web/20041029052834/http://forums.catholic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1 ) so it's curious to hear complaints about it now -- that seems to have more to do with the fact that CAF has fallen out of favor with you guys (Eastern Christians) in the last few years.

I think you're right.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2012, 10:40:28 AM »

No, it's not, really.

Joe, no one's *forcing* you to do anything here.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2012, 12:02:34 PM »

No, we haven't started. Some one, from your side of the schism IIRC, thought we should discuss these matters on CAF, and we just pointed out that, unlike here, that is impossible.

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2012, 12:54:12 PM »

Yeah...which is good. I don't really have a dog in this fight because, while I did have an account at CAF, I didn't really participate on the forum much. I just think it is amusing that people are still griping about something that happened years ago.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2012, 01:39:11 PM »

Wow...we're still harping about the Catholic Answers forum I see.  Roll Eyes

I also see that we here at OCNET are still engaged in RC/OC dialogue which is more that I can say about CAF.   The strength of your faith will sustain you no matter which side one may be on.
Yeah...which is good. I don't really have a dog in this fight because, while I did have an account at CAF, I didn't really participate on the forum much. I just think it is amusing that people are still griping about something that happened years ago.
We are not gripping. Nor did we bring it up.  Someone on the other side of schism asked about debates on sites dedicated to the Vatican, and we stated why we don't for the most part.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 01:39:45 PM by ialmisry » Logged

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2012, 02:49:35 PM »

Yes.

Take a look at Al Misry's latest and you'll get a feel for why not...

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2012, 03:40:59 PM »

Yes.

Take a look at Al Misry's latest and you'll get a feel for why not...
...because the Truth hurts, and many cannot take the pain.

JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2012, 03:41:57 PM »

[/quote]

No, it's not, really.

[/quote]

I dont recall mentioning *forcing* in my statement, but If I were to chose to go back on that forum, which is not happening, I would have to reduce myself to a non_Catholic portion of the forum which I consider an Insult.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2012, 03:47:02 PM »

No, it's not, really.

[/quote]

I dont recall mentioning *forcing* in my statement, but If I were to chose to go back on that forum, which is not happening, I would have to reduce myself to a non_Catholic portion of the forum which I consider an Insult.

[/quote]

Here I agree Joe.  And it is not in the spirit of the Church's teaching concerning Orthodoxy.  The management of that Forum needs to back off the tit-for-tat.

Mary

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2012, 04:03:06 PM »

...If I were to chose to go back on that forum, which is not happening, I would have to reduce myself to a non_Catholic portion of the forum which I consider an Insult.

Here I agree Joe.  And it is not in the spirit of the Church's teaching concerning Orthodoxy.  The management of that Forum needs to back off the tit-for-tat.

Mary
^Here here.

Message to CAF: REPENT! RESTORE THE OLD FORUMS! "Force" and "annihilation" is not a very impressive "Catholic Answer," though one might argue it is not without centuries of historical precedent.

(As a forum admin myself (not here) I'd wager the extensive deleted content still exists there but has simply been made invisible).

Message to Orthodox: if you don't want to risk your posts being "rebutted" by removal from the internet, extensive banning and the like, post on an Orthodox, Protestant, or General Theology forum!

It use to, but it was simply deleted, along with with all its extensive and informative content

See the thread "Catholic Answers Forum [CAF] Bars Orthodox Discussion" here www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13287.0.html

Cf. also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_Librorum_Prohibitorum

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:32:13 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2012, 04:45:51 PM »

Yes.

Perhaps you should go over there and extend an invitation  angel.

They have taken a great dislike to us.  We are not welcome there.
CAF is not welcoming to a whole lot of people, not just Orthodox.  For example, they have banned at least one Catholic, on the grounds that he believed that the present practice of granting easy marriage annulments,  for the most trivial of reasons, is a serious abuse in the American Church.   And they ban you forever.
However, there is another Catholic forum,  where (I think)  Orthodox and all Eastern Christians are welcome:  

Links advertising another forum removed pursuant to the rule quoted below

* No Forum Plugging -- You shall not have banners in signatures to other forums, or advertise your other web forum on our forum, or private message others to solicit them to join your forum.  You may link to another forum or website in your signature (without comment), and you may post links to threads on other forums, as long as they are pertinent to discussions here.
(highlighting mine)

-PtA
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:27:15 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2012, 04:50:54 PM »

...If I were to chose to go back on that forum, which is not happening, I would have to reduce myself to a non_Catholic portion of the forum which I consider an Insult.

Here I agree Joe.  And it is not in the spirit of the Church's teaching concerning Orthodoxy.  The management of that Forum needs to back off the tit-for-tat.

Mary
^Here here.

Message to CAF: REPENT! RESTORE THE OLD FORUMS! "Force" and "annihilation" is not a very impressive "Catholic Answer," though one might argue it is not without centuries of historical precedent.

(As a forum admin myself (not here) I'd wager the extensive deleted content still exists there but has simply been made invisible).

Message to Orthodox: if you don't want to risk your posts being "rebutted" by removal from the internet, extensive banning and the like, post on an Orthodox, Protestant, or General Theology forum!

It use to, but it was simply deleted, along with with all its extensive and informative content

See the thread "Catholic Answers Forum [CAF] Bars Orthodox Discussion" here www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13287.0.html

Cf. also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_Librorum_Prohibitorum

LOL. I seem to have been put on the Index Postorum Prohibitorum.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2012, 05:02:33 PM »

Yes.

Perhaps you should go over there and extend an invitation  angel.

They have taken a great dislike to us.  We are not welcome there.
CAF is not welcoming to a whole lot of people, not just Orthodox.  For example, they have banned at least one Catholic, on the grounds that he believed that the present practice of granting easy marriage annulments,  for the most trivial of reasons, is a serious abuse in the American Church.   And they ban you forever.
However, there is another Catholic forum,  where (I think)  Orthodox and all Eastern Christians are welcome:  

Links advertising another forum removed pursuant to the rule quoted below

* No Forum Plugging -- You shall not have banners in signatures to other forums, or advertise your other web forum on our forum, or private message others to solicit them to join your forum.  You may link to another forum or website in your signature (without comment), and you may post links to threads on other forums, as long as they are pertinent to discussions here.
(highlighting mine)

-PtA

Do not be too hasty!!   My co-religionist, Mr. Vernosky on the ByzCathForum has banned me for life for any number of reasons most of which are reserved for those he does not like,  for I and my friends there have observed that the same behaviors, and worse, are acceptable from those of whom he approves and with whom he is personal friends.

There is no end to man's humanity to man...

M.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:27:44 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

Tags: CAF 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: